Debate Mansion

Spirituality

insouciance thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

How materialistic are you...and how spiritual are you......

Does being spiritual only mean bowing to the gods ..is devotion synonymous to spirituality😕...So,does it mean a person becomes spiritual only because he/she regularly makes it a point to visit the temple/mosque/church/syngogue etc

In your opinion,what should our final destination of the soul be

DO you believe that God is omnipresent,or is he only at the shrines....IS God inside us too....🤔

How important is it to follow customs...Does a person become any less good/devotional/spiritual is he/she doesnt celebrate the functions and act according to the customs😕

WHat role do the priests/preachers/gurujis/swamijis play ..Are they pivotal in connecting all of us to God😕,or are they just not needed at all..

Who here believes in astrology😛???...Do the planets really play a role in shaping our lives...😕🤔

and finally,what are your thoughts about the so widely spoken about Nirvana....What do you think it is,and how do you think it can be attained😛

and I'd be glad even if this post garbers a single response😛

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MNMS thumbnail
i'll definately answer ur questions buffie.. but for the time being im not able to sit on my chair- im feeling so sleepy 😳 ...so.. will answer later 😊
lighthouse thumbnail
Phew... Buffie great topic... 👏 will probably need rest of my life to answer.

Will let you know when I get there.

Today I have to go the mall, 2morrow to the temple but my goal is to eventualy spend my retirement voluntarying in India. 😕
-Masakali- thumbnail

really materialistic...😆 bad i know, hmm spiritual...well religiously...like none

i think its done when we die

DO you believe that God is omnipresent,or is he only at the shrines....IS God inside us too....

not sure in god

How important is it to follow customs...Does a person become any less good/devotional/spiritual is he/she doesnt celebrate the functions and act according to the customs

i dont get this question

WHat role do the priests/preachers/gurujis/swamijis play ..Are they pivotal in connecting all of us to God😕,or are they just not needed at all..

i think the relation between god and follower is person...no middle man needed

Who here believes in astrology😛???...Do the planets really play a role in shaping our lives...😕🤔

don't believe in god, but in astrology...kinda😆 pretty strange i know

and finally,what are your thoughts about the so widely spoken about Nirvana....What do you think it is,and how do you think it can be attained😛

hmm...when u help other people

cheeky_angel thumbnail

hmmm nice topic

Edited by cheeky_angel - 17 years ago
cheeky_angel thumbnail
it's not easy to answer and it would take alooooot of time and there might not be one answer to it...
cheeky_angel thumbnail
i'd like to comeback to it later on
usachick821 thumbnail
Originally posted by: Buffie

i am a very materialistic person, more than i like to admit actually. And yes i am very spiritual.

Does being spiritual only mean bowing to the gods ..is devotion synonymous to spirituality😕...So,does it mean a person becomes spiritual only because he/she regularly makes it a point to visit the temple/mosque/church/syngogue etc

Spirituality in my opinion differs from religion. You can be religious but not be spiritual at all. Spirituality is a state of mind that is hard to accept without thinking your religious. Buddism is a great example of spirituality without religion, but people tend to catagorize it as religion because so many people follow it.

If there is another realm in which our soul's destiny is determined then The final destination should definetely be based upon deeds in our human life, i am a strict believer in karma, so i definetely think that punishment for selfish our henious crimes should be punished in the spiritual world.

DO you believe that God is omnipresent,or is he only at the shrines....IS God inside us too....🤔

I was raised to form my own opinion, so i would have a different opinion than someone who was brought up thinking only one idea is right. But my opinion is that god is omnipresent, he is in everything, in our deeds, our material objects, and also us. Without us, i believe there would be no god. (now that's the atheist statement of the day).

How important is it to follow customs...Does a person become any less good/devotional/spiritual is he/she doesnt celebrate the functions and act according to the customs😕

This i think relates strongly with the indian need to be "god fearing", if you dont follow customs then you are somehow commiting an omen. But as i said above god is inside all of us and we can please him/her to the extent that we are satisfied. Such as lighting a diya and praying is enough custom for me, and i feel that i have fullfilled my duty, however other's may not.

if its your thing then do it, there is nothing wrong with being taught about god as long as it isnt impossed.

No, i dont believe in astrology, because its like watching the weather channel to know about the weather. You have a fifty fifty chance.

I dont think anyone can attain nirvana fully, again it is how satisfied we feel when we achieve something, i may achieve a just a medium amount of nirvana and feel that it is permenant bliss, but this may not be the case for others. It is in our blood to be materialistic, and only 2-3 people in the entire span of civilization have achieved it (which has been documented), so no i dont aspire to achieve it.

