Improper upbringing responsible for the development of a Rapist-mind? - Page 5

Posted: 9 years ago
Nitrate,

The data is generated from a super-computer known as KA. Those are my views of what role those factor play in development of a rapist/rapist mindset. Those are not precentages of rape associated with each factor.

------------------------

I was browsing and I noticed these factors being mentioned on a credible website i.e. CDC. This can give us a good idea.

Risk Factors for Perpetration

Individual Risk Factors

• Alcohol and drug use
  • Coercive sexual fantasies
  • Impulsive and antisocial tendencies
  • Preference for impersonal sex
  • Hostility towards women
  • Hypermasculinity
  • Childhood history of sexual and physical abuse
  • Witnessed family violence as a child

Relationship Factors

• Association with sexually aggressive and delinquent peers
  • Family environment characterized by physical violence and few resources
  • Strong patriarchal relationship or familial environment
  • Emotionally unsupportive familial environment

Community Factors

• Lack of employment opportunities
  • Lack of institutional support from police and judicial system
  • General tolerance of sexual violence within the community
  • Weak community sanctions against sexual violence perpetrators

Societal Factors

• Poverty
  • Societal norms that support sexual violence
  • Societal norms that support male superiority and sexual entitlement
  • Societal norms that maintain women's inferiority and sexual submissiveness
  • Weak laws and policies related to gender equity
  • High tolerance levels of crime and other forms of violence

India-Forum Factors

• Your mamma thinks that it is not appropriate for girls to wear short skirts.

Originally posted by Forever-KA

Nitrate,

The data is generated from a super-computer known as KA. Those are my views of what role those factor play in development of a rapist/rapist mindset. Those are not precentages of rape associated with each factor.

------------------------

I was browsing and I noticed these factors being mentioned on a credible website i.e. CDC. This can give us a good idea.

Let me show you how even this data relates to the upbringing being a factor, will use your data , KA - hope you approve. 

Individual Risk Factors

• Alcohol and drug use
  • Coercive sexual fantasies
  • Impulsive and antisocial tendencies
  • Preference for impersonal sex
  • Hostility towards women
  • Hypermasculinity
  • Childhood history of sexual and physical abuse
  • Witnessed family violence as a child

Relationship Factors

• Association with sexually aggressive and delinquent peers
  • Family environment characterized by physical violence and few resources
  • Strong patriarchal relationship or familial environment - "I hope you do understand how a girls dressing sense, her lifestyle and her gender is treated by this clause"
  • Emotionally unsupportive familial environment. ( where family choices are enforced on the young minds without proper argument)

Community Factors

• Lack of employment opportunities
  • Lack of institutional support from police and judicial system
  • General tolerance of sexual violence within the community
  • Weak community sanctions against sexual violence perpetrators

Societal Factors

• Poverty
  • Societal norms that support sexual violence
  • Societal norms that support male superiority and sexual entitlement( A family's upbringing giving preference to the male child)
  • Societal norms that maintain women's inferiority and sexual submissiveness ( good girl- bad girl concept)
  • Weak laws and policies related to gender equity
  • High tolerance levels of crime and other forms of violence

India-Forum Factors

• Your mamma thinks that it is not appropriate for girls to wear short skirts.( Nice way of side-stepping every other point).

Now , KA 

You and many are lucky to have enough brains to not judge the other human based on their sense of dressing. But we live in a world where religious and clan heads order gang-rapes , if the girl is not found to wear appropriate clothes. When such incidents happen, the young teens and uneducated , unaware men have a high chance of developing a mentality where they use thinks like clothes, lifestyle to justify this heinous crimes.

