Congratulations Nadal for another Grand Slam and creating History.! - Page 2

Posted: 9 years ago
On facing Nadal for the Roland Garros title: "Knowing that I was that close to win(ning) against him the past two years gives me that reason to believe that I can make it this time... It's easier said than done, of course, because we all know how good he is on this court. But he's not unbeatable. Winning against him last couple of matches in the finals, big events, definitely gives me confidence that I can do it again."
Six-time French Open champion Bjorn Borg gives his take on this year's final and the extraordinary level of tennis on display at the top of the men's game. The Swede gives Nadal a slight edge over Djokovic.

How do you feel coming back to Roland Garros, 40 years after your first title here?
It's one of my favourite tournaments. It's nice to be back. I played some of my best tennis here at Roland Garros. It's nice to come back and see all these great players play unbelievable tennis. For the first time, my wife and I are bringing (our son) Leo to the tournament. He plays a lot of tennis and wants to be the best tennis player in the world, that is his goal. For him, to see Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray live, and not on television, is a different experience, it's unbelievable.

How do you see the final playing out?
I think we all want to see a Djokovic - Nadal final and a best-of-five. It doesn't get any better than that. If you had one wish in life, if you could ask Santa Claus for one thing, it would be to be sitting here, watching this match. They are the cream of the crop. Some are saying that Novak Djokovic is the slight favourite.

What about you?
For me, Nadal is still Nadal. You have to beat him here on centre court at the French Open...Only one player did that and he was Swedish, Robin Sderling. So Rafa is still the favourite. To beat him in a best-of-five match on clay you have to be an unbelievable player.

What do you have to do to beat Rafa on clay in a best-of-five match?
Right now, Rafa is playing his best tennis, he is moving so well. In the earlier tournaments, he was struggling a bit, although we shouldn't get carried away, but he was struggling a bit with his movement during the run-up to the French Open. But just look at his last two sets against Ferrer. It was very impressive. I think he's playing the best he has all year. Starting about two years ago, Djokovic started beating Nadal because he found a successful game plan. He needs to stick closely to that game plan. But, when push comes to shove, I think Nadal is the favourite.

Who is your favourite player?
No, in all honesty, I just love watching the top players in the game today. I admire what they're doing. I'm thrilled about the Nadal-Djokovic final, even as an ex-player it is very satisfying, I'm just going to sit back with a smile on my face and enjoy it.

Is there a Swede on the verge of breaking through?
We have some promising 14 and 15-year-olds but we are struggling in Sweden. Our goal is to get one player qualified for the main draw in the next four or five years here in Paris. That would be a good start, but it doesn't look too good right now.
Rafael Nadal is poised to take home his ninth French Open title. And while the Spaniard continues to break records, his coach and uncle, Toni Nadal, is not convinced that Rafa is the favourite going into the final against Novak Djokovic.

Rafael Nadal is a man with doubts that never go away. For him, each match is a battle he could win - or lose. He likes to think like someone who has to prove himself in order to win. It matters not that he has bested his own record of straight wins during this year's French Open (34) and that he is one match and one win away from his ninth title here in Paris.

For both Nadal and his uncle, there is no doubt that the favourite this year is Novak Djokovic. "It's because he's very, very strong," says Toni Nadal. "We would have preferred to have someone else in the final. I can't even remember the last time Rafa beat him."

The last time was at the US Open in 2013. Since then, Rafa has lost four matches, three on hard courts and the Rome final on clay. In Toni's opinion, "Rafa will have to play at least as well as he did against Murray in the semi-final [to win]. He just about played a perfect match - it was one of his best at Roland Garros." Team Rafa and Toni are certainly not expecting a walkover.

Nadal has got stronger this season, which is always a good thing. "He's been training very, very well," says Toni. "His practices are excellent, he's hitting the ball well and I think he's been playing well since the start of the tournament. But a final is a final, and it will be that much more difficult against Novak Djokovic."

Rafa and Toni say that they are not concerned with titles, records and history right now. However, Djokovic is still looking to take home a French Open title, the only Grand Slam missing from his trophy cabinet. "That's why Novak will definitely be turning up the heat," Toni concludes. "Because in the end, he's the one who has more to lose."
No, come on. Get real. You don't want Rafael Nadal to lift the trophy on Sunday "for the good of the game", "for the love of tennis", "in the interests of suspense" and well, "just because"? "Not again". "Not nine times in a row". "Do we really need another clay masterclass?"

