Posted: 9 years ago

She was beautiful,she thought, as she looked down at her perfectly made body . And everyone  else thought so too, especially the little girl who put her up  on the desk in her bedroom. The little girl made a point of showing her off to all friends, who visited her, and many adults, too, remarked that the porcelain doll was remarkably beautiful. Everyone seemed to think that it was her smile which was her best attribute, and the doll smiled back at everyone, brighter than even her brightly coloured clothes.

Till one day, when a careless servant, doing the dusting, dropped her on the floor. Miraculously, nothing happened, except that a part of the elaborately designed skirt was chipped away. Scared of the little girl's temper and tears, he took care in fixing it back with glue, so that the doll was whole again, and only if someone looked closely could they see a crack.

The doll was afraid, however. What if the little girl thought she was no longer pretty?

But the girl didn't seem to notice. She still looked on the doll with a mixture of reverence and wonder at something so beautiful, and all was well.

But a few months later, it was the girl's brother, who, while rifling through her desk for a spare pen, knocked the doll to the ground. This time, the girl found out, and after many tears, the brother collected the piece of her head that had broken away, and glued it back.

The doll still smiled, even as the girl said, "But there's a crack in it! She won't be beautiful anymore."

But the brother told her a crack or two made no difference, and after a bit of cajoling, the little girl agreed. But an unnamed fear had taken root in the hollow chest of the porcelain doll.

As days changed into weeks and weeks into months, the doll was dropped to the ground numerous times, resulting in breaks in her attire, her long golden hair, her brilliant smile. Strangely, the girl determinedly put it back together, insisting a few cracks made no difference to her beauty. And the doll was content, even as strangers came to see her.

She felt ashamed, however, when they looked too close, and noticed the cracks. She felt vulnerable, stripped. She saw the smirks they gave, even as they agreed with the girl that yes, the doll was indeed beautiful.

And the doll still smiled, even though there were cracks in her lips and her teeth, and it was only the glue holding her together. As long as the girl still found her pretty, she decided she could smile , even if it cost her to do so.

But then, one day, the girl invited a group of her best friends. Friends are candid, honest creatures, so they told her what they thought of the doll. "Why do you keep such an ugly thing in your room?" they asked her. "This is nothing but full of cracks. Do you really think something like this is pretty? You could get a hundred dolls prettier than this."

"This is mine," said the girl stubbornly, but an odd look crept into her eyes, and the doll saw it. Doubt, uncertainity. Her smile faltered for the first time.

"See, it's so broken it can't even smile," said one of her friends, laughing. "What a fool you are."

The girl turned away, and changed the topic. But the doll saw the difference in the days that passed. No longer did the girl stare at her as though she were something wonderful. Mostly, she just sent her a glance. She stopped showing the doll off to her visitors, and her friends smirked behind her back when they saw the doll, now too broken to smile.

The doll wished the girl would simply smash her and end it all. But for some strange reason, the girl did not ever speak about replacing her.

But that was no longer an incentive for her to smile anymore.

It happened a year later, when the doll was standing forlornly, still on the desk : the girl was arranging her books on the table. Perhaps it was intentional, perhaps not, but a nudge to her side sent the doll falling to the floor.

The girl watched it fall , with resignation in her eyes. Then she called a servant to pick up the pieces, and throw  them away in case the shards cut someone.

What remained of the doll was gathered up, swept into a pan, and thrown into the rubbish heap.

Thoughts?

beautifully writen OS !!
everything was elegantly narrated !!!!
i love it !! :)
please do write more !!!

love
-kiki😳
Edited by -waitingforyou- - 9 years ago
Originally posted by -waitingforyou-

beautifully writen OS !!
everything was elegantly narrated !!!!
i love it !! :)
please do write more !!!

love
-kiki😳

Yay! I am glad you liked it. Thank you so much. I do have another oneshot here- it's called "Burns?" πŸ˜ŠI will definitely try to write moreπŸ˜ƒ
You must really really consider taking up writing as your profession, you know. You're marvellous.

Again, I bow down before your greatness.

PS-Will you be kind to tell me your name?
-Sally
Originally posted by Break.The.Code

You must really really consider taking up writing as your profession, you know. You're marvellous.

Again, I bow down before your greatness.

PS-Will you be kind to tell me your name?
-Sally

This is huge, thank you so much, Sally. Someday, I do hope that I can be a writer, too.πŸ˜†
I'm Shreya.😳
That was phenomenal ! πŸ‘πŸ‘
Haven't read something this beautiful since ages.. 
Kudos to you for writing this piece !!
Keep writing more !
I'm so glad to see you've written and posted again. And so soon too. :D
You know, I've always wanted to write something from the point of view of an inanimate object... sadly, I've been unable to coz I never knew what to take up and how to go about it.

But I must say, this was brilliant!
There is a certain innocent beauty about your writing- well, about both Burns and this one, Cracks, definitely. 
It's a pleasure to read what you write, how you write.

Such a simple little phenomenon of throwing away what no longer means anything to us anymore.
And you put so much depth into it, which was underlying and not ostensible.
It is truly beautiful.

I'm so looking forward to more from you. :)

~Maya

U r just an amazing writer!
fantastic thoughts..
u just "CRACKED" it :D
pm me ur stories plzz
Originally posted by .scarlet.

That was phenomenal ! πŸ‘πŸ‘
Haven't read something this beautiful since ages.. 
Kudos to you for writing this piece !!
Keep writing more !

Thanks so much for liking...will definitely try to write more
Originally posted by .Rhapsody.

I'm so glad to see you've written and posted again. And so soon too. :D
You know, I've always wanted to write something from the point of view of an inanimate object... sadly, I've been unable to coz I never knew what to take up and how to go about it.

But I must say, this was brilliant!
There is a certain innocent beauty about your writing- well, about both Burns and this one, Cracks, definitely. 
It's a pleasure to read what you write, how you write.

Such a simple little phenomenon of throwing away what no longer means anything to us anymore.
And you put so much depth into it, which was underlying and not ostensible.
It is truly beautiful.

I'm so looking forward to more from you. :)

~Maya

Oh thank you so much. I go through these phases sometimes where I just put down anything in my headπŸ˜›
I don't write much about inanimate objects. I think Burns was the first time I tried.

Once again, a ton of thanks for the appreciation...It just makes my day!😊