Your Favorite Dystopian book?

Posted: 9 years ago
Wikipedia defines dystopia as a community or society that is in some important way undesirable or frightening. Such societies appear in many artistic works, particularly in stories set in a future. Dystopias are often characterized by dehumanization,totalitarian governments,environmental disaster, or other characteristics associated with a cataclysmic decline in society. Dystopian societies appear in many sub-genres of fiction and are often used to draw attention to real-world issues regarding society, environment, politics, economics, religion, psychology, ethics, science, and/or technology, which if unaddressed could potentially lead to such a dystopia-like condition.

Some of the popular Dystopian novels are 1984 by George Orwell, A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley or more recently The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins and Divergent series by Veronica Roth and many more.

Which is your most favorite Dystopian/Futuristic novel/series and why? 
Edited by zephyr29 - 9 years ago
Umm.. Can you explain what do we mean by a 'Dystopian Book' ?? :)
Originally posted by ..MereWhisper..

Umm.. Can you explain what do we mean by a 'Dystopian Book' ?? :)

I've just edited the main post with the description.

It's basically an imaginary futuristic society marked by miserable living conditions like poverty, terror, oppression, violence or disease. 

The Hunger Games, for example, is a dystopian novel

Would Divergent and The Giver count? O have read a few dystopian novels, and Divergent and The Giver are the ones that I liked. Unlike many, I haven't really liked the Hunger Games. I don't know why, but it just didn't click for me. On the other hand, I have loved Divergent and I just finished reading it sequel. The Giver was like a classic to me
Originally posted by samarth300

Would Divergent and The Giver count? O have read a few dystopian novels, and Divergent and The Giver are the ones that I liked. Unlike many, I haven't really liked the Hunger Games. I don't know why, but it just didn't click for me. On the other hand, I have loved Divergent and I just finished reading it sequel. The Giver was like a classic to me

Of course they would. 

I've always wanted to read The Giver and now the movie is also coming out soon.

I liked The Hunger Games but mostly the 1st and 2nd book Catching Fire, Mockingjay, on the other hand, was bloated crap and just felt like a very incomplete/rushed end to the series.

As for my favorite Dystopian novels I loved 1984 by George Orwell and A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
Originally posted by zephyr29

Of course they would.

I've always wanted to read The Giver and now the movie is also coming out soon.

I liked The Hunger Games but mostly the 1st and 2nd book Catching Fire, Mockingjay, on the other hand, was bloated crap and just felt like a very incomplete/rushed end to the series.

As for my favorite Dystopian novels I loved 1984 by George Orwell and A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

I heard about 1984, before. And I have only read the first book, and I was going to read the second book, but then I just forgot and stated reading another book. Almost everyone says that Mockingjay is terrible. Have you heard about The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau? It also a dystopian novel and is quite interesting.
Originally posted by samarth300

I heard about 1984, before. And I have only read the first book, and I was going to read the second book, but then I just forgot and stated reading another book. Almost everyone says that Mockingjay is terrible. Have you heard about The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau? It also a dystopian novel and is quite interesting.

Mockingjay was terrible. It reminded me of some of the shows - drags unnecessarily at the start/middle and then ends in a rush ðŸ¤”

I've watched the movie City of Ember which I really liked. It's the one about the deep underground city where only source of light is electricity, right?
Brave New World... first printed in 1932. An Utopian Dystopia... Can't think of a better term for this book. It was written during the time where promiscuousness was a taboo. So you can expect what this dystopian society would encourage its citizens.😆😆

City of Ember (sequels aren't as good as the first book)

The Hunger Games.

Sunset Rising... picked up this YA book reluctantly because I didn't want to read another deceptive love triangle novel, but it was good.

The handmaid's tale... Seen the movie. It's great but yet to read the book. It deals with some serious issues about oppressed women in the theocratic society.

The Hunger Games & Divergent <3
Is Dan Brown's Angels and Demons a dystopian book?