Isn't age just a number? How regressive are you?

Posted: 9 years ago
Sometimes I think we still live in the stone age when we start to define age as the absolute. Actors or actresses at a certain age are "uncle's" and "aunty's" - they should not continue to act.

I would like to believe that actresses look good as they get older. Look at Cameron Diaz, Aishwarya Rai. These are women that maintain their looks and their health better than some of us in our 20's.

Steven Speilberg got a degree in 2002. James Franco reenrolled in UCLA in 2006 as an English major. They never let age define or stop them from their passion, their joy of learning.

Isn't age just a number for anything you do in life? What do you think?
Edited by AppleCider - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

thegameison thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
The sociocultural context of our country defines the basic sociocultural context of Bollywood. Both are obviously much different from those of Hollywood. Age doesn't stop them from doing anything. They get married at 50 and remarry twelve times before they turn 60, metaphorically speaking. You go look in your neighborhood and you'll find mothers and prying aunties going pale with worry for all their 20 year old daughters, give or take a couple of years. By the time they are in their mid-thirties, the part of their lives that mattered is considered over. And this can be correlated with the age difference between present-day heroes and their heroines in Bollywood. 🤓

Aishwarya Rai is an exception. So is Vidya Balan but then that's because she's not that mainstream. The other old actresses, where are they? Lawsuits and marriages and reality TV? 🤡
Edited by epiphany. - 9 years ago
not.here thumbnail
Hi I hope you don't mind if I join in.

Personally I don't think age is a restriction to anything (unless you're under 18 or certain age bars set for legal reasons). Unless your health, resources, beliefs etc. stop you from achieving some goal you can pretty much aim for a myriad of goals.

I feel it is a state of mind and speaking personally sometimes I feel older than I am, and sometimes younger.

In certain industries where the youthful look is required such as the movie industries then age becomes a bar sometimes as younger people are considered more youthful and or beautiful. This is especially for actresses I have noticed. In the Bollywood films it is not uncommon to find an older actor with a young actress (possibly they're children's age sometimes). After some time older actresses are given mother or supporting roles but the older actor can still be a hero.

Perhaps then the connection with age and beauty is one of causes of this issue?

In terms of films I wonder if characters were written that did not require a youthful look, or an actor was chosen in regards to if they could fully justify the role not just in terms of appearance the issue could be resolved. Of course a warm reception by the audience in promoting such would be great and much helpful to amend the discrepancy in films and society.

Life really begins later than 20 when you have found your feet :)

Angel-likeDevil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Age is just a number, I know.. sometimes a 20 year old will act and behave like a 60 year-old, sometimes like a 40 year old and sometimes the same person will behave like a 4 year old...

Speaking of actresses, I think when Bollywood would evolve for better, i.e. when it'd start making some meaningful films, we would definitely see people acting their age, given suitable roles without disposing them off.
not.here thumbnail

Originally posted by: Angel-likeDevil

Age is just a number, I know.. sometimes a 20 year old will act and behave like a 60 year-old, sometimes like a 40 year old and sometimes the same person will behave like a 4 year old...

Speaking of actresses, I think when Bollywood would evolve for better, i.e. when it'd start making some meaningful films, we would definitely see people acting their age, given suitable roles without disposing them off.

I definitely agree it depends on the film because a good story line itself can sometimes pull off a film and then if the right people are cast, it will be even better. 

If it was not just an item dance, beauty driven industry as it is for actresses today (which at times I feel like it is) then issues about roles and casting would not occur. 

However changing a mindset requires a lot of time so I am not sure when the change will come about, nevertheless the seeds can be sown to achieve it in our time. 
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
 I hate people who say "Age is just a number" " Age is clearly a word.😛
LovelyPlanet thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Downside is no one wants their body to grow older(no one minds the brain), upside is one learns life's lessons as they get older.
SRKian_ thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Age isn't just a number. Ask someone who is aging.the actress who is getting older. the normal person who are getting wrinkles.With each passing year we are closing in on the wrath of being old.

Old age consists of ages nearing or surpassing the life expectancy of human beings, and thus the end of the human life cycle. Euphemisms and terms for old people include, old people (worldwide usage), seniors (American usage), senior citizens (British and American usage), older adults (in the social sciences), the elderly, and elders (in many cultures including the cultures of aboriginal people). Old people often have limited regenerative abilities and are more prone to disease, syndromes, and sickness than younger adults. The organic process of ageing is called senescence, the medical study of the aging process is gerontology, and the study of diseases that afflict the elderly is geriatrics.The elderly also face other social issues such as retirement, loneliness, and ageism (Wiki)

age is not just a number its tough and bothersome.

So the reaction of public towards the actresses getting old is quite understandable.
LovelyPlanet thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: .McFlurry.

Age isn't just a number. Ask someone who is aging.the actress who is getting older. the normal person who are getting wrinkles.With each passing year we are closing in on the wrath of being old.

Old age consists of ages nearing or surpassing the life expectancy of human beings, and thus the end of the human life cycle. Euphemisms and terms for old people include, old people (worldwide usage), seniors (American usage), senior citizens (British and American usage), older adults (in the social sciences), the elderly, and elders (in many cultures including the cultures of aboriginal people). Old people often have limited regenerative abilities and are more prone to disease, syndromes, and sickness than younger adults. The organic process of ageing is called senescence, the medical study of the aging process is gerontology, and the study of diseases that afflict the elderly is geriatrics.The elderly also face other social issues such as retirement, loneliness, and ageism (Wiki)

age is not just a number its tough and bothersome.

So the reaction of public towards the actresses getting old is quite understandable.

well its not miserable to get older as you are portraying. Studies have shown older people to be happier, see this http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/age-brings-happiness/

Happiness is indeed state of mind, as mind develops, people learn to be happy. Not bad trade off at all.😃