Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Suvika. thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 11 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 9 years ago

Chapter Eight

Stupid senseless idiot! Incorrigibly besotted fool! Nidhi continued to curse herself as she stabbed the key viciously through the keyhole and thrust the main door of her apartment open. She banged it shut behind her and swiped an angry hand over her flowing eyes. What was the point in crying? She was the dumber who despite knowing better had succumbed to temptation. When she had heard that Raja titli story from him, something in her broke and against all her best lectures to herself, hope had risen in her. Despite the loud warnings her mind had been screaming at her, she hadn't listened. Maybe this time it would be different. He did regret his decision, didn't he? He did want her back, didn't he? He still loved her, didn't he? Nidhi threw her handbag viciously across the room. Love was just not enough. She had known that. Yet, what did she do? Did she stand on her word to keep things on a professional level? No. One smile from him, one please out of his mouth, she had been falling all over herself. She shouldn't have accepted the ride. She shouldn't have gone with him to the orphanage. She shouldn't have talked in the car. She shouldn't have laughed. And to top it all off, she had to go and dance around him like..like some..insane fanatic.  

The lyrics of some long forgotten song suddenly popped up in her mind.Ranjha Ranjha karte karte..Heer deewani hogayi.. Lyricists probably wrote such songs after seeing people like her, she thought. And as if that was not enough, she had taken one look at Dr Mallika and fled the scene like some criminal. Why? Why did she do that? Why couldn't she have stayed and acted indifferent? Smile a hello and walk off with her back straight? What had got into her that she had run all the way from that orphanage like a raving lunatic?

Nidhi ignored the ringing of her cell phone. It stopped only to start again almost immediately. With another muttered curse, she pulled it out of the handbag and sighed. Anji.

"Hello?"

"Hey Nidhi. Function hogaya? Are you back home? How was it? Sorry yaar I couldn't come. Did you take snaps of all the kids in their cost.." Anji's question trailed away as a soft hiccupping breath reached her ears. "Nidhi? Hey, Nidhi..what happened? Nidhi? Kuch toh bol. Nidhi? Where are you? Answer me damn it!" By then Ranganath also came and stood beside Anji with a worried frown on his face. Anji turned her face away from him. She had listened to him and let her friend down. She should've been with Nidhi. Something went badly wrong. All because of her. And her interfering husband.

"G-ghar m-mein."

Anji sighed in relief. "OK. You stay there, I'm coming."

"N-no. I-I'm f-fine."

"Nidhi.."

Nidhi hastily wiped her eyes and breathed deeply to steady her voice. "No. Really. I'm fine. I was just..tired and.."

"Nidhi, out with it. What happened? Tujhe meri kasam."

"Dr Mallika is back."

"WHAT?"

Nidhi nodded. "I saw her..at the function."

"Did she see you?" Ranganath came to stand in front of Anji and frowned in serious concern. Anji mouthed Mallika. He looked dumbstruck for a moment before shaking his head and walking away.

"Your friend is a damn coward Anji. I saw her and ran away before she could see me. How stupid of me na?"

"You're the bravest person I know Nidhi."

Nidhi shook her head. "No. Not brave at all. What I'm is silly and stupid. I knew joining in KGH was a mistake. But I did it. I knew working along with him was a mistake. I did it.  I knew I shouldn't have listened to my silly heart and agreed to go with him. I did that too." Now that she started talking, Nidhi realized that she couldn't stop. "But I love him so much Anji. So much. I thought I'll shore up some more memories..you know. I couldn't let the chance go."

Anji tried to reason. "Nidhi, he loves you too. Mallikaji can't change that no matter how much she tries. She might have feelings for him but she doesn't have his love."

"But she has his trust Anji. Something that our relationship lacked from the beginning and theirs hadn't. Trust. And now she is back." She sighed. She felt tired. So so tired. And weary to the bone. "I never stood a chance Anji.."

"Nidhi.." Anji had never felt so helpless.

"I'll talk to Ranganath tomorrow and see if KGH can let me go despite the contract. I'm no martyr."

"Just hang on a sec."

Armaan left his food midway through and walked into his study and banged the door shut. He made it a point to control his language in front of his kids and the current situation definitely called for some colourful words.

"What the f**k are you talking about? Where the hell did Mallika come from?"

Ranganath winced and rubbed his ear. "I don't know the details sir. All I could get was that Dr Mallika had been there in that function and Nidhi left midway through. She is..upset Dr Armaan."

"Please don't tell me this guy put his foot in his mouth the moment he saw his buddy. And why the hell did she have to come now? Couldn't she wait for five bloody weeks? These two would've gotten married by then and left for their honeymoon too."

"With all due respect sir, I don't think marriage would change anything or take away their issues with regard to Dr Mallika."

Armaan shrugged and looked thoughtful. "You're right. But don't underestimate the power of physical intimacy either Ranganath. Combine that with the kind of love that these two share.."

Ranganath agreed silently but said, "So, what do we do now?"

Armaan smirked. "Nothing. Our plan is already in motion. Bhargav left for his vacation as of tonight. Nidhi will take up the slack from tomorrow morning. Dr Mallika, for all her friendship, is a gynac. And our Nidhi here is.."

Ranganath nodded sagely. "I get it sir. I'll make sure Nidhi gets the duty chart first thing tomorrow morning along with the news that she is the new assistant for Dr Ashutosh Mathur for the next two weeks. At least."

Armaan chuckled. "Fantastic. Oh, wanted to ask you about something else too. What is the KGH grapevine saying?"

Ranganath cleared his throat. "Uh..the interns are talking sir. And most of the seniors already know from the previous time.." and left the sentence hanging.

"Hmmm..have anyone said anything to her directly? I know no one would dare to breathe in front of Dr Heartstone but.."

"I don't think so sir. She doesn't exactly invite a friendly chitchat these days."

"Hmmm. OK, chal, see you then. Goodnight." He mentally hummed a few bars of do dil milrahe hain..magar chupke chupke.

"Kaka, kaka, breakfast milega?"

"Aaya aaya. Baito Ashu beta. Abhi laata hoon. Saath mein ek aur cup chai peeyoge?"

"Ji." Ashutosh sat at the dining table and fiddled with the knife and fork.

The question was not leaving him. Why did Nidhi leave so suddenly the previous night? Did something happen? Or..did she see Mallika and didn't want to face her? Were her issues with Mallika that deep? Or was it his friendship with Mallika that had that effect on her? Why hadn't he seen this insecure side of hers before? She knew he had no feelings for his friend. So why did it still impact her to the extent that she would run away from the function rather than face Mallika once again? An unbidden memory came into his mind.

"I ignored the taunts of Dr Mallika. I never told you about them as I know how this would hurt you. And whenever you sided and agreed with her without even hearing my side of things..do you know how much that hurt? How much you hurt me?"

"Beta, kya sochraha hain?" Hirman kaka placed the plate with two paratas and achaar in front of Ashutosh.

"Kuch nahi kaka." As HK turned to go, Ashutosh asked, "Kaka aapko Nidhi yaad hain?"

Kaka smiled. "Arre usse mein kaise bhool sakta hoon. Kyu beta? Aaj achanak.."

Ashutosh shook his head and started to eat. "Kuch nahi. Buss aise hi. Woh ab phirse KGH mein kaam kar rahi hain."

"Arre waah, yeh toh bahut khushi ki baat hain."

"Neurologist. She is a neurologist kaka. Usne apna PG karliya hain..Neurology mein."

Kaka smiled, pleased. The pride in Ashutosh's voice was so obvious that HK's smile turned into a grin. He had known all those years ago that they had feelings for each other. Felt very strongly for each other. He had hoped for so much but.. Maybe there was still a chance.

"Yeh toh double khushi hogaya. Kabhi bulao na apne ghar. Chai pe ya khaane pe?"

Nidhi at his home again? Would she ever come? After last night he doubted even the contract would hold her back in KGH. What should he do now? "Dekhte hain kaka." He frowned as his phone started ringing. He glanced at the caller id before answering. "Yes Ranganath?"

"Good morning sir."

"Good morning. Everything OK?"

"Yes sir. I just wanted to give you a heads up on something. Dr Bhargav has taken off for a couple of weeks sir."

"What? Why?"

"Personal time off sir," came the hasty reply.

"And you agreed?" Ashutosh frowned. That was not like Ranganath.

"Sir, Dr Bhargav hadn't had a single day off in the last six months so I couldn't refuse."

Ashutosh sighed in irritation. "But my team needs an assistant Ranganath. You know it."

"Yes sir. Uh..you're going to have two assistants. Dr Madhusudan will take care of the surgical side and..ummm..Dr Nidhi Verma will be your assistant on the clinical side."

Everything fell into place like three cherries in the slot machine. Ashutosh's frown cleared. "Aaah..OK. That's fine then. I trust you informed Dr Verma of this latest..development?"

"Yes sir." The tone implied that Ranganath had faced an uphill battle and barely managed to succeed.

"Thank you Ranganath." He couldn't resist adding, "I'm sure Bhargav appreciates your..large heart. And Dr Armaan's too."

Mallika and Ashutosh entered his cabin in KGH later that morning. Mallika smiled as she took her usual place in front of Ashutosh. "So, how are things Ashutosh?"

Ashutosh smiled ruefully and shrugged. "Same as ever. You tell me. How is your bhabhi doing now? You took a sabbatical because she was not well, right?"

Mallika nodded with a grimace. "Yeah. She is better now. The treatment worked and she is able to move around the house a bit and take care of herself and her son. Of course, Aditya helps a lot but still.."

Ashutosh nodded in understanding. "That's good to know. So you're not going back?"

"No. I'm cutting my sabbatical short. That is..if the dean permits?" Her eyes twinkled mischievously.

Ashutosh gave a small grin and opened the file to scrawl his signature. He closed it and gave it to her. "Here you go Dr Mallika. You're back on duty from today on."

Mallika bowed a little. "Thank you sir," and laughed softly before adding, "I'm feeling hungry and I skipped breakfast. Want to come along to the canteen?"

"No. You go on. I'll catch up later. Need to check on the post ops."

Mallika nodded and got up. "I missed you Ashutosh. Really."

Ashutosh didn't respond and if the lack of response disappointed her, she didn't show. With another nod, she walked out of the cabin towards the bank of lifts that would take her to the top floor canteen but stopped midway as she heard a voice that she had thought she would never be hearing again. Bewilderment, shock and anger coursed through her face.What the hell was going on here?!

Nidhi pushed the conversation she had had with Ranganath that morning forcibly out of her mind and tried to concentrate on the reports in her hand. Bhargav was on leave? And she was the substitute until he gets back? A hospital of this size didn't have another neurologist other than the temporary one? It was as if fate knew what she had planned and checkmated her before she could move a single step in that direction. Not only fate, she had her own suspicions about Ranganath too. But she would deal with all that later. Now was definitely not the time.

"Dr Nidhi, what is wrong with my son? Why is he behaving like this? For a few days he seems absolutely normal and suddenly this.." a fiftyish worried father wrung his hands as he exchanged perplexing looks with his frantic wife.

Nidhi guided them to the nearby chairs and made them sit. She dragged a chair for herself and sat facing them. "Mr Acharya, ma'am, your son is suffering from what is medically termed as Multiple Sclerosis." She tried to explain in simple terms. "The nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord are damaged. So the nervous system is not able to communicate properly with the rest of his body."

"But there is a treatment, right? He can be cured, right?" The battle of fear and hope was obvious in the mother.

"But why this disease? What's the cause?"

Nidhi decided to address the father's question first. "There are many reasons sir. It could be low immune system, infection from the environment, internal malfunction..sometimes it could be genetic too."

The couple exchanged glances. "My father used to..behave oddly. A few days of being completely normal followed by extremely erratic behaviour. He..he is no more now of course but.."

Nidhi nodded. That explained a lot. "There is no known cure of MS ma'am but.."

"What is going on here?"

Even though she had been subconsciously waiting for it, the voice of Dr Mallika still caught her unawares for a moment. Taking a deep breath and giving what she hoped was a reassuring smile to the elderly couple, Nidhi stood up and faced her nemesis head on. "Good morning Dr Mallika. Welcome back to KGH."

Mallika blinked at the formal greeting but recovered fast. "May I have a word with you Nidhi?" Nidhi nodded and both of them stepped aside, away from the earshot of the worried parents. "What the hell are you doing Nidhi?"

"I was talking to the parents of a patient ma'am," came the deadpan reply.

"You bloody well know that you're not supposed to do that. Your job is to handover the reports to the concerned doctor and he will explain. You have crossed the line Nidhi Verma and come to think of it, why are you even here?"

"Any problem?" Ashutosh's low firm voice startled both women.

Nidhi decided to remain silent. After all, there was no point in trying to defend herself, was there?  Mallika shook her head and replied, "There is a case and Nidhi crossed her line. She.."

Ashutosh looked at Nidhi. "I trust Ranganath already gave you the news?" Nidhi nodded. Ashutosh could feel the reluctance leaping out of her. He looked at her straight shoulders and impassive face. It was as if she was bracing herself for a blow. He nodded. "Please go back to your duty Dr Nidhi. We'll discuss about that later."

Nidhi waited as if expecting him to say something more. When nothing was forthcoming, she nodded and left without a backward glance. But she could feel his eyes boring holes through her back with fervour. She willed herself to ignore it. Ashutosh waited until she was out of the room before turning back to face Mallika. With a look that made the staff of KGH quiver in terror but one which he rarely had directed at her. The same question zapped through her mind once again. What the hell was going on here?!

"What was all that about Mallika?"

Mallika shrugged and smiled. "Nothing serious Ashutosh. Relax, will you? I told you she was crossing the line and I tried to set her straight. Two years and she is still the same rule breaker that she ever was."

"Are you by chance talking about Dr Nidhi Verma?"

Mallika rolled her eyes. "Of course about Nidhi."

Ashutosh nodded and removed his glasses. He wiped them with a soft tissue and said, "Not Nidhi Mallika. Dr Nidhi. She completed her internship, wrote PG entrance and did her PG." He put his glasses on once again before looking at her squarely in the eye. "In Neurology."

Mallika felt the ground shifting under her feet. Did she hear it right? Why didn't anyone tell her about this? Why hadn't he told her about this before? Sure, she had been out of the country but they had been in touch through email. Agreed that his were less frequent than hers, but still..

"What?"

Ashutosh nodded. "You've come here after a long break. Don't jump to conclusions without getting your facts straight. It would cause misery to anyone. But for a doctor, it would be catastrophic."

"I'm..sorry. I didn't.." she stammered.

He gave another nod but was prevented from adding anything else as his phone rang. "Dr Ashutosh here?.. oh hello Sunil. How are you?... sure tell me..Hmmm..oh..OK..yeah. I'll be there right away.. yeah. No problem. Any time. Yeah..see you."

With a distracted look at Mallika, Ashutosh went back to the corridor and called the staff nurse passing by. "Please call Dr Nidhi. Urgent." The nurse nodded rapidly and hurried away.

"What happened Ashutosh?" Mallika frowned in concern.

"Accident case at City Centre hospital. Their neurosurgeon is not available."

Mallika nodded just as Nidhi walked up to them. "Yes sir?"

"A major accident case has been brought in to City Centre hospital. A pregnant lady with extensive wounds and head injury. I want you to come with me."

Nidhi nodded. "Do we need to shift the patient here? City Centre has only two OTs."

Ashutosh nodded. "Good thinking. Tell our guys to be on standby. You can call and confirm with them once we get there." Nidhi nodded and sent the message through her phone.

"Ashutosh wait." Mallika interrupted. "If it's a pregnant lady, I'll also come na. A gynac might be more useful than a junior neurologist. I can.."

Ashutosh shook his head before she could complete her sentence. "Their OBG is already there Mallika. For the next couple of weeks Nidhi is my assistant here so I need her with me. You go on. We'll see you later." That said, he started walking with ground eating strides. "Nidhi come on!"

Nidhi's feet were barely touching the ground as she ran to keep up with him.

Suvika. thumbnail
The honorable doctors of this forum! Please pardon me if I have taken the creative liberties a little too far at any point of time in this chapter. I have tried my best to keep the medical aspects as close to reality as possible.  

Chapter Nine

"Hello Dr Ashutosh! Thanks a lot for coming." Dr Sunil came forward with his hand outstretched. Ashutosh nodded and shook his hand. "Disastrous wreck I tell you. And the lady is full term." His gaze fell on Nidhi and he blinked. "Hey Nidhi! After a long time."

Nidhi smiled and nodded. "Hello sir. How are you?"

"Good. Good. But pleasantries later. Let's first.." he gestured towards the hospital interior. Nidhi fell in step along with both the men and listened intently as Sunil updated on the status of the patient. "Extensive intracranial subdural haemorrhage. Multiple locations Ashutosh. We need to act fast." He extended the CT and MRI reports to Ashutosh. He glanced at them and handed them over to Nidhi.

Nidhi asked, "Do we have the OT ready sir?"

"Yes Nidhi. The second one. You know the way." Sunil smiled and nodded. Nidhi took the reports and went towards the OT. Sunil shook his head. "As no-nonsense person as ever. She hasn't changed an inch, has she?"

Ashutosh remained silent. Truth be told he didn't know who this Nidhi was and didn't like this no-nonsense side of her. For him Nidhi meant joy. Nidhi meant naughty. Nidhi meant affectionate. Nidhi meant life. He locked his jaw and pushed those thoughts away. Now definitely was not the time.

Having done her internship there, she was familiar with the layout and also most of the staff. She clipped the MRI reports in place and informed the OBG and also called in the paediatrician to be on standby. The anaesthetist was already there ready and waiting. The patient was wheeled in and sterilized under Nidhi's supervision. Minutes later, Ashutosh walked into the OT. She poured the sterile water after he scrubbed both his hands with betadine liquid. Neither spoke nor even looked at each other. But the understanding between them was obvious to even the most casual of the onlookers. She knew the way he worked inside out..made a point of studying even the minutest details while they had been together during her internship. Most doctors made it easy and told the staff what they needed. But not him. He expected them to know it after the first time. This was not KGH and the staff didn't know the way he worked. She rushed and held the door open for him to enter the theatre and tied his apron and mask once he had donned them. He walked to the head of the table where the patient was lying down, raised his gloved hands to keep them away from touching anything, looked at her and nodded. Once. Yes. He was ready now. She nodded back and walked out of the OT to scrub her hands. There was another surgeon to help and assist him but she had to be prepared. Just in case.

Seven long exhausting hours later, Ashutosh and Nidhi dragged themselves to his car and literally fell into their seats with mutual groans of relief. Ashutosh blinked and shook his head as if to clear his vision. He turned to find Nidhi leaning back against the seat with her eyes closed.

"You OK?"

Nidhi nodded and opened her bright shining eyes. "That was the scariest and the most tense and exciting time of my life. My God! How did you do it Ashuji? I was so in awe I tell you. I mean..after my first anatomy class I have never fainted in my life but when the patient started having contractions right in the middle of your surgery, I thought that's it. How did you not lose it? I thought things like that only happened in Grey's Anatomy. Oh my God! I still can't believe I got to see something like that. Ashuji..working with you is just fantabulous I tell you.."

