Debate Mansion

why do some people look down at girls who have child out of wedlock or - Page 4

-bLEu98- thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
@^^^
Umm first of all the contemporary interpretation of Hindu values certainly do not put women in a good place. We see how extremist Hindu parties curb the rights of women in the public sphere. Same goes for all other religions. Religion is always used as a ploy against women. Anyway, this has less to do with any particular religion and more to do with culture. And I agree on the Victorian point.

But what is 'proper selection of mate'? How do Indian girls do that? πŸ˜• I'm Indian and a girl too. I don't understand.

And what is the 'rebellious lifestyle' of the west? 

And what's the definition of femininity? How can anyone decide if Western women are more feminine or Eastern? It's their culture right?

Rebellion isn't bad. A conformist attitude is. And if somebody rebels against the established order, how can that be held against him or her?

Moreover whether somebody finds a properly selected mate or a leads a rebellious life, it's their shit, not the society's.

I think you are contradicting your own argument of equality here. Thing is a man's 'rebellious', non-conformist lifestyle is not held against him, while a woman's is, only due to her anatomy, her body. That is Unfair. That's not equality. 
That's the argument.
Edited by -bLEu98- - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-bLEu98- thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: twila

Those some people are generally the people of the east. Us. Nobody care's in the west whether a teen got pregnant, a married woman got pregnant, a woman who is dating got pregnant, it's all the same to them. It is in countries sporting Hindu and muslim majorities where this is a serious thing. These kind of girl's are considered unclean and not pavitra whereas the boy escape's all the PUBLIC humiliation scot free. This is another kind of gender discrimination. I think that's why these cases are very remote in India, Pakistan and the middle east. I don't know why people do it... 

While I do agree to some of the things you said, I think you need to retrospect on the rest. Are you sure the west is this epitome of gender equality? Well it is not. They are only slightly advanced, but yes, women are harassed there as well. Believe it or not. And Christianity isn't exactly very kind on women too, neither in the west nor in India. Yes in India the situation is far more severe. I'd agree that majority of Western men are more well-behaved than Indians (personal experience and I'm Indian). But bigotry regarding the female body is very much present in the west and elsewhere in the world for that matter. In fact Europe is better than the US. I'd say. So I suggest that if you must speak about religion in your argument, you should speak of all the aspects and find out a little more before you do.
QuietlyLoud thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
@Akash 
Things you said about selecting mate etc didn't make much sense to meπŸ˜• but with all due respect I disagree your views about Hinduism being feminist and liberal to women

Hinduism and Islam are two religions which regard women far more inferior to men ..But it has nothing to do with either of the religions..It is because of the patriarchal society and a culture that supports it..You can't blame it on foreign invasions because every society will be subjected to it at some point of time..There isn't a single society/state which had not been invaded and where no wars were fought .That's a part in the evolution of a society and it may influence views of people  but it won't be able to change the belief/culture of the society as a whole.

I don't know about Islam but Hindus like you said ,worship female deities at right,left and center and in spite of that, treat women like crap.I'm a Hindu and I'd say every Hindu should be ashamed of that.From female infanticide to rape to honour/dowry killings and lots more, including the topic of the main post because that's also a kind of sex discrimination ,women are considered always inferior to men, just good for bearing kids and running the household..Of course it may be different in some developed areas but speaking on India as a whole that's the truth..And if British colonization has done any good ,it was to change status of women at least a little like banning widow immolation ,promoting remarriage etc.

In the beginning ,(that is to say from the beginning of modern era) attitude towards the women was more or less the same in every society .Be it in India or in the west .With the progress of time,thanks to technological advancement and education, west soared to great heights and naturally status of the women changed while it remained more or less the same in India and middle east. Education is the key.It gives a whole new meaning to freedom and changes one's perspective.Like they say "Only educated are free".Only when it reaches every nook and corner of the world ,things would change.😊
Edited by QuietlyLoud - 9 years ago
twila thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
This content was originally posted by: -bLEu98-

While I do agree to some of the things you said, I think you need to retrospect on the rest. Are you sure the west is this epitome of gender equality? Well it is not. They are only slightly advanced, but yes, women are harassed there as well. Believe it or not. And Christianity isn't exactly very kind on women too, neither in the west nor in India. Yes in India the situation is far more severe. I'd agree that majority of Western men are more well-behaved than Indians (personal experience and I'm Indian). But bigotry regarding the female body is very much present in the west and elsewhere in the world for that matter. In fact Europe is better than the US. I'd say. So I suggest that if you must speak about religion in your argument, you should speak of all the aspects and find out a little more before you do.

