Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 9 years ago
So far from what I understood of the thread there were following stand-
1- Only ideas, no matter= idealism
2- Only matter is real, ideas/mind are emergent property of matter.=realism
3- Both matter and mind have an independent existence.= Dualism?

but who has taken which stand remains a suspense--hmmm.
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: zorrro

My dear Vinu bhai these guys are saying ki matter haich nahi. Jaab haich nahi toh collection kahan se ðŸ¤“

Okie...Pre-mind stage..like a baby!?!!...But How can you stop the thoughts?!!!...😊

Originally posted by: charminggenie

@Vinzy - Mind is impossible to define. it is what you want it to be, information manifestation of brain, intelligence or consciousness. Take your pick?

I agree, there are many ways of the mind. But it is all mind...and I feel, mind has the capacity to hypnotize itself and can see the object of imagination just standing before it...😊

Originally posted by: Vinzy

Okie...Pre-mind stage..like a baby!?!!...But How can you stop the thoughts?!!!...😊

Babies also have mind of their own , quite nasty ones and  eeewww  at times .
As for thoughts- they seem to have a mind of their own too  Wont stop no matter how I try .

K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: souro

This topic reminded me of 'If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it, does it still make a sound'.

True.

Same as asking if anything exists if there is no one to perceive it.

At a fundamental level, something does exist. There are no questions there. Whether what we perceive is what really exists or an approximation of something that exists is the question.

The added complexity is that we also perceive ourselves so we are sense data too, to ourselves.
K.Universe. thumbnail
Originally posted by: zorrro

but who has taken which stand remains a suspense--hmmm.

😆

it's not so easy.

soon as i "find out" if there was intelligence before humans, if there was intelligence before that intelligence, i will take a stand.

K.Universe. thumbnail
DNA smacks of intelligence. I am simply not buying that a DNA or even an RNA can form just like that, with no "direction", doesn't matter how many billions of years and how many different locations they say it took for it to form.

Even if we are asked to buy that energy can just exist (the toughest pill to swallow), DNA is a different ballgame altogether.

charminggenie thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: K.Universe.

DNA smacks of intelligence. I am simply not buying that a DNA or even an RNA can form just like that, with no "direction", doesn't matter how many billions of years and how many different locations they say it took for it to form.

Even if we are asked to buy that energy can just exist (the toughest pill to swallow), DNA is a different ballgame altogether.

Hmm the probability goes for both the arguments na, I mean it is possible that DNA evolved from amino acids into a single self replicating peptide and then it progressed further. Billion years, changing environment could have facilitated it. But considering the lack of fossil evidence , we cannot be sure of it. Similarly it is equally probable that DNA was inserted as it by external forces- again a probability. 

Won't the answer totally depend on our assumption in cases like these.

K.Universe. thumbnail
Originally posted by: charminggenie

Hmm the probability goes for both the arguments na, I mean it is possible that DNA evolved from amino acids into a single self replicating peptide and then it progressed further. Billion years, changing environment could have facilitated it. But considering the lack of fossil evidence , we cannot be sure of it. Similarly it is equally probable that DNA was inserted as it by external forces- again a probability.

We could get into the specifics of DNA but it could derail the thread a little bit.

It's not about the odds, it's about the direction. It's about the intelligence behind the direction. It's about the 21000 distinct protein coding genes. Granted, "originally" it wasn't this complex but considering it took a consortium, super computers, thousands of researchers and billions of dollars to decode a human genome,  you can't convince me that "nature" did it randomly.
charminggenie thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

We could get into the specifics of DNA but it could derail the thread a little bit.

It's not about the odds, it's about the direction. It's about the intelligence behind the direction. It's about the 21000 distinct protein coding genes. Granted, "originally" it wasn't this complex but considering it took a consortium, super computers, thousands of researchers and billions of dollars to decode a human genome,  you can't convince me that "nature" did it randomly.

@Bold - Agree to this. So that would place this particular knowledge out of the realm of our level. It could very well be possible that we could be someone's illusion  and what we perceive is a replica of the same process. Does that make sense? 
BirdieNumNum thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

I would equate mind with intelligence but more on that later.

The problem I see here is detecting which processes are directed and which processes are undirected.

Plants convert light energy to chemical energy to produce glucose and other organic compounds vital for their survival, via photosynthesis. Is photosynthesis a directed process or an undirected process? How do we tell?

If I pick up a ball and throw it at you (😊) it means I took a deliberate action, which then tells us that it is a directed process. Where as, if you are passing by a coconut tree and a big coconut falls on your head (😊), we tend to term it as an undirected process.

Point being, we are the ones determining which processes in this universe are directed and which are undirected. And since we assume (rightly so?) that we are the only intelligent life around, to us what we determine is what the truth must be.

To go back to the examples, a cell (plants or humans) or a robot or a CPU have traces of "design" in them implying that an intelligent being probably directed matter to turn them into functional "machines". This is so because we can perceive this intelligence. There is sufficient evidence, depending upon who you ask of course, to suspect that it is not all about physical processes, not all about material agencies.

Now, how much of this has a real objective existence and how much of it is perception is what I suppose we are interested in finding out.

i think direction is intrinsically related to concept of time. If we can turn back the clock, as in travel faster than speed of light, then we dont have to deal with direction. Otherwise too, what our minds perceive as direction/ time is an artificial construct if we accept einstein's relativity- time is interwoven into spacetime and thinking of time as something in isolation does not make sense...

as for the distinctions drawn between large/ small DNA-sized particles, when it comes to "mind"/ free will, i dont think there's any. If there is free will at the macro level of humans, then there's free will at the subatomic level too (or so say some researchers)..

.I feel that our entire concept of reality is warped... What we perceive/ measure as matter is likely just energy... Our mind too is also likely just energy- our thoughts for one seem like abstract impulses more so than any mass of matter. Perhaps consciousness/ self-awareness too are a property of energy... blobs of energy thinking they are all distinct... Why that is so, i dont know...

coming back to the debate, it seems everything we perceive is just a mental construct. IF there is anything out there, then it is certainly not what we perceive it to be.

as for intelligent design, i dont believe it proves "mind". For all we know, it's all an accident and intelligent design is the only possible outcome that could have arisen and survived the travails of big bang...

@charmin=> me too. I am already bored with the whole election thing. Just glad to have Modi.