Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Veil thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 9 years ago

(10) Bubbles of Joy

Minutes passed, or mere seconds I can't say. The silence around us extended, the strange fear that gripped my heart dissolved, the heartbeat of his echoed under my ear suddenly seemed more obvious, my hands that crumbled the collar of his white shirt loosened. The wet patch on his chest, which was the making of my tears stuck against my cheek as I slowly withdrew from his arms.

As the initial impulse dissolved, giving way to realism, I couldn't get myself to raise my eyes and meet his.

Pretend it never happened.

Of course, that's the sanest thing to do. And hence I tried to get up from his lap as normally as possible, only to have slip and fall over him, again.

Talk about being subtle.

Can earth just part and swallow me on whole, I thought for the millionth time in my life.

My fingers curled and uncurled as I thought about the easiest way to get up, without again falling in his lap ungracefully. All I need to do is take his support by placing an arm on his shoulder, and get up, and jump to maintain a five feet distance. Simple.

Only that I couldn't get my hand to extend and land on his shoulder. Touching him voluntarily seemed so odd, so intimate.

Hah, the snide side of my conscience mocked me says who is in the lap of the said person.

"Aargh" I groan covering my face with my palms, clawing out my skin by pressing my fingers tightly against my face, as if that would solve everything.

Something touched my closed palm, a delicate touch, and I heard a slow Pop, and felt moisture the next minute. I lower my palms from my face only to find the most amazing thing that I have ever seen.

Bubbles. Many of them surrounded me, drifting in the wind, twinkling in the moonlit night. My eyes fled towards him involuntarily and saw him blowing the bubbles from the pipe I had discarded it on the parapet wall earlier.

A large bubble touch my nose and explode, making me chuckle involuntarily.

I felt him blowing a series of bubbles with expert ease, all of them joined to each other, forming a foam. My eyes follow the path of the train of bubbles, and it comes as a surprise when his legs suddenly part, his legs now happily crouched and bent at his knee, his head against the wall, him totally focused on doing the most important thing in the world"blowing bubbles while he so swiftly made me" who was sitting on his lap suddenly fall on the concrete dusty floor with a thud.

"Oww" my growl dies down as soon as I feel another series of bubbles blown onto my face, touching my cheek, and popping involuntarily.

The nerve of the man! I thought as I stood up grumpily, dusting my trousers off dust, glaring living daylights of him, while he stood up himself, and walked with expert ease expecting me to follow him, while I look up towards heaven and slowly mouth to god to do me a favour.

Kill him.

I lie on my back in my room and look at the roof, watching the shadows pass slowly. I had this habit of keeping the window open. The cars that pass through the lane to the back of my house often made the shadows and head lights climb up to my window slowly moving up the wall, as they travelled farther.

That is my favourite past time whenever I couldn't sleep.

I feel my mobile vibrate, and turn my head towards it, pick it with a thudding heart. Only when I open the incoming message, I leave a breath I hadn't realized I was holding for so long.

It was my friend, sending me a forwarded message in Whatsapp. Only when I see it wasn't whom I expected, I realize that I was expecting someone else.

It didn't take me long to figure out that it was only my belongings that were left in the office, and everyone else left by the time we went down, which was the reason why he didn't ask me why I stayed so long. It is because he knew, all the way that I was the only one staying back in the office till that late hour. Him leading the way directly to where my bag was lying, confirmed my musings.

We didn't exchange a word, he lead and I followed. He dropped me home, I let him.

It slowly made sense, everything. Why was he not surprised on finding me at terrace, how he could change an awkward moment changing my awkwardness to irritation. How he would not ask questions, nor would make me answer anything I don't want to.

Only when I had got down his bike and was walking towards the gate of my apartment had I heard him call me.

"Miss Isha Mehra"

I turned then, not knowing what he would say, not knowing what I would say to whatever he would say, if he says anything at all. Of course, my thoughts were also not making any sense...

He called me closer, and I went, stood before him silently when he dug his pockets and produced something for me. It was my pipe to blow bubbles.