Again, thank you for finding this data to support out argument. 
The super computer is ecountering following error

warning: an error has occurred during report processing

Lets try again

Individual Risk Factors

• Alcohol and drug use Not related to upbrining
  • Coercive sexual fantasies Not related to upbrining
  • Impulsive and antisocial tendencies Not related to upbrining
  • Preference for impersonal sex Not related to upbrining
  • Hostility towards women Not related to upbrining
  • Hypermasculinity Not related to upbrining
  • Childhood history of sexual and physical abuse Not related to upbrining
  • Witnessed family violence as a child Yes

Relationship Factors

• Association with sexually aggressive and delinquent peers Not related to upbrining
  • Family environment characterized by physical violence and few resources same as above
  • Strong patriarchal relationship or familial environment Yes
  • Emotionally unsupportive familial environment Yes

Community Factors

• Lack of employment opportunities Not related to upbrining
  • Lack of institutional support from police and judicial system Not related to upbrining
  • General tolerance of sexual violence within the community Not related to upbrining
  • Weak community sanctions against sexual violence perpetrators Not related to upbrining

Societal Factors

• Poverty Not related to upbrining
  • Societal norms that support sexual violence Not related to upbrining
  • Societal norms that support male superiority and sexual entitlement Not related to upbrining
  • Societal norms that maintain women's inferiority and sexual submissiveness Not related to upbrining
  • Weak laws and policies related to gender equity Not related to upbrining
  • High tolerance levels of crime and other forms of violence Not related to upbrining

India-Forum Factors

• Your mamma thinks that it is not appropriate for girls to wear short skirts. Super computer has rejected it as unsubstantiated data.

Total factors = 21

Factors related to upbringing = 3

Factors related to mamma = 0

% of factors responsible for development of rapist

- upbrining = 3/21 = 14,3%
- mamma = 0/21 = 0%

Earlier data suggested by supercomputer KA

5% upbringing

5%  vs. 14.3%  

The supercomputer herebey concludes that there is no statistically significant difference in % of rapists mindset attributed to upbringing presented by supercomputer KA and number generated by CDC data. The 8 to 9 percent difference can be attributed to difference in culture, geography, ethnicity, religion etc. The supercomputer assessment was based on desi population while CDC is an organization representing population of the United States of America 

Originally posted by Forever-KA

Individual Risk Factors

• Alcohol and drug use Not related to upbrining. Related to upbringing. Parents to talk to their kids about drug and alcohol use.
  • Coercive sexual fantasies Not related to upbrining. Related to upbringing. Parents can talk to children about sex and fantasies. If detected early they can get professional help.
  • Impulsive and antisocial tendencies Not related to upbrining Related to upbringing. Parents do influence how children socialize.
  • Preference for impersonal sex Not related to upbrining
  • Hostility towards women Not related to upbrining. Related to upbringing. A child could see people in his family be chauvinistic/misogynist and form perceptions.
  • Hypermasculinity Not related to upbrining
  • Childhood history of sexual and physical abuse Not related to upbrining. Related to upbringing if perpetrators are parents, relatives or family friends.
  • Witnessed family violence as a child Yes

Relationship Factors

• Association with sexually aggressive and delinquent peers Not related to upbrining
  • Family environment characterized by physical violence and few resources same as above
  • Strong patriarchal relationship or familial environment Yes
  • Emotionally unsupportive familial environment Yes

Community Factors

• Lack of employment opportunities Not related to upbrining
  • Lack of institutional support from police and judicial system Not related to upbrining
  • General tolerance of sexual violence within the community Not related to upbrining
  • Weak community sanctions against sexual violence perpetrators Not related to upbrining

Societal Factors

• Poverty Not related to upbrining
  • Societal norms that support sexual violence Not related to upbrining. A family member engaging in s**t shaming or demeaning women who dress/act a certain way can contribute to this.
  • Societal norms that support male superiority and sexual entitlement Not related to upbrining A family member engaging in s**t shaming or demeaning women who dress/act a certain way can contribute to this.
  • Societal norms that maintain women's inferiority and sexual submissiveness Not related to upbrining A family member who states women should be homemakers, rejects female sexuality or openness can contribute to this.
  • Weak laws and policies related to gender equity Not related to upbrining
  • High tolerance levels of crime and other forms of violence Not related to upbrining Family members who dismiss rape or s**t shame are instilling tolerance to violence against women.

