bookworm-ALS-- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 9 years ago

"Now, Diya, don't be a naughty girl. If you behave like this, Mummy will go far away and you will never be able to find her."

Two year old Diya looked back at her Mummy, short curls falling over her face. She giggled. "I will always find you, Mummy." She, unlike many other children, spoke clearly, without a lisp.

"No, you won't," her mother told her. "I'll go somewhere far, far away so that you won't ever find me, no matter how much you try."

Tears appeared in the little girl's eyes. "Never?"

Her mother shook her head solemnly.

"Then I won't do it again, Mummy," she said, her pretty mouth puckered up at the thought of her mother leaving her forever.

"I won't leave if you're a good girl, sweetheart," her mother told her with a smile. And all was forgotten...for the next six months.

Diya looked curiously at the big bags she knew people used when they were going somewhere. There were so many.  Was someone going somewhere?

No, of course not. Her grandma was knitting and her grandpa was reading the newspaper.

Suddenly, her mother's words came back to her, and her mouth trembled. Had she done something bad? Was her mother going away?

"Mummy!" she called out loudly. "Mummy, where are you?"

"Here, dear," her mother called out. She was standing in front of a mirror, wearing something shiny on her neck and wrists. Her mummy never wore those shiny things unless she was going out.

"Mummy, are you going somewhere?" she said fearfully.

"Of course not, Diya," her mother replied, smiling.

"Some guests are coming, that's all. Now run along and play."

Diya ran to her grandpa. "Is Mummy going somewhere?"

Her grandpa smiled. "No, no dear. Of course not."

Happy, Diya went outside to play in the garden. She hadn't done anything wrong, so her mummy wouldn't go anywhere.

She had been playing in the garden for a long time when she suddenly wondered. Where was mummy, and why wasn't she calling for her not to play in the mud anymore?

She went inside the house. "Mummy?" she called. No answer. She looked at her grandmother.

"Come to eat, Diya," said her grandma coaxingly. "Aren't you hungry?"

"Where is Mummy?" she said, her voice starting to shake. "Mummy?"

"She's left, sweetheart," said her grandma. "Come to eat, dear."

But Diya couldn't believe it. Her mummy had said- she had said-

She ran to the mirror where she had seen her mother last. Her mother was not there.

"Mummy? MUMMY!" she screamed. "Mummy, where are you?"

Their house was big. It had two floors, the ground floor for the inhabitants and the first floor for the guests.

A winding staircase led to it.

Diya wondered if her mummy had gone there. Hadn't she said she was going to meet guests?

She ran to the bottom step. "Mummy!" she called again, but there was no answer.

"somewhere far, far away..."

She was terrified of the first floor, since it was practically empty. But she had to get up there somehow to find her mother.

Crying and wailing, the little girl crawled up the stairs slowly, calling out for her mummy. But there was no response.

When at last she reached the top, her knees scraped and bruised, her throat had given out. And so had hope. She lay there on the landing, crying till she fell asleep.

She would know later on, that her mother had moved to a different city for a short while to be with her father. Her mother would in fact return , and bring her a sister.

But Diya would never forget that she hadn't been told the truth. Her mother had lied to her. And she had left. What wrong had she done, why had she not been good enough?

At twelve, her best friend- her only friend- walked out on her. She never understood why.

It took her years to start making friends again.

At seventeen, one of her closest friends snubbed her till she distanced herself to stop the pain. But it never stopped.

At eighteen, she forged a friendship with someone she thought was as scarred as she was. And, predictably, her heart broke again.

At nineteen, it was her sister.

Diya stayed quiet, every time. If there was something she'd learned well, it was that begging someone to spare her some pain made no difference. It only made the hurt worse.

She never asked them why she hadn't been good enough. It tortured her, often keeping her awake at nights, wishing she had had the courage.

Because if she hadn't been good enough for her own mother to stay back, why should she expect it of others?

Thoughts?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Crucio. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
One of the best, I have read. 
Loved it totally. 
The c0ncept was so different, that's what made me hooked up to this story.

bookworm-ALS-- thumbnail

Originally posted by: Jhanvi_TaaRey

One of the best, I have read. 