Ashutosh didn't interrupt her. Just sat and drank in her excited chatter. She was so thrilled and enlivened that she didn't even realize that she had started calling him Ashuji. Not once. Twice. The surgery had indeed been tense with the patient's life hanging by the thread. But they had done it. Saved both the mother and the child. After the first exclamation from the gynac that the patient's water broke, he had tuned himself out of what was happening below the patient's head. That was the only way he could have done what he had done. Perform a brain surgery while the OBG did a C-section to the same patient in parallel. This was one case that would go down the history. The patient would remain in ICU but he had the gut feeling that she could come through it. Too soon to tell though. But he was glad that he had Nidhi in there with him. That she got to see and experience something that was so rare.

Nidhi stopped her chatter abruptly and looked away. She fiddled with her dupatta before swallowing and turning towards him once again. "If-if you are tired, I can drive the car sir. You can relax a little." 

Ashutosh sighed. She was back to sir-ing him again. To be frank, he was not tired. He had been running on adrenalin all this time and was crashing down fast. What he wanted was to hug her tight. And touch her. Kiss her. Like he did the day they had gone to his baba's old house and he had shown her where he had grown up.

"Ashuji, can we live here after we get married?"

He had been lost after that. He had pulled her into his arms and..That was the one and only time he had tasted heaven on her lips. And had lived on that taste. Everything had fallen apart after that day. Ashutosh shook and cursed himself. Wrong time and wrong place. Again. Would there ever be a right time? Would they ever get a chance to actually sit and talk? Would she do that?  

"Sir?"

He looked at her and nodded. Both of them got down and changed places as she took the driver's seat and he adjusted the passenger seat, pushed it back into a slight recline and settled in. Nidhi started the car and slid it smoothly into the late afternoon traffic. "KGH?"

Ashutosh wanted to say home. But she would probably stop the car, get down and walk off again. "Let's get something to eat. I'm sure you're hungry and exhausted too."

Nidhi shrugged as she directed the car to the nearby restaurant. "Hungry, yes. But I didn't do much. You were the one who did all the work."

"You helped me with the reports. You kept wiping the sweat off my forehead every two minutes. Everyone in there was talking, shouting. But there you were, calm and quiet. Steady. Right beside me."

She didn't think he noticed who had been wiping his sweat. Her thoughts wandered. Right beside him. There had been a time when that was where she wanted to be. All the time. Then everything fell apart. And now it looked like he was trying to rebuild it again. But was it possible? This morning she had been prepared to once again be pushed aside and cut down to her knees. She had even been expecting it. But it hadn't happened. For the first time ever, he had chosen her over his friend. Was it a one-time thing? Probably. After all, in his own words, CCH had their own gynac. So he had a genuine reason for not needing Dr Mallika with him. And courtesy to Dr Bhargav and Ranganath, he was stuck with her. It was not like he had a choice there.

They made the rest of the journey in silence and soon she parked the car at a local restaurant which specialized in simple tasteful food. The ambience invited them to relax without the stiff formality that most of the five star hotels had. Both of them settled in a corner table facing each other.

Ashutosh flipped through the menu. "What would you like to have?"

"Food."

He grinned. "That hungry, huh? OK, food it is." He signalled the waiter and ordered roti, daalfry and a mixed vegetable sabzi. As they waited for the food to arrive, Ashutosh searched for a topic that would bring back his Nidhi again. For a while there at the parking lot of the hospital, she had come. But now she was gone again. Her eyes were no longer bright and smiling. And she had that solemn look on her face that he had come to hate. His Nidhi was never solemn. He wanted his Nidhi back. He had to do something to bring her back.

"So..you watch Grey's Anatomy, is it?"

Nidhi smiled a little and shook her head. "I watched one season. Started because it was a med based one but later on realized that it dealt with less cases and.."

"And more affairs." He nodded. "That's why I stopped watching too. These days I watch House though."

Her eyes lit up at that and she leaned forward. "You watch that? Even I've started watching. Can't believe it's the same guy who acted in Stuart Little."

Ashutosh blinked. "He did? As what?"

"Oh you don't know? He acted as Stuart's father. Uh..adoptive father I mean."

"That was Hugh Laurie?"

Nidhi grinned and nodded. "Yup. Yup."

"Wow! How come I didn't recognize? Yeah, now that you mention it..I thought he looked familiar the first time I saw him but never could place him. You watch online or the one that comes on TV?"

"TV. Interesting cases. From a strict medical point of view, I found some of them really weird but..chalta hain. Good time pass." He nodded in agreement.

"Can I ask you something sir?" Ashutosh winced but nodded. He was beginning to hate that word now. "That last haemorrhage..how did you know? I mean the MRI said.."

Ashutosh shrugged. "Gut feeling. After seeing so many cases, we get to know what to expect most of the times and something about that one didn't feel right to me. So I dug a little more."

"You saved her life." Admiration was clear in her tone and in her eyes.

"There are good days and there are bad days. I'm no God Nidhi. I just try my best. Sometimes.. most times that is not enough. Take this case. Complicated from the word go. Yet we succeeded. But a few months back, I had dealt with another one. A relatively simple case of cerebral contusion. Completely missed out on epidural haemorrhage. It lacerated an artery and.." He shrugged. "We couldn't save him. It was too late."

Nidhi remained silent for a few moments before asking, "How? I mean how did you miss out?"

He took one of the tissue papers placed on the table and looked for a pen. Nidhi quickly gave him one from her bag. He started drawing the image of skull and the brain as he started to explain the case. She leaned over the table to get a better look but the angle was not right. Seeing her tilting her head this way and that, he got up and came around to sit beside her. She immediately slid across the two-seater to give him more room. And their class continued. The waiter came and served their lunch. He peeked into the tissue and gave a weird look at the picture before placing the rest of the dishes on the table, nodding and beating a hasty retreat. Even with his limited education, he recognized the head and brain when he saw one. And those were discussing brain being cut open while they munched on food? The waiter's stomach churned. Neither of them paid least attention to the whole thing. Lunch was concluded as they continued to discuss that case and another one that she had seen while doing her PG. It was way past tea time by the time both of them walked out of the restaurant and made their way back to KGH.

Nidhi parked the car in the designated parking spot but Ashutosh stopped her before she could get down. "Nidhi?"

"Ji?" She grimaced and he smiled at that instinctive response.

"Last night's function..why did you leave so suddenly?" She looked away and refused to answer. She knew she couldn't lie to him and he knew that too. "You were looking so beautiful in that dress..dancing with those children. I loved it. Loved watching my Nidhi coming back to life right in front of my eyes. I thought after the function, we could maybe go for dinner or something. But then you disappeared. I didn't know where you had gone and why. What happened Nidhi? Was it because Mallika had come?"

She tried to give a nonchalant shrug. "I'm sure you had a good time with her at the dinner." She hated herself for sounding so bitchy but she couldn't stop her words.

"I didn't go to dinner with her. I went home. Alone." He turned to look out of the window. "Nidhi, she is my friend. That's all."

"I know."

"You told me once that she had hurt you time and again. Why didn't you tell me at that time Nidhi? Why hide that? If I had known.."

"If you had known then what sir? What would you have done? Supported me? Told her to get lost? That she had no right to judge me? Was that what you would've done?" Nidhi shook her head. "She was..is your friend and you trusted her. It was her word against mine."

"I trust you Nidhi."

She shook her head again. "No sir. You don't. You never did. And probably never will. When push comes to shove, I will always be the same to you and to her. Immature rule breaker of KGH. This degree, all this meddling from people around..none can change that." Nidhi got down from the car and walked away. Slowly. But with her back straight.

"I'm sorry Nidhi. So sorry that I made you feel that way. I wanted to talk to you. But now I realize that words are not going to help. It's too late for words."

"Dr Nidhi? Dr Ashutosh is out of the OT."

Nidhi nodded at the nurse and started picking up the discharge sheets that needed his signatures along with the ICU reports. A few more days and she would be turning into a certified lunatic. Maybe she should make an appointment with the KGH resident psychiatrist? He was driving her insane. Crazy. Stark raving mad. It had been four days since that historical surgery and its resounding success. And from that point on, Dr Ashutosh Mathur seemed to vanish into thin air whenever he was in her proximity. All she could see was her Ashuji. She was determined to see the dean and he seemed equally determined to show her that he was her Ashuji. The way he looked at her, the way he spoke her, even the way he said, good morning Dr Nidhi, had a personal touch to it. All her cravings were being resurrected despite her best efforts to smother them and there wasn't a single thing she could do about it. Every day she finished her duty at KGH and went to the orphanage. And there he was. Right behind her or sometimes even reached there ahead of her. He played games with the boys just like he used to do when she had known him from before. Just the previous evening he had coaxed the boys into dragging her into playing dodge ball along with all of them. Him included. It had been impossible to maintain any kind of distance. And she had gone home that night tired, elated and with a huge grin on her face. The temptation to reach out once again was overwhelming her by the hour. It was exhausting and exhilarating at the same time. In one word, she was going mad.

Nidhi's brisk steps carried her to Ashutosh's cabin. Just as she raised her hand to knock the half closed door, the voices coming from inside reached and stopped her.

Joining the duty after a sabbatical was never easy. It took Mallika four full days to overcome her jetlag completely and catch up with everything. She had got wind of the KGH gossip on the very first day but Ashutosh had been unavailable and she had been busy. But she wasn't going to wait anymore. She waited until he came out of the OT and came right behind him into his cabin.

"Ashutosh, what is going on here?"

Ashutosh didn't have to pretend to be surprised. "What? What is going on?"

"Nidhi had left all those years ago. Why is she doing here now? And if you needed an assistant, you couldn't find anyone else?"

"It was a management decision Mallika, not a personal one. Bhargav is on leave and Madhusudan said he couldn't handle both surgical and clinical sides." Not that he owed her any explanation. That sentence was loud and silent in the room.

"Can you imagine the gossip that is doing rounds?"

He shrugged and had the gall to smile. "It is nice of you to be concerned Mallika but there was gossip when you and I joined here all those years ago. You didn't care then. Why now?"

"Are you saying there is no truth in it?"

"I'm saying it doesn't matter and no one's business except my own."

"She will only hurt you. Again."

"I think I can confidently say that she is the one person who never hurt me. I was the one who broke our relationship before and you know it. You want to blame someone, blame me. Not her."

"So what changed now?"

"A lot." Both of them heard the firm knock on the door. "Come in."

"Good morning sir, ma'am." Nidhi walked into the cabin hoping that her face didn't reveal the effect that conversation had on her. For once, she didn't regret eavesdropping. It gave her another glimpse into his heart and his feelings. Another layer of the wall inside her crumpled and fell.

"Good morning Nidhi. Discharge reports?"

"Yes sir. And a couple of ICU patients are ready for a step down. So the mediction.." She could feel Dr Mallika simmering silently beside her but ignored her.

Ashutosh signed the files and updated the medicines list before returning them to her with a small smile. She nodded her thanks and turned to go but his voice stopped her. "Nidhi?"

"Ji?" For the first time she didn't regret or wince at that instinctive response.

"You're going to go to the orphanage this evening, right?" She nodded. "Provided there are no emergencies at the last minute, shall we go together? No point in going separately when we are going from the same place to the same place, right?"

Nidhi didn't give herself time to overthink. She nodded and heard his breath sigh out. With another nod, she left. Mallika waited until the door closed behind Nidhi before rounding on him again. "You are making a mistake once again Ashutosh."

He shook his head. "I don't think so Mallika."

"If not about yourself, then at least think about her Ashutosh. She is so young. Fifteen years your..our junior. A kid. That hasn't changed. Will never change. You are just giving in to your temptation now but you'll regret this once again."

"Mallika.."

"What has changed? Tell me. Your tastes or preferences don't match. Nature wise, both of you are polar opposites. You won't fit into her world and neither can she fit into yours. You two are like chalk and cheese Ashutosh."

Nidhi didn't wait to hear any more. It hurt but she didn't regret eavesdropping this time either. At least now she knew. At least now she wouldn't be waiting for him in the evening. We'll go together indeed! Dr Mallika was right. Some things never changed. Nidhi kept herself busy the rest of the day hoping to avoid her own thoughts. Lunch time came and she reluctantly made her way to the canteen. Starving herself wouldn't change a damn thing except make her more snappy and irritable. Might as well eat. She got herself a plate of daal roti and sat down to eat.

"Can I have this seat Dr Nidhi?" Nidhi bit back a vicious no and nodded once before going back to her eating. Bite, chew, swallow. Bite, chew, swallow. "So, Dr Nidhi, what brings you to KGH once again?"

Nidhi gave her a bland look. "There was some staff shortage and Dr Ranganath requested."

Mallika nodded before taking a delicate bite of her own sandwich. "And this staff shortage..it's still there, is it?"

"I wouldn't know ma'am. When I joined I was made to sign a six week contract."

"And you couldn't let go of the chance to have another go at him, could you?"

Armaan and Ranganath who had been about to enter the canteen for their own lunch, took in the scene before them. Ranganath sighed despondently. "Sir, this is like one step forward and two steps back." Armaan nodded, his eyes never leaving the two conversing women. And their obvious hostility. Ranganath's face perked up. "Sir, there is an OBG conference coming up next week in Delhi. Maybe I can sign in Dr Mallika for that?"

Armaan shook his head. "No Ranganath. Removing her from the scene will only act like a band aid over a wound that needs suturing. Both of them need to find a permanent solution. Despite Mallika's constant interfering presence. Ashutosh needs to stop getting influenced and Nidhi needs to stop feeling insecure. We can't help them in that."

Just then Ashutosh stepped off the elevator and quickly made his way to the canteen. He barely stopped to nod at the men before he went inside and stood for a moment as if searching for someone. His eyes landed on the women and he went to their table. "Nidhi?"

Nidhi, who had sensed his presence, got up immediately. "Yes sir?"

"That guy who went into a coma after the surgery..he woke up suddenly and started puking." Nidhi's eyes widened in alarm and she made a move to go. He halted her movement with a gentle hand on her arm. "It has stopped now but.." he shook his head, a frown marring his face.

"And you're asking her for an opinion?" Mallika scoffed the derision in her voice too obvious to miss.

Ashutosh, who was already tense about the patient, seemed to snap on the inside. "Toh aur kisse poochu? Tumse Mallika? Do I talk about a neurological patient with a gynac?"

Mallika was taken aback at that retort. At being put down in front of everyone by him for the first time. "Ashutosh I just meant.."

"Sir..maybe we should get the LFT done."

Ashutosh blinked and a slow smile dawned on his face. "Hepatitis C." Nidhi nodded, her own smile breaking free. "Why didn't I think of that! You see what I mean by over experience?"

A giggle escaped her as she nodded. "My lunch is done sir. You have yours; I'll go and take care of the tests."

Ashutosh shook his head. "Kaka made a heavy breakfast today. Not hungry. Let's go and do this and then we can leave for the orphanage. I'll have some snack once we reach there." Nidhi blinked and her entire face lit up. She didn't even bother hiding her joy. She nodded, gulped down some water before both of them nodded at a stunned Mallika and made their way out.

Armaan and Ranganath who had observed the entire exchange couldn't hold back the goofy grins on their faces. Armaan even did a small two step of de de pyaar de pyaar de..pyaar de re..hume pyaar de..duniyawale kuch bhi samjhe hum hain prem diwane.. before saying, "Ranga bhaiya, we don't need to do anything except sit and watch the show from now on."

"Yes sir. Front row seats."

"But we would be ready to lend a helping hand to the stars as and when required."

"Of course sir, of course."

Suvika. thumbnail

Chapter Ten

Mallika left KGH as soon as she could and drove her car towards the orphanage. She had wanted to leave sooner but Ranganath had some papers for her sign and later on Armaan wanted her opinion on one of his cases where the lady was pregnant. She had to reach there fast now. She had to stop Ashutosh from jumping once again with both his feet in. She hadn't wanted to go to Australia at all but she couldn't refuse her brother in time of need. But the thought that Nidhi was out of Ashutosh's life had given her a sense of relief. Now she was back..only to find..THIS! Goddammit! She banged her steering wheel and stopped the car in front of the orphanage. As she got down and started walking towards the building, shrieks and shouts of the children caught her attention and she looked at the playground. And could only stare at the scene being played right in front of her stunned furious eyes.

"Ashu sir..Ashu sir..you're IT. You're IT."

Ashutosh dropped on the dusty playground with a laugh and stretched his legs. "That's cheating. You guys have learnt to cheat. Looks like your didi taught you well how to do that."

Nidhi bounced the ball in the air and caught it. Her eyes glinted with pure devilry and mischief. It was all he could do to stop himself from pulling her into his arms and take a bite of that smiling lips. "Cheating? No one is cheating here Ashu sir. It's called practice and you're out of it."

Ashutosh neatly caught the ball that she threw at him and looked around at the tense and ready players. He aimed the ball at a nine year old boy and at the last second, changed direction and threw it at Nidhi hitting her squarely on her shoulder. Everyone shouted and cheered their Ashu sir as Nidhi glared at him with a pouty look on her face. He couldn't resist saying, "you were saying something about practice, Dr Nidhi?"

Sister Mary came out and yelled everyone to come inside for their snacks and study time. All twenty odd number of boys started running towards the building whooping and shouting at each other. Nidhi picked up the ball and said, "You're going to come inside?"

Wordlessly, Ashutosh extended his hand from his place on the ground asking Nidhi to help him in getting up. She knew he needed no help. The bulging biceps and the washboard flat stomach were a testament to that. But nevertheless, she approached him with lingering smile in her eyes and extended her own hand. He caught it in his and pulled himself up but didn't let go of her hand. After a few moments of hesitation, she relaxed her grip and slowly, reluctantly, his touch withdrew. Neither could look away from the other as the dusty wind blew over the ground ruffling his hair and pulling a few strands out of her ponytail.

"Nidhi..will you have dinner with me?"

"Ji?" Nidhi blinked.

"Ashutosh!" Mallika called out to him loudly making them both jump a little.

Nidhi stepped back and started walking slowly towards the building. Good thing she didn't say yes. Now, even though her heart would have one more hacking, her pride would be intact. But her mind seized to function as she felt Ashutosh falling into step beside her and walking along with her towards the building and where Mallika was standing and waiting for him with barely leashed patience. Ashutosh pulled out his hanky and wiped his sweaty face. "Hey Mallika! What are you doing here?"

Mallika tried to cover her glare at Nidhi with her smiling lips. "Just like that. I came here only on the annual day na. So wanted to see the orphanage properly, meet the kids.." She shrugged elegantly. "And I had time in my hands so.."

"After all this time finally you've decided to visit. That's really great." He nodded with a smile and gestured to Sister Mary. "Sister, this is my friend, Dr Mallika. She wants to see the orphanage."

"Hello Dr Mallika," Sister Mary smiled with genuine pleasure. "Welcome."

Mallika nodded and turned towards Ashutosh, completely ignoring the silent Nidhi. "Tum bhi chalo Ashutosh."

