Debate Mansion

Are men allowed to cry?

DaddyMarvel thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 10 years ago
Think of a situation. You're a guy - a tough one, that too. You are flanked by your male friends all the time who do nothing but project their hyperactive testosterone levels. You poke fun at random bypassers, you comment on how funny one looks, and you throw wild tantrums at the drop of a hat. You are - what they call - the perfect epitome of a MASCULINE IDENTITY in the society.

However, deep down inside you do have "emotions" that are, perhaps, concealed at times. So it happens one day that you are hurt. You're fragile and vulnerable. You are on the brink of collapse emotionally. Your masculinity, pigheadedness, and ruffian attitude gets kicked to the curb. The thug dwelling inside you goes dormant on you in no time. Your eyes trickle momentarily --- and you panic!

Why do you panic? Because you are NOT allowed to cry! You are nothing but a figment of someone's chauvinist image of you in their head. You are NOT supposed to portray women-like qualities by crying, whining, and choking on your emotions. You must NOT have any other "lump" in your throat besides your existing Adam's apple.

Would you still cry? Are you ALLOWED to cry? You're a man, aren't you? Why do you care what unspeakable problems you're going through? Are you allowed to?

Discuss!

P. S.: I don't know why, but I am really looking forward to RTH's reply. 😊
Edited by -Roshan- - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Forever-KA thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: -Roshan-

yeh hawa kehti hai kya, sun to RTH, oh RTH
yeh fiza kehti hai kya, sun to RTH, oh RTH

mehki hai fizayeein, RTH kahan hai?
suni vaadiyan hain, RTH kahan hai?
sun le roshan ke dil ke sada
aajaa, RTH aajaa.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioY9S5AKfeg[/YOUTUBE]

I will leave the floor for RTH.
Edited by King-Anu - 10 years ago
LovelyPlanet thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Think of a situation. You're a guy - a tough one, that too. You are flanked by your male friends all the time who do nothing but project their hyperactive testosterone levels. You poke fun at random bypassers, you comment on how funny one looks, and you throw wild tantrums at the drop of a hat. You are - what they call - the perfect epitome of a MASCULINE IDENTITY in the society.

However, deep down inside you do have "emotions" that are, perhaps, concealed at times. So it happens one day that you are hurt. You're fragile and vulnerable. You are on the brink of collapse emotionally. Your masculinity, pigheadedness, and ruffian attitude gets kicked to the curb. The thug dwelling inside you goes dormant on you in no time. Your eyes trickle momentarily --- and you panic!

Why do you panic? Because you are NOT allowed to cry! You are nothing but a figment of someone's chauvinist image of you in their head. You are NOT supposed to portray women-like qualities by crying, whining, and choking on your emotions. You must NOT have any other "lump" in your throat besides your existing Adam's apple.

Would you still cry? Are you ALLOWED to cry? You're a man, aren't you? Why do you care what unspeakable problems you're going through? Are you allowed to?

Discuss!

seriously @bold??? forget man or woman.. does that make you even normal human being?
DaddyMarvel thumbnail
Originally posted by: LovelyPlanet

seriously @bold??? forget man or woman.. does that make you even normal human being?

Apparently that's what stereotypical hooligans do.
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Apparently that's what stereotypical hooligans do.

I'm with LP on this one - I think you have a weird concept of how stereotypical men behave or are supposed to behave. Since when does making fun of people's looks and throwing wild tantrums emotes masculinity?

Anyway, I think it's okay for men to cry. Honestly, I think it's odd if guys (or women) cry regularly or over little things, but I think it's human to cry in a moment of vulnerability or sadness. And I'm sure RTH will tell you that it's not normal if men don't cry, and she will go on to say that men should in fact cry because it's only natural/human and not crying would imply you're an alien. But you can wait for her response. 😆

(Hi, Roshan.)
Rhimjhimsawan thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
My ex used to cry all the time so at some point I started hating men who would cry. But I do think it is okay for guys to cry. I think women would like them to show more emotions and cry now and then. This whole men don't cry thing was probably invented by men.
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Crying doesn't indicate that you're weak or weak character. Since birth, it has been a sign that you're alive...,,sometimes it is a sign of strong onions...But you know,I haven't been able to stop crying since that stranger on the internet said that they didn't like me...😭 Edited by Vinzy - 10 years ago
maha2us thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
This is an important topic. The society has somehow put a rule that men don't cry. We here from people saying 'men don't cry', 'big boys don't cry' etc. 
Men are expected to be tough and are expected not to tell their problems. And those men who cry are ridiculed even by other men and that man who is an object of ridicule could fall into depression. Because a man believes, he has to bury up his feelings, (And this belief is not conscious, but a subconscious belief), he finds there is a lot of anger within him which again is considered a taboo. He could be prone to depression. Again, it is difficult for a male to open up to a psychologist because he believes he is not to open up with his feelings. He considers something is wrong with him, if he opens up and tells he has some problems. Therefore, the number of males who commit suicide is much higher than the number of women.

When a man believes, the society expects him not to cry, he tends to be harsh on himself. One rule which applies for both men and women, if they have to improve themselves is they have to practice being gentle, tender, understanding and loving to themselves which becomes possible when they are able to accept their feelings. Is this all easier for women than for men? But those men who improved in life had been those who gave permission for themselves to cry.

DaddyMarvel thumbnail
Originally posted by: *Woh Ajnabee*

I'm with LP on this one - I think you have a weird concept of how stereotypical men behave or are supposed to behave. Since when does making fun of people's looks and throwing wild tantrums emotes masculinity?

Anyway, I think it's okay for men to cry. Honestly, I think it's odd if guys (or women) cry regularly or over little things, but I think it's human to cry in a moment of vulnerability or sadness. And I'm sure RTH will tell you that it's not normal if men don't cry, and she will go on to say that men should in fact cry because it's only natural/human and not crying would imply you're an alien. But you can wait for her response. 😆

(Hi, Roshan.)

Nope, that is not MY concept. That is a hypothetical situation I put forward, based on my observation. The point was not to glorify such men; it was to highlight a given situation based on facts. There are boorish, pigheaded men out there who have the audacity to behave that way and call themselves all mardaana and what not. However, when their shit hits the fan, they are in a fix and tend to hide their bloodshot eyes and runny nose under the mask of their masculinity.

DaddyMarvel thumbnail
Originally posted by: Perfangel5655

My ex used to cry all the time so at some point I started hating men who would cry. But I do think it is okay for guys to cry. I think women would like them to show more emotions and cry now and then. This whole men don't cry thing was probably invented by men.

Or perhaps by a bunch of evil mothers-in-law who expected way too much from their sons-in-law. 😆