India-Forum Factors

• Your mamma thinks that it is not appropriate for girls to wear short skirts. Super computer has rejected it as unsubstantiated data. I am not sure if you are being intentionally thick and belligerent or you are actually not comprehending anything that is being said here. What we are saying is that what a family member thinks about short skirts may or may not contribute to rape depending on how it is presented and what other factors are present. How can anyone be so thick as to not comprehend that family and upbringing is not isolated but very much a part of societal influences? I'll never get your obsession of misinterpretation and fixating on illustrative facts while completely ignoring the big picture.

@KA: How can you say that societal norms are not related  to upbringing? Society is made up of families, and families are made up of parents and children. Every child is growing up in a family which is part of a society. The society's norms will directly impact what values its members are learning.
No one is saying that one remark by one's mother about short skirt and the son will go out and start raping. It was just an example of factors that build up a mindset towards certain 'types' of women or girls. It by no means claimed to be the only factor, neither did it claim that only short skirt wearing girls get raped.

i think societal factors at best influence average population development. Upbringing provides specific influences... That said, the human mind is so complex that these factors are totally outweighed by random factors below... 

at the core, i believe things like temptation/ greed/ lust/ someone's risk-reward tradeoffs explain far more than any influence we can point to. What else can explain a celeb with loads of money shoplifting? Or Mahatma gandhi's son going astray? Or a married Billy doing a Monica? Or prep school boys from high society engaged in date rape?

circumstances provide the other backdrop. Reminds me of a movie called Trading Places... Ivy Leaguers going bad, a street bum becoming sharp and classy.  Think also of a man and female marooned on an island. The female is beautiful, the guy is horny. She resists. The guy turns away, but for how long? He has certain animal instincts that need to be restrained/ caged... More likely than not, he will make a move on her at some point... I know that sounds horrible, but isn't that a realistic outcome based on circumstances?

another example as illustration would be the Australian cricket team in the 2000s. They were so good that even in a game that involves so much luck on any day, they won consistently against all kinds of opposition at home and away... In a way, upbringing/ societal influences have to be similarly strong as to overcome what are very base instincts... base, but all too pervasive.

Edited by BirdieNumNum - 9 years ago
Trading places is a wonderful movie and a must watch. Also coming to america is another comedy movie that I like.
Originally posted by souro

Care to explain a bit more? I am not sure I understood what you were trying to say. Cos as far as I know, nowhere is alcoholism considered as a good culture.

Drinking sometimes is fine, as long as one remains within his/her tolerance limit. But I don't think anyone appreciates excessive drinking and becoming an alcoholic. So obviously, good parenting will include discouraging children from underage alcohol consumption and to make them aware of the negatives of drinking alocohol. Hardly any parent will want their kid to become a drunkard slob, dying of cirrhosis at an young age.

And this is true for anything that can have a negative effect, not just alcohol and not just when it is related to rape. Parents warn their kids about smoking, drugs, rash driving and so many things.
I was drawing parallels between parents dislike for short skirts as cause for rape and alcohol consumption as a cause for rape. We had comments suggesting that a mother's disapproval for short skirts led her son to consider short skirts as immoral that led to crime against women who wore short skirts,. Yet none of the feminists said a word against social drinking. It can lead to a person thinking it to be a normal practice and under its influence lose the capacity to think clear and engage in antisocial activities like rape. If a mother's disapproval for short skirts can be a influence for rape then encouragement of alcohol consumption can definitely be considered a far greater influence towards committing crime and violence. What starts off as  social drinking can very soon turn to binge drinking and more. What I fail to understand is why do the feminists not protest against this rather than insisting on their right to wear short skirts. A person in his senses is least likely to engage in violence no matter how scantily the girl prefers to dress. But a person under the influence of alcohol can lose his sense of right and wrong and target any person available no matter how fully she may be  dressed. Could It be possible that girls themselves engage in drinking and therefore do not find anything wrong in it ? Freedom to wear what they like, freedom to drink what they like but obviously men should not have the freedom to ogle and much less to touch anyone against their wish. What we are missing I think is that once people get in the habit of unrestricted freedom of indulging themselves it gets very difficult to draw a line between acts that harm and those that do not.  Just my opinion- huh

There is absolutely nothing wrong in the consumption of alcohol by itself. The only problem is excessive or binge drinking. It is a slippery slope argument to state that social drinking will lead to excessive or binge drinking. It doesn't follow.

