Does every line needs consideration while interpreting Scriptures - Page 3

Poll

Do you believe in every line from the Puranas/Epics!?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

_gReenheaRt_ thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
Originally posted by: Cool-n-Fresh

Sorry!I didn't get it!?๐Ÿ˜•

God existed even before the Puranas were written.His greatness was kept in mind Puranas were written accordingly.But God didn't arise from Puranas.Puranas originated from God.
DharmaPriyaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
I do believe in every line, rather I should say, in each & every word of Holy Scriptures ๐Ÿ˜Š The reason is, I love to keep faith on the words written by ancient sages ๐Ÿ˜Š they were much more Gyaani & Yogi than us, so how can we disrespect their statements? Also, I don't dare to disbelieve a single word of Scriptures as it may misguide my Spiritual understandings & finally lead me to disbelieve God at the end! If I have no faith in any short place of Ramayana or Mahabharata, then it may raise question on my faith towards Ram or Krishna! Keeping trust is the best thing, I would say! If you keep trust you will never lose anything, but if you start losing faith once, it may increase gradually & finally even hamper your faith in God.
There are people who use to say that, how can we know that Ramayana/Mahabharata/Bhagabata characters really existed? but I think, if we do believe that God incarnated as Ram & Krishna, then we must believe the persons around Him in different yugas & yes, in different kalpas. Also there are people who use to say that, there are many impossible incidents in our Puranas & Epics, & they try to interpret them in their own modern ways. But as devotees we can't do so. We know that God can do anything & everything, right? So keep faith on God & also, on His devotee sages who wrote His Leelas for us!
Surya_krsnbhakt thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Cherry, I would like to thank you as because of this topic I have been reading Srimad Bhagavatam even more deeply.
chirpy_life19 thumbnail

Dear Urmila,I love reading your replies.You know there are a good number of knowledgeable members on this Forum and you are one of them!โญ๏ธ

'Also, I don't dare to disbelieve a single word of Scriptures as it may misguide my Spiritual understandings & finally lead me to disbelieve God at the end! If I have no faith in any short place of Ramayana or Mahabharata, then it may raise question on my faith towards Ram or Krishna! Keeping trust is the best thing, I would say! If you keep trust you will never lose anything, but if you start losing faith once, it may increase gradually & finally even hamper your faith in God.'

This is one of those best things I've read on this forum!๐Ÿ‘Actually I have no problem with the divine works of our Ancient Sages which were written 100000s and 1000s of years ago but what about recent additions in our epics!?How can we believe that every line we read was written those Great Sages!?Research reveals many later additions?How do you choose in such cases!?

@Surya,thanks for giving me the credit but I think its all your devotion and love for Krishna!๐Ÿ˜ณ

Edited by Cool-n-Fresh - 10 years ago
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: Cool-n-Fresh

Dear friends I'm here again with a New Topic an Opinion Poll.๐Ÿ˜Š

Does each & every line needs consideration while interpreting Epics!? or any mythological scriptures.On what basis you take absorb a narration!?I'm asking coz I find it difficult to believe in each & every line...

Plz vote and add your views!

Just my thoughts based on my experiences...

There is no "single correct answer"  for you question C-n-F. 

Because each scripture reveals itself differently to different people. And even your own perception will change with time. Depending on one's intensity of faith, experiences in life, - and- knowledge of sanskrit, each line will reveal itself in a certain manner to an individual. The meaning that you derive today will not be the same ten years hence. 

Your interpretation of a particular scripture is your own. There is no hard and fast rule that a certain explanation is correct and another explanation is wrong.

Another person's explanation cannot satisfy you because he has viewed that sloka in a certain frame of mind. You- with a different frame of mind will interpret it in  a different manner.

What do help us - in this long journey of ours - are the discourses / bhashyas written by great masters of the past. They serve as our sign posts- guiding our way. Even in this - you are free to choose the interpretation which suits you the best. 

The same Bhagavat Gita has been interpreted according to Advaita philosophy, according to Visishtadvaita philosphy and according to the Dwaita philosophy. We can choose whatever we suits us.

Definitely a hundred questions will pop up in your mind... And there is no guarantee that all of them will be answered. For instance, to this day I do not know the exact number of Vasudeva's wives. 

But in my quest for the number of Vasudeva's wives (just taking an example, here) my focus was diverted to more beautiful, more enlightening, more profound verses. 

And after a point in time, it does not bother me that I do not know whether Vasudeva had 7 or  14 wives. Okay, it may be an intellectual pursuit and a good question to ask in mythology quizzes, but as I said, after a point- when you come across more profound passages, this particular question (Vasudeva's wives) doesn't seem relevant anymore. And depending on the strength of your involvement, you will discover different meanings.

And here I must add a caveat - English translations of Sasnkrit verses- especially from the scriptures have their own limitations. When you read an English translation, remember that it is that particular translator's version. Sanskrit is such a beautiful language that one can derive mlultiple meanings.

I see this most strongly in the Mahabharata Forum. Because K M Ganguli's translation is most freely available on the internet, each and every one is quoting from it as if KMG's version is the original one. Every one forgets that what KMG has written is his interpretation - which need not  necessarily be the only one.

The debate had came up whether it was Lord Krishna or Dharma which saved Draupadi from the vastra humiliation. I tried to show how a particular word which KMG interpreted in  a certain manner can also be interpreted in a different manner to give a new meaning altogether.

Edited by varaali - 10 years ago
chirpy_life19 thumbnail

Wow thanks for the post Varaali!๐Ÿ‘

This reminds me of what we discussed in Upanishad Ganga AT.Thanks once again and yes Sanskrit is such a divine & beautiful language that it is very difficult to find out an exact match for each n every word.Even vowels matter a lot.

Edited by Cool-n-Fresh - 10 years ago
MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
I think the questions being asked in the title and the opening post are 2 separate questions. Considering each line of a scripture and believing that everything each line describes literally happened are two different things. I do not necessarily do the latter - like you said, Cherry, it becomes difficult to stay sane if you try to synthesize all the diffferent versions in your head an sort out what "really happened". But then there is SO much more to these scriptures than the history/geography/biography/chronology of it all. There are so many deeper allegorical meanings that would be missed if we were only reading them in the literal sense; that's why I do consider each and every line while reading. Like Varaali said, once you start reading into those, all the other trivia of who/what/when/where/how kinda recedes into the background. The little details that vary across versions don't tend to bother me when I've found a lesson to learn from either interpretation.
Justitia thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
If I have to give an example - In the case of the Mahabharata, you NEED to study, analyze and consider each and every line due to the vastness and complexity of the narrative.

But even in general, each line needs to be carefully studied because the same idea can be expressed in different ways. 

And, for academic reasons, of course...
Edited by -Shani- - 10 years ago
Surya_krsnbhakt thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
I just found something else in SB. Related to the wars after Samudra Mathana.  Will post it tomorrow - or rather, later today๐Ÿ˜›
chirpy_life19 thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
Originally posted by: Surya_krsnbhakt

I just found something else in SB. Related to the wars after Samudra Mathana.  Will post it tomorrow - or rather, later today๐Ÿ˜›

Yah plz post!I'm interested to read.๐Ÿ˜Š