Meandering Minds #1 - (For Members Only) - Page 6

Posted: 9 years ago
The picture story...
Literally ROFL

Couldn't get the damn (oops I meant darn) emoticon to work ðŸ˜†
Originally posted by First_Light

@ Mishti: "Non-Indian Shows...Just finished watching Northanger Abbey. Again nothing in particular but I cannot resist a Poirot or  a Miss. Marple mystery. "
Same here. I'm also a huge Jane Austen fan. Love to watch all the makes and remakes of shows and movies from her books! 

Tina have you read Elizabeth Gaskel's novels? If you like Jane Austin then you might like Elizabeth's works too. Two of them (North and South, Cranford)  were made into  teleserials by BBC. If you have not, then you can try them  out. I think the episodes are there on You tube.   My personal fav is North and South. Its based on the Industrial Revolution...and friction between genteel South England  represented by the female lead and working class North by the male lead.  

Varun Badola is another one from the serial world that I like very much. I've see his Koshish, Astitva and parts of Ek chabi hai pados mein. In fact I think I'm going to watch Ek chabi online sometime, I really liked how much I've seen when it was being telecast. I got hooked to Varun Badola after watching Ek Chabi ,,,,,,,it reminded me of the old Doordarshan serial Nukad. 

Have any of you seen Lunchbox? I'm really interested in seeing it. I saw it few weeks back and liked it a lot...its very quirky and poignant. Do watch it if you can. 

@Jia: "Non-Indian Shows: Person of Interest, Bing Bang Theory, Scandal, Parenthood.I started watching Non-Indian shows first with sitcoms- like Friends, Seinfeld, Everybody loves Raymond, then 24."
Yeah I started watching with some of these as well,thanks to their endless reruns! Seinfeld, Raymond, Cosby show, the Nanny, Golden girls. And more recently, Gilmore girls. If nothing else, they're quite entertaining! I even watched that's so Raven just because Raven's so talented. I actually Iiked it!

@ Rekha: "from the tv industry, among males, i like avinash sachdev and manish wadhwa the best. the more i watch samir sharma, the more i realize the beauty of his subtle performance. he also joined the list of my favorites. i like barun sobti and sharad kelkar as well. among females, i like sakshi tanwar, geetanjali tikekar, vibha anand, sanaya irani and shrenu parikh."
I agree about Samir Sharma. He could actually pull it off with some meatier roles I think. I liked Sakshi Tanwar and Ram Kapoor in Bade Achhe Lagte hain. I really liked this serial up until it started taking the time leaps, after that I lost interest and stopped watching. I just started watching the IPKKND season 1 and I like it! Barun and Sanaya are pretty good in it.

@Angie: "Tina,  finally know your name.  Though I do like first_light also."
Thanks Angie, I like first_light too! I just wanted to use it somewhere.

@Chithra: "So as of now I am watching EBP on Indian tv and English it's House , Criminal Minds, Law and Order , re runs of Sherlock (every single repeat), BBT. I do occassionally watch YHM. "
I used to watch criminal minds addictively until I could take it no more. I really liked their problem solving part and team work and interpersonal relationships but I just couldn't handle the graphic crime scenes anymore. Some of those scenes still haunt me. By the way, which Sherlock Holmes are u talking about, the old or the new version? I've only seen the old version and I like it very much.

I'd love to discuss some of the old hindi serials like Farmaan, Trishna etc if anyone's interested!

Edited by misti73 - 9 years ago
Originally posted by Angie12

Misti,  I just watched Golmal couple of days ago.  And I found it as hilarious as I have found it previous times.  You are right that Utpal Dutt was the main reason for its success.  He is one of the best who had a great comic timing.  And Dina Pathak climbing through the kitchen window was a hoot. Utpal Dutt was a brilliant theater actor...he had brilliant comic timing. He also has done some very good serious acting. 

Have you seen that movie of his (cannot recall the name) with Amol Palekar, Swaroop Sampat, Shatrughan Sinha where he was this extremely superstitious guy.  That was another hilarious movie. Naram Garam?

Talking about old movies,  yesterday I watched part of Amitabh/Jaya movie "Milli".  And Amitabh's role reminded me of Shlok.  There too he was a dark character because of his parents and his past and Jaya's character of Milli was a vivacious one.  I was just thinking that it is a pity that they ruined Shlok so much in EBP.  In that movie,  Milli changes him but the change was done so beautifully and with so much sensitivity without changing his original characterization.   Wish CVs of EBP had copied from that movie.  If they can copy so much from other shows, why not do it from a good movie. Shloke earlier used to remind me of Amitabh's character from Mili... 

Edited by misti73 - 9 years ago
Originally posted by Myra.nelly

Misti, love ur pics, nice way of helping angie.. but that second pic looks like more of a mule- mix of horse and donkey, than a horse..

Myra all the horsie pictures were big and IF went on rejecting it. This is the only one that could be posted. 
Originally posted by Myra.nelly

Quote jia.astk

@Myra: All the best to your dissertation. I am pretty bad at thesis kind of work, my love is math.
But I was the talkative one among all my friends in college, so that is what is being used here .
Prison break ..I watched a little bit at one point but later stopped it.
thank you jia, i also love math but this one is a mix of economics, geography and math so..thats y its taking me so long..
..yup, i was and still am talkative..i think we all are here 😆

@Myra: Ok, so you are also into Math 😊. I must say economics, geography, math hmmm.., pretty unusual combination it is. I loved history but history and math don't go together so I took up engineering ..computer science to be precise. Angie is also a mathematician right!! ðŸ˜Š..PHD.
Talking of prison break, I remembered Shawshank redemption, though both are different. 

