The Accidental Wife NOTE PLEASE READ -154 - Page 3

Posted: 9 years ago
Thank you all for the fabulous response despite lack of pms. Please continue doing so. I'm especially looking forward to your thoughts about the story as it moves along. It makes this effort of mine worthwhile. 
Will update soon! 

Thanks again. 

Simi 
Superb start! Loved reading your story. Please pm me and continue soon ... 
Originally posted by momi78

Superb start! Loved reading your story. Please pm me and continue soon ... 

Thank you. Please understand that I don't send pms. They take too much time. Sorry. Please bookmark this thread and keep checking back regularly.
Thank you all for the tremendous response and that too without pms! Please do continue!
Here's chapter 2:

2. THE GIRL

"Okay, my baby, whatever you wish. Just be sure that she can walk, and isn't a deaf mute. Tumhara koi bharosa nahin. (You cannot be trusted)  And haan, she should be Indian. Fine?"

"Mom you are crazy!" Rishabh exclaimed, roaring with laughter before ending the call.

Good, now she won't bother me for a while, he thought, switching his attention over to his tablet to review the details of the next case, when it struck him.

"Oh No! What have I done?" He staggered against his desk and sent the gadget along with several models of the brain and vertebral column crashing to the floor.

"Dr. Mehta... anything the matter?" Anna, his secretary popped her anxious strawberry blonde head inside his office, followed by her baby pink clad buxom figure. Rishabh had often wondered why his chief had opted for such a uniform. They ran a serious medical outfit not a spa! Perhaps it was a tool to put their anxious clientele at ease.

"Uh...my mom..." The words came tumbling out before he could stop them.

"Your mother? Is she unwell?"

No! She's perfectly fine. It's I who has taken leave of his senses! He wanted to yell out, instead he tried to train his lips into a serene smile, "No...  I just got off the phone with her and realized that it's her birthday tomorrow. And I haven't got her anything. Would you happen to have any suggestions?"

Anna smiled. Men! All those years of schooling never teaches them how to read a woman's heart. And young Dr. Mehta was no exception. In fact he seemed more clueless than all the others. Or wouldn't he have figured out by now that she Anna, his secretary had a massive crush on him!

Rishabh gave her an encouraging nod. Anna's brain ran a bit slow at times. He could have asked her to leave him alone but that would hurt her feelings. Besides he found her a good resource for a lot of things that a single guy knew nothing about, both at work and outside.

She opened her dark pink mouth. "Your mother must have already dropped hints. They always do. All you need is to give her what she wants."

Yeah! And die a premature death! Kahaan aake phas gaya yaar! (What a terrible fix have I got myself in!) He could picture his mother dialing up all her relatives and telling them the good news that mera Rishabh finally sudhar gaya (my Rishabh has finally reformed himself)! He also could picture all of them fawning over him. The very idea made his palms sweat.

Darn! I desperately need to get myself together! And I need some advice! He looked amiably at Anna, "Awesome suggestion. I'll work on it." He had made her day.

He stood up, "I'm going to take a shower, after that I'll be gone for lunch for about an hour. Do you mind taking any non-urgent messages? And please if my mother calls tell her I'm busy in the clinic." When he saw her frown, he explained with a wink, "I want to keep her guessing."

Dressed in fresh crisp garb, that included a tie and a jacket, Rishabh looked like the successful Wall Street Banker he wasn't. He felt uneasy and awkward. He was more at home in his surgical scrubs and the hospital cafeteria, not in this fancy schmancy restaurant which more befit the persona of his childhood friend who also happened to be his landlord--Rudra or Rudy as he preferred to be called. He was a stockbroker who worked in one of the big corporate banks and whose every minute was valued in millions.

They usually met every 3rd Thursday to exchange notes and make small talk but today Rishabh had called for an off schedule meeting. He needed advice and who better to dole it out than Rudy who'd finally bowed down to pressure and got hooked.

"No booze dost[SV1] ?"

"Nope! Can't afford to slice the wrong piece of brain. I have a case at two."

"Oh yes. You neurosurgeons and your smart BS!" Rudy laughed and downed his martini in a gulp. Signaling for another, he ogled at the big chested waitress.

Rishabh chuckled, "Remember you are married."

His friend frowned, appearing to seriously ponder on the statement, "I guess I am."

Rishabh grew perturbed, "I thought you were happy. Wasn't Shirin your girl?"

"Yes she was but now she's my wife. Huge difference!" Rudy exclaimed leaning forward, "let me tell you a secret. My hand was forced. She got pregnant."

"Uh huh..." Rishabh was well versed with his friend's escapades. This was bound to happen. "You did the honorable thing."

