SUICIDE - is it still a EPIDEMIC?

Posted: 9 years ago
Teen Pregnancy was a hot discussion, let's proceed with Suicide.  Why is it still common in the world?  If you do try to hurt yourself, there are strict laws.  You can go to jail or be hospitalized.  Our loved ones intervene, but they can only do so much.  SUICIDE - is it still a EPIDEMIC?  Please share your thoughts.  ðŸ˜²

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Noone has any opinion on this issue?  ðŸ˜Š
Angel-likeDevil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Suicide is a complexxx issue.

Sometimes, I feel, suicide shouldnt be an issue at all... the man didnt value his life, wanted to end his life, thats that. Nothing to talk about.. nothing for us to bother about a man who doesnt value his life.

But that's a narrow view.. suicide is the society's responsibility. Society here begins with parents to everyone/everything till the state. It is the states duty to keep it's citizens happy, so, I feel this issue should be handled more carefully...instead of jailing, the survivers must be counselled, given therapy, etc. Afterall, state must do it's part. As society, we have to be more considerate to our fellow human beings in general.. some positive gesture to someone might strike their heart, you never know. If you(people in general) see a person in distress or something, try showing warmth without asking them anything. Compassion works wonders. If the person is close to you, and you come to know about a person's cause of stress, try to watch him closely, counsel them, make them feel valuable, etc...  Same goes to parents, relatives, and everyone!

But alas, not many have the time, neither do distressed recieve in a way that'd make a difference to them. Plus, most of the times one doesnt have a clue before someone commits suicide.

But, as a society, we can do our part as well.. nothing to lose :)

Sometimes, I feel people who commit suicide must be punished a little besides all the counselling(by the state) for this might be emulated by other people in fit of thoughtless rage. Your action in society has much impact on your fellow human beings.
anael24 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
suicide mainly occurs to depressed people
i too had given it a thought countless times...so just let me share my experience
i will always feel compressed and pressurised...nobody understands me nor try to...i think the most painful is that i expect my mom..which is normal as we girls find peace mostly in our moms hands...but for my case i never had faith in her nor will i trust her..be it for mere issues or important ones...i think this has been more painful for me..that when you are lost and looking for comfort you cant find it...and there were nights after big fights with my parents..i would lock myself in my room...cry all the tears i could...swear at god..plead him...cursing myself and ofc willing to die..not surviving this tremendous night i would endure...i can recall that night where i asked god.."please take me away from this world,i dont want to live,take me far away.." then i would remember one thing that has maintained most of my faith in god...its something very important to me and its a dearest dream...then ultimately i just said "god if i survive this night, if you have faith in myself as a human being then wake me up tomorrow with a stronger will to live and realise this dream, and never let me down...because you only can give me all the faith,strength,courage,will and love the live..."

i think suicides attack the ones who dont have enough faith in god...i dont follow my religion but i do believe in god! i have never taken the step 2 because i think that even if i couldnt share all this with my best friends or mom...one person did give me a consolation and he is GOD only...
in our lives we must believe in something to stregthened ourselves and god is the best person...
Yes Suicide is still an Epidemic.
Sharing the following from a recent newspaper-

1. According to the NCRB report 'Accidental Deaths and Suicides in India 2012', trouble in the family is the most common reason for people killing themselves. Family trouble accounted for 25.6 %, or 30,792, of all suicides in the country in 2012. The bureau also cited familial discord as the main cause of suicide in 2011, when NCRB put the number at 32,909

2. After family problems, terminal illness is one of the biggest reasons for people to take the extreme step," said P V Sankaranarayanan, a counsellor at suicide prevention organisation SNEHA, which also operates a helpline. He said most of the calls they receive are from those who are bedridden or in pain. "They feel guilty for being a burden on their families. They think no one understands their pain," he said, adding that the number of such suicides could be higher as families tend to cover it up as natural death.