Nirvana is getting less materialistic than you are (whatever that aim may be), and focusing around yourself and the things that make you truly happy.

aww buffy i am always glad to respond to your posts!!!! 😛😃

Edited by usachick821 - 17 years ago
insouciance thumbnail
wowwwwwwwwww 😃 ......11 replies...not too bad...thank you abhi ji 😃 ...aap ki badolat first 3 replies tho mile...AFter that I guess its a tad easier 😃.....Me too has alot to say on this,so much that I know,and so much that I dont know and am searching answers for..will be back soon 😊
insouciance thumbnail

Originally posted by: Buffie

So how materialistic I am🤔….Well to say,not very!..I consider myself to be a split personality😕😆..There is one person inside me,who's extremely spiritual..and the other me is 40% materialistic and 60% spiritual….At the risk of not sounding like a braggard😳,I can take people by surprise at times(only at times) with my spiritual knowledge,but sometimes,the doggone materialistic me resurfaces🤢,and I act in the most ignominious and contemptible manner🤢🤢....I am sometimes a bit materialistic,but those are about things money cant get me😛...I believe I'll grow up as I age…😛

Does being spiritual only mean bowing to the gods

NOT really.....Bowing to the Gods alone does not make a person spiritual...a religious zealot or a fanatic who proclaims in the supremacy of his/her religion  is a far cry from being spiritual...I know innumerous people,who are unbelievably pietistic and ostentatiously doctrinal,but are the biggest hypocrites one can lay one's eyes on😡...and on the other hand,we have several irrelegious people,who are very very spiritual......Honestly is important in everything...if one id devotional,there must be honesty in one's "bhakthi"....

Is devotion synonymous to spirituality😕

I dont believe so...Spirituality is a state of the mind..Its not  all about  religiosity, asceticism or devoutness..Its not about being monastic or abstemious....Its about realizing the final goal,its about introspection,about understanding that life is just a game,there is nothing called as "ME",because all of us are just a part of the superpower whom we choose to call "GOD"(my personal opinion)..and  we need to realize this fact,by personal experience and NOT by plain reading or by the word of mouth...When we realize that there's nothing called as "I",all the self admiration ,egotism , priggishness,hauteur,querulousness,exasperation etc  would vanish in a whisker...Its all easy to say,but difficult to practice..Accepting that there's nothing called as "I",is arguably the most difficult realization

I truly believe that "self realization" should be our final goal...Its really hard,and just knowing about it doesnt help us a wee bit...Another thing is that our soul actually leads us..I once asked,a really venerated and spiritual person"When would I become like you"....and his reply was"You'd when your time comes"(and I sounded like the fellow in the Pepsi ad who rants"mera number kab aayega😆😆")...He continued"Its not an overnight process....Realizing that there's nothing as "I" and "ME" is pivotal...and its for that realization that the soul needs so many voyages,..the voyage of life😛

I believe GOD is incorporeal and omnipresent....Infact I believe GOD is a force,an ever pervading force,the manifestation of the force can be seen in the world in the form of living creatures,etc..I even believe there's a GOD inside Osama,but he's blinded by his hatred and his fanaticism,that he cant see anything else😊

Customs are man made,and they need to be followed only if possible…If its not possible to follow each and every custom,its nothing amoral or sinful……and a person becomes no less spiritual or no less good or no less religious only because certain reethi riwaj isnt follwoed

I believe the "TRUE" gurus help us in our spiritual journey..They guide us,and teach us…Some believe we need a teacher in every field….Some people learn on their own,without the teacher,and some need a teacher..The Gurus help the people who need a teacher….The TRUE gurus(like Swami vivekananda,swami raman maharishi,ramkrishna paramahansa ,shirdi baba etc) etc did make an impact in people's lives….Their contribution can not be belittled!😊👏...I dont mind any guru,as long as he/she ingrains good values in people,and as long as he/she doesnt exploit people

Astrology is a science, and like any other science,Provided its practiced by a well read and a knowledgable person,itdoes come true….But certain people are exploiting the masses in the name of jyotishy….People who believe need to be careful and need to go to a knowledgeable astrologer

Nirvana is self realization….and when hamara number comes,we'd know how it is attained😆….because Its hard to say,as its not all about self-mortification or abstinence….But one thing is sure,its very very very very difficult to attain…...and nothing is achieved by speaking about it😕

These were just my personal beliefs...No offence to anyone who doesnt subscribe to these😊