"Guess I did, but I wasn't prepared. Hell! Never before have I made so many excuses for not going home like I do now!" Rudy exclaimed with a wry laugh, then regarded his friend with admiration. "You're so lucky dude! I envy your freedom."

Rishabh shook his head unhappily. "No more. Mom fooled me into giving her my word."

"Really?" Rudy looked impressed. "Guess that's the price one pays for having parents. Congratulations!" He reached to shake Rishabh's hand. "So is it going to be that hot chick Renu who was all over you at my reception? I'd have fancied her myself if Shirin hadn't messed me up."

"Which Renu?"

Rudy burst into amused laughter, "You are blind. Truly blind. You missed a girl like that! She was Miss New Jersey or something, and man does she have curves! Okay then let your mom choose and live happily ever after with my blessings!" He concluded grinning widely.

"No! Never! I won't!" Rishabh declared with spirit.

Rudy looked puzzled, "What do you mean?"

"I can't get married to someone she chooses. I'll be finished. All those obligations, parties, demanding wife, in-laws. No, I'd rather kill myself."

"But that is what marriage is all about...compromise!"

Rishabh nodded. "Exactly. That's why I've run away from it this long. I don't want to compromise. I have no interest in assuming a role of a dutiful husband and son in law. What I want is somebody who will stay out of my way. Mind her own business while I mind mine."

"You don't need a wife. You need a servant."

"No..." Rishabh shook his head. "Don't get me wrong. I just want somebody who will understand me and my work. I just want to continue like I am now...with no distractions. She can do what she wants; kitty parties, poojas, [SV2] whatever. Just don't expect me to be a part of it. We'll get a bigger place. She'll have all the luxuries she wants."

Rudy who was listening keenly, said, "If that is so, I agree. You won't find a girl like that here. Even if you do, her family won't leave you alone."

"Then what am I to do?" Rishabh asked looking desperate.

"Maybe you'll find somebody back home?"

"Really?" Rishabh looked unconvinced. "Are girls less demanding there?"

"Well...that's for you to find out." Rudy said mysteriously. "Besides a guy like you is a dream catch. Any father would give his right hand to get a son-in-law like you. Plus the perk of coming here. Anyway that seems to be the only reasonable option for you, now."

"How am I supposed to find this wonderful girl? Fly to India and search with a bloody microscope?"

Rudy shook his head in mock disbelief, "Pal, haven't you heard of the world wide web?"

Mulling over Rudy's advice filled Rishabh with skepticism. It was ridiculous to assume a girl, especially someone who fit his requirements could be found online.  Perhaps Rudy was taking him for a fool just like his mother!

Rishabh bristled with poorly suppressed indignation as he flagged down a yellow cab and jumped in. First I fall into my wily mother's astutely set emotional trap and then my Casanova friend makes a mockery of me! What kind of idiot do they take me for? The cabbie had driven several blocks in the wrong direction before Rishabh realized where he was and asked him to turn around.

He tried to talk himself out of his quandary. "This won't do. I can't let petty things overtake me and curtail my life.  My work comes first. I can't let my patients down."

Feeling much calmer, he proceeded with the rest of his schedule and did not get home until very late.

Finally sitting in his favorite spot on the balcony, holding a barely touched glass of red wine in his hand, he contemplated the island of peace (the park) in the middle of the concrete jungle, and let his mind drift.

The two surgeries had gone well. He wondered what the biopsy would show on the tumor in Mr. Hirsh's head. The gross features had looked suspicious. He sighed. Doctors aren't always bearers of good news.

Not wanting to dwell on the morbid, he digressed toward something more cheerful. After finishing at the clinic he'd walked back to the hospital to check on the young boy's condition and was pleased to find him chatting up a storm with his friends. The kid was eager to get on his feet and to junior league baseball. Rishabh, delighted at his enthusiasm, had assured him that his wish would be granted soon. And just as he was about to leave, he was presented with a bouquet of fresh flowers. He couldn't have asked for anything more.

He closed his eyes and awaited wonderful restful sleep to overwhelm him. But it betrayed him just like it had yesterday. Well aware of the cause, he tried offering stubborn resistance by flipping over to his side and breaking out into loud song. The valiant effort didn't help, rather scared a couple of roosting doves off their perch.

"God help me. Mother I wish I could strangle you!" He cried before slouching back into the darkness of his living room. "I guess you won't let me sleep unless I do something about your bloody wishes!"

As he waited for the monitor of his laptop to come alive, he thought, Guess there's no harm in checking out Rudy's suggestion, even though whatever he says is too fantastic to be true.

Plugging India Matrimonial' into the search engine, he was struck by the numerous responses which popped up almost instantly.