"Don't worry that you can't blow bubbles. Practice daily. Maybe someday you'll be able to--"

I didn't stop to hear his voice, but grabbed it and made a run and didn't stop until I dived inside the elevator of my apartment.

I smile to myself as I turn in my bed, and my eyes fall on the teddy at one corner of my bed, which had a red cap perched on it. As my fingers pass on the imitation of Nike emblem on it, the corner of my mouth twitch into a smile.

Strange it was, how his mere presence, and time spent with him took off my mind entirely from Kavitha. I grin to myself as I recount the entire eventful evening, including the Baazigar fiasco.

I embrace the lightness in the pit of my stomach as I close my eyes to welcome sleep that night. Of course, I still have some unresolved questions gnawing at my mind. The flip of my stomach when I felt his lips touch my hair, giving a delicate kiss was real. The strange nervousness of me not being able to meet his eyes while parting, still seemed to surprise me. Yet, I do not think of any of them tonight, pushing them off to a corner of my mind.

Turning towards my teddy with the cap perched on it, I whisper to him "You're a great guy, you know that right?"

After a beat I add as a good measure "Hey don't let the compliment get to your head by the way"

.Rhapsody. thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Aaah, I've missed this, really! :D
I love how this is shaping up! :D
And I must commend you on your titles for the chapters.

Crackling, funny, amazing.

I promise I'll leave a looonger comment next time. :)

~Maya
rutu83 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
like i said before- i'm definitely becoming a fan of your writings!
pls pm me when you update this
Javeria3991 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
wow this is another amazing and wonderful story.
you are a great writer. I am in love with your sweet and awesome stories.
Each update is very funny and i love the titles of each update
update next chapter soon and please pm me.
rev4eva thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
I can official declare myself as a fan of your works. Totally loved it...
Veil thumbnail

(11)  Pehchan Kaun?

Waves.

The white froth of the running water touched my ankles as I feel something light in my heart. The starlight shined over, a silvery blue forming over the outline of the waves that enticed me.

Wind blew across making my hair fly...

There was something in the air... It was dewy, fresh and for some reason beautiful...

I felt someone's arms go from behind, over my waist and before I could react to it, I was lifted over and twirled around. 

While I screamed in the most un-lady like fashion, I heard rich laughter echo in the air...

Laughter that I recognize, laughter that always make tremors run through my spine...

As I was put down on my feet, as the soft sand touched my feet, I felt his hands close my eyes, as he leaned from behind, his stubble rubbing against my cheek.

As I try to touch his cheek, he dives back, laughing.

"Not like that" he whispers, his voice velvety soft. 

I roll my eyes under his hand, at the cheesy way he wants me to reveal his identity, but the smile that always touch me whenever he is around, doesn't dim.

"Hello Kaun" I ask grinning.

"Pehchan Kaun" he says and his voice has that enthusiasm of a child's, while I bite my lip to control a smile.

"Rohit?"

I feel his hands stiffen just a little.

"Oh, is it not Rohit, is it Saurabh then?"

I grin more as I don't find any response from him.

I laugh as I push his hands away. He really thought I couldn't recognize his laughter, his touch, the warmth that spreads in my heart whenever he is around?

As I face him, I deliberately have my eyes closed, stopping myself from looking at the beloved face of his, and my hands touch his jaw.

"I can recognize you even with my eyes closed. It is only you after all, who could get this heart racing" I say as I blink my lashes to finally see his face, only to find him with a mischievous glint that is ever present in his eyes.

With his stubble slightly darker than I remembered he stood there, under the moonlight looking at me with warm brown eyes that could set my heart ablaze.

I murmur his name then.

"Saran"

I wake up with a start and it took me a puzzled million seconds before I had reminded myself to breathe. I push my hair away from my face and blink several times.

"It is just a dream. Just a dream" I chant over and over again until I feel my heartbeat coming back to normal.

I rest my head against the head rest and pull my knees to my chest, and put my chin on my knees.

What the hell was that?

