Sports/Cricket

WORLD CUP NEWS - Keep Posting + Discussing - Page 4

ashdgr8 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 9 years ago
Arjen Robben says 'I'm tired of this bull****', having faced strong criticism after admitting diving during Holland's World Cup win against Mexico in the last 16

Arjen Robben has said he is tired of people criticising him after he admitted diving during Holland's last-16 win against Mexico. 

The Dutchman appeared to be making a particular effort to stay on his feet during the World Cup quarter-final win against Costa Rica on Saturday, despite being fouled a number of times over the course of the 120 minutes. 

Speaking to Dutch broadcaster NOS after the match, he said: 'In recent days there has been a lot of talk about diving and actually I'm tired of this bull****.

'I don't want to blow my own trumpet, but I felt I was so good [against Costa Rica].'

He reserved some praise for Holland's other players, particularly substitute goalkeeper Tim Krul, who stopped spot-kicks from Bryan Ruiz and Michael Umana in the shoot-out to send Holland through to the last four.

'All praise and compliments to him,' said Robben. 'He saved two penalties and is now the hero of the Netherlands. I think that's fantastic.' 

Memphis Depay, who started the game for Louis van Gaal's side after impressing as a substitute in previous matches, said he lost his voice during the shoot-out as he cheered on his team-mates.

'I lost my voice a little bit from all the yelling at each penalty,' said the 20-year-old. 'Everyone held themselves together. We showed we are a very strong team.'

Holland face Argentina in their semi-final on Wednesday.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ashdgr8 thumbnail
Big call: Robben won a penalty in extra-time for this tackle from Mexico captain Rafael Marquez
ashdgr8 thumbnail
Public enemy: Robben has been criticised for going down under the challenge from Marquez
Public enemy: Robben has been criticised for going down under the challenge from Marquez

ashdgr8 thumbnail
Tumble: Robben is challenged by Michael Umana and Junior Diaz during Holland's World Cup quarter-final win
Tumble: Robben is challenged by Michael Umana and Junior Diaz during Holland's World Cup quarter-final win

ashdgr8 thumbnail
Giving his views: Robben in Holland training with Wesley Sneijder on Monday at Estadio Gavea in Rio
ashdgr8 thumbnail
Bold move: Goalkeeper Tim Krul replaced Jasper Cillessen ahead of the dramatic penalty-shootout

Bold move: Goalkeeper Tim Krul replaced Jasper Cillessen ahead of the dramatic penalty-shootout

ashdgr8 thumbnail

Argentina midfielder Javier Mascherano said he believes the Netherlands are faster and stronger than his team.

Alejandro Sabella's men face the Dutch in the FIFA World Cup semi-finals at the Arena de Sao Paulo on Wednesday. 

Argentina have claimed one-goal wins in each of their five matches in Brazil on their way to a first last-four berth since 1990. 

Mascherano said it would be crucial for his side to maintain possession, as they did in their 1-0 win over Belgium. 

"We will try to close them down, and not let them run. Because when they run, obviously, they are faster and stronger than us," the Barcelona man told a news conference. 

"And we have to keep the ball, control the play and try to choose the right moment to attack. It was what we did the other day against Belgium."

Defender Jose Maria Basanta said his team's upcoming matches would be tougher than anything they have faced thus far. 

The 30-year-old Monterrey defender feels the clash against the Netherlands, followed by a meeting with either Brazil or Germany, would be the biggest tests yet for his side. 

"We have to live day by day. Today, we are living a beautiful reality. It is up to us to make history," Basanta said. 

"Not only with the next match, we have to achieve the objective, keep working because the coming games will be more difficult than the last one, but we are focused mentally." 

ashdgr8 thumbnail

South America vs Europe in battle to reach the final:

All the lowdown on Brazil's clash with Germany and Holland's tie against Argentina in the last four of the World Cup

ashdgr8 thumbnail
  • Brazil take on Germany in first semi-final in Belo Horizonte

• Holland play Argentina in Sao Paulo on Wednesday
ashdgr8 thumbnail
BRAZIL VS GERMANY

The hosts are the most successful team in World Cup history and if they are to add to their five tournament wins they must get past a country becoming known for going far in major competitions without winning them. 

Head-to-head 

In their 21 meetings, Brazil have won 12 with Germany recording just four victories. They have faced each other just once in a World Cup, Brazil winning 2-0 in the 2002 final. But in their last match,, a friendly in August 2011, Germany won 3-2.

David Luiz celebrates scoring a free-kick against Colombia

What Brazil are worrying about...

They are missing their two best players " Neymar has a fractured vertebra in his back and centre back and captain Thiago Silva is suspended. The pair have been superb, Neymar providing the goals and flair and Silva dominating at the back.

What Germany are worrying about...

It could get messy. The Brazilians have been criticised for their brutal, aggressive style of play on the way to this semi-final.  They have committed the most amount of fouls in the tournament and have their midfield enforcer Luiz Gustavo back from suspension. The Germans will expect a few heavy challenges.

Germany beat France 1-0 at the Maracana in the quarter-finals

What the bookies say

It's close, but the bookies are giving Brazil (6/4), playing at home and more used to the conditions, the edge over Germany (9/5)

Where can I watch it? 

BBC One from 8.30pm  (kick-off 9pm).

Edited by ashdgr8 - 9 years ago