Debate Mansion

let's discuss the biggest epic ever: MAHABHARAT - Page 2

QuietlyLoud thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 9 years ago
I'd like to know one thing
Is Mahabarata just a fictitious fable by Vyas's brilliant mind or did it really happen?
Is there any reliable proof that shows it's not a mere work of fiction?
I believe it is just a fascinating mythological work and nothing else..because some things doesn't make any sense at all
What do you think?
Edited by Nala - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

LeadNitrate thumbnail
Vinzy, palace  of illusions  is not mahabharat. Ita interpretation  of the author alone.
Except for wondering once suring vanparva, I regret refuting  him so harshly,  Drauapdi is not recorded  having any such  feeling for Karna.
I would  suggest  read mb by kmg(free online, victorian language) or Ramesh menon, rk narayam mb. 

Nala, as Genie said, some events happened. History became legend then became myth. It happened  1000s of yrs back.
Like whatever Jesus did or Mohammed  did became  embellished  later, similar is case od mb.
Some real events must have triggered  some poets imagination. 
But whatever  it is, the poet must have been a profound  wise man and philosopher  to write something so valid  even now.
Also if mahabharat  is a fancy story,  how can one explain bhagvat gita?
charminggenie thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
This content was originally posted by: Nala

I'd like to know one thing

Is Mahabarata just a fictitious fable by Vyas's brilliant mind or did it really happen?
Is there any reliable proof that shows it's not a mere work of fiction?
I believe it is just a fascinating mythological work and nothing else..because some things doesn't make any sense at all
What do you think?

@Nala , I think Archaeologists have excavated  some evidence of towns like Dawarka which points towards some truth in the crux of this myth. Perhaps over the years the story has undergone various modifications but the message and lesson it holds supersedes everything. I don't think there is any other complete literature which not only talks of realism/idealism on one hand, while also defining Karma . 

@Would be fun to know what doesn't make sense to you ? It would be great to explore those territories. 
charminggenie thumbnail
@Vinzy - Palace of illusion in other words is a fanfiction. Doubt we should take that into account. The book is a  "what if" take on MB. 
Personally I doubt Draupadi's desired husband could ever have been a singular individual . In one way these qualities match Arjuna too. I don't think a strong woman like her would have loved a man who was obsessed with a blinding loyalty towards a friend or the one who called her names during the harshest humiliation. 
_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: charminggenie

@Would be fun to know what doesn't make sense to you ? It would be great to explore those territories. 

For starters, the birth of Pandavas by a boon and Draupadi said to be born an adult from the yagya fire.
_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

@Vinzy - Palace of illusion in other words is a fanfiction. Doubt we should take that into account. The book is a  "what if" take on MB. 

Personally I doubt Draupadi's desired husband could ever have been a singular individual . In one way these qualities match Arjuna too. I don't think a strong woman like her would have loved a man who was obsessed with a blinding loyalty towards a friend or the one who called her names during the harshest humiliation. 

If we get into the "what if" mode there can be  no end to speculations. The events are very closely inter-related. Changing  any one of them could have led to a completely different ending. If draupadi had married Karna she would not have to be shared amongst the pandavas. The dyut krida wouldn't have taken place and so on...
charminggenie thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: _Angie_

For starters, the birth of Pandavas by a boon and Draupadi said to be born an adult from the yagya fire.

@On the birth  - Well I would try to answer this without using the Godly elements. 
See it is possible that Pandu  was biologically impotent , whose birth in itself was controversial (Ved Vyas progeny), considering the circumstances , Kunti and he counselled to use other means for furthering their progeny. Hence Kunti sought the aid of other men to help in the process. I think perhaps the magnitude of what he forced Kunti to do , broke Pandu and he died . 

@Druapadi  - I think as her father wanted a son to defeat Drona , he participated in various religious ceremonies . While performing one in the name of God of fire, it is possible his wife went into labour and gave birth to twins and the daughter was  Draupadi . Hence the association with yagna fire. 

Disclaimer!! 
Edited by charminggenie - 9 years ago
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
This content was originally posted by: LeadNitrate

Vinzy, palace  of illusions  is not mahabharat. Ita interpretation  of the author alone.

Except for wondering once suring vanparva, I regret refuting  him so harshly,  Drauapdi is not recorded  having any such  feeling for Karna. okie
I would  suggest  read mb by kmg(free online, victorian language) or Ramesh menon, rk narayam mb. 

Okie, But I feel,Veda Vyasa given lots of opportunities to the readers to interpret ,few acts and incidents their own way...😊

Nala, as Genie said, some events happened. History became legend then became myth. It happened  1000s of yrs back.
Like whatever Jesus did or Mohammed  did became  embellished  later, similar is case od mb.
Some real events must have triggered  some poets imagination. 
But whatever  it is, the poet must have been a profound  wise man and philosopher  to write something so valid  even now.
Also if mahabharat  is a fancy story,  how can one explain bhagvat gita?

I believe Mahabharatha and Ramayana are oldest history than Myth.

Hindu  teaching style I feel: -->First stage Small short Stories-->Upa Puarans-->Ramayana-->MB-->Gita-->Upanishads-->then... Rig Veda, Sama Veda, Yajur Veda, and Atharva Veda + others😊

charminggenie thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: _Angie_

If we get into the "what if" mode there can be  no end to speculations. The events are very closely inter-related. Changing  any one of them could have led to a completely different ending. If draupadi had married Karna she would not have to be shared amongst the pandavas. The dyut krida wouldn't have taken place and so on...

But where is the proof that Karna was all that she wanted. If we look at the husband bring moral and wise. There looms the shadow on the moral compass of Karna. Even if  consider that he was the one , she desired than doesn't the epic book teaches us that arrogance results in our downfall. Draupadi in this context favoured royalty/lineage , that took a precedent over her basic need of husband , hence the wheels of justice rather married her to 5 different men who possessed each of the listed qualities. 

Lesson on equality and arrogance , perhaps? 

Agree with you, the series of events are interdependent!

Edited by charminggenie - 9 years ago
-Aarya- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

I really like this question , I think I might refer whatever little I remember of Krishna on this matter , he said considering the basic motive used by Kurvas for this war was based on adharma , and was itself is - adharma , they would also have to resort to adharma -if need be , but their intentions are for establishing dharma/justice and for seeking greater good. I think more than warfare tactics , we look at the intent or purpose to define the right or wrong. 

War ceases to be about dharma , it is a Karma, hence only the intent or purpose would be judged. 

I question the war fought on ground of Dharma cause I question Kirshna's role in Mahabaharta!!!

I understand that Mahabharat is not for the faint hearted, nor for those who want ethics codified and then follow them unquestioningly. It has characters that are full of flaws (grey) and a God who walked amongst humans, behaved like humans and used seemingly devious means to bring victory to righteousness. How can you fight a war with such treacherous and call it on the side of Dharma?