3. The number of people with cancer committing suicide has seen a significant jump, with Kerala taking the lead with 155 such cases. Dr C S Mani of Cancer Research and Relief Trust said patients who come to him feel "setbacks" at multiple levels: during diagnosis, when they have a relapse and when they are recommended palliative care."There comes a point when there is no cure as chemotherapy and medication have proved ineffective. That's when we treat just the symptoms and wait for the disease to take over. Sometimes death is quick, at times it is long and painful," said Dr Mani. "For many, the fear of pain takes over and suicidal tendencies creep in."

Originally posted by: Angel-likeDevil

Sometimes, I feel people who commit suicide must be punished a little besides all the counselling(by the state) for this might be emulated by other people in fit of thoughtless rage. Your action in society has much impact on your fellow human beings.

Could you please clarify why you feel that they should be punished?

Originally posted by: zorrro

Could you please clarify why you feel that they should be punished?

Becauuuse, it would have an impact on the young or small immature children/youth. Yes, suicide - the thought of ending life needs no examples from others... YET, people are influenced by an act of suicide - subconsciously or otherwise. Why do we see so many people 'hanging themselves'??! I had been frustrated myself many a times, a man in true frustration would never have the mind to find a rope/sheet, tie it to the ceiling and then put a stool and carry out the act like he's fixing a ceiling fan...  It has become a sort of perversion I must say.. I simply find such incidents too silly.

Plus, a mild punishment can deter already frustrated people from 'attempting'. Most people do not attempt with the intention to die, or everyone would succeed, would leave no scope for escaping death. These people arent to be trusted(sorry if I am sounding rude)

Zorro, (I believe what Dostoyevsky says), he says, people never intend to die while commiting suicide, they do, EVERYONE at one point or the other wishes they disappear, leave this world, just vanish... but in the fit of anger, when people 'attempt', most of the times it is the sheer attempting that backfires...it's something VERY psychological. 'Death' is the most extreme thing, perhaps the only big thing that could happen to anyone, so those that wish to die, want something extreme in the hope to release themselves from their life. A man holds a knife and some sort of anxiety overpowers him, and in that anxiety(+ the numerous other frustrations) he kills himself... it's incidental, thoughtless. Anyways, this isnt the point...and maybe I am confusing you.

I pity those others, who cut their wrists, bite their tongue or scrape their skin with their own nails or something in their hand .. Now this is what looks realistic, it's believeable. Man in frustration cannot have his mind working is what I believe. 

Also, I may not be right and neither can I clarify, but there is a reason why the law in India imprisons them. I'd like to know what is the reason behind that though.. Main reason might be detering people from attempting.
It's the state that has to protect it's people, committing suicide is bad for the individual himself and those around him. Maybe this is the way state shows responsibility to everyone by jailing the victim.. but jailing alone wouldnt do, they have to be given counselling as well... I envision something more like giving tutelage to the victim away from the society that didnt help the victim. (that's what I meant by punishment, and that's what it should be) 'Taking care under the garb of punishment' 😆

Thanks for all that effort!  I think you are referring to people who repeatedly attempt suicide but fail each time. That can be annoying but also could be  a cry for attention or help.  Suicides are usually committed out of depression or frustration so  I doubt if any form of punishment would help.  

Originally posted by: zorrro

Thanks for all that effort!  I think you are referring to people who repeatedly attempt suicide but fail each time. That can be annoying but also could be  a cry for attention or help.  Suicides are usually committed out of depression or frustration so  I doubt if any form of punishment would help.  

PUNISHMENT - only as a deterent against those that cry for attention, etc. Punishment makes a man think you know 😆 Edited by Angel-likeDevil - 9 years ago
iMini thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Attempting suicide a majority times means you're upset and need attention over an issue people aren't paying as much attention over as much they should.Majority of such people don't really want to die.
It can also be a consequence of mental illness/es.It is an epidemic. Lakhs of people suicide each year.