Duty towards parents: Yes or No? - Page 2

Posted: 9 years ago
Originally posted by return_to_hades

I firmly believe that children are human beings and a great responsibility, not an investment fund. People should not have children with the assumption of having someone pay them back in the future.
If children are human so are the parents. 🤓 They cannot be regarded as some contingency account from which we can keep  drawing. Not denying that there are some parents  who do consider them as insurance for futre but not all. There are some who have  emotional needs or attachments to their kids and not necessarily  financial dependance. 

I think people should invest in their own futures and not depend on others to be taken care off.

So it should be their own finances, career first and then come their children 😉 All experimenters do so at your own cost henceforth 😆
That being said people should look after those in need, especially if they have a debt of gratitude.

Feeling of gratitude would be very subjective meaning those who are ungrateful shouldnt have to look after those in need ? 😕

That is the right thing to do. However, people have a greater responsibility towards their spouses and children as they chose to take those responsibilities.

I don't think anyone owes anyone anything unless they willingly made a commitment.
Its all about choices yeah !? 🤓

Originally posted by zorrro

Did the kids latch on to their parents or did parents choose to create a child?

By all means keep career and life first. But then don't have kids. If you do have kids YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. If they are pregnant as teens, if they do drugs, if they cause any harm. PARENTS RESPONSIBILITY FIRST. Because no one else but the couple chose to have them.
Hey, parents. Stop raising children and start raising adults... & Feel like...the problem with today's children is that today's parents are idiots...Edited by Vinzy - 9 years ago

Whose future? The parent's or the children's?

What about the parents' responsibility to their own present circumstances? Should they be obliged to sacrifice their own present comfort/pleasure/ ambitions/ career for a teen who wanted to experiment against their advice? Shouldnt the experimenters be responsible for the outcome of their own experiments ?

I deliberately strayed from the complications that you added and only answered the main question "Duty towards parents: yes or no"

My answer was not so much a Yes or No; if push comes to shove, if one can only choose the kids or the parents when it comes to investing their time, money or efforts, I said one has to pick the kids because they represent the future whereas the parents represent the past.

I didn't say that we shouldn't be thankful to our parents for what they did. I didn't say that we shouldn't be there for them. If one can be there for the kids as well as the parents, nothing like that. I thought the dilemma that you posed was "who is a bigger priority? kids or parents".

The parents that you are talking about were kids too at one point and their parents too sacrificed for them. That's how it flows, from top to bottom.

Did the kids latch on to their parents or did parents choose to create a child?

By all means keep career and life first. But then don't have kids. If you do have kids YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. If they are pregnant as teens, if they do drugs, if they cause any harm. PARENTS RESPONSIBILITY FIRST. Because no one else but the couple chose to have them.

Whoa! What a lot of expectations from the parents ...😲

C' mon now! Human beings who become parents aren't that much older than these blundering teenagers and cant be expected to magically transform into responsible super human beings the moment they become parents.  Most parents in India would be in their early twenties when this responsibility begins. Its just that with every successful handling of their parental ordeals they may get closer to such transformation :) We should also not forget that parents are "born" the same moment as their own baby. So couldn't be expected to have  much experience of handling  their own kid. Its not as if  people are having half a dozen kids these days. After sex education a parenting education  perhaps...for those who consciously choose to be parents? With or without parenting education , those who consciously chose to be parents seem to be doing a much better job than those who had it thrust on them. Its about time that society stops pushing them into reluctant roles else bear the inadvertent consequences.

I think parents made a choice to create life and bring someone into this world. So now they have a responsibility to ensure that they raise the child to be a productive member of society. I think if teenagers are mucking up, it is the parents responsibility to correct them. Society should not have to pay the burden of delinquent teens or support teen parents.

I firmly believe that children are human beings and a great responsibility, not an investment fund. People should not have children with the assumption of having someone pay them back in the future.