Nidhi's first instinct had been to flee again but her feet refused to cooperate this time. Ashutosh's sigh reached her first. "Nahi Mallika. Tum jao. I'm really tired after that game and dusty too. It's snack time for the kids so don't want to come like this. I'm going to head home now. Baad mein baat karte hain." He turned towards Nidhi. "Want to come along? I can drop you on my way."

"Ashutosh par.." Mallika's stuttered protest was cut short as Sister Mary called out to her from the door. "Dr Mallika, please come."

Nidhi couldn't hold back her smile or the hope rising in her heart. She nodded rapidly like a hummingbird. With the lop-sided smile playing on his lips, he tilted his head and gestured her to precede him with his hand. With a final, "see you Mallika" thrown in Mallika's general direction, Ashutosh started walking towards his car with Nidhi right beside him.

Ashutosh waited until he hit the main road before asking Nidhi again, "So..will you have dinner with me?"

Nidhi turned to look out of the window to hide her shy joyful smile from him. "Ji. But where will we go? We look like a pair of rugby players just out of the field." She indicated their dirt smeared clothes. Her yellow kurta had liberal smudges of brown on it and so did her dark green leggings. And his black trousers looked more grey than black. He had rolled up the sleeves of his light blue shirt and had pulled the shirt out of its tuck before he started playing. So needless to say, it was badly wrinkled and crumpled all over. In short, they looked like anything but a pair of respectable doctors and if they went to a five star restaurant, the manager would probably show the board which would state, right of admission reserved.

Ashu slanted a bemused look towards her. "That bad, huh!" She nodded and chuckled. "I know a place where they welcome rugby players and feed them tasty food."

"Toh der kis baat ki? Chaliye. Mujhe bhook bhi lagi hain."

Twenty five minutes later, Ashutosh's car came to a halt in front of a dhaba almost at the outskirts of Lucknow. Nidhi's eyes and her whole face lit up. "Here?" Ashutosh nodded. Both of them got down and were heartily welcomed by the owner of the dhaba. They settled themselves on one of the cots and enjoyed the scenic beauty of darkening skies and thick lush trees that acted as a backdrop for the dhaba.

Ashutosh told them to get whatever was the speciality of the day. He didn't want to waste time debating on the menu. No. He wanted to talk to his Nidhi and hear her talk. Not as a doctor or his assistant but as his..

"You should've asked what was there. You don't like if the food is too spicy na."

"You remember!" Her smile slipped as she shrugged and looked away. There wasn't a single thing she had forgotten about him from the preferences of his food to how he hated if he had to change his gloves once he got sterilized. He had been looking for an opening to start a personal conversation and she herself gave him one. "Nidhi?"

"Ji?"

"How did you manage the last two years? I mean, did your baba support you financially? I know you said you don't stay with him anymore but.."

"My mom had opened a trust fund kind of a thing when I was 5 years old. I could get to operate it once I touched 24. Baba himself gave me the papers as soon as I finished my internship."

"But he must be missing you, right? And your dadi bua too. Don't you miss them Nidhi?"

Nidhi looked away. A brief flash of pain crossed her face which was quickly followed by stoic acceptance. "Yes. They miss me. I miss them. That's life I guess. None of us were..are willing to bend or budge from our stand."

"And your friend..Anji?"

"She understands me and has always supported me."

"And is furious with me."

Nidhi tried to wave it away. "Not really."

Ashutosh raised his eyebrow. "You forget Dr Nidhi Verma, I met her on the night of that party. If looks could kill, I would've been sent for autopsy."

The sardar placed two steaming plates of phulkas and paneer sabzi in front of them and told them to yell for more phulkas when done. Nidhi remained silent as both of them dug into their food with gusto. After demolishing two phulkas, she asked, "Was that why you saw me and walked away in the next second?"

"You walked away too Nidhi." He also stopped eating as he looked into her eyes.

"Because that was what you wanted two years ago."

Ashutosh shook his head. "Never. But..I thought that was the best thing I could do for you Nidhi. I didn't want to..stiffle you.."

Nidhi nodded her face impassive. "True. So you thought it better to stab and give me a quick death." She bent her head and started playing with her food.

"But it didn't happen that way, did it?" He softly inserted. "The wound got infected and poisoned your heart. It left me bleeding and sucked the life out of both of us."

"I don't want or need your pity."

"Who is talking about pity? Look at me. I said, look at me Nidhi." Her hurt defiant eyes met his tired wounded ones. "I'm sorry Nidhi. More sorry than I can say. For everything. For not trusting you and our relationship. For not being strong enough to fight my fears. For letting them win time and again. For letting down my..your..our love. I'm..sorry."

She would have to be made of stone for those words to not have any effect on her. She bit the inside of her lip to stop the tears that sprung in her eyes. He was sorry. She was sorry too. For giving up so easily without a fight. But..was that enough? What changed in these two years? He hadn't trusted while they had been together. Would he trust her and her feelings now? Were they both strong enough to stand by their love? Or would they fall apart at the next hurdle? Both of them finished the rest of their dinner and drove back home in silence. Nidhi lost in her own contemplations and Ashutosh giving her the time and the space that she seemed to need. But as he brought the car to a halt in front of her apartment, he realized that he couldn't let her go just yet. And neither did she seem to be in a hurry to get down from the car. After a slight hesitation, he took her hand in his and entwined their fingers. She didn't tighten her fingers. But neither did she pull back.

"Nidhi..I..I want you back Nidhi. I want you back in my life. Please Nidhi." Gently, as if handling a wounded animal, he brought her hand and held it to his cheek. She didn't resist. She couldn't resist as her palm cupped his beard roughened cheek and her fingers grazed through the greying hair at his temples. He closed his eyes and almost groaned out loud at the pleasure of that touch. "Nidhi, come back to me."

"I'm..I'm scared." Her whispered voice reached him.

"I'm..scared too. But..it's hell without you. I want to live again Nidhi. Not merely endure and exist." She remained silent as her inner battle continued. He finally realized her hand after placing an ardent kiss in the centre of her palm. "Will you think about it?" Nidhi nodded. She gave him a long lingering look before getting down from the car and closing the door. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight." He saw the way her fingers closed over her palm as if trying to hold on to his kiss. His heart exulted.

"Oh and Nidhi, call the diagnostics also please. I need the MRI reports stat." Ashutosh handed the file back to Nidhi.

"Yes sir. Will do."

Ranganath almost barged into the cabin after a cursory knock the next morning just as Nidhi was about to give Ashutosh the second file. "Good morning sir, Nidhi. Sir, congratulations sir. Hearty congratulations. To you too Nidhi."

Both Nidhi and Ashutosh exchanged slightly flushed bewildered looks. Why was he congratulating them? Did you tell Anji anything?Ashutosh's eyes questioned Nidhi. Nidhi hastily shook her head and shrugged. Even if she did, what was there to congratulate about? It was not as if..

Right behind Ranganath, Armaan also waltzed into the cabin; only, he didn't bother with the knock. "Awesome work mere bhai. I'm so so proud of you. Nidhi..really happy for you." He placed an affectionate hand on her head and smiled.

Ranganath nodded eagerly. "True sir. The staff and other doctors have also come to know."

Nidhi blinked and swallowed. What was going on here? "Ranganath what..?"

"Arre, what come to know? They have been talking about it since early this morning. I got the first message from Dr Gandhi at 5.30 in the morning." Armaan looked ready to strut.

"But Armaan sir what.."

"I think we should have a party and celebrate sir. After all, it is not every day that our dean and his assistant.."

Armaan nodded. "Great idea Ranganath. Nidhi, I think we should talk to your baba too. He should know."

"STOP!" Silence descended at Ashutosh's loud firm voice. He took a deep breath and tried to appear calm. "Now, tell me clearly what's going on!"

"Sir, the case that you operated on at City Centre?" At Ashutosh's nod, Ranganath continued. "The AIMC has considered it as one of the rarest ones in the medical history. They want the whole team to come and present it in Delhi. And..sir..they are talking about extending a grant to KGH and City Centre. Sir, if we get this.." Ranganath seemed to be lost for words as he gestured with his hands what all they could do with the grant money in KGH. He could see new advanced medical equipment, another OT, a couple of ICUs..

Ashutosh and Nidhi looked at each other. Excitement started taking over both their faces and in the next moment both were grinning like a couple of idiots. Words weren't needed to convey what each was feeling. Their silence was louder and clearer than any eloquent poetry. Armaan silently elbowed Ranganath and soon, both of them were wearing similar grins for a different reason altogether.

"Why are you all shouting? What is going on here?" Mallika entered the cabin with a concerned frown.

"Nothing Dr Mallika, I was just giving sir the news about AIMC." Ranganath elaborated.

A genuinely delightful smile replaced her frown. "Congratulations Dr Ashutosh Mathur. When are you going to Delhi?"

"I spoke to Dr Sunil just now Dr Ashutosh. His team along with you and Dr Nidhi will be leaving by today evening flight. Presentation is tomorrow morning and you'll be returning by tomorrow night." Ranganath gave the printout with the flight itenary.

Mallika frowned. "Nidhi? Why would you need a junior doctor for an AIMC presentation? And the grant for KGH depends on it too. Why take a chance?"

Ashutosh actually rolled his eyes at that. "Because she happens to be my assistant Mallika." He turned towards Nidhi, excitement firing his eyes again. "You see to those MRI reports and clear our appointments for today and tomorrow. Go home and pack. Be ready. I'll pick you up."

Nidhi shook her head with a smile. "Not required sir. I'll meet you at the airport directly. It would be a roundabout way for you na." He nodded and she left the cabin closing the door softly behind her. Mallika turned to Ashutosh. "It's an interesting case. I want to accompany too Ashutosh."

"Ma'am, you have three surgeries scheduled tomorrow morning and an off so soon after your sabbatical.." Ranganath left the sentence hanging.

Mallika glared at the trio. "If a junior doctor can go, why can't I?"

"Nothing to do with seniority Mallika and you know it." Ashutosh stared unblinkingly at Mallika until she blinked and looked away.

"Just what is your issue here Mallika? That Ashutosh is going without you or..Nidhi is accompanying Ashutosh?" Armaan's blunt question earned him a furious glare from her. She had no comeback to that and she knew it.

It was almost six in the evening by the time the whole team reached Delhi and settled into their respective rooms. Nidhi along with another female assistant from City Centre had one room while the senior doctors had individual rooms one floor above. Nidhi had informed her baba about the sudden trip and he had been genuinely happy and sounded so proud of her, she thought with a fond smile on her face. He might stomp and growl on the outside but on the inside he was like any other father. Cheering at his daughter's success and fame. By the time she took a shower and came out, there was a missed call. She looked at the caller id and grinned before pressing the call back button.

"Hey Stranger!" Rohan's ever cheerful voice brought an automatic smile on her face.

"Hi Rohan! Sorry I was in the shower when you had called. How are you?"

"I'm fine. I'm leaving for US tomorrow actually so right now in Delhi.."

"Whoa back up a little. You're going to US?"

"Yup. Just for three months. On project work. So.."

"And you're in Delhi?"

"Yup. Till tomorrow midnight."

"I'm in Delhi too."

"WHAT? When did you get here and why?" Nidhi laughed and quickly narrated the reason behind the sudden trip. "Hmmm..so Dr Ashutosh is also here, is it?"

"Yes."

"Figures."

"Meaning?" She frowned. Rohan and his penchant for cryptic sentences!

"The smile is back in your voice and the joy is back in your tone. What say we meet this evening? For some tea and snacks? Won't get another chance and it's away from my parents and also yours. So.."

"Yeah sure." She named the hotel where she was staying and it was luckily close to the friend's house where he was. "So, you'll come here?"

"Yes. Fifteen minutes? And if I can meet Dr Ashutosh too..nothing like it. You guys are back together, aren't you?" His tone indicated she better say yes or there would be hell to pay.

"I..don't know Rohan. He wants to but.."

"Yaar you guys think too much and complicate things unnecessarily. Say yes to the guy and put him out of his misery, why don't you?"

Nidhi bit her lip. Rohan would make a good match for you. Both of you are of the same age, share the same interests..like..like clubbing. His words from so long ago rang in her head. Would he still feel the same way if he meets Rohan and sees us together again? "Hey, you there?" Rohan's voice brought her out of her reverie. She quickly agreed to meet him at the coffee shop of the hotel. As for the other..well..she would ask and see. After disconnecting the call, she made another call to another number. One which she hadn't used in more than two years. Ashutosh picked up the call almost immediately.

"Nidhi? Everything OK?"

"Ji. Ummm..actually Rohan is here in Delhi right now. He wants to meet me..us..at the coffee shop below in fifteen minutes."

"Oh OK. Sure. I'll be down in say..ten minutes?"

Nidhi perked up at that. "OK. See you." She threw the phone on the bed and quickly got ready in another one of her long skirts. This one a tan coloured one with a black top with short sleeves and a square neckline.

Ashutosh looked at the phone and sighed before getting up to change and go down. He chose to wear black jeans and a dark grey t-shirt. Rohan. Not long ago, he had genuinely thought Rohan would make a better partner for his Nidhi. That she would be content and happy in the long term. After all, what would she have in common with a man fifteen years her senior? These days five years is considered as a generation gap. Here they had fifteen long years separating them. He shook his head as if trying to dislodge the doubts. He was doing it again. Letting his insecurities rule his thoughts. He ran a brush through his hair and went downstairs to the coffee shop. Both he and Nidhi reached almost at the same time and Rohan was already waiting for them. He got up with a huge grin on his boyish face.

"Hi Nidhi. Hello Sir." He gave a one armed hug to Nidhi and shook his hands with Ashutosh. Three of them sat down and Ashutosh ordered coffee for three of them. Rohan's eyes widened. "Kyu sir? Coffee? Adrak wali chai nahi?"

Nidhi answered before Ashutosh could. "Adrak chai ka mazaa toh chai ke dukaan mein hi milta hain Rohan. Tum nahi samjhoge. Yahaa toh coffee hi better hain."

"Oh Dr Nidhi Verma submitting thesis on adrakwali chai huh?" All three shared a laugh. "So, when is your meeting?"

"Tomorrow morning. You know Rohan..I'm excited and nervous too. And you should've seen that day of the surgery. My God! The anaesthetist almost had a nervous breakdown. I knew it. I knew that day itself that this one will make headlines. There is going to be a press conference too tomorrow." Her eyes were wide with wonder and her entire face was animated. "Can you imagine subdural haemorrhages in multiple locations and operating on them while the OBG performed a C-section? Just wait and watch. The AIMC guys are not going to believe this. Dr Sunil recorded the whole surgery. It was almost.."

Rohan shook his head and waved his hands. "Whoa whoa lady..I don't understand a word you're saying and I don't want to either." He gestured with a wave of his hand that everything was going over his head.

Ashutosh laughed softly at the way Nidhi snapped her mouth shut and pouted. He cleared his throat before asking, "So Rohan, you're going to US. Which part?"

"Atlanta sir. We expected many things to change in the Obama rule but.."

"Hilary Clinton is going to contest again I hear?"

Rohan nodded. "I'm just glad that Sarah Palin is not." Ashutosh spluttered into his coffee and started laughing. "Arre sir, sach bolraha hu. You remember how those radio people called her saying.."

Ashutosh laughed some more. "Yeah. French President indeed."

"I mean that was just so.." Rohan rolled his eyes.

"They are called Masked Avengers for a reason Rohan."

"Who is Sarah Palin? Koi model hain kya?" Nidhi's question made both men look at her in abject horror.

"NIDHI!" Rohan groaned and covered his face.

"What?" Nidhi's confused face alternated between both men. "What did I say?"

Rohan shook his head and bowed before Ashutosh. "Sir, yeh ladki aapko hi mubarak."

Ashutosh grinned as he finished his coffee and got up. "Thank you Rohan. Ab buss uss razamandi ka hi intezaar hain." He shook his hand and patted his shoulder affectionately. "And all the best. Sorry to rush off like this but I have a dinner meeting with a couple of doctors so.."

"No problem sir. It was nice meeting you."

Nidhi made a move to get up but Ashutosh placed a hand on her shoulder. "Sit. You guys chat and catch up. I'll meet you tomorrow morning."

"8 AM sharp." She chorused along with him and all three laughed again.

Rohan waited until Ashutosh left the coffee shop before settling back into his chair and stretching his legs out. "He has changed."

Nidhi bit her lip. Between Anji and Rohan, Rohan had always been stronger supporter of her love. Anji's support masked concern but Rohan always shot it straight. "You think so?"

"Yup. Yup. He is..I don't know..more open now. Unka pyaar saaf dikhta hain."

Nidhi shook his head. "Nah. Maybe it's because you know it's there."

Rohan shrugged. "Maybe. But I knew before too. It's like he had been wearing a mask before..which covered his eyes and now that's gone." He paused. "He is probably still the same for everyone but..yaar..I'm no good at this psychobabble. Suffice it to say..he is as crazy as ever about you only now I can see it better."

Ashutosh left the coffee shop with a heart that felt lighter than before. He realized the truth of something that he had read very long ago.

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

It was so true. He had been worried about not fitting into her world and she fitting into his. His fear obscured the fact that both of them had been inhibiting in the same world. Would agree on some things and disagree on others like any other couple would. 

Suvika. thumbnail

Chapter Eleven

"Hey Anji, you awake yet?" Nidhi didn't feel guilty for waking up her friend at 6 in the morning. Neither cared about the time when they had wanted to talk to each other. When they had been neighbours, it had been just a matter of jumping over the wall and now it was just a matter of picking up the phone.

"Dude, I just woke up. Hang on a sec." Anji yawned and stretched before getting up and going to the balcony. "Bol, kya baat hain? Oh and before I forget, Verma uncle came to visit us yesterday. You told him about this case? He looked so proud Nidhi." He had also remarked on how happy Nidhi had sounded. He had felt the difference. But Anji didn't mention this to her friend. "So..how is Delhi and..how are things?"

Nidhi also did the same. She went to the balcony so as not to disturb her still-sleeping roommate. Her face glowed at those words. Her schedule had been so hectic that she couldn't go and meet him so she had called him to give the news. "Delhi is good and things are also..good. Hey, I met Rohan last evening."

"Rohan? Woh kaha se tapak pada Delhi mein?"

Nidhi quickly gave her the update about the previous night. Anji quietly heard everything that her friend said and didn't say. She sighed and rubbed her head. "You're going to say yes to him, aren't you?"

Anji's quiet question put a halt to Nidhi's ramblings. She bit her lip and thought. "I want to Anji."

"OK."

"That's it? Just OK?"

"Nidhi..I've always known that for you it's always been him and only him. You're the only one who can decide whether to risk your heart again or not..whether to trust him again or not. I just want you to be happy and I'm OK with any decision that brings that net result."

"He has changed Anji. He is more intense now. More determined and more confident. He was completely OK with me spending the evening with Rohan. He wasn't trying to be polite or anything."

"And Mallika? She sure is not going to keep quiet."

Nidhi nodded with a faraway look on her face. "I know. But I think he sees things more clearly now."

"He trusts you? As a doctor? As a person?"