They say that your dreams reflect your subconscious thoughts. Does it mean that I was lusting upon the stubble dude all along while he was blissfully ignorant of the direction of my thoughts?

I admit I always get weird dreams, but ever since I was a child the common theme of my dreams were I wanting to go to pee and not finding any washroom anywhere whatsoever. I later wake up to a mounting pressure in my uterus making me rush to the washroom. That was a classic dream I am so accustomed to. But whatever happened to me these days? This is not the first time I dreamt of him. At first Kaancha however accompanied the poor chap but now...

I shake my head until I feel the unruly mass that my hair is falling in my eyes. I mutter an expletive and push them off my face.

Do I really, like really, really lust on the guy?

Why had I not noticed that before? On second thoughts I am not sure I have checked him out enough to start lusting on him.

"Aaargh" I close my eyes with my palms, exasperated.

"Lack of sleep Isha, lack of sleep is messing with your sanity" I tell myself as I lie down on my bed, and close my eyes.

By the way, the last line I told him was so tacky. Am I reading too much of M&B or what? I am going to change my reading to crime and suspense immediately.

With that thought in my head I bury my face in the pillow and fall into a restless sleep.

Edited by Veil - 9 years ago
felciya thumbnail
I liked the title n spl weird dream It cracked me. When i read this part i started thinking about my weird dreams ðŸ˜† Lovely.
rutu83 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
change to crime and suspense novels😆
and the weird dreams - don't we all have one of those 🤪
lovely update
thx for the pm
lachii thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Hi, just read all the updates till now, very interesting and witty humor,  waiting for the next
Veil thumbnail

(12) Hairy  Harry & the Spongebob saga

Notes to self:

•          Cover Bandra franchise today.
  •          Send the updated resume to placement committee.
  •          Start working on project report.
  •          Return that damned novel in the library.
  •          For God's sake, stop thinking about that stupid dream.

I struck a line, and then another, until the poor tissue paper I was writing on was torn.

Hearing Harry come down towards the dining table, I fist the tissue I was scribbling on, and dump it in my bag.

"Mawwwning" Harry said yawning so loud, and stretching his arms like a dog. Of course, he had to show that he just got up.

"Morning" was my prompt reply despite my desire to pull the chair on which he was going to collapse lazily on, so that his oh so beautiful butt would French kiss the floor.

As he sat down on the chair beside me, he wrinkled his nose, and to my utter irritation, pulled his chair closer to mine and sniffed the air so loud.

Before I could even begin to think what it is, he started sniffing me like a dog.

I pushed his bushy hair off my face as he was busy sniffing my arms.

"What are you doing dog?"

"What perfume did you use?"

"Eh?"

"Perfume?"

Who knows? I sprayed on that thing uncle got me from Paris. Something that smells sweet with a tinge of candy flavour that smells sexy.

As I opened my mouth to reply, I saw Harry critically passing over an eye, raising an eyebrow.

"What?" I asked, irritated.

And like a dutiful brother, he asked the most stupid question.

"Who's the guy?"

For a moment, I opened my mouth like a fish and closed again, not knowing how to respond to that.   

At times like these, I feel like driving the knife placed in the fruit basket inside that stupid mouth of him.

I crossed my arms across my chest, suppressing my utter desire to throttle him.

"Which guy are you talking about?"

I bit out every word, while he tilted his head with a maniacal gleam, picking up an apple from the basket and biting into it, and moaning quite audibly.

"I am sorry" he spoke with a mouthful of apple "Let me rephrase, which girl?"

Deep breathes. Deep breathes. Just breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in... f**k that shit.

The next moment I emptied the mugful of water on his head, only to have him sprinkle the water off his hair, after sitting through it like a buffalo. Of course he had the nerve to add "Thanks. I need not take a bath now"

That's all I needed to stomp my foot so hard on the now wet floor, only to slip on it, and landing on my butt.

A cuss word or two escaped my lips, as I had a strong feeling that my hip bone was broken beyond repair.

I thought I heard a bark so closer, that my heart took a violent beat, only to realize that it was my not so little brother laughing his lungs out actually at my plight.