Loved it totally. 
The c0ncept was so different, that's what made me hooked up to this story.

Thank you so much. It means the world to me😳
.Rhapsody. thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Shreya, oh, my God!
This was brilliant!

You really seem to have a knack of presenting your emotions in the most heart-wrenching manner possible.
If the first two pieces tugged at my heart strings, this one not only tugged, but pulled and ripped them apart.
Damn.

You know, I have this great fear of being lonely.
I know that everyone has to leave someday or another, but the only thought in my head is: not now. I want to be mentally prepared for the moment when my dear ones will leave me.
Friendship though, is different.
I trust such a few number of people now after so many instances... and the trust too is a huge thing.
If I trust someone now, I do so thinking that they, at least won't betray me the way some others did.
But again, who can stop them if they want to leave?
And so I'm mentally preparing myself for that moment abhi. Truly.

"At seventeen, one of her closest friends snubbed her till she distanced herself to stop the pain. But it never stopped."
^Can I feel this or what? *sighs*

Aaah, this was so beautifully penned, it was breathtaking.

The pain, after all, makes us feel alive. I strongly believe in his.

Love,
Maya. :)

P.S Thanks for the PM!
bookworm-ALS-- thumbnail

Originally posted by: .Rhapsody.

Shreya, oh, my God!

This was brilliant!

You really seem to have a knack of presenting your emotions in the most heart-wrenching manner possible.
If the first two pieces tugged at my heart strings, this one not only tugged, but pulled and ripped them apart.
Damn.

You know, I have this great fear of being lonely.
I know that everyone has to leave someday or another, but the only thought in my head is: not now. I want to be mentally prepared for the moment when my dear ones will leave me.
Friendship though, is different.
I trust such a few number of people now after so many instances... and the trust too is a huge thing.
If I trust someone now, I do so thinking that they, at least won't betray me the way some others did.
But again, who can stop them if they want to leave?
And so I'm mentally preparing myself for that moment abhi. Truly.

"At seventeen, one of her closest friends snubbed her till she distanced herself to stop the pain. But it never stopped."
^Can I feel this or what? *sighs*

Aaah, this was so beautifully penned, it was breathtaking.

The pain, after all, makes us feel alive. I strongly believe in his.

Love,
Maya. :)

P.S Thanks for the PM!

Thank you, thank you so much. 
My biggest fear is being lonely too.
And though, yeah, we know people will eventually leave us, my thoughts are the same as yours "not now."
Thanks a ton for reading and commenting🤗
.AriSe.To.LoVe. thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
OMG it was tooo good
Can feel the pain that Diya had gone through the worst pain ever
Its the first ever OS that had literary brought tears in my eyes
In love with it
Keep writing more pls :)
bookworm-ALS-- thumbnail

Originally posted by: Sswachi

OMG it was tooo good
Can feel the pain that Diya had gone through the worst pain ever
Its the first ever OS that had literary brought tears in my eyes
In love with it
Keep writing more pls :)

Thank you so much. It means the world to me that you commented .😳
CoffeeandInk thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 3

It was so amazing. 
Your portrayal of the characters, their understanding is so brilliant. And it shows. Despite understanding everyone else's thoughts and motives, the unfairness still stays. And you have captured that perfectly :)

Edited by AzureLicht - 9 years ago
Effervescent_R thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
OMG!!!
This was so realistic!!
Its everyone's story at one point or the other
the insecurities, the loneliness , the pain
Could feel it all
beautifully presented
I m just speechlessEdited by ..Serendipity.. - 9 years ago
bookworm-ALS-- thumbnail

Originally posted by: AzureLicht

It was so amazing. 
Your portrayal of the characters, their understanding is so brilliant. And it shows. Despite understanding everyone else's thoughts and motives, the unfairness still stays. And you have captured that perfectly :)

Hey, thank you so much! Yeah, sometimes no one's at fault really and yet you cant get past it.😳
We've met before , haven't we? What's your name?