"Yes."

"And the age gap issue?"

"He seems OK with that too."

"And if tomorrow someone says something or your baba objects..would he still stand by you and face it?"

"I hope so Anji. I really really hope so."

Both friends remained silent with their own thoughts. Anji knew Nidhi wouldn't be able to survive another blow. If not for her PG, Nidhi would've gone insane after that break-up. Nidhi knew it was all about taking a chance and trusting again. The past few days have proven that whatever his reasons for breaking off their relationship, he has suffered as much as she did. Probably more. "It's hell without you. I want to live again Nidhi." His words rang in her ears again.

"Anji..bolna yaar."

"Mein kya bolu. If I'm not wrong, you've already decided. Just go with it Nidhi. And take care. OK? And promise me that you'll..just..take care."

"Yeah, I will. Don't worry Anji. I'll call you once I reach home late tonight. OK?"

"Bye."

Just as Nidhi cut the call, the phone rang again. "Hello?"

"Nidhi, good morning. This is Dr Sunil here."

"Hello sir. Good morning."

"Nidhi, we need your help. That video presentation we prepared..it's not coming in my laptop. I tried in Dr Ashutosh's laptop too but something seems to be wrong. Do you know anything about computers by any chance?"

She could hear the panic in his voice. "A little sir. I can check."

"Good. Come up to Dr Ashutosh's room then. We barely have an hour before we have to leave."

"Yes sir. I'm on my way." Nidhi stuffed the phone back in her pyjama pocket and ran a hasty brush through her sleep ruffled hair. After waking up and explaining the situation to her roommate, she took the lift and reached Ashutosh's room all in five minutes. Sunil opened the door before she could finish knocking. "Nidhi do something." He was literally sweating.

She tried to reassure him. "Sir, I'll try. If worst comes to worst, I'll call my friend Rohan. He is a computer whizz and lives close by. What knowledge I have is from him. He used to fiddle with my laptop and taught me a little in the process."

Sunil seemed hopeful and worried at the same time as he led her into the room. Both the laptops were open on the centre table and the CDs right beside them. Just then Ashutosh walked into the hall from the adjoining bedroom. He was buttoning up his shirt with one hand and seemed genuinely startled to see her. He took in her sleep flushed face, slightly tumbled mass of her hair, white and baby pink night shirt and baby pink pyjama. His eyes darkened to a deep black. Nidhi seemed to be equally enthralled at seeing him in that semi-dressed state with half of the buttons of his shirt still unbuttoned displaying the white undershirt beneath. Her fingers itched to complete the task of buttoning..or unbuttoning and she fisted her fingers to stop herself. He saw that gesture and took an involuntary step towards her before Sunil's voice reached him.

"Ashutosh, I called Nidhi to see to this CD. She is a little better than both of us. You were in the shower and I didn't want to delay it anymore."

Ashutosh swallowed, locked his jaw and gave a jerky nod. After another sidelong glance, Nidhi went to the laptops and perched herself on the edge of the sofa. After tapping the keys for a couple of minutes, she wrinkled her brow. "Sir, Uh..Dr Sunil," the three of them smiled at the way she corrected herself since there were apparently two sirs in that room. "Your media player is corrupted."

Sunil looked horrified. "Bloody hell! Now what?"

She checked Ashutosh's laptop and bit her lip. "This works but.."

"There is no audio. I've been meaning to get that checked but.." Ashutosh shook his head. Now even he looked worried.

"The PPT is fine though." Nidhi tried to reassure.

"But without the video.."

Nidhi bit her lip and took out her phone. After speaking to Rohan for a few minutes, she visibly brightened up and quickly ended the call. "Sir, I have a solution. I will upload this on YouTube and.." she looked at Sunil and asked, "you have a data card, right?" He nodded. "Great. This will work sir. Just give me ten minutes."

And she quickly got to work of signing in and uploading the video. Sunil sent a quick prayer of thanks before saying, "OK. I'll go and get ready. Nidhi, make sure everything is set and bookmark the link in my laptop too. See you guys." With a final wave, he left, closing the door softly behind him.

Silence descended as the air in the room seemed to grow thick with the sudden release of undercurrents. Ashutosh finally forced himself to look away from her down-bent head and pearly white teeth biting her soft lower lip as she stared at the laptop screen and went to finish his dressing. Don't crowd her. Don't behave like a hormone-driven teenager. She hasn't given her answer yet. She doesn't trust you yet. He continued to chant the reasons as he went back to his bedroom where quickly tucked his shirt and picked up the belt. To no avail. His lips wanted to trace that small puckered frown and replace the teeth that were biting her lower lip with his own. His hands wanted to dig themselves into her hair and trace the contours under that soft cotton night shirt. He wanted to feel her pressed against him all over like that long ago day at his baba's house. He wanted to glue her to himself and never ever let her go. His heart thundered and his whole body shuddered at the images that thought invoked. Stop. You threw away the right to do anything. She might not be willing to risk her heart and her pride again. Stop torturing yourself. He pulled at the tie viciously almost choking himself. With a muttered curse, he set about loosening it.

"All set Ashuji."

Nidhi's voice reached him from the hall. He didn't want to go out. He didn't want to go out and see the regret on her face as she realized what she had called him. He didn't want to hear her reverting back to sir. But he forced his feet to move until he stood before her. She looked at him with a smile filled with relief. "It's done. I bookmarked the link in Sunil sir's computer. Do have this CD with you just in case and bring your laptop too just in case." He nodded without meeting her eyes. After a few moments of uncomfortable silence, she tentatively said, "Ashuji?"

That had him looking at her swiftly. His eyes held so much fear and hope that she had to blink and look away. She took a deep breath and wet her lips before facing him again. Ignoring the blush steeling her cheeks, she pointed to his collar gesturing that it was a little skewed. He continued to stare as if he were in a trance. The battle in his eyes had turned into an outright war. This man didn't need words. His eyes spoke for him. Why hadn't she realized it before? Maybe he had been right. She had been too young and immature to deal with the kind of love that had hit both of them with the force of a speeding truck. With tentative but measured steps, she went to him, rose on her toes and adjusted the collar. His neatly trimmed beard tickled the back of her hands as he clenched and unclenched his fists.

"Nidhi.." his voice was guttural. Her wide eyes met his fierce ones. "I-I want to hug you."

Nidhi melted. Her palms slid down from his collar and slowly went around his waist. She took one more step that eliminated the distance between them completely and rested her head on his pounding heart. His entire body froze as his head fell back in delirious ecstasy. In the next moment, Nidhi felt his arms go around her like bands of steel, lifting her and hugging her so tight that her feet barely touched the ground. He placed her back on the ground and with a rough growl, started running his hands all over her back. He pulled her away, cupped her cheeks, and dug his fingers into her hair as he rained down rough kisses all over her face, cheeks, forehead, chin, eyes and lips. Nidhi did nothing but revel under the exuberated onslaught. Sanity hit him like lightening and he jerked away.

"Nidhi..does this mean..?" With bright glowing eyes and lips that had turned red with his kisses; she tried to smile and nod. He closed his eyes and staggered in relief before catching her hand and pulling her back into his arms for another one of his smothering hugs. She could barely breathe but she didn't complain. For the first time ever, she realized the restraints he had placed on himself when they had been together before. Whether it had been fear or uncertainty she didn't know but the barriers have crashed now.

"You won't go off again?" She shook her head from its place near his neck. "You won't leave me again?" She shook her head again. "If-if I tell you to go?"

She pulled back a little and looked into his eyes. Into his need for reassurance. "I'll get some superglue and stick myself to you." Then her own uncertainty peeked out as she asked, "But..you won't..will you? You..you trust me, don't you?"

He cupped her face and kissed her lips hard until they stung. "No matter what life throws at us, I will be right beside you. I trust you more than I trust myself. But Nidhi..our future..it's not going to be easy. It's not going to be smooth."

"I don't want easy and smooth if it doesn't have you in it."

Both their phones ringing loudly and simultaneously sprang them apart. With another lingering look at each other, they went to answer their calls. Nidhi looked at the caller id and smiled. "Yes Rohan?"

"Problem solved? Were you able to upload?"

"Yup. I bookmarked the link here."

"Cool. Good work. See, what would you doctors do without a computer geek like me huh?"

"Yeah yeah..forever indebted Mr Rohan Malhotra."

"So, you're still there? I mean in his room?"

"Hmmm."

"Alone?" came the next wicked question.

"Rohan!"

His roaring laugh reached her ears. "Enjoy! Enjoy Dr Nidhi Verma! Enjoy! Bye."

"Bye. Oh keep in touch. OK? Happy journey."

"Sure. Thanks."

She looked up to see Ashutosh also quickly ending the call. He stuffed the phone in his pocket before saying, "That was Sunil."

Nidhi looked at the clock and yelped. "I need to run or my dean will go off without me. He is a stickler for time." She ran to the door before turning and running back to him once again to give a smacking kiss on his cheek and fleeing the scene before he could catch her.

Mallika, still in her surgical scrubs entered one of the private rooms. "I was paged?"

The staff nurse gave her a worried glance and stepped away from the moaning patient. "Ma'am, she says she is not able to move her neck. She has been screaming in pain."

Mallika bent to examine the patient. Armaan had referred the patient to her. The lady had slipped and fallen in the bathroom. She had sustained a wrist fracture due to that but luckily the baby inside had been safe. She had performed the C-section just the previous evening with the plaster to the wrist still in place. The patient screamed when Mallika touched a particular spot.

"Call the neurologist please," Mallika told the nurse as she loaded a pain killer. She gave a reassuring smile to the patient. "Don't worry. You'll be fine in no time. Just try to relax."

"But I can't move my neck," wailed the patient. "I want to see and feed my baby."

"You called me ma'am?" Nidhi entered the room followed by the resident anaesthetist, Dr Kiran.

Mallika grit her teeth. They couldn't find another neurologist in this whole damn hospital? "When did you get back from Delhi?"

"Last night. What is the problem?" Nidhi gestured towards the patient.

Mallika explained the case. Nidhi smiled at the patient before bending down to examine the neck. Her fingers touched the same spot and the patient screamed again. "C section by spinal?"

"Yes." Mallika answered.

Nidhi looked at the patient. "Did you try to move last night?"

The patient nodded. "Everything seemed OK and I didn't want the catheter anymore."

Nidhi nodded and stepped back. "It was too soon."

Mallika caught on. "Spinal fluid?"

Nidhi nodded. "She probably had spondylitis before. A pain killer now and a collar later on should do it Dr Mallika. Nothing to worry."

Mallika nodded and injected the painkiller. Three of them came out of the room and Dr Kiran asked, "How did you know?" Nidhi opened her mouth to explain but she never got the chance. "Guess work? It's not as if you would be taken to task if you give out a wrong diagnosis, is it?"

Nidhi frowned. "What do you mean by that?"

Mallika bit back a small smile and moved a little further away to better watch the show. Dr Kiran shrugged nonchalantly. "Just that you really are playing your cards well. The job here is temporary..hell even your results are pending. What better way to get a professional standing than hitting on the boss man? Oh don't give me that look Dr Nidhi Verma. Everyone from ward boys to senior doctors knows about you. What happened before and what's happening now again."

"Just what do you think is happening now Dr Kiran?" Nidhi's calm unperturbed question seemed to unsettle the lady. She had been prepared to hear fervent denials with lots of stuttering involved.

Ashutosh walked out of the ICU, his entire body radiating tension. The patient who had seemed to be well on the road of recovery took a bad turn and was now in a coma.

"Good morning sir." Ranganath ran and caught up with him.

"Ranganath, send Madhusudan and Nidhi to my cabin please. And the contrast MRI reports of this patient.

"Yes sir. Will do. Uh..how was your trip sir?"

Despite the tense situation, the question brought a small smile on his face. "It was..good. Very good indeed."

"Can I expect a call from AIMC soon sir?"

"Uh..what?"

Ranganath couldn't hold back the smile. His fingers were itching to text Armaan already. "Uh..you presented the case to the council yesterday morning sir. Along with Dr Sunil's team."

"Uh.." Ashutosh coughed and cleared his throat. "Yes. Meeting was good. It went very well actually."

"So.." Ranganath dragged the word and waited. His dean seemed to be unusually slow on the uptake that day. Anji had hinted at it but he didn't think things had moved at warp speed. He idly thought what song would Armaan sir sing at this news and grinned.

"So what Ranganath?"

"Umm..can I expect a call from AIMC sir?"

Before Ashutosh could reply, his attention was drawn to the small crowd gathered in the corridor that led to the private rooms. His brisk strides came to a halt. His frown deepened as he made his way and saw Mallika among them.

"Mallika, what's going on?"

Mallika smiled and shrugged as she pointed towards Nidhi and Kiran. "A glimpse into your future Dr Ashutosh Mathur if you go down the path that you've taken up once again. You're a dean. And a man on top of that. No one would dare say anything to you. But she.." Her finger pointed Nidhi. "She will be the one facing the brunt. The snide looks and satire comments. She is a great doctor. I can see that for myself. But what's the use? People would only ever see her as your..," she waved her hand clearing implying the five letter word. "A woman with a penchant for older men."

Helplessness and pain wash over his face as he took an involuntary step back.

Dr Kiran looked at the calm, unperturbed eyes of Dr Nidhi Verma and blinked again. Was there a chance that the gossip had been wrong? Was she not the least bit bothered about the fact that she had just called her the dean's plaything?

"Dr Kiran, the last I checked, I was over 21. As long as it doesn't affect my work, what I do with my personal life is none of your business. I hope I have made myself clear? Good day." With that final word and a nod, Nidhi turned and walked off towards the bank of lifts at the end of the corridor.

The rest of the crowd dispersed rapidly and the few who noticed the dean's presence actually blanched and scurried away. Ranganath sighed and shook his head. Now what? KGH like any other large institution lived and thrived on gossip. The revival of the dean-intern love story was making great headway among the circles. Nevertheless, this was the first time the boss man got the wind of it and there was no saying how he would react. And who would bear the brunt of the fallout that was sure to come.

"Uh..I'll send the MRI reports along with your team sir." Ranganath gave an awkward smile to the still-as-statue Ashutosh and left. But as soon as he was out of sight, he took out his phone to send a message.

"Trouble in paradise."

The reply was immediate. "So soon? M again?"

"Yes and no. M and KGH grapevine."

"No doubt she had the fuel handy to pour into the fire. I'll see what I can do."

"Hopefully before the fire turns into an inferno."

Mallika waited until they were alone before saying, "Ashutosh, it's not too late. Please. Think about what you're doing. Neither of you is going to be happy in the long run. Presuming there is a long run. You told her to leave and she left without a backward glance. That should tell you something. She has the staying power of a gnat and you'll end up getting hurt once again. If you stop this now, she has a chance to settle down with someone closer to her age. Don't leave the decision until her reputation is in tatters Ashutosh. Think Goddammit!"

Ashutosh didn't say a word. Just turned and walked off in the other direction. But Mallika didn't get worried this time. She knew she had hit squarely on his raw nerve. Now it would just be a matter of time.

Suvika. thumbnail

Chapter Twelve

Ashutosh functioned on autopilot for the next one hour. The doctor in him wouldn't give him a choice. He held the meeting with his team in his cabin, discussed the case and line of treatment before sending them on their way with clear-cut instructions. Nidhi gave him concerned looks as she left the cabin. Her eyes questioning him if everything was alright. He tried to smile and nod but he knew she hadn't been fooled by it. How she could appear normal after that scene downstairs was beyond him. Was she really that hardened? The tough exterior that he had often seen before..was that now an integral part of her?

If you stop this now, she has a chance to settle down with someone closer to her age. Don't leave the decision until her reputation is in tatters Ashutosh.

Mallika's words played over in his head again. He sank back into his chair and closed his eyes. A brisk knock later, the door opened. But he didn't open his eyes. He knew who it could be. One of the meddling duo. Honestly, were they getting any work done in KGH or having him under 24*7 surveillance their full time job now?

"You look lost in thought. Care to share?" Armaan's voice was neutral.

"Why bother when you already know?"

Armaan sighed. "Ashutosh.."

Ashutosh opened his eyes. "How long has this been going on? And please don't try to sugar coat it for my sake."

Armaan shrugged. "It had been there when she did her internship here. And then now..ever since you got back from your Europe trip."

"Am I being selfish in wanting her back Armaan? Am I making a mistake once again? I never wanted any of this for her yaar. She doesn't deserve it."

"But she chose it for herself Ashu. Stop treating like a child."

He banged his fist on the table. "I'm not treating her like a child." His reply was swift and furious. "I just want to protect her. Is that so wrong?"

"It is not wrong but this is not the way to go about it. She has been fighting alone all this time buddy. You were just there to see it for yourself today. She is a strong woman and this battle has made her stronger. These darts and sling shots don't even touch her. They don't even matter to her is what I think."

"How can they not matter? These are all supposed to be her colleagues and friends. And they are standing there and judging her just because she had the misfortune to fall in love with an older guy."

"Misfortune?" Armaan shook his head despairingly. "This falling in love..doyou consider it your misfortune?"

"No." His reply was swift, fierce and sure. No hesitation. No doubt.

"Then how is it different for her?" Armaan leaned forward and said in an earnest voice, "Mere bhai, this battle has been going on in her life for a very long time now. If you can't and don't want to fight along with her..if you are not strong enough or brave enough, at least try to let her know that you support her. That she is not alone."

"And what would this fighting achieve in the end Armaan, care to explain?"

Mallika's question made Armaan scowl and swear inwardly. This lady! The last he checked, the birth rate in India was 29 babies per minute. Why don't some of them come to KGH? It sure would make her too busy to butt into anyone's business. "People would soon get bored and leave them alone Mallika. Go for something more interesting. These two would become old news soon enough."

"They haven't become old news so far." Mallika moved her fingers in a quoting gesture.

Armaan finally lost it and snapped. "Then it would be worth the fight because my friend would have a happy life. A family of his own. Love, peace, passion, contentment. He would have it all. With her."

"Provided she stays long enough to give him that. Ashutosh is my friend too. I love him. He knows that I love him. And despite his refusal to accept, I've stayed with him." Mallika rounded on Armaan. "And what did she do Armaan? She waltzed in, waltzed out and now has waltzed in again. The next time something happens to part them, she would waltz out again."

Neither noticed Ashutosh picking up the phone until they heard his deep baritone voice saying, "Ranganath, I want you to arrange a full staff meeting in the conference room in 20 minutes. With the exception of the staff and doctors in the OT, I want every single member there. No exceptions and no excuses. 20 minutes." He replaced the phone and looked at his friends. "See you both in the conference room."

That effectively dismissed both of them who left the cabin after glowering at each other one last time. And sure enough, 20 minutes later when he walked into the conference room, it was packed with the KGH staff, their faces etched with varying degrees of curiosity. The senior doctors including Armaan, Mallika and Kiran were in the front row while Nidhi occupied one of the seats at the back along with other junior doctors, her face wary. Why did she have the feeling that this was not a strictly official call?