I did not say anything about religion. And neither did I say the west is the epitome of gender equality. It is not. Women there are harassed as well, you say, and I agree, but rarely is it about non marital pregnancies. Out of the 41 percent of out of the wedlock births, a mere 7 percent of the births were considered a disgrace by christian churches, and believe me, I have researched extensively on this topic. 
-bLEu98- thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: twila

I did not say anything about religion. And neither did I say the west is the epitome of gender equality. It is not. Women there are harassed as well, you say, and I agree, but rarely is it about non marital pregnancies. Out of the 41 percent of out of the wedlock births, a mere 7 percent of the births were considered a disgrace by christian churches, and believe me, I have researched extensively on this topic. 

you did speak of Hindu and Muslim countries. πŸ˜›
And Christianity in the US and Christianity in India is very different. Do find out about the Christian society down south- TN, Andhra, esp. Kerala.

Umm first of all the contemporary interpretation of Hindu values certainly do not put women in a good place. We see how extremist Hindu parties curb the rights of women in the public sphere. Same goes for all other religions. Religion is always used as a ploy against women. Anyway, this has less to do with any particular religion and more to do with culture. And I agree on the Victorian point.

Yes,my point exactly, it is the "contemporary interpretation" of Hindu values that leads to such problems..

But what is 'proper selection of mate'? How do Indian girls do that? πŸ˜• I'm Indian and a girl too. I don't understand.

haha... ok , ok.. if u read my previous post, u would know that i went on rambling about retained evolutionary ideologies.. πŸ˜†... so my concept of "proper selection of mate" & "femininity" was based on the those ideologies...as in being careful who u mate with & selecting the best possible mate keeping everything in perspective- devotion, sincerity, status, power, money, faithfulness of the mate ,nothing shallow about it, it is a girl's right to choose the best possible mate 4 herself which has been reserved for girls through ages, guys have to prove their worth..n if the girl ends up getting pregnant in the process b4 the commitment is declared publicly through marriage (?!), the girl is looked down upon..i believe that everybody in the modern human society consciously or sub-consciously still adheres by the evolutionary concept of "femininity"  or "masculinity"  wherein everybody secretly agrees with themselves that " yeah if the girl was all for it, why wouldnt the guy go 4 it?, she let him in & he went for it, she should have known better.."... i know it sounds horrible but i feel that such perception is the root cause of such a biase nature of the general population..

As for the Indian girls, arranged marriage is still very much in practice ( which i m not sure if i support..but the best thing would be Love-Arranged marriage or Arranged-Love marriage πŸ˜Š), so the security of the girls is taken well care of by the parents..i know, it sounds a bit like spoon feeding..i do feel that choosing a mate should b done strictly on the basis of natural intuition & attraction.. but thats not to say that arranged marriages today dont allow any scope for attraction..it does..especially in my home state Kerala where female literacy & arranged marriage is a norm.. arranged marriage do not take place without the concent of the future bride & groom.. so thats that..

And what is the 'rebellious lifestyle' of the west? 

In order to understand "the rebellious lifestyle of the west" here, one also needs to carefully analyze how kids are brought up in the west..please note that, this is not to prove one lifestyle is better than other or something like that bcoz each lifestyle has its own pros & cons..
there is a culture in the west that as soon as kids hit puberty, they are to start their own life even going as far as labeling those who do not manage to loose their virginities by high schools as "loosers"..moreover, by the time these kids turn 18 , their parents become all too eager to get them out of their house & push them into their own individual life & leave the parents in peace..it is a matter of utter shame if a 20 yr old still lives with his parents..so this kind of detaching approach is bound to push the kids in drugs, alcohol & early sexual experiments leading to a rebilious life style..Indian parents on the contrary hold on to their kids at every possible opportunity; highly educated & earning individuals continue to live with their parents to look after them n c it as a matter of pride instead of shame..however, there is demerit here as well, Western children may become rebellious due to their society & circumstances but Indian children continue to be "mama's boy or daddy's girl' for a long period of time..

And what's the definition of femininity? How can anyone decide if Western women are more feminine or Eastern? It's their culture right?

"femininity"  & "masculinity" cannot be defined in one single definition..its definition varies with the context it is used in.. as for the current context, i have already explained "femininity"  in the answer to above question..😊
Yes, it is absurd to compare the women in west & east as there is a major culture differnce..however our evolutionary ideologies are one , & if one is to base such global parameters for the sake drawing comparisons , then i feel it is completely justified..feel free to disagree..😊

Rebellion isn't bad. A conformist attitude is. And if somebody rebels against the established order, how can that be held against him or her?