I think people should invest in their own futures and not depend on others to be taken care off. That being said people should look after those in need, especially if they have a debt of gratitude. That is the right thing to do. However, people have a greater responsibility towards their spouses and children as they chose to take those responsibilities.

I don't think anyone owes anyone anything unless they willingly made a commitment.

Not all parents make a choice of having their children. Some would be accidental by products. Some got married due to their parental or social pressure and parenthood got thrust on them. It may not always have been a conscious decision to have children.

Since they did not willingly make a commitment  that absolve them of their parental responsibilities...per your last statement.

@ red-what goes comes around ;) Society is in some way responsible for the ills that befall it and so have to pay for the delinquents.

Even if the pregnancy was an accident, there is a conscious choice to go through with it. Secondly, there is a conscious choice to have unprotected sex if not planning for a baby. If a parent delivers a child then I count that as implicit commitment to raise a child unless they give it up for adoption. Whomsoever adopts a child or plans a pregnancy as direct commitment to raise a child.

Poor parenting is responsible for a lot of issues we face today. Children are either coddled and sheltered to grow up out of touch with reality and unable to discern fact from fiction or think on their own. Or they are ignored left to nannies, video games, television without any care or attention given to how they grow.

I'm all for a social shift. Parenting is not for everyone and it is high time society accepted that. But it is high time we also emphasized that parenting is a huge responsibility not to be taken lightly. Not ready. Don't do it. The world won't be worse off with a few less children.

Nice topic!

I believe that when children are young and helpless, parents take the responsibility of taking care of us. When our parents grow old it is our duty to return the favor. We should take care of them. This doesn't necessarily mean that you have to live with your parents as you never know where the future might take you. But you should financially support your parents and spend time with them. I volunteer at a retirement home. The people there seem very content and into the activities that take place. But they do miss their families a lot. I've gotten "you're about the same age as my granddaughter" before and they say how much they like it when young people volunteer here. This tells me that they do miss their families a lot and wish to spend time with their son/daughter and their grandkids. So according to me a person should financially and emotionally support their parents when they are old. I hope my rambling made sense. 😆

Even if the pregnancy was an accident, there is a conscious choice to go through with it. Secondly, there is a conscious choice to have unprotected sex if not planning for a baby. If a parent delivers a child then I count that as implicit commitment to raise a child unless they give it up for adoption. Whomsoever adopts a child or plans a pregnancy as direct commitment to raise a child. 

If it is a conscious choice of the person to undergo unprotected sex and have a child why  should that person's parents be obliged to bail her out? 
They would be within their rights if they wish to give priority to their own convenience . 
It should be her parents choice if they want to or dont want to be burdened with their pregnant child and later her baby all against their advice. Adoption is definitely  a commitment .

If it is a conscious choice of the person to undergo unprotected sex and have a child why  should that person's parents be obliged to bail her out? 
They would be within their rights if they wish to give priority to their own convenience . 
It should be her parents choice if they want to or dont want to be burdened with their pregnant child and later her baby all against their advice. Adoption is definitely  a commitment .

Because the parents made a conscious choice to have a child. I think it is the primary responsibility of the parents to ensure that their children have a good upbringing and make wise choices. If the child is underage and got pregnant one or more of the following situations took place

1)      The parents were not aware of the child's activities

2)      The parents did not have the child engaged enough

3)      The parents were not very involved with the child's life

4)      The parents did not have a talk to the child about sex and responsibility

I don't know how it works in India but in most countries the welfare system supports teen moms, orphaned/abandoned children, teenage delinquents etc. The welfare system is in turn funded by tax dollars of responsible tax paying citizens. Sometimes it is a vicious cycle of bad parenting begetting bad parenting. I don't like the idea of my hard earned money funding irresponsible losers. Either take care of your offspring and all their issues or don't have one. Do not burden the system with your incompetency.

If the child is an adult then the parents don't need to bother. But as long as the child is the parents responsibility, I think parents ought to deal with it. Don't want to deal with pregnancy, get an abortion - teenagers shouldnt be moms anyway.