How do you FEEL about DIVORCE? - Page 3

Posted: 9 years ago
A bad marriage must break.
By bad I mean abusive relationship, no warmth between partners, cheating, marriage due to societal or parental pressure etc.
And many a time children are adversely affected by the problems between parents. In such cases the two should separate, so that the kids don't have to see the ugly fights.
And the children would face a difficult a time initially, but if they are made to understand that their parents are individuals too and their happiness lie not in togetherness but separation, they will try to come to terms with it.
But just for the sake of children if one continues with a family that is unhappy, then it is hypocrisy. There is no harm in breaking a family where one is not happy although our traditions tell us otherwise. Perhaps it's time to set new orders and bring in new traditions.
I don't think divorce is a bad thing. I was divorced by the time I was 21. I don't think I could have lived with that person for the rest of my life. My marriage was arranged and I was married to my cousin, luckily I have very good parents who stood by me.

I feel if your not happy in a marriage then it's better to part ways than to live together in a depressing relationship. However, divorce is a big thing so one needs to tthink hard about it before going for it.

It depends on the situation. A marriage can only be successful when both husband and wife are trying to make it work. Otherwise, its better to get separated to save oneself unnecessary turmoil. 

But if you have kids then things change, then you have to think about them too, the emotional, financial and cultural, as in certain communities and countries, impacts of the divorce.
I feel that two people who are miserable with each other should separate for their own sanity and for the kids'. If they thing they are staying together, fighting everyday, and somehow helping the kids, they are shitting themselves. 
At the same time, divorce should not be the threat you use when you begin a Cold War with your SO. I despise people who through around the world like it is salad at the dinner table. Do not say it unless you mean it. At the end of the day, divorce is a big deal. It is the end of a chapter in your life. Take it seriously. 

TL;DR Do it for your happiness but only if you are sure you need it. Also, your kids' happiness MOST LIKELY depends on you being happy. 
 I have nothing against divorce if the couple has no kids. I don't even care what they choose and why. Their life, their choices. Other legal issues can be and are dealt with legally, if voiced. 

If parents divorce - kid will suffer. 
If they don't and continue with strained relation, unable to mend it - kid will suffer. 
Kid's the collateral damage. Such parents, no matter what they choose and however genuine their reasons be, end up ruining an(or more) innocent life. You ask me how I feel; I hate such irresponsible and selfish parents and consider them irredeemable. 

Majority of women and men  in our country do not have the liberty to choose their life partner. How  realistic is it to expect couples to hold on to the relationship for the sake of their children who may not even be planned for a start?
Originally posted by zorrro

Majority of women and men  in our country do not have the liberty to choose their life partner. How  realistic is it to expect couples to hold on to the relationship for the sake of their children who may not even be planned for a start?

@ bold.. and that is another reason why divorce rate is much lower in our country..an arranged marriage is mostly based on adjustment & agreement rather than fancy notions of fairy tale romance & so they work hard to make it work especially for the kids..in India , once u r a parent ur whole world begins & ends with ur kids..anything for kids..so divorce is almost never an option..couples make it work for the sake of their children..everything is built around a sacrificial mentality , putting others happiness b4 urs..we Indians are so closely knit family relationship-wise, so much so that it often makes the west wonder..they cant understand how a 30 yr old earning established person could still be living with his/her parents..the west gives too much importance to things like love, attraction & rocking sex life for a couple to make a relationship work..and if the relationship falters in this case , they see no reason to be together anymore & simply part ways & look out for other dates/life partners to start over whether or not they already have kids..   

This is not to say that Indian Culture is better or worse than western culture..its simply my analysis..personally i feel that the west should learn something from Indians & Indians should learn something from the west as well..each culture has its positives & negatives..
As for the question , how i feel about DIVORCE.. well , i dont feel good about it..😆..but sometimes its a necessity.... if being together is only making things worse , then its better to part ways rather than torturing urself , ur spouse or subjecting ur kids to ur troubled marriage.. 
It depends on the person, his experiences, the impact and everything is known only to him. So IDK.

I dont feel nice about it though... only reminds that world is unfair, a cruel place 😭 
Originally posted by Quixotic5

@ bold.. and that is another reason why divorce rate is much lower in our country..an arranged marriage is mostly based on adjustment & agreement rather than fancy notions of fairy tale romance & so they work hard to make it work especially for the kids..in India , once u r a parent ur whole world begins & ends with ur kids..anything for kids..so divorce is almost never an option..couples make it work for the sake of their children..everything is built around a sacrificial mentality , putting others happiness b4 urs..we Indians are so closely knit family relationship-wise, so much so that it often makes the west wonder..they cant understand how a 30 yr old earning established person could still be living with his/her parents..the west gives too much importance to things like love, attraction & rocking sex life for a couple to make a relationship work..and if the relationship falters in this case , they see no reason to be together anymore & simply part ways & look out for other dates/life partners to start over whether or not they already have kids..   

This is not to say that Indian Culture is better or worse than western culture..its simply my analysis..personally i feel that the west should learn something from Indians & Indians should learn something from the west as well..each culture has its positives & negatives..
liked that. That's a different perspective! People putting up with each other due to less expectations.
Sadly for al those sacrifices the children don't always think too much of their parents.