Do we still live in a RACIST WORLD? (DM VERSION) - Page 3

Posted: 9 years ago
Originally posted by zorrro

Skin color, caste, gender, status,age,  education, nationality --- are some of the excuses offered for discrimination. But what about online interactions where all these are unknown? Dont we still feel instantly drawn to some members and are totally repulsed by others though anonymous? If these occur in the absence of the mentioned factors for bias why blame these discriminations alone ?

I think that some people simply ooze attraction whereas  others repulsion irrespective of the presence or absence of these discriminating factors.

So what could it be ???

Insider-outsider phenomena, we might not be biologically programmed to be racist but we do tend to exhibit groupism due to evolutionary reasons, hence favor some and repel others.  It goes both ways- negative and positive.
Prejudices will always be present where there is a difference of any sorts. But acting on those prejudices and shutting off the logic results in discrimination or racism . 

Familiarity gives a sense of safety , appeasing our survival tactics, hence the basic instinct to be around those which are familiar. 

Originally posted by return_to_hades

What about this?

I got mugged by a black guy. I decide all black guys are thugs.

Both would sound extreme to a third party but perhaps not to those involved.
Originally posted by charminggenie

Insider-outsider phenomena, we might not be biologically programmed to be racist but we do tend to exhibit groupism due to evolutionary reasons, hence favor some and repel others.  It goes both ways- negative and positive.
Prejudices will always be present where there is a difference of any sorts. But acting on those prejudices and shutting off the logic results in discrimination or racism . 

Familiarity gives a sense of safety , appeasing our survival tactics, hence the basic instinct to be around those which are familiar. 

fear of the unknown?
Originally posted by zorrro

fear of the unknown?
Fear, apprehension, anxiety , curiosity for the unknown... 

Also I feel prejudices  like having unfavorable opinion about girls  don't necessarily convert into discrimination unless these prejudices are accompanied by an action. Like stopping a girl from getting education just because she is girl would be discrimination. Not preferring female friends because of a  heart-break seems more of a prejudice. 

Some environments will be more racist and discriminatory than others, simply cause they havent been exposed to a greater variety of outside cultures. but young people these days are more open minded - who knows maybe with enough time some places will be entirely racist free 😛 
The racism is definitely there. The British Airways staff tell the statement, ' Indians comfort and loss of time is of no value to British Airways.' And their attitude was very different with the EU customers. You can look into this link for the full story: 
http://getsetandgo.wordpress.com/2014/06/01/indians-comfort-and-loss-of-time-is-of-no-value-to-british-airways/
Racism still exists but its not as prevalent as it was before. The KKK for eg was really strong about a century and half back.I don't even know if they still exists today.
Edit: typo
Edited by .King-Of-Kings - 9 years ago
It's really very sad to know that in 21st century, Racism still exists. But, I think it's impossible to stop Racism. There are some people who hate others because they belong to a different race. But we can't deny the fact that we are all humans. All people have red blood. We all belong in one Race- and that is the Human Race. It's due to the geographical changes that we look different from one another, And It's due to the diverse cultures that people have different mindset.
And I think that not only India is suffering fromsuch problem but many other countries in the world especially In America, Some parts in Europe especially In the UK, etc.