Ashutosh took in the whole assembly before nodding. "Good morning. Something has come to my notice this morning." His gaze snared and held Dr Kiran. She flushed and looked away. Ashutosh continued. "I do realize that gossip is a part and parcel of KGH. Curiosity is a basic human nature and I don't begrudge anyone of that. But.." He glance encompassed the whole room before he continued, "As doctors and members firmly connected to the field of healing medicine, I do expect you all to have and maintain a certain amount of dignity while you debate the personal lives of other doctors and staff members. The corridors of KGH where patients and their family walk around are definitely not the place to do that. As long as the person is doing his or her duty and is not endangering the patient's life, what happens in his or her life is basically none of your business. And you should learn to respect that boundary." His gaze fell on Nidhi and her wide stunned eyes had a strange calming effect on him. He adjusted his eyeglasses and exhaled. "And if any of you want to say something to me or about me and my personal life, I suggest you do that to my face. You're likely to get straight answers that way. I neither need a translator nor a mediator for that. And the next time you have something to say, I hope you all remember that and take up my offer. Thank you and good day."

The room seemed to deflate at the collective release of breath from everyone as Ashutosh with a final polite nod, turned and walked out. Ranganath's face split into a wide grin as he instructed all the exit doors to be opened. Armaan got up, stretched and couldn't resist humming, "Pyaar kiya toh darna kya jab pyaar kiya toh darna kya..pyaar kiya koi chori nahi ki..chup chup aahen bharna kya.."

Ranganath laughed outright. He had been waiting for the song of the day and sure enough Armaan sir hadn't disappointed him. Mallika's stunned eyes turned to Armaan. "What the hell has gotten into Ashutosh Armaan? This is not the Ashutosh I knew!"

Armaan smiled as he donned his white coat. "He is the same guy Mallika. His love is his weakness and also his strength. You're seeing that strength now. Don't underestimate it again."

Nidhi's feet barely touched the ground the rest of the day. Good thing that the OPD was light because her concentration levels had been shot. All she wanted to do was jump and dance around. And she couldn't just wipe the silly goofy grin off her face no matter how hard she tried. By lunch time she was ready to explode. Only the thought and determination of not embarrassing him further kept her away from his cabin otherwise she would've broken all protocol and barged in to kiss him senseless. With a quick look around she stepped into the empty common room, pulled out her phone and opened her picture album. She scrolled down until she reached his image and kissed the screen. The snap was an old one taken more than two years ago during one of their visits to the orphanage. Her phone changed after that but she had kept the picture safely. After another loving look, another kiss and a tight hug to the phone, she started to close it. But her glance fell on the date display. Her brain short circuited as the implication hit her. It was the day her results would be out. Her PG results. She had to get to her laptop. Nidhi quickly checked the time. They would come online any time now. Or maybe they already did. Her first instinct was to go to her Ashuji but she stopped herself. No. She couldn't..wouldn't tell him until she herself knew the result first. What if she plunked? Oh God! No! She can't think like that! She had done it well. She was confident. But she wanted her Ashuji to be proud of her. She would tell him. Of course she would tell him. But she had to know it herself first.

With that thought in mind, she quickly went to his cabin and knocked.

"Come in."

"Ash..sir?" Ashutosh looked up and this time both of them smiled at the slip.

"Yes Nidhi?"

"I need a half day off. Today."

That wiped the smile off his face. "Why? Is everything OK?"

She smiled and hoped it covered her nervousness. It didn't. "Yes sir. I just..need to do something."

Ashutosh's frown deepened. "OK sure but.."

Nidhi didn't give him a chance to say more. "Thank you sir. I-uh-I'll call you. OK? I'll call you." And turned tail and almost ran out of the cabin leaving him bewildered and bemused. Looked like his Nidhi was back in full form tying him up in knots once again.

Nidhi bit her lip in an effort to chomp down her excitement. It was almost seven in the evening. Should she call him or message him? What if he was in a surgery or handling some emergency? Better to message. But message was so impersonal. OK. She would try calling once. If he doesn't pick up, she would leave a message. Yeah. She would do that. She took a deep breath and swiped the screen to connect the call. The phone rang. Once. Twice. Thrice. Disappointed, she was about to disconnect when it was answered.

"Hello Nidhi?"

"Ji."

"Where are you?"

"At my apartment."

"What happened? You left so suddenly..said you would call..?"

"Igotmyresult Iclearedmy examsbatch topper." She ran the words together in her excitement.

"Wh-WHAT? Hang on. Just give me two minutes OK?"

He didn't wait for an answer. Just disconnected leaving her stunned and.. disappointed. She had obviously caught him at a wrong time but..he could've at least said congratulations na. She pouted. Nidhi plopped back into the small two-seater sofa and sulked some more. Her phone rang. She quickly looked at the caller id and sighed before picking up. "Kya hain Anji?"

"Congratulations! Just saw your message. Awesome yaar!"

"Thanks."

"Arre what happened? You're not excited?"

"He didn't even say congrats."

A heartbeat of silence later, "Nidhi.." Anji bit her lip. Nidhi had plunged into deep waters again and she couldn't help but worry. "Achcha chal chod..when is the party?"

Nidhi smiled a little. "Whenever you want. You decide."

"Tomorrow?"

"OK. Tomorrow dinner. Tell Ranganath also. Hey listen, my intercom is ringing I'll catch up later OK?"

"OK bye."

Nidhi went and picked up the phone. "Yes?"

"Madam, aapse milne koi Ashutosh sir aaye hain."

http://www.saavn.com/s/song/hindi/Zakhm/Gali-Mein-Aaj-Chaand-Nikhla/MkUZRAJRR0k

"Huh?"

"Aapse milne.." The security guy started repeating.

"Bhejdo bhejdo. Unhe andar bhejdo."

"OK Ma'am."

Nidhi jumped up and looked around the room before clasping her palms over her cheeks. He is here! He is here! He is on his way up! Oh God! She hugged herself and twirled around in the room before hastily adjusting the pillows on the sofa. She ran to the mirror and brushed her hair. Oh God! She was in her t-shirt and tracks. Should she change? No time. He is already here. She hugged herself and rubbed her arms to diffuse the goosebumps raising all over her. She took a deep breath and opened the door just as his hand raised to ring the bell.

Tum aaye to aaya mujhe yaad, gali mein aa chaand nikla
Jaane kitne dinon ke baad gali mein aa chaand nikla 
Gali mein aa chaand nikla

Her spellbound eyes locked with his bright ones. She blinked. And blinked again suddenly overwhelmed with the emotions bombarding her from all directions. How many days and nights had she dreamt of something like this happening? That he would one day come to her and tell her that he couldn't live without her. That he wanted her back and would never let her go. Some nights the dreams had been so vivid that she had gotten up to check her peephole in case he was there on the other side. And now here he was! Standing at her threshold. Her eyes filled up despite her repeated swallowing and she staggered back trying to balance her roiling emotions.

Yeh naina bin kaajal tarse
Baara mahine baadal barse
Suni rab ne meri fariyaad
Suni rab ne meri fariyaad, gali mein aa chaand nikla
Tum aaye to aaya mujhe yaad, gali mein aa chaand nikla

He didn't say a word. Just stood there and took in the expressions chasing across her face. The light in his eyes dimmed as comprehension dawned on his face. Still silent, he crossed the threshold and closed the door softly behind him and opened his arms. With a small inarticulate cry, she threw herself into them and hugged him tight. Her silent tears wet his steel grey shirt. He felt the wetness and pulled her back until he could look into her swimming eyes. He shook his head but she could see his own eyes were glazed. He closed them before cupping her cheeks and kissing her forehead.

"Congratulations Dr Nidhi Verma! I'm so, so proud of you. Damn proud."

His voice was hoarse and trembled towards the end. She smiled, giggled a little, laughed, cried, and smiled again before catapulting back into his waiting arms.

Aaj ki raat jo main so jaati
Khulti aankh subah ho jaati
Main to ho jaati bas barbaad
Main to ho jaati bas barbaad, gali mein aa chaand nikla

After a few moments, Nidhi took a deep breath and brought herself under control a little. Stepping out of his arms, she caught his hand and pulled him completely into the room.

"H-have a seat. Uh..I-I didn't know you were going to come." Her lips trembled but she sternly controlled it. He smiled that special smile of his. Lopsided and intimate. Just for her. He never smiled that way to anyone else. It was for her and her alone. She grinned knowing well that she probably was staring at him like an idiot.

"I was driving when you called." He exhaled and tried to appear casual. Like all this was not affecting him, turning him in a mass of blistering emotions. "So..batch topper..no sweets? No celebration?"

Nidhi blinked, biting her lower lip in consternation. "I didn't think. I mean I wasn't expecting..there is nothing.."

"Hey, that's OK. Relax. Meete ke taur pe shakkar bhi chalega. Woh toh hoga na?"

Nidhi giggled. "Haan. Hain. Mein..lati hoon. Abhi laati hoon. Aap..aap baitiye na. Just..I..have a seat."

She almost ran into her small kitchen and searched for a bowl. Taking the sugar container, she added a few spoons into it before giving up on the task and leaning against the sink. With shaking hands, she opened the tap and splashed cold water on her face. But all she could think was..he was here. In her house. In the hall. She was not dreaming. And she cleared her exam. What she had set out to do as a benediction to what he meant to her..she had done it and he was there to celebrate her achievement. Firm hands caught hold of her shoulders and turned her around to face him. He took out his hanky and gently wiped her face.

"Buss Nidhi. Buss. Ab aur nahi. Buss." In the next instant his lips descended and met her wet ones. And she was lost. Her arms moved of their own accord and reached his shoulders, halted for a moment before moving up to grip the hair at the back of his head. His hands held a fine tremor as they ran over her back before landing on her neck. As his lips nibbled, bit and sucked hers, his hands hesitantly slid from her neck and gently landed on her breasts. Her breath hitched up and his shuddered out as she tore her lips away and arched her neck up in dazed delight. His slightly rough, slightly soft beard tickled her cheeks and chin as his lips made their foray towards her neck. He gently bit the spot where her neck met her shoulder and licked away the small bite. She moaned as her fingers pulled his hair and dragged him back to meet her lips once again. One of his hands wrapped itself around her waist as the fingers of his other hands touched and felt the plump treasure that it found.

"Ashu..tosh.."

Her slightly disoriented moan of his name elicited a rough groan from him. He pulled her into his arms and hugged her tightly. "Say it again. Say my name again."

"Ashutosh," she whispered.

"Again," he growled.

"Ashutosh."

"Nidhi! My Nidhi! Mine! Mine! Mine!"

His arms tightened until she could barely breathe as both of them fought to bring their raging bodies and emotions under control. After a few silent tense minutes, he gave her one last squeeze and reluctantly released her. She stepped back and adjusted her shirt. With a rueful smile, he removed his smeared up eyeglasses and wiped them on his shirt. Then with overwhelming tenderness, he pushed the tendrils of her hair that had fallen on her face and cheeks. Cupping her cheeks, he placed another whispery soft kiss on her lips and led her into the hall. Both of them settled down on the low level diwan cot. He sat with his back to the wall and pulled her until she lay over his lap with her head resting on his broad muscular chest and legs stretched out on the divan. Contentment wrapped around both of them as they revelled and relished the new level of closeness.

Maine tumko aate dekha
Apni jaan ko jaate dekha
Jaane phir kya hua nahin yaad
Jaane phir kya hua nahin yaad, gali mein aa chaand nikla
Gali mein aa chaand nikla - 2

Nidhi's fingers played with the buttons of his shirt. "Ashuji?"

Ashutosh didn't open his eyes. Merely rubbed his fingers through her scalp and rumbled a "Hmmm?"

"What happened this morning? That meeting and all that..so suddenly?"

"It would've happened sooner if you had told me what was going on." He sighed and shook his head before opening his eyes into slits. "Forget that. Did you give this news to your baba and dadibua?"

Nidhi nodded from the place on his chest. "They've gone to Haridwar. Expected to be back late tonight. But I left a message on baba's cell and I'll go and meet them in a day or two."

"So you do go? To your house I mean?"

"Yeah. Not very often but yeah. Usually over a weekend or holidays.."

"Baba never asked you to come back?"

She shrugged. "He wanted to know who.." She stopped and shook her head. "Leave all that. We'll discuss it later. You want to eat something? Shall I make some dinner? You didn't even have that sugar!" Her eyes twinkled at him.

He grinned and pulled her head up for another long deep kiss. "This Dr Nidhi Verma is sweeter than anything that I've ever tasted." He sighed and looked at his watch. "And as for dinner, I'm supposed to have it with Sunil. So.."

"You need to go?" She couldn't hide her crest-fallen expression.

He ran the back of his fingers over her soft cheek and his thumb touched the corner of her lip and stretched it until the smile was back on her face. "I'll see you again tomorrow. I mean not just in KGH but.." She pouted a little before accepting and smiling. Loathing every second of it, they reluctantly got up and faced each other. "Toh mein jau?"

She nodded but just as quickly shook her head. He smiled and pulled her into his arms. "Kal milte hain. OK?" He didn't tell her where they would meet.

Colonel Verma continued to hold on to the phone even after disconnecting it with a thoughtful look on his face. Nidhi cleared her exam. As a batch topper. Any father would be proud at such an accomplishment from his daughter. As was he. More than he could probably express in mere words. But..there had been something different about the way she had spoken to him just now. It was like he had been talking to his old Nidhi. With laughter in her voice and brightness in her tone. The very things that had been missing in the last two years. He could put it down to the results. But something..probably the instinct of a father told him that that was not the reason. And he needed to ask her. Now. Before his bua returned from Solanki's house where she had gone to give the prashaad. He would go to her apartment and..

His impatience notched up a few degrees at the sound of the doorbell. Since he was closer, he got up and opened the door instead of calling out to Chote Sarkar. And was taken aback at the man standing before him.

"Dr Ashutosh? Aap?"

Edited by Suvika. - 9 years ago
Suvika. thumbnail

Chapter Thirteen

Ashutosh joined his palms. "Namaste Colonel Verma."

CV blinked in confusion but soon his manners took over. He stepped back with a warm smile of welcome. "Hello. Please, come. Come. Have a seat Dr Ashutosh." He waited until Ashutosh took a seat before sitting across from him. Both men remained silent as neither knew how to start.

Finally Ashutosh adjusted his eyeglasses and smiled wryly. "You must be thinking why I'm here today out of the blue."

"Yes. Uh I mean..Nidhi.. She is fine, right? Is this about her?"

"Yeah, yeah. She is absolutely fine." Ashutosh took a deep breath. "And yes, this is about her. And..me."

CV frowned. "I..don't understand."

"Col. Verma, I'm in love with your daughter. And she loves me too."

Silence. Complete and absolute silence reigned in the room. CV's thoughts raced as he saw everything that happened in the last three years in a new light. Nidhi's joy while she was in KGH during her internship, her abrupt resignation which he had felt at that time had been forced upon her, her tears, her pain, her refusal to marry Rohan or name the guy in her heart, her tense face when he had met her a couple of weeks back and finally her sparkling voice this morning. He got up and walked towards the window. He knew..he had suspected it had to be something like this. His daughter was in love with a man fifteen years older than her.

"You. It was you!"

Ashutosh also got up and turned towards CV. "Yes."

"I want to know everything Dr Ashutosh."

Ashutosh nodded and told him. Everything. From their first meeting till the night he had dropped Nidhi at her apartment and she had told him about living away from her family. Finally sighed and said, "I never wanted Nidhi to go through any of that sir. I never wanted to deprive Nidhi of her family. I know what it is like to not have one."

"Nevertheless, that is what my daughter did. She isolated herself from us all and what more; she refused to tell the name of the person she loved." CV turned and looked at Ashutosh squarely in the eye. "I didn't understand at first. But later on I began to suspect. She refused to give the name because the person she loved had already broken her heart."

Ashutosh flinched but nodded. "Yes sir."

"Yet, she followed your footsteps. Chose the same speciality and now is going to get a gold medal."

Unmistakeable pride and undeniable pain blended in Ashutosh's eyes. "Yes."

Both the emotions touched a chord in the older man. "So what do you want from me now? Why are you here?"

"I want Nidhi to have her family back."

Something in CV's eyes eased at that but he persisted. "And you? I presume you want her back too."

"Yes."

"What changed now Dr Ashutosh? You are still 15 years older than her."

"I tried living without her sir." Ashutosh shook his head. "I couldn't do it. I can't do it anymore."

"And the society? Its snide derogatory comments?"

"I would face anything and everything if I had her beside me. And I would try my level best to protect her from them."

"And if you changed your mind again? You got scared before, didn't you? What's to say it won't happen again? That you won't get cold feet again?"

A sad smile flinted across his face but he refused to look away from CV. "Then I might as well stop living sir. I can't comprehend my life..my today or my tomorrow without her."

"You want to marry her."

Ashutosh swallowed and nodded once. "Yes Col Verma. I want to marry your daughter."

"Did you ask her?"

"No sir. I wanted to..I had to talk to you first."

CV's face relaxed enough to let a small smile filter through. "And when do you plan to ask her? I don't imagine she would say no but.."

Ashutosh stumbled at that. "J-Ji?"

CV sighed and gestured Ashutosh to take the seat. Both men once again resumed their places. Ashutosh could see the tiredness etched on the older man's face. "Dr Ashutosh..I want my Nidhi back. I..miss her. I'm not entirely comfortable with her marrying a man 15 years older to her. But the last almost three years have shown me a few things. One, Nidhi is sure of her feelings and is not going to change her mind no matter what I say or do. She could've come to me and told me all this. I would've understood." He shook his head. "But she didn't do that. She probably thought I would push her to move on which she was not ready to do."

"I know. I should've come to you.."

CV continued as if Ashutosh hadn't spoken. "Two, I have brought up my daughter to be a confident woman able to take independent decisions of her own. Now, if she has taken this decision, I have to learn to respect it. You and I both know that she is strong enough to face the consequences whatever they might be. She has proved it to us in the last couple of years. Three, I like the way you came here today." His thoughts went back to his own past. "Reminds me of myself when I stood almost in the same way and faced my wife's father."

To say that Ashutosh was floored was putting it mildly. "Sir, I.."

CV halted him by raising his hand. "But my bua. It's not going to be easy convincing her. It will take time and there is no guarantee that she would one day accept your relationship."

"I understand."

"Let's see. I'll talk to her once she gets back home. Want to have some tea Ashutosh?" Ashutosh nodded. "CS! CS! Dr Ashutosh aur mereliye do cup chai."

CS came out of the kitchen wiping his hands and with a broad grin on his face. "Ji abhi laya. Dactar saab, aapkeliye adrak chai lau?  Humaari Nidhi bibiji ko bahut pasand hain." Ashutosh smiled and nodded. CS went back doing a jaunty two-step that made both men laugh a little.

Ashutosh adjusted his glasses and said, "Sir, there is something else I want to talk about."

"Sure. Go ahead."

Nidhi closed the file and looked at the assembled interns. "Today we have a case of muscular dystrophy. What do you know about it?"

One girl raised her hand. "It is a group of muscle diseases that weaken the musculoskeletal system and hamper locomotion."

