Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

srishtisingh thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
yep this sentence kind of was new to me.bheeshma was wrecking havoc on 10th day.he was so strong nobody was able to check him.he was fighting his last battle.he wanted victory or death.no more pain.
Pehchaan.Kaun thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail

Can someone please refer me to the Chapter in Vol 2 where Kunti disowns her husbands..

I am reading the Eng. translation of the same by Pratap Chandra Roy.
Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
Everything was planned by him only..he knew that he's going to fight his last battle. I could imagine him slaying the opponents like lord of the warriors. The descriptions are so great!

Krishna has no role in his case, except that of Arjuna's chariot driver. Whereas his role is quite significant in the slaughter of others. This is a great point that separates Bhishma from others.
Pehchaan.Kaun thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
On the 10th day when Pandavas realizes that Bheesma can't be brought down in the battlefield by sheer fight, they came to Bheesma himself for suggestions to beat him. It was Bheesma, who told Arjuna that if there is a non-male/non-female person in fronta him, then he will not raise his weapons. Arjun was disappointed, but Krishna reminded Arjuna of Shikhandi..

Then the next day they brought Shikhandi and the rest follows..

In a way, Bheesma himself prepared the stage of his death.. <3 <3..

Well this is what some of the versus claims !!
Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

One that hath thrown away his weapons, one that hath fallen down, one who's armor hath slipped off, one whose standard is down, one who is flying away, one who is frightened, one who says--I am thine--one who is a female, one who beareth the name of a female, one who no longer capable of taking care of one's self, one who hath only a single son, or one who is a vulgar fellows,--with these I do not like to battle. Here also, O king, about my resolve formed before. Beholding any inauspicious omen I would never fight.

After uttering the above quoted words, Bheeshma insisted Arjuna to accompany Shikhandi. He further uttered that let Arjuna grab the opportunity and pierce him with his shafts quickly!
Justitia thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Seven questions - 

1. What was the duration of the discourse between Bhishma and Yudhishthira in the Anushasana Parva? How long did their discussion last?

Considering that this particular discourse comprised of the Vishnu Sahasranamam, duties of a king, etc., and taking into account the "ichcha mrityu" boon of Bhishma, I presume that this discourse between Bhishma & Yudhishthira might not have wrapped up so quickly.

2. Why were the rules of war framed in the Kurukshetra war? What was the main purpose of framing those rules? All those rules did get broken by BOTH the Pandavas and the Kauravas.

Couldn't it have been easier to follow simple Kshatriya CoC instead, when it came to the Kurukshetra war?

3. Did Yudhishthira die at the end of the story? If yes, exactly when? 

4. Instead of the Kurukshetra War, was there any OTHER way that the Kauravas would've been annihilated and destroyed? 

5. Why was it necessary for the Pandavas themselves to avenge Draupadi's humiliation? Couldn't Krishna have done it instead? Was it mainly due to all the vows that the Pandavas took that it became "mandatory" for them to do the task, rather than ask Krishna to do it?

Going completely by the epic, I personally wouldn't have had too much faith in the Pandavas to act, considering how "vocal" they were in the dice hall. Under such circumstances, wouldn't Krishna have been a much more "reliable" option instead, as far as avenging Draupadi's humiliation is concerned? After all, Krishna was the one who "saved" her dignity...

Or was Krishna's POV like,"You five failed her when she needed you the most, now YOU rectify this situation yourselves...I will guide you, at the most".

6. If it was Yudi's gambling addiction that led the Pandavas to suffer so much, then why did Krishna "spare" Yudi? Would Draupadi have been considered a "widow" even IF one of her hubbies got killed? 

7. In the Mahabharata, why didn't Krishna HIMSELF restore Dharma? 

What was the main reason for Krishna wanting to establish Dharma through the Pandavas and Draupadi, all of whom were flawed characters themselves? 
Edited by -Shani- - 10 years ago
bhas1066 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: -Shani-

Seven questions - 

1. What was the duration of the discourse between Bhishma and Yudhishthira in the Anushasana Parva? How long did their discussion last?

Considering that this particular discourse comprised of the Vishnu Sahasranamam, duties of a king, etc., and taking into account the "ichcha mrityu" boon of Bhishma, I presume that this discourse between Bhishma & Yudhishthira might not have wrapped up so quickly.

Pandavas called on Bhishma (who was prostrate on a bed of arrows) on Pausha Dark 2nd Day, stayed upto 8th Day, listened to Bhishma's advisory discourse, returned to Hastinapur, stayed for 15 days and went to Bhishma again on Maagha Bright 8th day. On 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th day, Bhishma was in meditation. He renounced his mortal coil on 12th day. Hence 8th-12th of Pausha Dark Fortnight is called Bhishma Panchakam.
(http://www.hindunet.org/hindu_history/ancient/mahabharat/mahab_patnaik.html)

2. Why were the rules of war framed in the Kurukshetra war? What was the main purpose of framing those rules? All those rules did get broken by BOTH the Pandavas and the Kauravas.

Couldn't it have been easier to follow simple Kshatriya CoC instead, when it came to the Kurukshetra war?