No one has encouraged drinking. Just because someone doesn't condemn drinking doesn't mean one encourages drinking. It is neutral at best. An activity that is neither, encouraged or discouraged but left to an individual's personal discretion. There is also no sane person who actually would condone excessive or binge drinking. Everyone should know their tolerance level and risks of drinking. People should always avoid drinking till it impairs judgment. There should also be one or two designated drivers who also serve as chaperones and prevent escalated problems.

I think the parallels you draw with short skirts and drinking are wrong. However, there still is a different parallel that works. Parents are responsible to talk to their kids about alcohol and how they talk about it makes a difference. Excessive drinking, binge drinking, alcohol related crimes and problems usually arise when people are not educated well enough about responsible alcohol consumption. There are other social and psychological problems like depression that contribute to alcoholism and improper education about alcohol prevents these issues from handled correctly.

Finally even though alcohol is a factor in many crimes there is not a causal relationship. If alcohol was a cause for crime, everyone who got drunk would have propensity to crime. Say a man is taught short skirts are bad. When sober he may just mentally think  a girl is loose or titillating him. But when drunk he is more likely to act on the negative thoughts. If a man is taught to respect women. Drinking may make him flirtatious and come on too strong, but he would still be subconsciously aware of boundaries.

[QUOTE=return_to_hades]

There is absolutely nothing wrong in the consumption of alcohol by itself. The only problem is excessive or binge drinking. It is a slippery slope argument to state that social drinking will lead to excessive or binge drinking. It doesn't follow.

No one has encouraged drinking. Just because someone doesn't condemn drinking doesn't mean one encourages drinking. It is neutral at best. An activity that is neither, encouraged or discouraged but left to an individual's personal discretion. There is also no sane person who actually would condone excessive or binge drinking. Everyone should know their tolerance level and risks of drinking. People should always avoid drinking till it impairs judgment. There should also be one or two designated drivers who also serve as chaperones and prevent escalated problems.

@ bold 1- By the same argument  a mother s objection to a short skirt by itself cannot be called wrong   It is the possible consequences of that action that may or may not lead to other actions that may lead to harm.

@ bold 2-  If that is  so then it holds true that no one encourages their son to rape someone irrespective of their like or dislike for a short skirt.

@ bold 3- If everyone had the ideal level of awareness  of their limits and could stop before they crossed  it there would be no violence in the world at all as each would stop before his anger reached boiling point 

I think the parallels you draw with short skirts and drinking are wrong. However, there still is a different parallel that works. Parents are responsible to talk to their kids about alcohol and how they talk about it makes a difference. Excessive drinking, binge drinking, alcohol related crimes and problems usually arise when people are not educated well enough about responsible alcohol consumption. There are other social and psychological problems like depression that contribute to alcoholism and improper education about alcohol prevents these issues from handled correctly.

@ bold- That  should also hold  true for  sons whose  mothers  may dislike short skirts.🤓

Finally even though alcohol is a factor in many crimes there is not a causal relationship. If alcohol was a cause for crime, everyone who got drunk would have propensity to crime. Say a man is taught short skirts are bad. When sober he may just mentally think  a girl is loose or titillating him. But when drunk he is more likely to act on the negative thoughts. If a man is taught to respect women. Drinking may make him flirtatious and come on too strong, but he would still be subconsciously aware of boundaries.

By the same argument if a mother's dislike for short skirts was a cause for son turning  into a rapist then every boy whose mother disliked short skirts would have turned into a rapist which  evidently does not happen.

Teaching men to respect women sounds fine.  It would be finer if every person man or woman learns to respect each other.  I guess, we could now  debate on whether respect needs to  be taught or earned --- 🤔

[/QUOTE]