True,nobody said anything otherwise...

Moreover whether somebody finds a properly selected mate or a leads a rebellious life, it's their shit, not the society's.

True, if only more people practiced this..

I think you are contradicting your own argument of equality here. Thing is a man's 'rebellious', non-conformist lifestyle is not held against him, while a woman's is, only due to her anatomy, her body. That is Unfair. That's not equality. 
That's the argument.

hmmm.. i c it now..that explains it !.. that explains how u arrived at the last two questions..me thinks u & many others failed to grasp the intention of my post.. it was meant to explain Y I FEEL SUCH BIAS IN SOCIETY EXISTS WHEN IT SHOULDNT..i was merely putting forth my analysis of reasons for such absurd attitude of the society...

This content was originally posted by: QuietlyLoud

Things you said about selecting mate etc didn't make much sense to meπŸ˜• 

Anjali, what i meant by "selection of mate" in this context is being careful who u mate with & when u mate ..bcoz whether u like it or not ,girls are expected to be far more wiser & careful when it comes to sex & all things related to it..the reasons 4 this according to me has already been explained in the previous post from an evolutionary point of view..if a girl gets pregnant out of wedlock accidentally or otherwise , it is seen as a let down to her inherent feminine evolutionary qualities which demands her to be careful during such things..n when she does get into such a predicament, it is viewed as a failure on part of the girl..as for the guy in question , it is seen as a credit 4 him that a girl let him get her pregnant bcoz since early times men had to prove their worth to acquire the right of mating & it is not easily given to them whereas a woman can get sex anytime she wants , no worth proving required there, but if she makes wrong decisions there, it is seen as a matter of shame & huge letdown on her part.. i KNOW that it may not seem fair but i was merely putting forth my analysis of the reason as to y such a double standard exists...

Hinduism and Islam are two religions which regard women far more inferior to men ..

I cant speak for Islam but Hinduism DOES NOT regard women far more inferior to men.. it is the disillusioned people with little knowledge of Hinduism who believe & practice such atrocities..what they need is a proper "Guru" to give them proper "Marg Darshan"...πŸ˜†

It is because of the patriarchal society and a culture that supports it..

I am a Hindu & from Kerala, here its not patriarchal but matriarchal society!..πŸ˜ƒ...if u go by that logic, every society in the world is patriarchal, isnt it?..πŸ˜›

-bLEu98- thumbnail
@^^
as far as I know and I may be wrong but it's only the Nairs who follow a matriarchal system and this too has a rather awful feudal past of exploitation of women. Also I believe matriarchy is limited to matrilineal inheritance only, and the Kerala Hindu society otherwise has a patriarchal structure like the rest of the Hindu communities.
rectify me if I'm wrong.

@^^

as far as I know and I may be wrong but it's only the Nairs who follow a matriarchal system and this too has a rather awful feudal past of exploitation of women. Also I believe matriarchy is limited to matrilineal inheritance only, and the Kerala Hindu society otherwise has a patriarchal structure like the rest of the Hindu communities.
rectify me if I'm wrong.

yes the matriarchy in Kerala is majorly based on matrilineal  inheritance, a concept known as "Marumakkathayam"..but y "only"?...is it a matter of such humble importance.?... but its more than just "matrilineal inheritance", the "Marumakkathayam" system in itself gave birth to a lot of worthy ideologies in Kerala Hindu Society-

1. Female foeticide is the lowest in Kerala because unlike other states in India, Kerala has a general belief that it is the daughter & not the son per se who carries forward the generation..
2. Daughters have special place in Hindu Kerala society, it is seen as an extremely satisfying & honorable thing to raise a daughter & see her well settled in life of luxury.
3. A Daughter's education unlike other states in India has always been & continues to be of utmost importance.
4.Daughters are not encouraged to sit behind walls of their home but to go out & prove their worth either in the field of education or in the field of arts but ofcourse its done under strict watch of the parents.
5. Parents are generally partial towards daughters ( double standards) even in simple matters of life besides inheritence..
6. There is a "Tarvadu" system in Kerala which is somewhat similar to "Khandaan" ..a child is given its father's first name as its last name but its "Tarvadu" or "Khandaan" name or "sir name" is that of the mother..

So no, Kerala Hindu Society does not follow the patriarchal structure like the rest of the Hindu communities or better yet , like the rest of the world..it has always been an exception there...however, giving freedom to the girls does not mean they are allowed to roam around & party at night, bcoz with every form of liberty given to the daughters, parents make sure that their daughters r well secured & away from dangerous situations.. 
QuietlyLoud thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Edited by QuietlyLoud - 9 years ago