• Fighting must begin no earlier than sunrise and, should end by exact sunset.
  • Multiple warriors must not attack a single warrior.
  • Two warriors may duel, or engage in prolonged personal combat, only if they carry the same weapons and they are on the same mount (no mount, a horse, an elephant, or a chariot).
  • No warrior may kill or injure a warrior who has surrendered.
  • One who surrenders becomes a prisoner of war and will then be subject to the protections of a prisoner of war.
  • No warrior may kill or injure an unarmed warrior.
  • No warrior may kill or injure an unconscious warrior.
  • No warrior may kill or injure a person or animal not taking part in the war.
  • No warrior may kill or injure a warrior whose back is turned away.
  • No warrior may strike an animal not considered a direct threat.
  • The rules specific to each weapon must be followed. For example, it is prohibited to strike below the waist in mace warfare.
  • Warriors must not engage in any 'unfair' warfare whatsoever.
  • The lives of women, prisoners of war, and farmers are sacred.
  • Land should not be pillaged.

the rules were followed till bhishma was the commander. after he fell down , both sides gave up sticking to the rules. besides ,it would have been impossible to defeat kauravas by sticking to the rules. and the first rule is broken by drona during killing of abhimanyu.

3. Did Yudhishthira die at the end of the story? If yes, exactly when?

not exactly. he is the sole mortal said to have ascended heaven with his mortal body. he was 128 years old.

4. Instead of the Kurukshetra War, was there any OTHER way that the Kauravas would've been annihilated and destroyed?

the purpose of krishna avatara was to rid the earth of her unbearable burden i.e mass depopulation. hence kurukshetra- otherwise do u really think he couldnt have stopped VH or even Yudi accepting the dice game invitation? thats why except parikshit no other children of Kauravas and Pandavas are left alive after the war. also the dart of ashwatthama to the wombs of the pandava women prevents any further conceptions!

O regenerate one, I am unable to withdraw it, having once let it off. I will now throw this weapon into the wombs of the Pandava women.

5. Why was it necessary for the Pandavas themselves to avenge Draupadi's humiliation? Couldn't Krishna have done it instead? Was it mainly due to all the vows that the Pandavas took that it became "mandatory" for them to do the task, rather than ask Krishna to do it?

Going completely by the epic, I personally wouldn't have had too much faith in the Pandavas to act, considering how "vocal" they were in the dice hall. Under such circumstances, wouldn't Krishna have been a much more "reliable" option instead, as far as avenging Draupadi's humiliation is concerned? After all, Krishna was the one who "saved" her dignity...

Or was Krishna's POV like,"You five failed her when she needed you the most, now YOU rectify this situation yourselves...I will guide you, at the most".

the major reason thw war was fought was for pandavas to get back their kingdom.  the need to avenge drau humiliation was an added incentive.

"And Arjuna said,--'O Bhima, I will, as thou directest, slay in battle this Karna so malicious and jealous and harsh-speeched and vain. For doing what is agreeable to Bhima, Arjuna voweth that he will slay in battle with his arrows this Karna with all his followers. And I will send unto the regions of Yama also all those other kings that will from foolishness fight against me. The mountains of Himavat might be removed from where they are, the maker of the day lose his brightness, the moon his coldness, but this vow of mine will ever be cherished. And all this shall assuredly happen if on the fourteenth year from this, Duryodhana doth not, with proper respect, return us our kingdom.'"

6. If it was Yudi's gambling addiction that led the Pandavas to suffer so much, then why did Krishna "spare" Yudi? Would Draupadi have been considered a "widow" even IF one of her hubbies got killed?

cause VH and dice-game  was the catalyst for the war and the war was recquired as i have mentioned before. and well yudi and pandavas are not spared - they suffer during their exile and are humbled during the one year hiding - agyatvaas.

about draupadi - no idea!

7. In the Mahabharata, why didn't Krishna HIMSELF restore Dharma? 

What was the main reason for Krishna wanting to establish Dharma through the Pandavas and Draupadi, all of whom were flawed characters themselves?

if Krishna would have killed everyone , we all would have painted him as villain. we might have been ok with the killing of duri & co but would have shouted injustice when it came to bhishma, drona and others
but , in reality he was the one who did everything - the mastermind behind the war. he pulls the strings of pandavas like puppets. he says - they do. they refuse - he creates circumstances which force them to do what he said.

Edited by bhas1066 - 10 years ago
srishtisingh thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I was watching old episode of sp mb.rukmi cursed that rukmini will get separated from krishna.did it really happen.because I read one post abt rukmini ashram where rukmini lived.plz elaborate
TheWatcher thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
In KMG, does arjuna use pashupatasrta against Jaydrath?, because in some version's he does use pashupatastra while in other translations he uses a normal arrow.
bhas1066 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: TheWatcher

In KMG, does arjuna use pashupatasrta against Jaydrath?, because in some version's he does use pashupatastra while in other translations he uses a normal arrow.

Its mentioned only as a celestial weapon , no name is given. But he uses multiple normal arrows after the celestial one to keep the head in the air.