His interest was sparked. Aside from a few, most results appeared to be fairly legitimate outfits. The usually traditional Indian wedding scene had now become commercialized. All the marriage brokers and pundits who relied on matchmaking as their primary source of income would have to pack up their bags and move to the Himalayas, he thought chuckling.

Soon he found himself immersed in the engaging activity of browsing through the huge databank of boys and girls seeking potential life partners. He was amazed at the variety he saw and surprised at the way they presented themselves, and how particular they were about the mate they sought. It appeared just like it was--a huge marriage market.

Finally after having amused himself enough, he fell fast asleep.

Over the next few days, Rishabh got down to serious business. He had to, having chosen to fulfill the actual purpose of the exercise.

He knew exactly the kind of person he was looking for. His requirements weren't many. Soon he had narrowed his search down to ten girls whom he thought may fit the bill:

1. Mid-twenties (Not too young or flighty.)

2. College educated.

3. A fairly agreeable personality.

4. Not averse to moving to the States.

5. Did not have huge expectations from the marriage and in particular from him. He didn't want to elevate hopes. He laid everything out in the open so they knew exactly what they were getting.

6. And the most important criteria of all- she should possess fairly ordinary looks; pretty enough to satisfy his mother but not stunning. He had no desire to be overwhelmed by his future wife's beauty. That would be an unnecessary distraction.

He ultimately zeroed in on one girl. She fit all the specs and amazingly also seemed empathetic with his POV. In all she seemed too good to be true but he pushed the uneasy notion aside.

Within the space of a week, the deal was almost sealed.

They chatted about it at 2 am his time on a Sunday.

She said, "Okay...so are we engaged?"

Engaged? Phew! Really? "I...guess we are unofficially." He replied.

"You can mail me the ring if you wish, but I really don't care about formalities!" She assured him with a bright smile.

"That's cool." He said while thinking at the same time; these Indian girls are quite tez[SV3] . Mom will be shocked!

"So when should we set the date?"

"Date? Ah..." The question threw him off. It was completely unexpected. In no hurry to tie the knot, he wanted to enjoy his bachelorhood a little longer. "6 months?" He suggested vaguely. That would give his mother enough time to make preparations to her hearts content.

"No." She doggedly shook her head. "Next month or the deal is off."

"What?" He sat up straight. "I...that's not possible."

Our family priest says that if I don't get married within the next month my father will die in a road accident." She said quite calmly.

"Is that right?" Damnit! His head had started to spin. He was losing control. It was unnerving. He tried to stall, "Don't your parents wish to talk to mine?"

"They can do so when they come here for the wedding. My parents have no objections. They love you already!" She replied reassuringly. "You know you are a dream catch!"

It was the 2nd time he had come across that description and he didn't like it at all. His eyes probed her face carefully in the monitor. She looked sincere enough. There appeared no reason to doubt her statements.

One needed to take chances in life, sometime or other.

She saw him waver, "Don't worry. It'll all go without a hitch. My parents are pros at arranging weddings. You don't have to do a single thing."

He glanced at his planner. "Uh  ...I am long due for a vacation. I can try to make it over there in a couple of weeks or so." He glanced at her, hoping she'd develop cold feet.

But she disappointed him by agreeing right away.

He could have said NO', and called the whole blasted thing off. But he didn't. Another girl like her would be hard to come by and he was already feeling worn out by the entire process.

"So we have a ...a date in 2 weeks or so. Till then take care" He said before signing off.

It was odd, but he wasn't experiencing any of the excited anticipation that a new bridegroom is supposed, while waiting for D Day. Instead he was filled with a strange dread. Perhaps he deserved it.

Rishabh consoled himself---his future wife Deepika, seemed realistic, mature and a lot more experienced in these matters than he was. If she could handle the stress, so could he.

But nothing would have prepared him for the shock that awaited him.

Edited by simikr - 9 years ago
Another fine update! Poor Rishabh ... from secretary to mom ... everyone after him! Lucky guy indeed!!
I guess will read about madhu in the next update. This update was awsome
Sorry the like button isn't working again!

Deepika? She seems very suspicious...is she related to madhu in any way? Will madhu be introduced soon? Please update soon!
Originally posted by momi78

Another fine update! Poor Rishabh ... from secretary to mom ... everyone after him! Lucky guy indeed!!

Lol! If you see it that way :)
Originally posted by aaliya14

I guess will read about madhu in the next update. This update was awsome

Let's wait and see and thank you :)
Originally posted by shweta2728

Sorry the like button isn't working again!

Deepika? She seems very suspicious...is she related to madhu in any way? Will madhu be introduced soon? Please update soon!

np 

Yes she does sound suspicious doesn't she? 
It'll be revealed soon. You know I love suspense ;) 
Edited by simikr - 9 years ago