Nidhi nodded. "It is characterized by progressive skeletal muscle weakness, defects in muscle proteins and the death of muscle cells and tissue."

Another boy raised his hand. "It is genetic, right Dr Nidhi?"

Again Nidhi nodded. "Sadly, yes. While I was an intern we had a case in KGH." Her eyes darkened with remembered pain and helplessness. Of the doctors. Of her Ashuji. "The boy was all of 19-20 years old. He got worse and worse until he was brain dead." She looked at the assembled interns. "And you know what the mother did?" They shook their heads. "She donated her son's two kidneys, two eyes and his heart. Heart had to be transplanted within 40 minutes. Whole of Lucknow traffic was held to a standstill while the team raced again the time so that the heart could reach the other hospital where the transplant was to take place. The surgery was a huge success. That was probably the only time Dr Ashutosh touched the feet of someone in his professional career. The mother blessed him and said, Dr Ashutosh, my son is now alive in five people."

Eyes misted for everyone assembled over there. Even the two male interns looked away and swallowed. Nidhi shook her head. "The strength of a woman! A mother."

"Dr Nidhi? We heard you got your result and that you topped your batch? Uh, Dr Ranganath was mentioning." Nidhi nodded and got her smile back.

"Congratulations Dr Nidhi."

Nidhi shook the hands of all the five interns. "Thank you. Thank you so much."

"This is great news Dr Nidhi. We want a party." One girl inserted still a little hesitant but encouraged by the naturally friendly smile and relaxed demeanour of Nidhi.

"Sure. Lunch is on me today."

"Yuppie!" they chorused.

"If you all are done gossiping, can we go to the rounds and see a few patients?" Ashutosh's deep baritone gave everyone a guilty start. Nidhi bit her tongue but held her silence while the interns scrambled to fetch their notebooks and pens. His impassive gaze passed from one intern to another as he asked, "Can you name one neurological disorder that is passed on genetically?"

All five chorused, "Muscular dystrophy," and exchanged sheepish looks.

His eyebrow rose as he met Nidhi's twinkling eyes. "Leaking the cases I see. Come on, let's start the rounds."

"Should I come along sir?" Nidhi asked.

"Are you an intern Dr Nidhi Verma?"

The interns snickered and elbowed each other. Ashutosh left with the team without a backward glance but Nidhi couldn't resist making a face at his back before turning and walking towards the OPD. A naughty thought struck her and she quickly pulled out her phone.

Armaan entered Ashutosh's cabin. He didn't bother knocking since the door was wide open. Ranganath, Mallika and Nidhi were already there along with Ashutosh. Armaan frowned. "I was called?"

Ashutosh nodded and gestured him to sit. "Not official Armaan. Sit."

"You two are getting married?" Armaan's eyes lit up.

Ashutosh glowered and Nidhi coughed to cover her embarrassment. "Shut up Armaan."

"It was not funny Armaan!" Mallika glared, fuming.

"Arre what did I say? You said it's not official so I assumed.."

Ranganath cleared his throat. "Sir, the AIMC sanctioned the grant. I just got the email."

"Woohoo! Awesome!" Armaan clapped and everyone grinned and agreed.

Ashutosh took up from there. "So, I was thinking..why not have a get together? Just us. At my house. Tonight dinner?"

"Great idea Ashutosh." Mallika looked delighted.

Armaan shrugged. "Sure. But my younger one is down with mild fever so I'll be coming alone."

Ashutosh frowned. "That OK? We can have it another day if.." Armaan waved it away. Ashutosh looked at Ranganath. "You and Anji are also invited Ranganath."

Ranganath smiled and nodded. "Sure sir. Thank you."

Ashutosh got up. The rest followed suit. "So, see you all at around..6.30- 7?"

They nodded and left. All except Nidhi, who hovered at the door biting her lip. "Am..Am I invited too?"

Ashutosh shook his head. "No." He paused at her crestfallen expression before continuing mildly, "You don't need an invitation to walk into your own house Nidhi."

And just like that her entire face buoyed up. She took a step closer as if wanting to leap into his arms, stopped herself, nodded, blinked the mist away from her eyes and nodded again. Ashutosh stuffed his hands in his trouser pockets in an effort to stop them from misbehaving. But he could do nothing about his eyes that seared her with their passion. "We'll go together?"

"Yes..uh no. I need to go to my apartment and change." She gestured to her work clothes and made a face. "I'll come on my own."

"You sure? I can.."

"No. You go home and relax. I'll come."

He grinned and nodded. With a small wave she floated away.

HK opened the door and a broad grin split his face. "Arre Nidhi beti! Aao, aao. Andar aao. Kaisi ho?"

Nidhi smiled and after a loving glance at the threshold, she stepped inside. And looked around. Nothing had changed. "Kaise hain kaka?"

"Mein toh teek hoon beta. Tum batao, tum kaisi ho?"

"Mein teek hoon. Uh..umm..Dr Ashutosh?"

"Woh aaya aur phirse kahi chalagaya. Tum baito. Aata hi hoga. Bhaagta hua gaya tha."

Nidhi frowned. "KGH?"

HK shook his head. "Nahi. Sirf itna kaha ki baahar jaraha hoon. Aadhe ghante mein waapas aajaunga."

Nidhi nodded. "Mein kuch madad karu kitchen mein aapki?"

HK smiled. "Abhi nahi. Thodi der baito, jab madad chahiye toh bulalunga."

"Pakka?"

HK laughed. "Haan, pakka."

Nidhi grinned and went to explore the house. She had been right. Nothing much had changed. She went into the study. Her fingers lovingly ran over the writing desk, his books, chair and the photographs hanging on the wall. Ashutosh and his baba. She traced the laughter on his lips with the tip of his finger. And her eyes fell on the dark grey shirt thrown over the back of the chair.

You don't need an invitation to walk into your own house Nidhi.

She hugged the shirt and those words to her heart. My house! He said this is my house now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9mM1lX8UCc

She hugged the shirt tighter and twirled around the room before holding it in front of her like it was a person..her Ashutosh and started waltzing.

Ghunji Si Hai Sari Fiza Jaise Bajti Ho Shehnaiyaan
Leherati Hai Mehki Hawa Gungunati Hain Tanhaiyaan
Sab Gaate Hain Sab Hi Madhosh Hain
Hum Tum Kyun Khamosh Hain
Saaz - E- Dil Chedo Na
Chup Ho Kyun Gaavon Na

With a quick look around to make sure no one was watching, she wore his shirt over her sari. Without buttoning it up, she hugged it to her once again and continued her dance.

Aao Na.. Ao Na... Aao Na... Aao Na...

Ashutosh walked into the house in his rust coloured t-shirt and tan trousers wondering why the main door had been left wide open. Before he could call out to HK, HK came out of the kitchen and gestured him to go to his study; his eyes giving away the identity of the person in the study. Ashutosh's entire face lit up as his quick strides took him in that direction. The scene that met him stopped him dead in his tracks. Nidhi..his Nidhi draped in a beautiful rose wine silk sari with thin silver border. But the upper half of her was covered with his shirt. The shirt that was almost touching the top of her knees. He made sure she couldn't spot him and watched her joy spill out in her dance.

Tan Man Mein Kyun Aise Behti Huyi
Thandi Si Ik Aag Hai
Saason Mein Hai Kaisi Yeh Ragini
Dhadkan Mein Kya Raag Hai
Yeh Hua Kya Humein Hum Ko Samjhaoo Na..
Sab gate hain, sab hee madhosh hain

Ham tum kyun khamosh hain 
Dil me jo baate hai hoton pe lao na
Aao na, aao na, aao na, aao na

After drinking in her radiance and rapture for a few more moments, he took out his phone and clicked the call button for her number. A moment later he heard the music as the call got connected. But he must have made some noise or she sensed his presence like she usually did. She stopped her dance, saw him and leapt towards her handbag. Next second the music stopped. Her cheeks turned pink and then red as she hastily started to remove his shirt. Ashutosh walked into the room, perched against his writing desk, caught hold of her hand and gently pulled her into his arms, shirt and all. She bit her tongue in apparent embarrassment and with a giggle, hid her face in his chest.

He tipped her head up with his fist under her chin. His fingers threaded through her hair, cupping the back of her head in a secure grip. Then his mouth found hers. At first the kiss was cool and gentle. But it changed in a quicksilver moment. His mouth became searingly hot, rubbing over hers until her lips were forced open. Seconds..or was it minutes ticked by until with a soft groan, he tore his lips away and lifted his head to look at her. There were flares in the depths of his eyes, like small, intense rush lights. Wordlessly, he tugged her hand from around his neck. Her dazed mind registered him placing something around her wrist. She blinked and looked down. It was a watch. A Rolex wrist watch.

"Congratulations once again Dr Nidhi Verma." 

Nidhi ran her fingers over the watch before looking back at his face. Into his eyes. Still simmering with unspent passion but strangely peaceful and relaxed too. "It's beautiful. Thank you. I'll treasure it. Always."

"You like?"

She shook her head. "I love." And dived back into his arms. He caught her with a muffled laugh and gave her a tight bear hug. "I need to go and help kaka."

"Like this?"

She shook her head and quickly removed his shirt and placed it back on the back of the chair. He stepped back. As she stepped sideways to go, he caught her hand in his. "Give me your phone."

Frowning, she picked up her phone and extended it towards him. "Why?" In response he silently extended his hand and she placed the phone in it. He took out his phone and pressed the call button once again. Comprehension dawned on her face and she leapt to snatch her phone away. Anticipating her move, he raised his hand over his head, out of her reach just as her phone started ringing with the song that she had inserted just that morning as a personal ringtone for his number.

Kabhi Neem Neem Kabhi Shahad Shahad
Kabhi Naram Naram Kabhi Sakht Sakht
Mora Piya..
Nazron Ke Teer Mai Basa Hai Pyar
Jab Bhi Chala Hai Wo Dil Ke Paar
Lajja Se Mare Re Ye Jiya

The look on his face as he heard the song! Equal measures of laughter and a promise of retribution. He threw both the phones in the general direction of the small sofa and made a move to catch her. Nidhi yelped and ran out of the room and directly into the kitchen with Ashutosh calling out to her from behind.

"Nidhi, ruko! Nidhi!"

Armaan cleared his throat loudly. "Uhmmm..am I interrupting?"

Ashutosh smiled and shook his head. "Nothing. Come in Armaan."

Armaan grinned as he handed over a casserole to Nidhi. "Put it in the kitchen Nidhi. Kavita has sent the dessert. Gajar ka halwa." Then in his usual style, started humming a song. "Nazron ke teer mein basa hain pyar jab bhi chala hain woh dil ke paar..Hmmm..re ye jiya.." Nidhi stumbled and blushed a deep red. Ashutosh took one look at her and roared with laughter. Armaan gave a bewildered look at both of them. "What? What did I say?"

Ashutosh chuckled some more and shook his head, his eyes following Nidhi's hasty retreat to the kitchen. "Nothing. Come.  Let's sit. How did the surgery go today?"

The next half an hour passed with Ashutosh and Armaan catching up while Nidhi helped HK in the kitchen but participating in the conversation in between. But the image of Nidhi wearing his shirt was something he would carry for a very long time to come.  

"Hi Ashutosh!" Mallika entered through the now open door, a casserole of her own in her hands.

Ashutosh got up. "Hey Mallika! Come, come."

Mallika extended the bowl. "Got something. Your favourite. Barwa baingan."

Ashutosh grinned and took the bowl. "Fantastic. Thank you. Have a seat." And he called out, "Nidhi! Put your debate with kaka about the second sabzi on hold. Mallika got us some."

Mallika's smile evaporated as if it had never been. "Nidhi is here too?"

Ashutosh frowned as if he found the question really weird. "Of course." And walked towards the kitchen.

Armaan turned another page of the newspaper as he imparted the juicy details. "She has been here for a very long time Mallika. It's high time you realized that. Uh..I mean..she came here long back and has been helping kaka in the kitchen. Come, have a seat. Oh there is Ranganath. Hi guys! Come on in."

Ranganath and Anji walked into the house. Anji, a little hesitant but Ranganath pulling her in with a loving arm around her shoulders and a bag with soft drink cans in the other. They exchanged another round of hellos with Mallika and Nidhi peeked out of the kitchen at the sound of her friend's voice. Anji's face lit up and she quickly excused herself and went to Nidhi. After a whispered exchange, Nidhi dragged Anji also into the kitchen. Ranganath and Armaan started discussing about the pros and cons of getting a new OT. Mallika added her own opinion before excusing herself and going into the kitchen.

"Nidhi, I think you need to add a little more salt yaar." Anji put the spoon aside after tasting a little.

"Kaka, namak." Nidhi took the salt container that HK handed over.

HK shook his head. "You girls have taken over my kitchen. I don't even have anything to do now. Ashu beta, what is this?"

Ashu's lopsided smile had never been far from his lips that evening. "Leave them kaka. It's high time you had a break. Just sit back and enjoy. Once this madam becomes busy in her profession, we won't get this chance that often anyway."

"Oh come on Ashutosh, even if she has time, pastas and pizzas are hardly your preferences." Mallika smirked.

Armaan and Ranganath also shifted their base and settled into the dining chairs so as to participate in the conversation. Armaan huffed out in exasperation but Ranganath saw that his boss's smile never once slipped. Nor did his eyes move away from Nidhi's face. It looked like Mallika's statement didn't even register.

Anji elbowed Nidhi. "Oye, all this is fine. But you promised me a treat."

"Yeah..so this is a treat na." Nidhi grinned.

"This is not your treat. This is.." She looked at Ashutosh and smiled for the first time without reservations. "This is Ashutosh sir's treat for that grant thing."

Ashutosh shook his head. "That was an excuse. Reason was I wanted to celebrate Nidhi's success. With all of you."

Mallika controlled her grimace and tried to smile. "Oh! Congratulations Nidhi. I heard about your result."

"Thank you Dr Mallika."

Anji persisted. "Still..it is not your treat."

Nidhi sighed. "Fine. OK. We'll go tomorrow night."

"To that new nightclub!" Anji pounced. "I heard it's awesome. Ranganath! You free right?"

"Of course. Sure."

Mallika laughed. "Ashutosh and clubbing? If I remember right, you guys have already tried it once. Remember Ashutosh?"

Ashutosh gave a brief nod, "Yeah!" and leaned over Nidhi to get a taste of the sabzi still simmering in the bowl. "Salt now is perfect ladies. Nidhi, what time are you guys going?"

"Hmmm..around 7 probably."

"Ashutosh..you can't seriously be thinking.." Mallika's face was aghast.

"OK. Once you're done, call me, I'll come and pick you up. That will save Ranganath a trip. Ranganath, whatsapp me the address later."

Nidhi and Ranganath nodded but Armaan couldn't resist egging his friend. "How magnanimous of you Dr Ashutosh Mathur! Saving Ranganath's time and fuel. Waise yeh achcha bahana hain. Where are you guys planning to go from there? Long drive?"

Ashutosh pretended to think. "Not a bad idea Armaan. Thank you." Everyone except Mallika laughed at that comeback. The doorbell rang once again. "That must be the home delivery guy." At Nidhi's questioning look, he smiled that special smile. "I ordered some Chinese for you," and left to answer the door and take the delivery.

Mallika came to sit beside Armaan and growled in a low tone. "What the hell is wrong with this guy? Can't he see that they are not suited for each other? I mean.."

Armaan sighed and patiently answered in the same low tone. "Can't you see that it doesn't matter to him anymore? Look at them Mallika. Tell me honestly, what do you see?"

"I see an older man running after a young girl."

"I see a man and a woman in love. Where is it written that their tastes have to match in every aspect? That would make their life downright boring if you ask me. Both of them know that they are different. And they are OK with it. You need to stop trying to push your thoughts onto him."

"I can't do that. I can't sit back and allow him to make the biggest mistake of his life."

Armaan shook his head. "You would just be wasting your breath Mallika for the simple reason that he has stopped listening to you."

"Just like that?" Her tone was a mixture of hurt, confusion, anger and perplexity.

Ashutosh clapped to draw everyone's attention. That was when Mallika noticed that the table was all set for dinner and the rest of them were taking their places in the chairs around the dining table. Mallika was already sitting beside Armaan. Ranganath and Anji were right opposite to them. Ashutosh and Nidhi were sitting facing each other with Ashutosh between Armaan and Ranganath and Nidhi between Anji and Mallika.

"OK! Thank you everyone for coming this evening. Before we proceed with the dinner, I have something to say. I'm..not very good with words." He grimaced and shrugged. "You all know that but today I wanted to share something."

Edited by Suvika. - 9 years ago
Suvika. thumbnail

Final Chapter

Armaan's eyes almost popped out as he gasped, "Good God! He's going to propose in front of an audience!"

Mallika closed her eyes and gritted her teeth. "Just. Shut. Up. Armaan!"

"Armaan? Mallika? Everything OK?" Ashutosh frowned.

"Yeah yeah. You go on. I'm all ears. Do what you gotta do my friend."

Ashutosh raised his eyebrows. He knew what his friend was thinking. As if he could actually do something so weird! "Nidhi's result and the grant to KGH. Both are great reasons to celebrate. But there is one more thing. I..uh I had dinner with Sunil last night and he mentioned something to me." His eyes fell and stopped on Nidhi. Her eyes wide and curious. "He wants to take Nidhi as a full time Neurologist at CCH." Nidhi blinked, stunned. She honestly didn't know how to react. But the rest of the group compensated for her lack of response.

"I think that's a great idea Ashutosh." Mallika smiled and nodded. Nidhi being out of KGH would be the best thing that could happen.

"What the hell! I hope you said no." Armaan scowled.

"Sir, with this grant and the expansion plans, we need more doctors." Ranganath insisted.

"What did you tell him Dr Ashutosh?" Anji was direct with her question.

Ashutosh smiled at Anji as he replied, "I told him to make her the offer. He would be calling Nidhi tomorrow."

"You want her to accept?"

He shrugged. "Doesn't matter what I want. It's what she wants that's more important."

Anji didn't look away from him. "But what is your opinion sir? Do you think she should take it up and..move away from KGH and..you?"

Ashutosh's calm eyes met Anji's sharp ones. "Yes Anji. I would like her to take it up and move away from KGH and me. Nidhi has an amazing potential to become one of the best doctors in this field. But if she stays back in KGH, she would forever be under my shadow." He shook his head. "And no matter what she would accomplish on her own right, she would still be..people won't recognize or accept that." He shook his head again. "I don't want that. For her to flourish, she should go out." And just like that, he got his smile back. "But if that's not what she wants, I'm OK with her decision. As I said, it's her choice in the end."

For the first time, Anji's face relaxed completely and a wide grin spilt her face. Her lovely brown eyes looked at Nidhi, "What say Nidhi?"

Speech still seemed beyond Nidhi. She really didn't know what to say. The last few days have been like..like..it was like being in a desert for two years and suddenly being surrounded by lush green grass and life-giving rain. She swallowed and tried her best to overcome her overwhelming emotions. "Umm..I don't know."

