Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Proud-India thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 10 years ago

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

How and why did a discussion on India's next PM turn into an Indo-Pak issue. πŸ˜†

Fear maybe the wrong word. Apprehensive would be a better term. It would be foolish not to be apprehensive. No matter how small, large, weak or strong your neighboring country is, you have to have  a pulse on their politics. It is a very sensible thing to do. Modi's attitude towards national security, especially the Pakistan borders is not that complacent as Congress. No one is saying Pakistan is running like chickens who think the sky is falling. Pakistan is merely concerned about how Modi will affect foreign relations, and it is a sensible concern. Even many western nations like UK, USA, and Canada and many Indians themselves are apprehensive about Modi's past hardliner stances.

This isn't an Indo-Pak issue, nor should it be one. This is just foreign relations that happens all the time. It just is common sense to be concerned with the political views and background of national leaders. Even if USA and Canada are not tense, Canada still cares what kind of leadership USA and bordering states have.

Modi has softened his stance and distanced himself from religious right wing views. His campaigning will be on economic growth and progress only. Majority of people voting for Modi are voting because he is a better candidate in the current crop. Gujarat prospered under him and people hope he can transfer that prosperity to the entire nation. Modi is not being voted for his views on Muslims or Pakistan, he is being voted on his views on business, economic growth and efficient government. People are sick and tired of corruption and inefficiency of Congress tenures and want nothing more than someone to focus on India internally and fix our issues. Modi will lose support if he does not live up to his promise of economic growth.

I think Modi will win by a significant margin.

i want to give you sweets & chocolates because you deserve this😳
πŸ˜›
You have spoken 1000 % TRUE point πŸ˜ƒ

I want to show all this things to entire nation , world who always think inappropriate about Modi just because of Negativity through media or oppositions

He will Change India if he will be PM for 10 years

What did Mr. Singh in last 10 years ?

Corruption ? Price rice ?

Soft corner with Pakistan ? & China ?

I am from Gujarat , i f anyone want to ask about development of state or any doubt please ask me surely

Abki Bar Modi Sarkar πŸ˜†πŸ˜›πŸ‘β­οΈ
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
^^

You should definitely reconsider giving out sweets and chocolates so easily. I am stating why India will vote for Modi, not why India should vote for Modi.

Otherwise I am a cynic who doesn't care for anyone. I see all parties and politicians as different brands of crap, including Modi. Modi is more of a lesser evil to me rather than greater good.
Proud-India thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

^^

You should definitely reconsider giving out sweets and chocolates so easily. I am stating why India will vote for Modi, not why India should vote for Modi.

Otherwise I am a cynic who doesn't care for anyone. I see all parties and politicians as different brands of crap, including Modi. Modi is more of a lesser evil to me rather than greater good.

Then tell me who is Really great ? 100 % great ?

If no one then what should we do to select GREAT person in real world in our society ? To make change ?

How can we give hope to Our country ?

We have to select 1

Originally posted by: Proud-India

Then tell me who is Really great ? 100 % great ?

Absolutely no one.

If no one then what should we do to select GREAT person in real world in our society ? To make change ?

Grass roots activism and changes across the board.

How can we give hope to Our country ?

Quit pinning hopes on one person as savior or messiah and start expecting more all round accountability. No single person, not even Modi can bring change without all round accountability.

We have to select 1

Yes. And to me that indeed is Modi. Never said not him. But again to me, he is the lesser evil , not greater good.

Let me be a political cynic. You will never get me to give my stamp of approval to any politician. Abraham Lincoln at best maybe. πŸ˜†
hindu4lyf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Didn't realise you're quite the pessimist RTH. I don't think any politician is claiming to be the solution to all our problems, given India's population and the many, many different problems faced. I don't see it as the cliche 'lesser of the two evils'. Instead, I wonder why after 66 years of Independence (mainly dominated by Congress rule), there are millions of people who still do not even have access to clean water. Forget electricity, roads with no potholes, inflation..a basic necessity like water is not available? Surely, Modi's Gujarat development model will give hope to many such people without access to the basic necessities. And hey, to the people in those villages that suffered power cuts with very few hours of electricity, it would probably be no exaggeration to say that yes, Modi was their Messiah. 

I don't think any politician including Modi, is promising to solve all problems. His only promise is his economic development plan. The problem is that people elevate their personal favorites to be saviors and messiahs, which is exaggerated expectation. India as a whole is very different from Gujarat a single state. The problems common people face is exacerbated by various other political, social, cultural and other clashes between states and regions. While Modi does have a better track record and proven success compared to his rivals, it by no means proves that he can scale his Gujarat model easily to all of India.

