Debate Mansion

DEBATE: Has AR RAHMAN failed INDIA with MILLION DOLLAR ARM?

Posted: 9 years ago

File:Million Dollar Arm poster.jpg
This weekend, Disney's MILLION DOLLAR ARM released with a lot of hype.  ðŸ˜•  The thing I don't get it is that AR RAHMAN continues to fail in HOLLYWOOD and his soundtracks are not getting noticed.  Did he fail INDIA again with another uninspired soundtrack?  I think Slumdog Millionaire was his only claim to fame there and he will not repeat the success of that movie.  MILLION DOLLAR ARM released to a paltry $10 million opening.  DISNEY clearly will not invest and have AR RAHMAN do another soundtrack.  Please share your thoughts.  

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Forever-KA thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

I have not heard any of his holly sound tracks except slumdog. I did not find slumdog any great either. Jai ho Jai ho was below average and overhyped. Therefore I am not surprised that he has failed there.

He should stick to desi audience as they have a different sense of music and they appreciate such music more.
reeha_k thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
First off, in my opinion, India needs to stop thinking of individuals who are doing their jobs in any jurisdiction (Hollywood, Bollywood, Pollywood, Tellywood etc) as being competitors in a field, and the vocation being a sport. 

AR did not fail India. He is not competing in the Olympics for India. He's an adult who is hired, and paid to do a job- in this case Disney. And does it. That's the end of that. 

You don't see Canadians going around harping about which Canadian citizen has "failed" Canada in the entertainment industry, you will see it with athletes though who ARE competing on the world stage with other states.

AR is a talented musician, composer and artist. There is NO debate as to him failing India or not, because where was the competition? What was the expectation? Do y'all expect him to produce an oscar worthy score or be a part of an oscar feature every time? That's not how reality works. 
Forever-KA thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: reeha...k

First off, in my opinion, India needs to stop thinking of individuals who are doing their jobs in any jurisdiction (Hollywood, Bollywood, Pollywood, Tellywood etc) as being competitors in a field, and the vocation being a sport. 

AR did not fail India. He is not competing in the Olympics for India. He's an adult who is hired, and paid to do a job- in this case Disney. And does it. That's the end of that. 

You don't see Canadians going around harping about which Canadian citizen has "failed" Canada in the entertainment industry, you will see it with athletes though who ARE competing on the world stage with other states.

AR is a talented musician, composer and artist. There is NO debate as to him failing India or not, because where was the competition? What was the expectation? Do y'all expect him to produce an oscar worthy score or be a part of an oscar feature every time? That's not how reality works. 

hmmm...good point. lol. its not like he is a member of Indian team. Yes this is often a desi mindset where we get emotional and see things in national context. In the end he is making money for himself and not giving anything to his country.
reeha_k thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
I'd also like to add that Hollywood movies aren't hits or misses based on their sound track like Bollywood Movies.

Finally, AR might get to do more Hollywood movie sound tracks, but they'd most likely again only be ones that have an INDIAN theme to them. 
Don't expect him to do the sound track of any Cameron movies. Ever. 
Forever-KA thumbnail
okay. lol.

We should not expect a lawyer to treat you for an illness

We should not expect a doctor to defend you in court of law

We should not expect an engineer to sing a song

We should not expect an economist to be a cook.

We should not expect a cook to play cricket

We should not expect a sportsman to dance and romance in a movie

We should not expect an actor to solve mathematical theorem

We should not expect a mathematician to dance like Hrithik

We should not expect a guy to act like a girl

We should not expect a girl to act like a guy

We should not expect Forever-KA (aka King Anu) to not post lol

We should not expect a politican to lie. okay we can expect that. lol.

I agree that Desi musician are brought up in a different environment and musical background and their rols is often in movies related to India etc or perhaps in mumbo jumbo type jungle movies. I have not seen them in proper English movies. Which makes sense. There is no shame in that. 
LovelyPlanet thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Forever-KA

okay. lol.

We should not expect a lawyer to treat you for an illness

We should not expect a doctor to defend you in court of law

We should not expect an engineer to sing a song

We should not expect an economist to be a cook.

We should not expect a cook to play cricket

We should not expect a sportsman to dance and romance in a movie

We should not expect an actor to solve mathematical theorem

We should not expect a mathematician to dance like Hrithik

We should not expect a guy to act like a girl

We should not expect a girl to act like a guy

We should not expect Forever-KA (aka King Anu) to not post lol

We should not expect a politican to lie. okay we can expect that. lol.

I agree that Desi musician are brought up in a different environment and musical background and their rols is often in movies related to India etc or perhaps in mumbo jumbo type jungle movies. I have not seen them in proper English movies. Which makes sense. There is no shame in that. 

and go crazy with LOLs 😆
Forever-KA thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: LovelyPlanet

and go crazy with LOLs 😆

lol
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
popular track of ARR's 'Urvasi urvasi ' song going international...

https://soundcloud.com/igapromotion/william-cody-wise-birthday

The Hundred Foot Journey will be ARR'S next international release - Directed by Lasse Hallstrom and produced by Steven Spielberg and Oprah Winfrey . 

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8yVhwNS0i0[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Vinzy - 9 years ago
-bLEu98- thumbnail
I fail to get the topic.

Is Rahman answerable to India or our people for not so great music he composed for Hollywood?

The only ones he should answer are the director and the producer of that particular film.

India believes in individual liberty and it doesn't restrict anybody from making mediocre music. Rahman did not consult the people of India before taking up the project. He was chosen for the film as an able composer and not an Indian. He did not make any kind of promise to the Indian people.

So how did he fail India exactly?