Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Lumos thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

Alright, here I go first...

I really didn't know where to begin given there is so much to talk...

I'll flag off with one of the most influential lines(among others) that's left a deep impact in me...by none other than the man with half-moon glasses...

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."- (Dumbledore to Harry in Dobby's Reward, CoS)

Simple lines yet profoundly meaningful.

Dumbly tried to point that Voldy was 1000 times more capable than Harry. Yet his choice was to fall over the wrong side.

Harry wasn't comparatively capable, yet his one right choice(to always be on the good side) made him win over Voldy and establish peace of the Land.

I find so many successful persons around and a very human thought occurs to me- I think I'm much more capable than them, then why is that I'm not there where they are?

Next, I re-read the lines and the insight comes gushing to me. CHOICES.

If we look around, majority of successful persons have made the right choices, though they may not be completely capable. An average student tops the exam, whereas the brilliant ones lag behind. Why?..Answer is simple- Choices. The choice being to meticulously work hard. The choice being to take risks. The choice being to march forth courageously. The choice being never to doubt oneself. The conviction being that it would be one's choices alone that would set and nurture one's abilities.

To me this has turned quite a number of things in my favour. When we question our own abilities or judge others, we immediately form an opinion(and majority times its a negative one) and thereby base our actions on it. Instead, if we base our action on our choices, we would be free and take on the world grand. 

Now next important question is, what is the right way to base one's choices on?..i'll answer this is next post...till then...what do you guys have to say?😊

^ Good one Ani ! ..👍🏼
Yeah..one of the most valuable lessons in HP.. "CHOICES"...

It is our decisions & choices that make us who we are... it is easy to sit back & blame everything on god , fate & faulty destiny but it takes immense efforts of every kind to take matters into one's own hands & shape up one's own destiny & make your own name...it would have been only too easy for Harry to believe that he was somehow inherently evil due to his much too deep connection with Voldermort ( which at one point he did believe so) & it would have been only too easy for him to accept that he was fighting for a lost cause & that he might as well surrender to a force much much skilled than him...but ultimately it was the 'choices' that he made that set him apart from Voldermort..no amount of mind connection with the evil entity was enough to make him evil , no amount of intimidation from the stronger dark forces against a teenager was enough to make him surrender..bcoz ultimately, it all comes down to "choices"... Harry, Dumblebore , Voldermort & everybody else in the book & in the real world is the consequence of one's own "choices"... 
Lumos thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Quixotic5

^ Good one Ani ! ..👍🏼

Yeah..one of the most valuable lessons in HP.. "CHOICES"...

It is our decisions & choices that make us who we are... it is easy to sit back & blame everything on god , fate & faulty destiny but it takes immense efforts of every kind to take matters into one's own hands & shape up one's own destiny & make your own name...it would have been only too easy for Harry to believe that he was somehow inherently evil due to his much too deep connection with Voldermort ( which at one point he did believe so) & it would have been only too easy for him to accept that he was fighting for a lost cause & that he might as well surrender to a force much much skilled than him...but ultimately it was the 'choices' that he made that set him apart from Voldermort..no amount of mind connection with the evil entity was enough to make him evil , no amount of intimidation from the stronger dark forces against a teenager was enough to make him surrender..bcoz ultimately, it all comes down to "choices"... Harry, Dumblebore , Voldermort & everybody else in the book & in the real world is the consequence of one's own "choices"... 

i agree completely...

@bold: YES! that points to another charasteristic..The COURAGE of a Gryffindor...the roar of a lion..when a lion roars, all cup. all of us must imbibe being a true Gryffindor at all times 😊
ANOTHER LESSON : " Friendship, Faith, Second Chances , Forgiveness"  

I dunno," said Ron. "Sometimes I've thought, when I've been a bit hacked
off, he was having a laugh or"or he just wanted to make it more difficult. But
I don't think so, not anymore. He knew what he was doing when he gave me
the Deluminator, didn't he? He"well," Ron's ears turned bright red and he
became engrossed in a tuft of grass at his feet, which he prodded with his toe,
"he must've known I'd run out on you."
"No," Harry corrected him. "He must've known you'd always want to come
back."