I'm pessimistic because I have never seen a single politician deliver on their promises. It is not always due to lack of trying, but the system has a way of foiling even the best laid plans. For me the only thing Modi has is a concrete plan. Whether he will deliver on it is something I will withhold judgment on till he does.

hindu4lyf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
At least Modi has concrete evidence of actively doing something for the people of his state, an economic development plan that worked. If the people of India can give Congress 10 years with very little development, surely they can give Modi the chance to at least try and carry out the Gujarat development model on a national scale. Surely he deserves at least that instead of Congress for another 5 years. Don't be so quick to write someone off without giving them the opportunity to prove themselves first. If Indians themselves believe that India is too big, too complex to sort out issues, then we will never see any development. If someone is willing to make a start somewhere, we should let them and not come up with excuses as to why they will not succeed based on people's expectations. We have people like Kejriwal with all the right intentions, educated, passionate to serve India and its people, but with very little experience to lead the world's biggest democracy. IMO quitting as Delhi CM truly was his biggest downfall. Modi is the only candidate that stands out as capable of doing that job. Frankly, I think Rahul Gandhi would truly be a terrible PM. At least MMS had knowledge on his side, Rahul doesn't even have that.
charminggenie thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Agree with Hadey.
It is foolish to expect Modi or any other politician to deliver all the promises or remove the problems of India in a 5 year tenure. Having said that Modi, still emerges as the best bet, because he seems to have focused a plan away from RSS ideology and more towards economic development. 

In a country like India , which is a nation made up of multiple rainbow countries, it is difficult to maintain a balance between region, religion, economy and social influences. State govts also have become way more influential , this limits the powers of Central govt. to some extent.

But to all those who are wary that Modi might implement a Hindutva vision, i say, don;t worry. India is a  multi-party democracy, we are now sure to have a coalition govt, almost every time,no matter who the majority party is. Also considering the fact that Modi has become popular since he distanced himself from right-wing and inclined  more towards development, I am sure he knows that  a little dance away from that will spell doom for his party. Barring few miscreants in UP and the usual election caricatures, BJP more or less has focused on development. I prefer him , than letting Mulayam and Mayawati run power and make decisions. No more 3rd front joke.

I don't expect too much and too soon from Modi, let him first be elected and pick his men, that will be a good indication where he is heading.

Also, on Indo-Pak - I personally feel its good and healthy for two neighbouring countries to be interested in each others' political affairs. For Indians, in general, it is limited to wishing a democratic govt in Pakistan and no Military rule. I doubt many care for a Bhutto or a Sharif , they want a stable and strong govt in Pakistan. While more aware ones, continue to remain wary about the military control. 
Modi seems to have a personality which indicates a hard-line at the borders , a complete opposite of UPA govt. So yes, it will be interesting to see how he handles Indo-China border more than the Indo-Pak one , for me, personally.

@Dia - I don't think Modi should be written off or built up. He has a concrete vision of economic growth. Congress has hot air and unfulfilled promises. So in the current situation he is the better choice. I don't think he will succeed. I don't think he will fail. I'm neutral. He has asked for a chance and he will get it. Then he has to prove his worth.

@Genie - I agree. Majority of people whom I know supporting Modi are repulsed by communal politics. He has the youth and modern India vote solely because of his track record in economic growth. He has worked hard to distance himself from the ideology. I doubt that he will go back to those views. That being said there is a small amount of people voting based on "Hindutva" and BJP part members still adhering to the policy. The only hope and optimism I have is that majority of Indians will not compromise secularism for economic growth. India is and will be a secular state.

Speaking of Indo Pak - I think both countries need pragmatic leaders focused on economic growth. It does not economically benefit India or Pakistan to waste resources in national rivalry when there are problems to fix back home. I am curious to see how Modi handles foreign relations with neighbors. I am a lot more concerned with China encroaching on India's sovereignty these days than Pakistan.

Forever-KA thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: hindu4lyf

Lol erm..ok then. KA I didn't realise that's the way an analysis was done. Maybe I should copy and paste people's comments from TOI and NDTV articles to see how many votes each party will get and who has more support?

Once again let me repeat, it was not a personal attack so I do not see the reason for you to get defensive all the time. Similarly, if you ask me or many other educated youth the name of the Scottish First Minister (who has been in the news a lot lately for the debate on the Scottish Referendum), I would not remember and would have to google his name. I am not saying none of the educated population knows about Pakistani current events but yes, there was very little hype and interest around our neighbour's elections.

You did not realise because that was not an analysis H4L. lol. That was evidence showing that Indians do check news sites of Pakistan and take time to post there. Even I do not do that. lol. In fact almost 60 percent comments were from Indians.

I stated my views on a post which stated that Pakistanis were in fear because of Modu. You got defensive and started telling all of us here how educated Indians do not know whats going on in Pakistan. I fail to see how you are telling me that I got defensive. I am merely replying to your point with evidence that I happen to see yesterday. I thought why not I substantiate my take with this.

And you think Pakistanis know about events in India? lol. I doubt they can go beyond Modi and Gandhi let alone lalitah, mulayam et al.

To repeat context of my response was educated Indians and Pakistanis and there I believe they do know about each other and they are interested. That was my only point. You are right that most do not care, nor aware of each others and maybe not even intertested.

Thanks and your highness needs to sleep now.

Takhliya (King needs privacy now)