@Chitra: I am also a software engineer. Who is BC? I am also curious to know. 
oh..you like House! My friends, hubby liked him too, I was one of those who could not take his sarcasm and the dark humor.
Edited by jia.astk - 9 years ago
Originally posted by misti73

@ Jia. Since you like Manoj Bajpai and Nawazuddin, have you seen Guns of Wasseypur? It is a bit violent but I found it very funny too...kind of in a dark way. It had me cackling. Although Masoom was very good but  I prefer the book Man Woman and Child to the movie Masoom. The old Golmal is one of my Fav movies...I like it more for Utpal Dutt. Dina Pathak climbing through the kitchen window is one of the most hilarious scenes.  ðŸ˜† 

Misti, oh ... I watched Gangs of Wasseypur; it was a bit gory for my taste. I do watch action movies but too much of them I cannot stomach. Both Manoj Bajpai and Nawazuddin were exceptional in it, they are just hatke with unconventional looks unlike any normal heroes. Nawazuddin, Irfan khan are now fitting into the roles of Naseeruddin , Ompuri, Anupam kher kind of roles and I can say even better. 
I didn't read this book  "Man Woman and Child" , but I will add it to my to-do list  ðŸ˜›. I am more of a movie buff than books 😊, I did read some during my college days - Jeffery Archer, Agatha Christie, Jane Austin. Masoom I like all the songs penned by Gulzaar, RD Burman music; Nasser was accompanied by Shabana. 
And yes in Golmaal; Utpal Dutt has perfect comedy timing and Amol Palekar tried to match him , I like Hrishekesh Mukherjee movies ,they are simple and light-hearted.  Now-a-days we don't get these kind of movies only slap stick comedy.

Jia,  Gulaal is a good show.  It is by Spheres Origin (same as EBP) and its cast was also very talented.  The only difference is that Spheres kept the characters more or less consistent until the end.  So the villain was a grey character and hero was a grey one who remained like that even after one year of the show.  The heroine was as usual goody one but not a one-dimensional positive irritating character.  They even showed her admitting her mistakes and that some of her good intentions ended up hurting other people.   There was a big confrontation between her and the male lead where she finally admitted her mistakes and where her actions ended up as being manipulating others' lives.  

Angie, I watched very few episodes online recently where she marries her 10/12 year old brother in law to avoid the 'Deeyavrathu' from the villain ie., the older brother in law. Its a bit snail paced isn't it ðŸ˜›...that is the one reason why I liked EBP , the pace ...I don't like if the series goes on with the snail pace, rather I do binge-watching like Rekha says. Gulaal is also more of a family drama, Sushant Singh Rajput who played the villian is talented actor, have seen him in movies; don't know the other cast.
I have to watch 'Chanakya -Chadragupta' that you suggested too, don't know when will that happen ðŸ˜›.

I don't know how this PH allowed their characters to become so one dimensional in EBP when there was no need.  

Probably they changed it due to pressure of Star plus and TRP ratings, its after all their bread and butter; the more the series goes on the better for them. 

I watched EBP after a long time today and liked it in parts.  Astha is still the only one with brains but at least today Shlok was shown in some of his original form with Sulbha.  Though I would have liked him to suspect Sulbha by himself rather than Astha as usual pointing out.  

Yes, Shlok did give a good warning to Sulbha ..just now watched the epi. But, isn't Shlok limited to giving warnings now-a-days. Some of his characterizations are still intact - his attitude, stubbornness, his dedication to his father etc., Remember how he pacified Astha that night by giving the lace nighty without saying sorry. He has mellowed down a bit. I liked their dance, Shlok's dance goes with his attitude..his pushing,pulling of Astha ðŸ˜‰..had fun watching it.
Regarding Astha only figuring out that Sulbha left..well what is new in that? is that how the heroines are supposed to act in hindi shows ðŸ˜‰..omnipotent. Astha is bit nosy kind of girl who can go to any length for the ones she loves like she saved the Ashram people but if only they kept those characterization of sweet, cute girl. ok ..enough rantings for the day 

Regarding Mahabharat as you said in Sonia's reply ,they are taking a lot of liberties in the story line and incorporating some social drama kind of logic probably to appease this generation. But what I liked in this Mahabharat is the special effects, pace, little bit less preachy and jewelry,sets  ðŸ˜‰. The old one I felt was too slow. 

After I read some of you, watched YHM, just 2 epis...its a bit too loud, garish for my taste. Divyanka Tripathi is good, but the other actors & their slangs is not good. Probably watching movie 2 states is better than this - with same Punjabi-Tamil alliance.

A yak

A horse

Who am I?

Misti,  this is not working for me.  I got it that the animal is not yak or horse.  But now I am still at the same stage.  You are reminding me of my first Finance professor.  He was very intelligent but  nobody wanted to ask him a question because he could really make you feel dumb.      One time I bravely decided to go to his office to ask for an explanation.  Well, I ended up spending half an hour where he just grilled me with one question after another until my head started spinning.  Then he would not let me leave his office without making sure that I understood the concept though I was trying to pretend that I got my answer and wanted to escape.   But  as much as I hated him in the first year, I really ended up respecting him in the second year because I learnt the most from him than from any other teacher.  

So now you are doing the same to me.   Showing me pictures but I am now getting more confused than ever.  It is not a dog or a bear.  Is it a lamb?  Ok if i am wrong this time,  I give up.  

For a change it is not raining in UK...atleast  not in London. ðŸ˜ƒ

I thought that it always rained in London.  So you had no snow and now no rain.  The rest of the world is having so much extreme weather.  In DC, one day it is so cold and the next day it is like a hot June day.  We are also getting a lot of rain though May is not the month for rains.