Idealism Vs Realism - Page 4

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

BirdieNumNum thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
Originally posted by: K.Universe.

-------

Question is, do you think a cell has a "mind" of its own to do all these tasks? How is it apparently on an auto-pilot?

answer to your second question: it can be on auto-pilot same as any complex robot or CPU. They can run for a long time on auto-pilot before the batteries die out..

answer to the second question would first require us to understand what one means by "mind". If by mind we mean something that has free will, then it comes down to whether we have free will. Problem with free will is it makes the world a whole lot less deterministic/ random (mixture of the two) than the laws of physics would have us believe. And that's the quandary- too much belief in physics and we think we are robots without free will... Doesn't feel nice.😆. 

@Charmin=> the world as we perceive is for sure not the world as it is. We dont know what  external reality is, never can. We just "experience" it through our senses. In fact, we cant even say for sure if there is matter in the world beyond  our senses. For all we know, matter could be a mental construct too. So given what we do know, a blind faith in realism is problematical, at least the reality we perceive...  

good topic btw.😊
charminggenie thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
I would base it on transcendal Idealism, to say that it is possible that these entities control the levels, yet say at macroscopic level the experience of things is about how they appear to the mentioned person, not about those things as they are in and of themselves. 
By acknowledging the other entities I am conceding there is knowledge which might escape my framework of reference but within my realms I get to decide my perception based on my internal experiences. 

@Mr Bird - Good to see you!! On topic, see how politics drive me crazy enough to land here ðŸ˜†
Edited by charminggenie - 9 years ago
K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: BirdieNumNum

answer to your second question: it can be on auto-pilot same as any complex robot or CPU. They can run for a long time on auto-pilot before the batteries die out..

answer to the second question would first require us to understand what one means by "mind". If by mind we mean something that has free will, then it comes down to whether we have free will. Problem with free will is it makes the world a whole lot less deterministic/ random (mixture of the two) than the laws of physics would have us believe. And that's the quandary- too much belief in physics and we think we are robots without free will...

I would equate mind with intelligence but more on that later.

The problem I see here is detecting which processes are directed and which processes are undirected.

Plants convert light energy to chemical energy to produce glucose and other organic compounds vital for their survival, via photosynthesis. Is photosynthesis a directed process or an undirected process? How do we tell?

If I pick up a ball and throw it at you (😊) it means I took a deliberate action, which then tells us that it is a directed process. Where as, if you are passing by a coconut tree and a big coconut falls on your head (😊), we tend to term it as an undirected process.

Point being, we are the ones determining which processes in this universe are directed and which are undirected. And since we assume (rightly so?) that we are the only intelligent life around, to us what we determine is what the truth must be.

To go back to the examples, a cell (plants or humans) or a robot or a CPU have traces of "design" in them implying that an intelligent being probably directed matter to turn them into functional "machines". This is so because we can perceive this intelligence. There is sufficient evidence, depending upon who you ask of course, to suspect that it is not all about physical processes, not all about material agencies.

Now, how much of this has a real objective existence and how much of it is perception is what I suppose we are interested in finding out.

souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
This topic reminded me of 'If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it, does it still make a sound'.
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Is mind means past?!!!!  
Originally posted by: Vinzy

Is mind means past?!!!!  

Do you mean past as in a flashback?  ðŸ˜†
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: zorrro

Do you mean past as in a flashback?  ðŸ˜†

Ya... 'Collection of Matters'...😊 
Originally posted by: Vinzy

Ya... 'Collection of Matters'...😊 

My dear Vinu bhai these guys are saying ki matter haich nahi. Jaab haich nahi toh collection kahan se 🤓
charminggenie thumbnail
Originally posted by: K.Universe.

I would equate mind with intelligence but more on that later.

The problem I see here is detecting which processes are directed and which processes are undirected.

Plants convert light energy to chemical energy to produce glucose and other organic compounds vital for their survival, via photosynthesis. Is photosynthesis a directed process or an undirected process? How do we tell?

If I pick up a ball and throw it at you (😊) it means I took a deliberate action, which then tells us that it is a directed process. Where as, if you are passing by a coconut tree and a big coconut falls on your head (😊), we tend to term it as an undirected process.

Point being, we are the ones determining which processes in this universe are directed and which are undirected. And since we assume (rightly so?) that we are the only intelligent life around, to us what we determine is what the truth must be.

To go back to the examples, a cell (plants or humans) or a robot or a CPU have traces of "design" in them implying that an intelligent being probably directed matter to turn them into functional "machines". This is so because we can perceive this intelligence. There is sufficient evidence, depending upon who you ask of course, to suspect that it is not all about physical processes, not all about material agencies.

Now, how much of this has a real objective existence and how much of it is perception is what I suppose we are interested in finding out.

Hmm seems like this is a case of Dualism , it subscribes to the view that there is both a mental perception and an objective, outside real  world. Knowledge about the outside world may not always be possible and our perception/idea about it might be equally imperfect. 

So what we term as direct or indirect might not be true in itself, but because our inner mental entity as such  hence our understanding. 

@Bold - How would be quantify that? For us , we might say there is a greater sense of perception involved because that is how we gather our knowledge and sense, while for the unknown real world outside the periphery - there is a good chance that we will always have a very dis-balanced opinion.

charminggenie thumbnail
@Vinzy - Mind is impossible to define. it is what you want it to be, information manifestation of brain, intelligence or consciousness. Take your pick?