Posted: 19 years ago

Columbia Pictures Breaks "The Da Vinci Code"

from Columbia Pictures

Culver City - June 27, 2003

Columbia Pictures has secured the much sought after motion picture rights to Dan Brown's bestselling thriller "The Da Vinci Code," it was announced today by Amy Pascal, Chairman of Columbia Pictures, and John Calley, Chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment. "The Da Vinci Code" debuted at #1 on the New York Times Bestseller list and has remained near or at the top of the list for more than 14 weeks. "The Da Vinci Code" is Brown's second novel centering on Harvard professor of symbology Robert Langdon, who first appeared in his successful "Angels and Demons" published in 2000, and now on the paperback best seller list.

'Da Vinci' centers on one of the greatest mysteries of humankind, a 2000 year-old conspiracy, clues to which are encoded in the paintings of Leonardo Da Vinci.

Brown is currently at work on a third novel featuring Professor Langdon

Viewing "The Da Vinci Code" and the adventures of Professor Langdon as the basis for a potential franchise, Columbia also acquired the right to produce "Angels and Demons," and future Langdon properties.

"Dan Brown is a master storyteller who has created an amazingly visual page turner," said Calley. "'The Da Vinci Code' is a thrill ride unlike any that we have read or seen in a long, long time. The Robert Langdon character is a compelling hero and sleuth and we can't wait to bring this puzzle to the screen."

Edited by MysticaMagic - 19 years ago

I have already read "Angels and Demons" - BRILLIANT piece of work.

I cant wait to read the Da Vinci Code! I highly recommend these two books to anyone who enjoys an interesting and intelligent read.

If you don't fancy reading, you can watch the movies when they come out...I hope they make them as interesting as the books.

i read the da vinci code its pretty good

I'm reading it now...Dan Brown is an excellent writer - every single fact he uses in the book is accurate. He must have done a lot of research!
I read the Da Vinci code two months ago, it has some type of hold on the reader. You simply cannot put the book down, I love the way Dan Brown relies on facts to get his points across but I really don't think he is an excellent writer. His book is amusing to read but the writing itself isn't that noteworthy in my opinion. Wonderful book, nonetheless.

Well, you're right in the sense that his prose does not paint pictures in vivid colours or evoke the senses like the works of Arundhati Roy (NOT the one from JJKN) , Anita Desai or Ruskin Bond.

But, I honestly feel that keeping the reader hooked till the last page is the key to an excellent writer. The language or vocabulary may be very simple, but the narrative is what is most important.

wow mystica i love the way u write😉
No, that's not what I meant. He ties the plot up wonderfully but had he been incapable of writing The Da Vinci Code using 100% factual information then his book would've sucked. Completely.
Thats very true. I wouldn't have liked it as much if all the facts weren't accurate.
is it true that da vinci might have been gay?