Padfoot_Prongs thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 9 years ago
What do u think about this issue?  It's a very silly issue and UPSC wont give a damn about it. The english and maths in CSAT is of 10th standard. not a CAT or GMAT standard.
It is just another "running away from competition" and "delaying the exams tactics". Same as what happens in Bihar and UP PCS usually.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

charminggenie thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
@No idea about this one MM, but whatever I have read most of the complaints do tilt towards "delaying tactics". 
Shivam. thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
English &maths knowledge doesn't make a good administrative officer 
Padfoot_Prongs thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: charminggenie

@No idea about this one MM, but whatever I have read most of the complaints do tilt towards "delaying tactics". 

CG- take a look over this fact- last year there were nearly 200 results from regional languages. and UPSC is just printing it in Hindi only not in south languages. this was supposed to be an added advantage to Hindi students.
This year only the result is less and i wud blame Mains exam for tat not CSAT.

@RadhaKrishnan-  when 3 years back there was an individual subject exam with GS paper, people used to give negative feedback and all discrimination with one or two subject talks. Now for equality they introduced CSAT. and some basic english is required. India is so diverse. suppose one person from Bihar is posted in Tamil Nadu, will he force them to learn Hindi? tat was why a little english was introduced. and maths and english are used for Aptitude test like CAT, GMAT etc. for Administration skills they do have mains exam and interview. Prelims is just to remove the non-serious candidates. 

charminggenie thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
@MM - Heard there is dispute even in the Hindi translations. Unnecessary. I am not in favor of massive changes. Exam is suppose to test basic intent of the aspirants . With the kind of population we have like it or not ,competitive exams are the only effective ways of shortlisting the candidates. 
Padfoot_Prongs thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: charminggenie

@MM - Heard there is dispute even in the Hindi translations. Unnecessary. I am not in favor of massive changes. Exam is suppose to test basic intent of the aspirants . With the kind of population we have like it or not ,competitive exams are the only effective ways of shortlisting the candidates. 

U know tat point was supposed to be more controversial. the students wud have focussed more on this rather than scrapping of CSAT. That was real concern. the translation they do is typical google hindi translation - Laptop- written in Hindi as god soor. and tat is very hilarious as well as confusing. Rather focussing on this fact they just went for scrapping agenda. 
Gud part about UPSC is Politics can't force it much. 
IamTheBoss thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
i have a question if UPSC aspirant who is more intelligent then others were  unable to read that simple English comprehension which is about 10th standard level ?
mr.ass thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: .RadhaKrishnan.

English &maths knowledge doesn't make a good administrative officer 

it is a test of intelligence and communication
Angel-likeDevil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
CSAT shouldnt be done away with!!

English is necessary in a globalised world... not just globalised world, in India which is so linguistically diverse! If an IAS hopeful doesnt know basic english(it IS basic), how will he make executive orders, understand Constitution which is supposed to be the Bible for any civil servant??

And, besides, there are Provincial Civil Services for which one doesnt need any English... does the so-called aspirant want to serve the nation or just bag an IAS post? This is ridiculous.

I know the education system isnt uniform across the country, but if one aspirant cannot overcome the simple challenge of learning basic English, how can he think that he'd be fit to face bigger challenges after being taken into service, where he would have to act with a sense of urgency? There are sooo many 'spoken english classes' in every city, town, etc. Without any help also, one can learn, just by reading... and 1 year is more than sufficient for that. It's not like UPSC gives you 1 attempt, people have got 4/6/unlimited no of attempts for various sections, that itself should make one grateful to UPSC.

Coming to mental ability & math , it is needed to test the quickness, accuracy, which are required in such a big service with big responsibilies... when an officer goes through files, he has to review various statistics, that with quickness, if the statistics are right, etc. Yes, the subordinates are responsible for getting stats right, but it is a civil servant that has to sign a file. 
So what if Engineering students have an advantage over humanities students??? The former are not used to topics like history, governance, economy, etc...do we see them complaining?

Also, it's only students with "Hindi" background complaining, have we seen South Indians complaining, anytime? Infact there are South Indians that have a problem with both, Hindi and English ..

Anyways, I dont see these 'agitators' or other silent dissenters across India to be doing any better, even if UPSC decides to do away with CSAT. It's just their attitude or spirit that'd bring their downfall...

Edited by Angel-likeDevil - 9 years ago
-Desai- thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
now aspirant should left english comprehension questions