Armaan smiled at her tenderly. "No issues Nidhi. Think about it. I think Ashu has a point though. But KGH will always be privileged to have you."

On that note, the dinner started. With the exception of Mallika, everyone seemed to be in a jubilant mood, with conversation flowing across the table and the dishes being emptied at a relaxed pace. Mallika glanced once again at Ashutosh and Nidhi. Sitting at the opposite ends of the table yet, not apart at all. What has changed? What brought on this new level of comfort and this confidence? Unlike before, there was no hesitation in Ashutosh now. He wasn't trying to hide his feelings. His gaze didn't slide away from Nidhi like before. It had been so easy to make him feel ashamed of his feelings for the intern before. But not anymore. How did he accept their relationship so fast? And Nidhi? How did she suddenly become so confident? When Ashutosh had broken their relationship, she had thought that was it. Nidhi wouldn't give him another chance. Wouldn't trust him again. So how did this happen? An uneasy suspicion took root in Mallika's mind and she saw red.

Armaan sat back in his seat with a replete groan. "Whoa! I'm stuffed!"

Mallika didn't waste a moment and stood up. "Ashutosh, can I have a word with you please? In private?"

Ashutosh, who was helping HK and Nidhi in clearing the table frowned but nodded. "Sure." He gave the plates to Nidhi. "I'll just be back." Both of them walked to the front lawn. "Kya baat hain Mallika?"

"Ashutosh, are you sleeping with her?"

"What?"

"You heard me."

Fury swept across his face and blazed through his eyes. "That's none of your business."

Guilty flush rode up her cheeks. "I crossed the line and I'm sorry." She whirled away from him. "But then what changed Ashutosh? Why are so..so..accepting of everything all of a sudden?"

Ashutosh took a deep breath before answering. "I'm tired of living like a zombie Mallika. Tired of trying to breathe without her.  Whatever guilt, whatever fear I had been dealing with back then, they didn't stand a chance in front of my one chance at happiness. Nidhi. "

"But you were not alone. You had me!"

His gaze didn't waver from her face. "I told you before. You're my friend. Nothing more, nothing less. I told you time and again to stop wasting your time with me."

"I can't do that. I love you."

"But I don't."

Her eyes glazed with pain and tears. "S-so now I'm supposed to wish you luck and be happy that you're moving on with someone else? I can't do that."

"Then don't do it." And in his eyes, she saw understanding. He knew what she was feeling. Could relate to it in some way. "It's time you stopped thinking about me and started thinking about yourself Mallika. And do what you think is best for you."

"I thought you were what was best for me Ashutosh!"

"But I'm not. You know I'm not."

She ran the back of her hand roughly over her eyes and cheeks. "I think..I think it's time I left."

Ashutosh nodded and stepped back. "Goodnight."

"Goodbye." With one long look, she turned and walked away into the night.

Ashutosh walked back into the house with his hands stuffed into his trouser pockets, his thoughts miles away.

"Everything OK?" Nidhi's gentle voice brought him back. He tilted his head and found her walking towards him with a bowl of gajar halwa in her hand. "Where is Mallikaji?"

"She had something to do. So she left." Nidhi frowned a little but accepted his statement and extended the bowl to him.

"So, what were you thinking? You looked lost."

He took the bowl, spooned the sweet and brought it to her mouth. With a happy grin, she opened her mouth and ate half of it. With a huff of laughter, he ate the rest of it. "I was thinking about how we got to be where we are today."

"Matlab?"

He gave her a small private smile as he led her to the main hall where Armaan, Ranganath and Anji were sitting and chatting. Armaan took one look at them and got up to stretch. "Chalo, I'm off now. Ranganath, Anji.. move. Don't you see that we are now kabab mein haddis?"

Ashutosh stood facing the three of them. Friends. The family that chose him and his Nidhi. The three people who took it upon themselves to give a helping hand to destiny just so that he could be happy. Who understood his past and believed in his future when he didn't believe in it himself.

"Nidhi, you know something? These three here..mostly these two.." he pointed at Armaan and Ranganath and continued, "We owe them a lot. Tumhaare appointment se leke Delhi ke trip tak sab kuch inn dono ke wajah se hua hain."

Nidhi looked at them. One with a huge grin and an unrepentant look on his face and another, with a shy smile and a slight guilty flush on his face. "Mujhe laga tha. I mean not at first but.."

Anji tried to scowl. "They even made me lie to you about that food poisoning thing." Nidhi bit her lip to stop her own laughter and hugged her friend. "And they sent that other doctor on a vacation just so that.."

Nidhi's mouth dropped open at that. "That too?"

Ashutosh nodded. "That too." He went and stood before both of them. "Thank you. Both of you."

Armaan tried to laugh it off though his eyes had turned misty. "Dr Ashutosh Mathur going all senti on us?"

Wordlessly, Ashutosh opened his arms and all three of them shared a tight group hug until they were sure they had their emotions under control. Even Ranganath seemed to be oddly moved at this gesture from his boss. Armaan patted Nidhi's cheek affectionately and Ranganath exchanged a one armed hug with her and shook his head firmly as she mumbled a teary thank you.

Diye Jalte Hain, Phool Khilte Hain,

Badi Mushkil Se, Magar, Duniya Mein Dost Milte Hain

The same words resonated in all their hearts.

Ashutosh turned towards Nidhi with a smile in his bright eyes. "Come, I'll drop you home."

Nidhi nodded and went inside to collect her bag and tell HK. HK blessed her and took a promise from her that she would come more frequently. A promise she gladly made. A few minutes later, everyone got into their respective cars and backed out of the driveway. Ashutosh, after another glance to make sure Nidhi fastened her seatbelt, started the car and headed out in the direction of her home.

"What are you thinking?"

Nidhi blinked and smiled. "Nothing. Just..so much has happened in the span of a few weeks. Sometimes I wonder if I'm dreaming."

Ashutosh removed his hand from the gearshift and entwined his fingers with hers. "You really think all this is a dream?"

Nidhi remained silent for a few moments before shaking her head. "No," then turned sideways to look at him better. "You really want me to join in CCH?"

Ashutosh shrugged. "I meant what I said Nidhi. Decision is completely yours. You know what's best for you, so think and decide."

"And you would be OK with whatever I decide?"

"Of course I would. Why the doubt? You still don't trust me?" His question seemed casual enough on the surface but she could detect his underlying tension.

She smiled and slid as close to him as the bucket seat would allow. With a blissful sigh, she rested her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes. "I trust you Ashuji. It's not about that at all. I just want you to be happy. I don't want you to feel let down or.."

He rubbed his cheek over her hair. "I'm happy. More happy that I ever thought possible to be. And it's your career so you have to decide on your own not because I'm saying something or I want something."

Nidhi paused for a long moment, took a deep breath and replied, "Then I'll go and meet Dr Sunil tomorrow."

"Great." He paused momentarily before continuing, "Talk to your baba too. See what he says. When are you going to meet him?"

"I was thinking tomorrow morning." She would go there early in the morning. It was time she talked to her father and explained everything. If he didn't like.. she sighed..well, if he didn't like, she would face that too. She had her love right beside her now.

The sudden splatter of rain drops on the windshield drowned out the rest of their respective thoughts.

Nidhi lifted her face from its resting place with a broad grin. "Ashuji! Baarish!"

"Yeah." Both of them seemed to be lost in the same memories. Priyanka's wedding, their return, the rain, her blue dress. He had fallen in love with her that night. And from that point on there had been no going back for either of them. Now here they were..three years and a life time of experiences later.. in love, in rain and together once again.

"Chaliye na phirse bheegte hain!"

Ashutosh blinked. "Abhi? Iss beech sadak pe?"

Nidhi squinted her eyes and looked out of the window before exclaiming. "Stop the car, stop the car." Ashutosh obediently slid the car to a smooth halt on the side of the road. "There is a nice small park right here. Chaliye waha chalte hain. No one will be there at this time of the night."

Without waiting for an answer, she opened the door and hit the road running towards the park. Caught up in her exuberance, Ashutosh also got down and followed at her at a relaxed pace. The falling rain wet his t-shirt within moments and he removed his glasses and slid them into the pocket of his t-shirt. His feet slowed as they entered the park. Nidhi, with her arms stretched wide was twirling around in the wet grass. Her face was tilted up towards the sky, eyes closed as the rain showered its love on her.

Abb koyee duree na uljan koyee, bas ek ikrar hai

Abb na kahee ham na tum hd kahee, bas pyar hee pyar hai 

Sun sako dhadkane itne pas aao na.  

Sab gate hain, sab hee madhosh hain

Ham tum kyun khamosh hain

Abb mere sapno pe tum hee tum chaho na

He wrapped a firm arm around her waist and whirled her in an effortless waltz, mimicking the moments that he had seen her making with his shirt that evening. He savoured her giggling playfulness. Yes, his Nidhi was now back. Fun-loving, naughty, passionate, affectionate. Love and yearning overwhelmed him.

"Marry me, Nidhi." The suddenness of his words turned her immobile in his arms.  She blinked the rain away from her eyes and stared. And stared. And stared. "Marry me." His voice was more firm now. More intense.

There! He has said it again. Her crazy love-struck heart hadn't conjured up those words. Trembling hands wrapped themselves around his shoulders and she hid her face in his neck and said, "Yes."

He pulled her away from him to look into her eyes. "Say it again."

"Yes." She nodded rapidly and tried to smile and grin. "Yes, I'll marry you."

His arms tightened around her waist. "Say, yes, I'll marry you Ashutosh."

Even with the rain beating down on them, he could feel the heat of her cheeks. "Yes, I'll marry you Ashutosh."

With a sudden groan he pulled her against him, burying his face in her hair. Nidhi closed her eyes, her mind spinning. His body was solid and powerful, hunching over hers to accommodate their difference in height. She felt him tremble in her arms. He wants to marry her. And she has said yes. Oh my God! They were going to get married! Blindly, she flattened her hand on his cheek, against the softness of his now wet beard. "I'll.. I want to marry you Ashutosh."

He turned his mouth to the tender skin of her neck. His hands gripped her closer, and they both began to breathe harshly. He groped for her wrist and brought her palm to his chest, over his thundering heart. He fitted his mouth over hers with a tortured groan, his tongue searching in urgent forays. Nidhi curled her arms around his head, tangling her fingers in his dark locks as if she could hold him to her forever. She could still feel his heartbeat pounding against her flattened breasts. She didn't know how long he stood there kissing her, his mouth sometimes gentle, sometimes brutal, his hands wandering freely over her body. Her legs turned weak, and she knew she couldn't have stood upright without his arms around her. And neither noticed the rain dwindling down to a slight drizzle.

Her breath hitched in and she moaned when his lips left hers to slide hotly down her throat. He smoothed her hair back from her face and pressed his forehead to hers. "Say my name again."

"Ashutosh."

For a moment he was immobile. His breath fanned over her chin. Then he brushed a soft kiss on each of her closed eyes while her lashes trembled against his lips. "This was not the way I wanted to do this," he said roughly.

She smiled. "I wouldn't have it any other way."

Ghunjee see hai saree fija, jaise bajatee ho shehnaiya

Leheratee hai mehakee hawa, gungunatee hain tanhaiya

He smiled slightly. With arms around each other, they went back to the car and at her apartment, their parting held both reluctance and anticipation of the days to come.

The next day morning Nidhi went to her house to meet her baba and DB. There were so many things to tell them that she didn't even know where to start. She called ahead and told her baba that she was coming for breakfast. But when she went, her DB opened the door and stomped off into her room with a huff. Nidhi sighed. She had thought the news of her result would soften her DB a little but high hopes. But her baba made up for it and gave her a warm welcome. He hugged her and patted her repeatedly with a huge proud grin on her face. CS told her that he had made all her favourite items for breakfast and soon both father and daughter sat down to eat. Nidhi bit her lip pondering on how to open the topic of Ashutosh.

"So Nidhi beta, what are your plans now?"

Nidhi cleared her throat. "Ji..Dr Sunil from CCH called me this morning baba. He wants to take me as the attending Neurologist at their hospital full time."

CV nodded and very casually dropped his next question. "And what does Ashutosh think about that?"

Nidhi coughed and sputtered. CV calmly extended the water glass to her and waited for her to stop coughing. He smiled as he asked, "I take it he didn't tell you that he had come and met me?" Nidhi shook her head like a doll. He came and met her father? For what? When? How? Reading the questions on his daughter's face, CV answered them. "He came yesterday morning. We spoke for quite some time." He paused and looked at his daughter intently. "He told me everything. He is a nice man Nidhi. The meeting didn't start out that great but..by the end of it I..liked him."

"You.." Nidhi cleared her throat. "You like him. You are OK with..him and..me?"

CV nodded and shrugged. "I'm not entirely comfortable with the age gap but.. I respect your decision Nidhi. I trust you to know what is good for you. I followed my heart and never regretted it for a single moment. I'm hoping the same in your case too."

Nidhi still appeared dazed. "DB..is that why she is angry today? You told her?"

CV nodded. "She is not going to accept so fast. You have to use all your convincing powers to get her on your side in this issue. You are on your own there."

Nidhi nodded enthusiastically. "I'll do it. Pakka. I'll do whatever it takes."Her baba has accepted. Ashutosh himself came and spoke. Her baba likes Ashutosh. Oh God! When her Ashuji decides to fight, he gets into it armed and guns blazing. She hadn't even known! He hadn't even breathed a word to her. She would do anything to convince her DB now. Oh God! Oh God! She should call Anji. She should..

"You can start by coming back to this house again."

Nidhi nodded immediately. Yes, she would come back home. Right away. "Ummm..baba..he..he proposed last night."

"Shall I tell CS to bring in the gulab jamun now?" Her father grinned.

Nidhi nodded, smiled as tears rolled down her cheeks. She hastily wiped them away with the back of her hand, got up and hugged her father. "Thank you baba. Thank you so much."

CV patted her arm lovingly. "Be happy beta. That's all I ask for. Be happy." After a few moments, the emotional tempest subsided and they resumed their breakfast again. "So, this CCH thing.."

Nidhi smiled and started talking.

Dr Sunil closed the file with a smile. "So, what have you decided?"

Nidhi grinned. "I'm ready to join sir. But don't you want to wait until I get my certificate, marks list and stuff?"

Sunil waved it away. "I already spoke to your HOD in the college and Ashutosh has given me his own report of your performance there. So just join. Rest will be handled later. We're expanding and we need staff stat."

"OK sir. I will get relieved from KGH next week so I'll start here from the first of the next month?"

"Sounds good." Both of them got up and Sunil extended his hand. "Welcome to CCH Dr Nidhi Verma and good luck. Just go down to the HR. They will have your papers ready for your signature."

"Thank you sir." Nidhi turned and walked out of the cabin with bright shining face. Dr Nidhi Verma! Soon she would be Dr Nidhi Mathur. She hugged the knowledge close to her heart.

"Good morning sir."

Ashutosh removed the surgical cap and nodded. "Good morning Ranganath."

"Sir..uh.." after a hasty look around, Ranganath smiled broadly.  "Congratulations sir."

Ashutosh raised his eyebrow. "Got the news already?"

"Yes sir. Nidhi called Anji this morning."

Ashutosh nodded and both men started walking towards his cabin. His ears were still ringing with the loud whoop of Armaan that morning. And what more, he was dragging Ashutosh that very evening to buy a ring, dismayed at the thought that his friend had proposed without it in the first place.

"Umm..sir, Dr Mallika has submitted her resignation. She wants to leave end of this month. Back to Australia. Apparently some job offer.."

Ashutosh frowned but then sighed a little dismally and nodded. "I guess she knows what's best for her. I'll meet her later and wish her good luck. Anything else?"

Anji will relax now, was Ranganath's first thought. "Sir, Dr Nidhi Verma's duty is to be relieved next week."

"I know. She wants to join CCH. I trust you guys are not going to do anything to stop her this time around?" He couldn't resist adding.

"Arre sir, why would we do that? We wouldn't dream of it. No way."

"Pakka?" Laughter spilled from his eyes. But his attention got diverted as his phone buzzed with an incoming message. He glanced at it.

Ranganath actually saw the smile that lit his boss's dark eyes. He grinned knowingly. "Pakka sir. Pakka. So I'll get the papers ready?"

"Yeah, sure." The reply was distracted at best. With a nod, Ranganath left. Ashutosh sighed as he sat in his chair. Dr Nidhi Verma. Soon she would be Dr Nidhi Mathur. He tapped the phone and opened the message.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsMUGjG4F6k

Tu mera afsana 
Tu mera paimana
Tu meri aadat, Ibaadat hai tu
Tu mera muskurana
Tu mera ghabraana
Tu mere gustaakhi ki maafi bhi tu

"Met Dr Sunil. Joining date - first of next month."

He typed his reply. "Great. Congratulations. Enjoy the outing with your friends tonight. I'll be there by 9-9.30."

Tu meri rag rag mein
Tu meri nas nas mein
Tu meri jaan hai, aur tu meri rooh
Tu hi junun bhi hai
Tu hi nasha bhi hai
Tu hi duaa meri, sajda bhi tu

"Can't wait."

"Me neither."

"Ashutosh..need to tell you so many things."

"Nidhi..I know."

Arziyaan de raha hai dil, aao
Sun lo kuchh keh reha hai dil, aao
Aahatein kuchh nayi si jagi hai
Musiki ek nayi hai sun jaao
Arziyan de raha hai dil, aao
Sun lo kuchh keh raha hai dil, aao

With smiles that held elation at the present and anticipation of the future, they started their day knowing that wherever they go and whatever they do, their love for each other will always remain strong as ever.

Walking along the corridor at a fast pace, Ranganath almost collided with Armaan. "Arre sir, good morning. I was just going to message you."

"Don't bother. I already know he proposed and she accepted." Armaan's reply was grumpy. "No ring, no candlelight dinner! They don't even know when they want to get married. That guy can't see anything right now beyond her gold medal. Honestly he will never change." He shook his head despairingly.

Ranganath smiled. "What difference does it make sir?"

At those words, Armaan lost his grouchy look and grinned once again with a nod. "Yeah. And in Mallika's words..here are these two..Ashutosh and Nidhi..as different as chalk and cheese. But at the end they still ended up together. Each had plans and expectations of their own and yet..Destiny had something else in mind." He shook his head thoughtfully and placed a hand on Ranganath's shoulder. "We are all at the end, mere characters of Destiny's Play mere bhai!"

Ranganath agreed. "True sir but we did give it a helping hand, didn't we?"

"Of course! Even Destiny needs a leg up now and then Ranganath. Even Destiny."

Both of them shared a laugh and exchanged a high five.

----x----

And that my friends was Destiny's Play! Hope you all LIKED it!

Once again, thank you Shari, for entrusting me with your story. And thank you my readers.. each and every one of you.. for all your love, support and encouragement. Really enjoyed interacting with you all after each and every update of mine. 

Suvika. thumbnail
So, as promised, here is the Epilogue for Destiny's Play. It has come almost as long as a whole chapter. But I hope you will enjoy it nonetheless. And it is dedicated to Aarti and Rajani. The two readers who answered the question that I had asked in page 52. 
Here you go.. Enjoy!! 