The above lines are from the final book in the series wherein Ron is feeling guilty about running out on his friends & Harry provides a whole new perspective in the matter..

P.S. if anybody wants to  add or delete few more lessons in this context, then by all means feel free to do so..😊

Edited by Quixotic5 - 9 years ago
Aru_A thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: Lumos

thank you for your consent Aru_A( ur good name pls? 😊). 😊

thats exactly how i feel too about HP...non-HPheads mock me for reading a "children's fantasy novel". Earlier i used to get angry and hurt.. But Now, i pity them and sympathise with them for the colossal knowledge they are obviously oblivious to.
I earnestly try to explain that HP to me is an EPIC. Something that relates to each one of our lives in some way and something that's smothered with immense teachings.
There is a hard-core world of reality that exists behind the magical veil..one simply needs to possess the "Inner Eye"😉 to look beyond...

Originally posted by: Lumos

Aru i loved your siggy tag..very inspiring and beautiful lines... :)

thank u so much Lumos(wud like to know ur name too...)
I am Aru...i'm new to this forum...
Harry Potter series is actually an epic. I agree with each and every word u said. Its actually pitiful that people just look at HP series as a children's fantasy...coz they do not have the tiniest of idea of the magical world that lies beyond the pages of those books...the magic that can change lives...they really don't have the Inner Eye😉...there is so much...more than that can be imagined...it is treasure...it simply can't be desribed in words...its so magnificient and vast...

as for the siggy...even i love it...takes me back to my own life...and finally makes me smile n realize...
thank u... :)
libsrocks thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
nice thread...personally i feel HP books are one of those books who teach us many thing with fun
The very big lesson is your life is as u make it
Harry had a miserable life where he had been constantly abused by his relatives and never really known love but when he joined Hogwarts he was very much open towards relations like friendship and love...despite having a very negative life Harry never lost hope in relations which made him much better than Voldemort...Harry won not becoz he was some powerful wizard but becoz he had a powerful will to remain positive and embrace the positivity in life 
So i can say that what i learned from HP is to make your views on life better if u want to make your life better 
Other important lessons are like friendship but it mostly depends on luck becoz not every gets lucky enough to have friends like Ron and Hermoine
CaptainSpark thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
I have been inspired by Harry Potter every time I was in problem. All of Dumbledore's lines are so so inspiring. I truely believe in his quote..

"It is our choices that make us what we are today far more than our abilities."

This inspired me so much. It really explains. We can do a lot of things. I can murder someone if I wish to. But would it be right? When we want something, we think of all the possible ways to get it, or solve our problem. But after we choose one, how many of us actually think if that is right or not? Sometimes we should choose the other way round.

And this one is my all time favourite.

"Do not pity the dead Harry. Pity the living and above all those who live without love."

Life is not only about pitying. Living is much more tough than just dying. We can all die. But the one who will live to face the problems in order to live life are actually the ones who deserve success. So, we should not mourn for the dead. They are gone. Free. Far away from all this. But think of somebody who lives. Lives and lives.. its painful.

And ofcourse,

"It is difficult to stand up against your enemies, but its even more difficult to stand up against your friends."

Lastly my two more favourites..

"Happiness can be found at the darkest of times only if one remembers to turn on the light."

"It is a curious thing Harry, but perhaps, power best suits only to those who never sought it."
CaptainSpark thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
But the line which will always give me peace in mind is this one... forever and always.

"Whether you come back by page or by big screen, Hogwarts will ALWAYS be there to welcome you HOME."

Thank you J.K Rowling for this line. And Harry Potter, nothing could be as dear to me as much as you ARE and always WILL BE.
ExpectoPatronum thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
'There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other'
'If you want to see the true measure of a man, watch how he treats his inferiors, not his equals'
These two sentences, I just love them! JKR doesn't know how many people are influenced because of her work!!!
ExpectoPatronum thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
The inscriptions on The mirror of erised "Erised stra ehru oyt ube cafru oyt on wohsi" if read backwards says "I show not your face but your heart's desire" trust JK to come-up with something like this!!! Hats off to her 👏Edited by ExpectoPatronum - 9 years ago