"You seem like you pissed in your pants"

"Thanks. I just needed that" I replied scathingly getting up, wiping my cream coloured trousers pointlessly.

"You're welcome" he said lying back on the wet floor making me want to gag. Really, how gross can one person be?

"Now I can happily sleep knowing that he whoever he is will stay away from you"

"What f**king bullshit are you talking about you f**king f**k?"

I know, I know, I am over using the word. I never swear, not until someone plays guitar with my otherwise stronger patience. And that was always something only Harry could do. He can irritate a saint, and makes me in turn use language I would never otherwise use.

Popping his elbow, and resting his hairy head on it, he stared at me, raising his eyebrows, he lifted another hand up, and starting raising one by one finger, counting.

"

a)     You are wearing a new dress

b)     You wore the 1600 BC makeup sent my Amruta aunty ages ago

c)      You're wearing a perfume

d)     You took twenty minutes to take a bath, which is twenty times your usual pace.

"

"What has all of this to do anything with a guy involved, you jerk?"

"Because you wouldn't get ready like a human being otherwise"

"How ironic brother, that you are talking about human beings" I said biting my teeth so hard that I was afraid they would just collapse in my mouth.

With that said I stormed off, and shut my door with a loud thud.

-

I closed my eyes tightly as the elevator opened with a bing.

Someone shuffled, someone got out, making me open my eyes and sigh in relief when I noticed I'm alone again in the elevator and no one got in, in this floor.

I almost felt like sliding on the floor with my back against the wall, sighing in relief.

Taking another look at the reflection on the glass walls to my side, I cringed.

Wearing a white saggy sponge bob tee which was a size larger than mine worn over skinny dark jeans, a messy plait of brown hair worn to the left, large black rimmed glasses covering half of my face, instead of the usual lens I wore to office, I look like a typical college student, who lost her way and landed up in this corporate office.

I am an idiot.

A big time idiot.

Yes, I agree after that little scene at the dining table, I was left with no decent dress to wear for office. Half of them were for laundry, remaining were not yet dry, washed just few hours ago.

I still could have picked up something decent, some non-existent kurta I could have found under my pile of clothes, or I could have borrowed mom's world best Kurtas. But no, just to prove that hairy beast wrong, I have picked up the most silliest cheesiest tee and got ready like I would for college, and now amidst the employees who all are dressed in crisp western formals, had I started looking like a lost puppy. A misfit.

"I am such an idiot" I murmured for the nth time mentally castigating myself, with closed eyes, hitting my head with my mobile repeatedly. So busy I was, in giving me all sort of stupid names that I haven't noticed another presence and got shit scared when I felt a tap on my shoulder.

With a jump, I opened my eyes only to come across that lanky dude looking at me, his face devoid of his usual glint in the eye expression. Rather, he had quite a poker face donned on, with his eyes seriously urging mine, not allowing them to look away.

"Miss. Isha Mehra, good to see you. I needed to ask you about something"

The urgency and sincerity in his voice made me take by surprise, making my voice which was to reply him sound unnatural, and high pitched.

"Y-yes?"

"Do you recognize this?" he asked pulling his mobile off his pocket and scowling at its screen before he caught back my gaze.

"This" he said.

With a phone in his hand, playing "Sponge bob square pants" he met my eye with a silly glint in his eye, making me check my tee once again.

Insult to injury.

He did a mock salute at the end of the rhyme, making me fist my hands.

As he stared at me with that interested look, waiting for me to react, for a second something strange happened. Something unusual.

I noticed his eyes.

The tricky shade of brown eyes distracted me. The laughing lines at the corner of his eyes that gave away his smile that was under the surface, had not irked me. It somehow warmed my heart.

But that was only for a distracted second.

A beat later, when I realized that I was made fun of, but instead of reacting to it, I actually started checking the poor guy out, had it happened.

I remembered a flash of the previous night's dream.

As the elevator doors opened, I did the most insane thing, yet the only thing I could think of.

I ran away to my cabin, not stopping even once to look at his face.