Rafa, "our Rafa", is obviously going to win - again - this year. Not to take anything away from Novak Djokovic of course, but this isn't even about him. Well, OK, maybe it is about him a little... Because the better the opponent on the other side of the net, the more larger-than-life he is, the more impressive his records - and clearly this all applies to the Serb - then the sweeter the victory will be. If and when he loses to someone of Djokovic's ilk, we will be in a better position to measure the 28-year-old Majorcan's extraordinary (in the truest sense of the word) talent and get a greater handle on the historical significance of what he has accomplished.

What could be more amazing than to see a legend emerge before your very eyes? Well arguably, watching a legend become more legendary year after year, as Nadal has done here at Roland Garros. He already holds a record eight titles, and he just may get to add a ninth to his collection on Sunday. No one else has ever achieved more at a single Grand Slam.

How can you not gaze in wonder at Rafa's lasso of a forehand? It is truly unique in the way it lands so deep, spits up so high, curves so far. How can you not gasp in disbelief as he dissects Philippe Chatrier Court? How can you not be blown away by his movement, so light on his feet, as he gets into position for one of his killer forehands of which only he knows the secret? Or his ability to win, no matter who the man on the other side of the court is or what kind of game he plays? Or his ability to adapt to any player and any circumstance?

Plenty of people were delighted to have repeat Wimbledon champions - what is so different about another player doing it at a different event? Should he win on Sunday, would Nadal's achievement of mythical proportions - winning Grand Slam 14 titles - be less significant than quite simply having someone - anyone - else winning here?

This is all subjective. The greatness of an extraordinary player takes nothing away from his opponents, be they past, present or future. So yes, Rafa, we would very much love to see you bite into the Coupe des Mousquetaires like a hungry schoolboy once again. Because we love you Rafa. It's as simple as that.
Richard Pagliaro, Senior Editor
Two weeks ago, I favored Djokovic, who looked driven to complete the career Grand Slam. Watching Rafa rampage into his ninth French Open final was a reality check. If Djokovic serves boldly and hits his backhand down the line accurately"as he did beating the top seed in the Rome final"he can make history and regain the world No. 1 ranking. But Nadal is serving with more sting, hitting his forehand with bigger bite, playing with plenty of positive energy, and has a lot more room to run on Court Chatrier"a stage he owns"than he did in Rome.

The Pick: Nadal
Ed McGrogan, Online Editor
It feels like it did when Nadal, after two failed attempts to dethrone Roger Federer at Wimbledon, finally did so in 2008. Djokovic has beaten Nadal at every clay-court tournament of consequence except the French Open, and he nearly did so last year. Nadal has Djokovic seemingly lodged in his head, like he was in 2011, having lost their last four encounters, all finals. There are many reasons, ranging from the statistical to the physical to the emotional to the spiritual, that point to Djokovic finally beating the king of clay on his court.

But there's one that says he won't: It's Rafa at Roland Garros. The eight-time champion will find a way, even if it takes five long sets, to win Paris for the ninth time.

Peter Bodo, Senior Writer
Up until the semifinals, the stars seemed to be aligning irreversibly for Djokovic. He was ripping through the draw while Nadal was still ironing out kinks in his game. All that turned around on Friday. Djokovic alluded to feeling out of sorts after he beat Ernests Gulbis in four sets. Meanwhile, Nadal crushed Andy Murray, his forehand once again working like the hammer of Thor. Djokovic knew what he was up against from the get-go, but now that he's seeing it at close range, I don't believe he'll have the game and gumption to beat Nadal"not on this court.

Steve Tignor, Senior Writer
It's something-has-to-give time again: Nadal is 5-0 against Djokovic at Roland Garros; Djokovic has won their last four matches. Over these two weeks, Nadal has made his odds of winning better: He came out of his quarterfinal with David Ferrer with new confidence, and played his best match of the spring against Murray. On the other side, Djokovic said he was tired in his semifinal, which isn't going to work too well against Rafa on clay over five sets. But Djokovic has a way of putting questions of form and fitness behind him when he plays Nadal, and bringing his best.

The Pick: Djokovic
Can't Mods make this thread as Global thread ?
Originally posted by awesomegurti

Can't Mods make this thread as Global thread ?
oh! the popularity dear i guess is to blame.
hey great analysis of the matches Sahi... will get back to my pov after reading them in a while😊
Originally posted by piggie

oh! the popularity dear i guess is to blame.

Ask any mod na if they make this global thread evey one cms to knw abt this thread more ppl il come out n chat here

In bolly forum so many ppl r tennis fans there
Rooting for Rafael Nadal. Hope he wins! :)