Gone With The Wind

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 9 years ago
I think a similar thread was opened before, but I was too impatient to check thoroughly. In any case, I just finished with "Gone With The Wind" by Margaret Mitchell and I just HAD to create this post.

I don't think the book needs any introduction. It is one of the most popular novels ever written and for good reason. The book is HUGE, mind you! Well over 1000 pages, but I think those who have read the book will agree that there are few books as gripping as this one. 

The story is based in Georgia during the American Civil War. When I was finished, I was left feeling so depressed, I had nightmares. It is that tragic a story. I read the last fifty pages or so like a maniac., for two days straight. I couldn't stop. And I think that any book that can have that kind of impact on you is not just worth a read, but is also worth also a thorough discussion. 

It's not the "nicest" of books, so to speak. It is racist, sexist and Scarlett, the protagonist, is downright selfish, manipulative and will go to ANY extent to get what she wants. The "hero" and her equal in every way is always mockingly cool, and can get dangerous at times. Yet, the story works and how! Because above everything, it is a story fantastically told! There is not a single unnecessary line in the book. And it is a simply but firmly told sentence that falls like a blow and hits you in the gut as much as it hits Scarlett when Rhett says to her, "My dear, I don't give a damn."

Scarlett appears devoid of any shining qualities except that she is fantastically practical, has an exceptionally sharp and quick mind behind a deceptively sweet face and is obsessively in love, for 90% of the book, with a man who is far beneath her. She has no moral qualms and will do ANY thing once she makes up her mind, which is quick enough. She will even lie about her sister and steal her fiancee because she needs his money and will kill a man in an act of defense, without feeling very bad about it. Yes, Scarlett O'Hara makes for an OUTSTANDING protagonist because at some level, you DO relate to her, and because even if you dislike thoroughly, her journey will keep you hooked. Even if you want her to pay for her mistakes, in the end you feel bad and want things to go right for her, when things are going totally wrong. It is only when Scarlett realizes the worth of the people in her life, the people who loved her all the time and she didn't care, she loses them all. And your heart goes out to her.

Rhett butler, possibly the ONLY match for Scarlett, always has this mask on his face that likes to mock and laugh at others. He cheats people openly, likes to brag about his wrongdoings and has a dark sense of humor. But he can also laugh at himself, as much as he can laugh at others. And he reads Scarlett like nobody can and has the nerve to love her for who she is. In his drunken jests, he can be maddening and frightening, but in a scene where he breaks down like a child in front of a woman he respects the most, your heart goes out to him too. It is a pity that Scarlett never realizes this love and pines constantly for a man far beneath her. 

I think there are few characters in the history of literature as brilliant as Scarlett O'Hara and Rhett Butler. There are other characters too that stand out, most specifically Melanie Wilkes, possibly the most genuine character in the entire book because she sees only good in the people she loves and will fight the world for them. Scarlett hates her because she is married to the man she loves, yet she fights for her at every step of the way and loves her like her own sister. When Scarlett finally begins to appreciate and respect her, she dies. And it's like the spirit, the glow in the book finally fades. 

The characters are that brilliantly portrayed and if for nothing else, Gone With The Wind should be read because of the characters that lose tragically. In the end, they all lose their fight and you wish things had been different.

I think I can go on and on, but I will stop right here. I'd love a discussion. If you have read the book, I'd love to know what you thought of it. If you haven't, this is a must read. Like it or dislike it, you cannot let go of this book. I can't say that enough times.

Cheers!
Tanisha
Edited by LoveToLaugh - 9 years ago
you are sooo right! this is my favorite book ever... and finding the protagonist with so many faults makes you relate yourself with her... Margaret Mitchell is an amazing author. frankly i can relate a lot with Scarlett O'Hara. And Rhett Butler is such an original character. Completely honest with honour. Melanie is possibly the only character without faults but surely you will hate Ashley in every part of the story. He is a man with a weak heart who keeps giving Scar false hope and dumps her but later comes to find solace in her... 
I love this book. i have read it over 5 times but can't get enough. Thanks for this post.
Originally posted by ananya269

you are sooo right! this is my favorite book ever... and finding the protagonist with so many faults makes you relate yourself with her... Margaret Mitchell is an amazing author. frankly i can relate a lot with Scarlett O'Hara. And Rhett Butler is such an original character. Completely honest with honour. Melanie is possibly the only character without faults but surely you will hate Ashley in every part of the story. He is a man with a weak heart who keeps giving Scar false hope and dumps her but later comes to find solace in her... 
I love this book. i have read it over 5 times but can't get enough. Thanks for this post.

Exactly! Just can't get enough. ðŸ˜³
You've written it beautifully 😊
I love the book,it's realistic n different...at first,i hated Scarlett but when Rhett said,'Frankly dear,i dont give a damn'', i could feel the pain of her.