Next Prime Minister of India - Page 8

Posted: 9 years ago
Originally posted by return_to_hades

I was under the assumption that St. Xaviers Mumbai was a private college.

If it is a govt. aided college, then full legal action should be taken against the principal for expressing political views on govt. funds. If there are no such legal provisions, one should be made.

However, sad but true I have seen several govt. run schools in Bombay do such things.

neither this nor the bollywood pseudo intellectual's club's appeal for secularism  is wrong. only a darpok will be nervous abt modi's prospects due to some private individuals opinion. the bjp did not protest when lata mangeshkar said she wants him to be pm, or when nagardjuna praised him immensely! this is a democracy.

and besides, this won't affect even a municipal corporation segment, leave alone parliament πŸ˜†
[QUOTE=return_to_hades]

I was under the assumption that St. Xaviers Mumbai was a private college.

If it is a govt. aided college, then full legal action should be taken against the principal for expressing political views on govt. funds. If there are no such legal provisions, one should be made.

EC's legislation has certain regulations, the problem is they are too soft  to send a collective message. 

It is a govt aided autonomous, state university affiliated  college and gets its grants from UGC. 

However, sad but true I have seen several govt. run schools in Bombay do such things.

Well that just doesn't provide an excuse to overlook this incident, rather provides an opportunity to use this as an example.  I think since the laws are soft, the previous incidents were lightly looked upon, St Xaviers is a top end college of India and has an  incredible history and prestige associated with it, hence this incident might have gathered such momentum , but like any start , let this be a moment to overlook our rules and regulations. 

[/QUOTE}
Originally posted by return_to_hades

I don't think it is dictating', everyone still has free will. It definitely is influencing. Perhaps it is unethical for an educational institution to influence its students this way when their duty is to objectively impart knowledge only. However, I think we would be hard pressed to avoid or restrict influence of this kind. It is but natural for people and institutions to share opinions and influence all the time. Businesses are always stating which politicians they support and sending messages to employees. It is just a lot more jarring for a school to do so as unlike businesses they are not supposed to have such agendas. It is not just Xaviers alone. In Bombay, over the years I have seen several educational institutions express support for all kinds of political beliefs. I don't think it is ethical because when schools do so, it is stripping away the students ability to make their informed personal choices. However, until we pass laws limiting political speech in private institutions it will be unavoidable.

that's where i would say "control yaar". See it might be natural to try and influence others, but it's still plain wrong for people in authority in one field to use their influence on their employees/ students/ wards on other matters. For starters, the school should be sued for promising to impart education according to a certain prescribed syllabus but delivering something else altogether. Also, taken to an extreme, this is the sort of defense the bozo boss at work can use to sexually harass his female employee. He can always say it is "natural" to be attracted to the female, but we should know better. Control yaar😊  
Just to highlight the double standards - here's a hypothetical situation. As far as I'm aware, Xavier's has a 50% quota for Christians. (correct me if i'm wrong) Now if a similar message was sent out in support of the BJP by the principal of a Hindu college in Mumbai, can you imagine the outrage? We'd have British and American newspapers writing numerous articles about how secular India is a thing of the past and how India is doomed. Double standards.
^^ There was objection to the Indian govt minting coins with Vaishno Devi's image as it was thought to be non secular. Would people be open to having Christ's or the prophet's image on the coins?
Originally posted by mr.ass

depends: here are the following cases:

modi wave completely fails and bjp gets 120 - 140:

congress supported by third front , RaGa as PM (ugh)

modi wave not really there, but anti congress wave is present  bjp gets 150 - 160 :

third front by congress support, with nitish kumar as PM.
 or
bjp with lots of allies without modi as PM, probably sushma or jaitley or advani

modi effect is there, but not mega wave , bjp gets 170 - 190 :

either modi(unlikely) or sushma/jaitley/advani as PM

mini wave for modi is there - bjp gets 200 -220:

modi will most likely be PM, with support from jayalalitha. outside support from bjd possible.

modi wave is confirmed - bjp gets 230 - 240:

modi for pm virtually GUARANTEED, only a few more seats needed, very possible with just jayalalitha and some north east parties and independents.

MODI MEGA WAVE : bjp gets a whopping 250 seats:

modi AUTOMATICALLY becomes pm with just pre poll allies who have already confirmed their support for him as PM.
this is very unlikely, they'll need to get 45 in up and 28 in bihar which is tough. and they'll need to do VERY well in karnataka and maharashtra and mp, etc.

allies : tdp - 10 shiv sena 14, akali - 5 ljp -1 raju shetty- 1, hjc - 1 , tamil nadu parties - 1 , giving modi 283. jaya may give 20 seats as well, giving him 303.

MODI TSUNAMI! - bjp gets 273, ABSOLUTE majority:

mission 272+ achieved! this is 99.99% impossible. they'll need to do superbly in orissa , tamil nadu, and will need to win 65 seats in up and 30 out of 30 seats in bihar  no point in asking who the pm will be if this happens thoughπŸ˜†

BJP alone 276 , NDA -327 πŸ˜†  0.01 possible has become 100 % πŸ˜†  

latest news ^^  πŸ˜‰

Edited by ZenerDiode - 9 years ago