Debate Mansion

Idealism Vs Realism

charminggenie thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 9 years ago
While having a conversation about something as subjective as politics ,as usually happens everywhere, the argument entered into the realm of idealism and realism. 
To my understanding the core idea of realism seems to suggest that there are things which exist independently of the mind. Hence realism implies some gap between our experience or knowledge and the world of physical objects (the real' world). Whereas  Idealism explains that the real' world is the world of experience, and hence that reality is in some way mind-dependent or mind-correlated. 

I agree there is no winner in this argument but which way the pendulum swings for the Debate Mansion would be very interesting to observe. 

Care to share the musings?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Idealism is about how you want the world to be.

Realism is how you want the world to be.

Ideally, there are many things we would like. In politics for example we would like a candidate whos views align with ours.

Realistically, we have to choose what we believe to be the best from the existing choices.

Idealism is important because it prevents us from stagnating where we are. It inspires us to dream and hope.

Reality is important because it prevents us from getting carried away. It keeps us grounded and worldly aware.

Balancing both is the tricky part.

charminggenie thumbnail
Hadey,
Ah I guess I was more interested in uncovering the Berkeley's version of the contrast between Idealism and Realism , but you gave a good start. 

Lets see , if we are maintaining the balance then that puts idealism and realism not at opposing ends but as components of a singular team.  With Idealism providing imagination to uplift reality and Realism bringing ideals into existence. 

But can individual ideals collectively give a idealistic opinion in something as broad as politics. Clubbing the various idealist approaches together will make it more realistic. So does that mean , idealism on any subject can never have a united universal appeal? 

-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
I believe in the real...belief is needed only for the ideal..idealism goes on conditioning your mind... For the real, what belief is needed...I feel, idealism tell that 'you can be more perfect than you are'..each moment is perfect, and it can not be more perfect than it is... idealist mind goes on preparing for something that never happens...these type of mind is constantly missing, and the more it misses, the more it plans desperately..there are a few people who will go on waiting and waiting, and they will die...reality always happens...It is always happening...better try to avoid follow a dead ideas... follow reality. And wherever it leads, go courageously with it and you will never miss... You will become yourself... By being yourself, you will become yourself. 😊
charminggenie thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Vinzy

I believe in the real...belief is needed only for the ideal..idealism goes on conditioning your mind... For the real, what belief is needed...I feel, idealism tell that 'you can be more perfect than you are'..each moment is perfect, and it can not be more perfect than it is... idealist mind goes on preparing for something that never happens...these type of mind is constantly missing, and the more it misses, the more it plans desperately..there are a few people who will go on waiting and waiting, and they will die...reality always happens...It is always happening...better try to avoid follow a dead ideas... follow reality. And wherever it leads, go courageously with it and you will never miss... You will become yourself... By being yourself, you will become yourself. 😊

Well said , Vinzy⭐️
Forever-KA thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Edited:

Edited by Forever-KA - 9 years ago
K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
RTH, Vinzy amd KA: you guys misunderstood :)

Topic is ontological in nature in the sense it concerns itself with phenomenalism.

I can jump in but I am afraid soon I will be the only one left talking.

Ties in with idealism I suppose.

Forever-KA thumbnail
okay thanks Mr. K. I have edited my response to reduce noise. lol.

I had some idea when name Berkeley propped up but decided to go ahead anyway. Its okay.
K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Forever-KA

okay thanks Mr. K. I have edited my response to reduce noise. lol.

Sorry, that's wasn't my intention.

But since you are here, and since you said you are deeper than the deepest ocean, I would like to hear your views on the topic.
Forever-KA thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: K.Universe.

Sorry, that's wasn't my intention.

But since you are here, and since you said you are deeper than the deepest ocean, I would like to hear your views on the topic.

hahahhaa...you are so good. but that was in different context i.e. personal.

To be honest I do not have much to say here (unless I google it lol). Besides when you are here I think we should just sit back and read you talking.

Hopefully you, charming, summer, rth, vinzy and others can have a good discussion. I will be all eyes.