Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 9 years ago
Originally posted by: Dexterkilaila

I've been meaning to ask someone this for a long time. Perfect time. Would you mind telling me if you are required to pay alimony to your ex-wife Erotic? Is it a reasonable amount or a lot? I am just curious to know about this from someone who has actually been married and divorced in the US.

I wasn't married that long enough to give alimony.  It was a no-fault divorce Laila.
I am looking to get remarried.  πŸ€—

Whats a no fault divorce?

I did not know that alimony was dependant on the duration of marriageπŸ˜• Is it directly or inversely proportional to the duration?
Edited by zorrro - 9 years ago
Originally posted by: LoveProfusion

Yes, I had a quick marriage and divorced 3 years ago.
But, I am better off.  πŸ€—  I believe in the institution of
marriage.  πŸ˜Š

You must be an exception to marry in haste and repent at leisure πŸ˜†
---unless it happened to be a marriage of convenience or to get around some legal tangles such as immigration hassles πŸ˜›
Supari_khala thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 11 Thumbnail + 7
Originally posted by: LoveProfusion

I wasn't married that long enough to give alimony. It was a no-fault divorce Laila.
I am looking to get remarried. πŸ€—

Oh okay. And I hope you get remarried :) I don't know what a no fault divorce is but do you know what happens if the couple is married for 10 years and has kids but both parents work and have good jobs. Does the guy still have to pay her? Child support is fair of course but will he still owe her alimony?
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Original alimony laws were husband to wife only because men earned and women were homemakers. Some countries and jurisdictions still have them. However, the divorce laws have become more or less gender neutral in most western countries.

Alimony is usually paid by the higher earning spouse.

Child support payment is determined by custody clauses and income.

Since statistically women earn less, most cases end up with the husband paying the wife. There are many cases though where women pay alimony and/or child support. There are cases where courts rule no alimony because both spouses will have equitable income after divorce. A prenuptial agreement can override legal calculations.

Originally posted by: Dexterkilaila

Oh okay. And I hope you get remarried :) I don't know what a no fault divorce is but do you know what happens if the couple is married for 10 years and has kids but both parents work and have good jobs. Does the guy still have to pay her? Child support is fair of course but will he still owe her alimony?

Thanks Laila.  πŸ€—  If the couple is married for 10 years and has kids, both parents work, etc.  yes I think alimony has to be paid.  And I live in California, which is even more strict in division of property!   πŸ˜‰
Originally posted by: zorrro

Whats a no fault divorce?

I did not know that alimony was dependant on the duration of marriageπŸ˜• Is it directly or inversely proportional to the duration?

A no fault divorce means when both parties agree that the marriage did not have any wrongdoing by either spouse.  It is pretty much saying, no hard feelings.  πŸ˜Š  If you are married less than a year, no alimony is awarded.  
CoffeeCake thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Depend on reason of divorce.
I m sure its not funny or memorable experience.
There is life beyond marriage and divorce. Never tried to stop ur 'no fault' divorce? . Next time date ur partner for long time before getting married. And its not cumpulsary to get married in 2014 or 2015. Take ur time.
Ms.Raizada thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Well i may be too young to comment on this topic but here are my views :
Divorce as we know is something that finally puts an end to a marriage.. Divorce has its positive effects and negative effects as well. Usually the negative effects are on children.. People tend to take divorce due to genuine problems and sometimes simply.. Genuine divorce is fine coz there is no point in staying in a loveles marriage where both parties to marriage dont even want to stay together. However this step should be taken after giving a thorough thought to it and giving it atleast one try.
Xarina thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
What if the desire for divorce is greater in one partner than the other?  If I was strong enough I know what step I would take.