Epilogue

About a year later:

His shoes pounded on the concrete as his muscle toned legs ate up the distance and brought him closer to his home. Ashutosh loved running and considered it one of the best forms of exercises. And early morning was the best time for him. His mind would be fresh and clear and with Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia's early morning raga plugged to his ears through his iPod, things couldn't get better. He could sense a change in the sky in the east and the roads becoming brighter with each passing minute. He turned his head east and saw that dawn had broken. The sky in the opposite direction was still dark, but in the east, a mixture of yellow and orange on the horizon had begun to evaporate the inky darkness of the night. Against the tri-coloured rainbow sky, trees, power-lines, and the roofs of houses were like shadows. A smile adorned his hot, sweaty face.Yes. Life was great indeed.

He slowed down as he neared the main gate of his house and finally came to a stop with one hand resting on the iron railings. His house. His home. He and Nidhi had shifted to his childhood house soon after their marriage almost seven months back. Nidhi along with her friend Anji had redecorated the whole house and he had to hand it to them. They had managed to make it modern and stylish without losing its original elegance. Maybe it had something to do with the colour scheme and the furniture they had chosen. His eyes had almost popped out at some of the colours that had been short listed at that time but he had to admit. The end result was truly beautiful. A house that truly felt like home.Taking in a deep peaceful breath, he opened the gate and walked up the path that led to the main door. And every evening / night he returned tired from work, that was what it had felt like. A home. His home. His heaven. He inserted the key and opened the door. The blare of loud music brought his peaceful thoughts to a screeching halt. And his hell.Was his first thought.

He stomped into the house a scowl darkening on his face with his every step. He saw HK in the kitchen with cotton stuffed in his ears and locked his jaw.

"NIDHI! NIDHI! LOWER THE VOLUME PLEASE!"

He might as well have saved his breath. He couldn't even hear himself. Everything was drowned in Mohit Chauhan's "Naadan parindey ghar aaja..naadan parindey ghar aaja..oh naadaaan.." With a foul curse, he threw his iPod in the chair and climbed the stairs two at a time. Stairs that led to the first floor of their house which had a study and two bedrooms. The music as usual was coming from one of the second bedroom which was not used much except by Nidhi while she exercised. He threw the door open.

Nidhi in the costume of black sports bra and tight dark pink shorts that she wore while she did her aerobics was twisting and bending and stretching in rhythm to the music. A fine bead of sweat had formed all over her body giving a glossy sheen to it. But Ashutosh barely paid attention to those details as he barged in and pulled the plug out of the power socket. The sudden silence was as deafening as the loud music of A.R. Rahman. Nidhi frowned and stopped.

"Why did you do that?"

"Is it really necessary to blast the walls of this house with such loud music? Can't you plug it in your ears or something?"

"How would I do that? They keep falling off when I bend and stretch."

"You think you are the only one living in this house? Kaka has started stuffing cotton in his ears."

Nidhi had the gall to smile. "Good na. I gave him that idea when he said his ears are hurting."

Ashutosh's anger went up by a few more notches. "And you think I should also be doing the same."

"Sometimes your brain works sharp even away from the hospital Dr Ashutosh Mathur."

"I like my mornings to be quiet and peaceful. Is that too much to ask Dr Nidhi Mathur?"

Nidhi glowered back at him. "Then do your running for some more time na. I exercise only for 30 minutes. And I want music for those 30 minutes."

"Then listen to something pleasant."

"Yes. I can see myself doing aerobics with MS Subbalakshmiji's bhajan playing in the background."

"You are making fun of my choice of music?" He threw the towel with which he had been wiping his face and neck.

"No. You are the one doing that. You just don't want to accept that you have started to like my choice of music. And..exercise."

Ashutosh rolled his eyes. "Oh please!"

Nidhi's eyes lit up in challenge. She slowly made her way to the player feeling his eyes that seemed to have locked on her shorts encased backside and bare legs. "Shall I prove it Dr Mathur?" And played another song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fz2GXx9Qsw

He turned towards her as he heard the first strings of guitar. The volume got toned down a little and he watched his wife assume a traditional salsa dance position. He had not even known that she could do salsa until after their marriage and it never failed to turn him on. Now was no different. Lot of people described salsa as fun, cool and energetic. But to him..when Nidhi danced.. it was hot, sexy and seductive. She twisted and twirled around him, bent almost into an inverted U with the support of his arm. The costume of black and dark pink only added to that seductive allure. His fingers traced her contours almost involuntarily as his eyes devoured the way she knelt in front of him with both her legs stretched to a straight line before rising up on her toes and falling on his chest with both her arms around his neck. His rough palms tightened on her waist as he lifted her up with ease and threw her over his shoulder; the music and the argument forgotten by both of them as familiar heat enveloped and flared their insides.

Nidhi gave a startled squeak as her world suddenly turned upside down and she found herself dangling from his shoulder, her face touching his mid back.

"That song is all wrong." He growled as he made his way into the huge bathroom.

She giggled and ran her fingers over the back of his thighs before venturing into his running shorts. She felt him shudder but he didn't release his hold on her until he had the shower running. Then with both arms wrapped around her waist, he drew her in front of him until their faces were inches apart and she had both her legs wrapped around his waist, arms around his neck. Water sluiced on them.

"Why is the song all wrong?"

"Because.." he bit her chin. "Because.." his lips and tongue traced and tasted her neck. "I am already yours. Ek din tera hojaunga nahi.. hogaya."

And the salsa dance changed to the dance of love.

Nidhi pushed him aside from the full length mirror. "Hatiye.. I need to get ready or we'll end up being late for the conference."

Ashutosh gave her an exasperated look. "You hogged the mirror for twenty minutes. How much longer do you need? Let me brush my hair."

Giving up on trying to move the six feet of muscle, she stood in front of him to adjust her sari pleats. "What do I do? You got my hair wet in the shower."

The ringing of the phone put an effective end to another brewing argument. Anji had been right, Nidhi thought. Being in love was one thing but living together day in and day out was a totally different thing. From food to sleep timings to music they fought and argued for everything. She saw him picking up the phone with the frown still lingering on his face. But she wouldn't trade a single second of it. Life with love sure was funny that way. They drove each other crazy on a daily basis but thrived every minute of their life together.

"Haan Armaan bol."

"Ashu, tell Nidhi that I have booked the tickets for the movie this weekend."

Ashu glared at his wife's excited face. "Movie? What movie?"

"Ek Villian."

"I'm not coming. You and Nidhi go."

"Mere baap, aisa mat bol. I have no desire to start another gossip in KGH. Aur waise bhi you and Kavita come to the theatre and sleep anyway. So what difference does it make? You guys sleep and we will watch."

Ashutosh sighed. "You could have chosen a better movie."

"Oye, this month is our choice. Last time had been yours. We shut our mouths and sat through Gravity, didn't we?"

Ashutosh looked at the watch. "OK, fine. I'll tell her. Got to go now."

"She is also coming to that conference?"

"Yup. In Lucknow so we'll be back home after dinner."

"Lucky you. My wife being a non-doctor runs in the opposite direction. Conference ho ya party, I end up going alone." He sighed theatrically before starting, "sunn raha hain na tu..ro raha hu mein.."

"Bye Armaan!" He stuffed the phone into his trouser pocket. "Ab chale? Ya aur bhi sajna sawarna baaki hain?"

Nidhi gave a final adjustment to her pallu and mangalsutra before turning to him. She rose on her toes, kissed his beard rough cheek before adjusting his tie. "All set."

CV opened the door and his face split into a huge smile. "Arre, Chaturvediji, welcome! Welcome! Please come! Namaste bhabhiji! What a pleasant surprise! Bua! Bua, look who has come!"

The couple entered and took their seats and got up again as DB entered the room. "Arre, aap log! Namaste Namaste. Baitiye. Abe manhoos! Chai naashte ka intezaam kar!"

Chaturvedi shook his head. "Please, no formalities."

"Arre aise kaise? We had been neighbours until you people bought that huge apartment and shifted. And you've come after so long." DB turned towards CV. "The last we saw them was at Nidhi's wedding, right?"

Chaturvedi smiled and agreed. "Yes buaji. You are right. And now, we have come to invite you to our daughter's wedding."

A huge round of exclamations and best wishes were passed around before they settled and resumed the conversation. Mrs Chaturverdi looked at the various pictures of Nidhi scattered around the hall. Some single and some with Ashutosh, presumably taken during their honeymoon. That didn't look like India. Curiosity got the better of her as she asked, "That one..it's not in India, right?" She pointed towards the snap where the couple with wide smiles on their faces were facing the camera with the backdrop of some forest.

CV smiled. "Yes. They had gone to Africa for their honeymoon. That one is one of the many taken during the wildlife safari."

DB couldn't help grumbling. "Yeh ladki bhi na. Rat lagake baiti thi ki jangal mein honeymoon manana hain."

Mrs Chaturvedi smiled a little sneeringly. "So she is still with her husband?" At DB's startled look, she hastily continued, "I mean..what with the age difference and all. Dono ko ek saath dekhe toh saaf dikhta haina. Ajeeb lagta hoga aaplogon ko bhi." She tried to appear sympathetic and failed miserably while her husband looked as if he wanted the ground to open up and swallow him whole.

DB blinked and grinned. "Humaari baat chodo. Apni sunao. You are getting your daughter married. It's great actually. You are doing a good thing. What with your son leaving his wife and marrying the maid and all.."

The couple paled at that. Things moved rapidly. They invited CV and DB for the wedding and took their leave even before CS could bring the tea and snacks. CV looked at their departing car and sighed. "Bua, you shouldn't have said that."

DB scowled. "Why? She was being nasty and I just gave her a taste of her own medicine. You think I would really keep quiet if someone dares to point fingers at my Nidhi?" She shook her head. "I still don't like what she did. And on top of that, she refused to eat until I agreed for this match. That girl outright blackmailed me."

CV laughed but quickly turned it into a cough. "Accept it bua. You have begun to like Ashutosh."

DB shook her head. "I just hope and pray that he takes good care of my bachchi. I don't want or expect anything else from him. Abe manhoos! Did you bring the mangoes from the market like I asked you to? I told jamaibabu that I would send his favourite achaar." CV chuckled and went in to get ready to go to his office.

Ashutosh and Nidhi reached the conference hall and parted ways. Ashutosh went towards Dr Bhargav and a few other colleagues while Nidhi made her way to Dr Sunil and a few other doctors from CCH. Sunil's smile widened as he saw her. "Hey Nidhi, good morning."

"Good morning sir. Hello Keerthi."

Sunil gestured towards another elderly person standing beside him. "Nidhi, meet Dr Sundaram. He is from Chennai and has worked in KGH until a few years back." He grinned at Dr Sundaram. "And this is Dr Nidhi Mathur, Neurologist at CCH and Dr Ashutosh's wife."

"Hello sir." Nidhi smiled warmly and shook hands with the doctor who seemed to try hard not to look stupefied.

Sunil chuckled. "Don't mind him Nidhi. He is still trying to recover from the shock of Heartstone getting married."

Dr Keerthi couldn't resist saying, "Sunil, you were in no better shape when you got the news first either. I can still remember the way you kept blinking and looking at them when Dr Ashutosh had come to pick up Nidhi from CCH for the first time all those months ago."

Sunil acknowledged that gracefully. "I was justified in my reaction Keerthi. I mean come on, I come out of the OT and see him walking towards me.. I thought he had come to see some patient or something and then he says I came to pick up Nidhi. I mean..what was I to say?"

Nidhi laughed. "Sir, you actually asked him pick up Nidhi? Why?"

Sundaram threw back his head and laughed out loud. "Really? What did Heartstone say to that?"

Sunil looked sheepish. "He said, for dinner and dancing. Do I need to take your permission?" He could see Ashutosh's expression clearly. The impassive face daring him.. even waiting for him to say more.

Keerthi choked on her coffee. "Dinner and..dancing? Nidhi, your husband dances?"

Nidhi giggled. "No. Not much anyway."

"That was just to get a reaction out of me Keerthi. He must've thought if he said just dinner I would ask another silly question."

Sundaram grinned. "That sounds like Heartstone alright. Is Dr Mallika still at KGH Dr Nidhi?"

"No sir. She left for Australia a few months back. Her brother lives there so.." Nidhi shrugged and left it at that.

Sundaram nodded before turning to Sunil. "Mallika and Ashutosh had been great friends when I had been working in KGH. We used to meet them at the classical music concerts and all that. Lot of us thought they would get marri.." Apparently realizing that he has just managed to put his whole foot in his mouth, he gave an awkward smile and excused himself with undue haste.

With a reassuring smile at Nidhi, Sunil also ambled off in another direction leaving an uncomfortable silence between the women. Nidhi took a deep breath. "Shall we go?"

Keerthi nodded. "Yeah, sure. Ummm.. is that true?"

Nidhi tried her best to cover the sudden streak of insecurity that seemed to slither over her spine. She shrugged. "They were just good friends. Nothing more, nothing less."

"Oh OK. But Dr Sundaram was saying.."

"Both of them had similar tastes in music and stuff like that. What's the big deal Keerthi?"

Keerthi had the grace to look abashed. "Sorry. I was being my usual nosy self. Didn't mean anything." Nidhi smiled gracefully and both of them made their way into the conference hall. "I do understand the concept of friendship, you know? My best friend is a guy. My neighbour and classmate in school. So believe me, I know that gender doesn't matter. Dr Ashutosh must be missing her na. Especially if their tastes and preferences matched and all that.." Keerthi continued her monologue about her friends and get-togethers until the welcome speech started. Nidhi couldn't help but be relieved. But the question refused to leave her.Did he miss his friend?

Ashutosh idly wondered why people assumed that if they just toned their volume down, no one else would be able to hear them? The doctors who were seated behind him weren't even pretending to hear the welcoming speech. Agreed that it was not in the least bit interesting but still.. No. They were deep in discussion about his personal life. Don't they get bored? What business is it of theirs anyway? But their sotto comments continued to reach him.

"I really didn't know Dr Nidhi is his wife. She looks so young."

"She is young. Fifteen years younger than him. He fell in love with an intern and married her."

"Well good that he married her I suppose. Instead of having an affair and ditching. It's not unheard of na."

"Yeah..but how do they even get along I wonder! These days people consider five years as a generation gap."

"And..what about children? She can afford to wait for a few more years but he.."

Ashutosh had had enough.  He turned towards them. "Yes. After a few years, I would probably end up looking more like their grandfather than a father." They paled and then turned red. But he achieved what he wanted. Blessed silence. He just wished it had been that easy to silence the questions running through his mind too.

Nidhi opened the door and entered to a silent house. She frowned and looked at her watch. 9.30 PM. Not that late. Ashutosh hadn't stayed at the conference. Post lunch, he had a call that one of the patients he had operated on had taken a bad turn so he had rushed back to KGH. HK came out of the kitchen.

"Kaka, I saw his car outside. Is he back?"

"Yes. He came about an hour ago. How did you come?"

"Dr Sunil dropped me. He had his dinner?"

HK shook his head. "He lost a patient today. I forced him and made him drink a glass of milk. He is very disturbed beti."

Nidhi's heart squeezed. She should've called and checked. "He is upstairs?"

"Yes. I told him to call Armaan or someone and talk it out. He would feel better. But he said Nidhi will be back soon kaka. I think he will be OK once he knows you're here beti. Go."

The weight pressing on her chest eased and she smiled. She wished kaka goodnight and went upstairs. The light in the study was on. She quickly went to the bedroom, freshened up and changed into her favourite nightwear. His t-shirt. She entered the study room quietly.

"Nidhi.." His deep rough baritone reached her. He was standing at the window with his back to her, staring into the dark night.

Her bare feet padded on the floor as she went and wrapped her arms around his waist. "You should've called. I would've come na."

He sighed and leaned into her hug. "There was nothing you could've done."

Nidhi didn't agree but didn't push him further. "You did the best you could Ashutosh."

"I just..I wasn't expecting it. I thought he would pull through. It was a benign tumour Goddammit!" He smashed his fist against the wall beside the window. His helplessness eating him away.

She caught his fist in her hand before he could actually hurt himself. "Shhh..it's OK. It's OK." She led him to their bedroom and he settled himself with his head in her lap, a weary sigh escaping his lips. Nidhi ran her fingers through his greying hair. They remained that way for a long while.

He turned and hid his head in her tummy. "Thank God you're here Nidhi. Earlier something like this used to happen and I just..I used to feel so alone. I couldn't even talk to anyone. The guilt and the what if scenarios used to smother me until I could barely breathe." He looked into her love-filled eyes. "Now I feel..I don't feel that way anymore. Thank you."

She leaned down and pecked his lips. "You're very welcome. Now, let's talk about something else. I met your ex-colleague Dr Sundaram today."

"Hmmm..hey how is Anji doing? Scan report all normal?"

Nidhi nodded. "Yeah. Her in-laws want to do the godbharai some time next month." She groaned out in exasperation. "DB is going to eat my head now."

His lips formed a small smile. "What's new in that? Both of you are always eating each other's heads."

Nidhi traced his smile with her fingers and leaned down to peck his lips a little longer this time. He quickly caught hold of her hair and deepened the kiss. Need for air made her moan and pull away a little even as her fingers pulling up his t-shirt. "But she is the heights I tell you. I mean.. can you believe it? She actually asked me when I was going to have kids the day after we got married."

He huffed out a small laugh and sent his fingers exploring under her shirt. "Uh huh. Not after we got married. She waited until after our suhaag raat." Both of them laughed and rolled on the bed with arms wrapped around each other. His restless mind settled down in her presence. In her loving embrace, he forgot everything. Peace permeated every cell of his body. He settled himself over her and his eyes darkened at the instinctive way she wrapped her arms and legs around him.

"But really. What do you think about having kids? We never even talked."

Nidhi leaned up and peppered his face with tiny kisses. "I want two kids. Being an only child is boring."

"Uh..OK..but that wasn't my question."

She pulled his face down to her neck. He gladly obeyed her silent demand. "Hmmm..I don't want to be pregnant.. for..for..uh..m-my first wedding anniversary. Aaah.. Ashutosh!" Her neck arched up as she offered herself like a feast to his starving body and heart.

His passion glazed eyes opened and looked into hers. Their faced flushed. "How about for the second anniversary then?"

She giggled and bit his lower lip softly. "I don't want to be puking for my second anniversary."

"Hmmm..then..we just have to try.." his lips travelled down, further down and further down, making her arch and thrash and try to pull him up and over her. "Have to try and..and cross that stage by then."

"Ouch! Uh..th-that sounds like a plan."

"A wonderful plan indeed!"

"Ashutosh.."

"Nidhi.."

Words became redundant after that as their bodies spoke the universal language of love.

----x----

And that's it. They don't live happily ever after but they live and love together no matter what Destiny decides to throw at them in the coming days / months / years. 

Suvika. thumbnail

🤣 

Good morning Tupu and congratulations. ðŸ¤— ðŸ˜†

Suvika. thumbnail

Originally posted by: ttrocks

Hello SujathaDi. 😃

Hi... How is it going??