Debate Mansion

Sexual Objectification of Women--when will it stop?

simikr thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 9 years ago
Though I'd like to watch mainstream Indian movies--I get turned off from doing so right from the get go-- the trailer! 
Why? Because of the sexual Objectification of women-- the same old stuff in a new bottle.. 

In the past it was women being kidnapped by the villain, stripped and raped.. Now it is them slugging down bottles of beer or hard liquor (several more than the guys) and having premarital sex--- watch the 'Humpty Sharma ki Dulhaniya' trailer. 

The girl appears to be trying to tell the guy-- 'I'm so much hotter and bolder (read) modern and progressive than you are'-- oh C'mon! That's oh so not 21st century -- please give us a break! 

If that's supposed to pull in the crowds-- yes it very well may Mr. Karan Johar, but what are you conveying to the young men and women out there? That this is what a 'modern and forward thinking Indian woman is supposed to be like?' And if she doesn't drink or says no to premarital sex she isn't cool or 'hot' enough? In other words she becomes a 'Behenji'?' 

You exploited us before and you're exploiting us now.

When is this immature and subversive trend going to stop? 

When are you going to give us the credit we deserve? 

Hope it happens sometime soon! 

Thanks! 

Simi 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

not.here thumbnail
I was thinking along the similar lines OMG

What if a girl doesn't drink, doesn't want to wear short clothes and party hard is she not cool enough?

What is wrong with a behenji anyways in any culture or society?

Most parents may like a down to earth partner for their child.

But it is people's own choice how they want to live or act out their life so I am not bashing anybody at all.

simikr thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: AryaDrayCoByrne

What if a girl doesn't drink, doesn't want to wear short clothes and party hard is she not cool enough?

But it is people's own choice how they want to live or act out their life so I am not bashing anybody at all.

Agree..there's nothing wrong with Behenji. But why use the term in such a degrading manner? 

not.here thumbnail
I wonder how that term came about?

Is it similar to a guy being called bhaiyya by a girl he likes.

I don't get why showing lots of skin equals being sexy or how?

Maybe I like grace, intelligence and honesty more. As a girl I wish I had more grace. I am clumsy in that department.

There should be a fair representation. All skin colours, sizes (healthy of course) and types of women as well as fashions.

I am old school I guess
simikr thumbnail

I wonder how that term came about?

Is it similar to a guy being called bhaiyya by a girl he likes.

I don't get why showing lots of skin equals being sexy or how?

Maybe I like grace, intelligence and honesty more. As a girl I wish I had more grace. I am clumsy in that department.

There should be a fair representation. All skin colours, sizes (healthy of course) and types of women as well as fashions.

I am old school I guess

I guess it's how certain guys like to define girls who aren't the short skirt wearing, partying, or sexually liberated types---it fits their regressive and patriarchal mind set. 
not.here thumbnail
Hmmm I see

Liberation doesn't require wearing skimpy outfits.

That's fine I guess for some guys. Hopefully there are ones with My mind set around.

Also is there really a need to show very intimate scenes in films and on TV? It makes me uncomfortable.

Also item numbers confuse me. The lyrics of some songs when you actually understand them are quite unsettling

Edited by AryaDrayCoByrne - 9 years ago
First of all , I am no woman but as a guy I can say one thing 4 sure, women do like it when they are objectified,most of them do objectify themselves( showing off bras n stuff like that)..but the problem occurs when it is done in a grotesque,demeaning & degrading way.. women have been objectified since ages..and now they are getting bored of the over enthusiasm (indecency) that has been heaped upon them since ages...but the thing is even women wouldnt want the objectification to completely stop coz it is taken as an insult if guys r not into you that way & if they are ,it is shown through objectification..this kind of mentality is hard to get rid off..as far as men are concerned, what needs to be taken care of is that certain lines shouldnt b crossed, for example making a woman uncomfortable by staring/brooding at her ( some like it whereas others dont, u need to be smart to pick on these signals), eve teasing and more extreme things like rapes...however such evil things r born out of criminal/wicked tendencies 😡, objectification is fine, every guy objectifies some or the other girl (who he is attracted to) in his mind..but we cant label all these guys indecent or criminals 4 that..god I hope not..

You exploited us before and you're exploiting us now.

When are you going to give us the credit we deserve? 

I hope this "you" includes both men & women ...bcoz women are just as guilty as men in this case..self objectification is rampant nowadays..and this tendency is born out of an insane desire to win physical approval.. a lot of people especially women r too much into their looks now days (which is pretty evident in the thriving beauty & cosmetics industry worldwide) & they do whatever they can to win approval( even botox,silicon implants), or rather lusty approval from men & this is y i wish people would stop using the "behenji" tag bcoz such tags r designed to hurt the self esteem of women folk keeping in mind that most of them value themselves with respect to their ability to attract male attention..however this is a strictly two way street..while women end up doing crazy things to attract male attention which sometimes even turns into unwanted attention, men too do a lot of crazy things to win the approval of females & peers..even that is ok as long as it doesnt create problems 4 u & others around u..anything in excess is counterproductive & destructive..  
Edited by Quixotic5 - 9 years ago

@ bold

nope.. truth to be told most men would consider such girls for one night stands and not 4 getting married or to be settled with , just as woman would consider a good looking guy with no money for a one night stand and not 4 getting married..it sounds incredibly shallow but sadly thats the truth..men value beauty, dignity & loyalty the most in their stable life partner whereas women value position,power & money  the most in their stable partner..

a girl would mostly do such things out of peer pressures , so her girl-friends r to b blamed 4 pressurizing her..

not.here thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: Quixotic5

@ bold

nope.. truth to be told most men would consider such girls for one night stands and not 4 getting married or to be settled with , just as woman would consider a good looking guy with no money for a one night stand and not 4 getting married..it sounds incredibly shallow but sadly thats the truth..men value beauty, dignity & loyalty the most in their stable life partner whereas women value position,power & money  the most in their stable partner..

a girl would mostly do such things out of peer pressures , so her girl-friends r to b blamed 4 pressurizing her..

Firstly thank you for your view.

I agree with some points.

I agree sometimes women want to appear attractive to others and men too. Whether they want to be objectified might not be the same. It depends on what objectified means to them. I also agree tags should not be used either.

I don't like the idea of one night stands. I do agree friends are very influential. Having friends who let you be you and don't pressure you to do things you object to is a plus. Also having confidence to say no when you feel like your personal limits are being crossed is a bonus.

As for the qualities in a long term partner (which could be its own thread) should apply to both as I believe both men and women look for those in their partners. They are shallow sometimes , but people take a long time to decide (with serious thought) about who to marry as marriage is usually expected to last a long time. Financial Stability (the person doesn't have to be amazingly rich, well not in my view), attractiveness (not just physically but like I said it depends on people's own preference), loyalty and respected by others are just a few.

Seeing a lot of promotion of a narrow set of qualities as being beautiful can side line others who are not physically attractive.

One thing that puzzled me was why love stories in movies are between physically attractive people. Maybe some should be made on people who don't look physically attractive and have flaws. But probably people wouldn't watch it. I don't know.

I also think it will take a long time to stop the objectifying of women and men ( I mean not all guys need muscles and a six pack either) and erase the mind set.

maha2us thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Hi Arya, You say, 'As a girl I wish I had more grace. I am clumsy in that department.' 
Please don't degrade yourself. You have your own good qualities within you. Just practice being more accepting to yourself and you will get more grace. I guess you are a sincere person and you only want good for others. That way, you can cherish yourself. You are a love able person. But you have to accept this yourself.