Your Favorite Dystopian book? - Page 2

Posted: 9 years ago
Originally posted by effinxn3k

Brave New World... first printed in 1932. An Utopian Dystopia... Can't think of a better term for this book. It was written during the time where promiscuousness was a taboo. So you can expect what this dystopian society would encourage its citizens.😆😆

City of Ember (sequels aren't as good as the first book)

The Hunger Games.

Sunset Rising... picked up this YA book reluctantly because I didn't want to read another deceptive love triangle novel, but it was good.

The handmaid's tale... Seen the movie. It's great but yet to read the book. It deals with some serious issues about oppressed women in the theocratic society.

I'm almost half-way through The Handmaid's Tale and it's pretty good so far. I like the way how the chilling reality of these women are narrated in a darkly humorous almost satirical manner.

Brave New World has long been on my TBR list but I have yet to get around to reading it 

Originally posted by Daydreaming

Is Dan Brown's Angels and Demons a dystopian book? 

No, that's more of a thriller dealing with history and the mysteries surrounding ancient secret societies and most importantly it's taking place in the present.

Dystopians mostly are about imaginary futures where society as a whole has broken down and life is miserable. We keep talking about what will happen if there is another World War / Nuclear War or a massive natural disaster, how we'd survive something like that. Dystopian fiction tries to imagine life after such events occur. 
Ah!! You mean something like Snowpiercer?

You mean the movie? Yeah that also comes under Dystopians
Divergent Triology
The Selection triology
Are the best i read.
Now about to start Delirium and Matched.
Originally posted by zephyr29

@red... that's one of the reasons I haven't made up my mind to read the book yet. Movie was chilling too. If it is really satirical like you said, I may pick up the book soon 😊

Other Dystopian Books that are in my TBR list

Unwind Dystology
Children of Men... holding off on movie until I read the book.
Clockwork Orange
Zazen
The Running Man by Stephan King... I've heard it has inspired books like The Hunger Games, so will start reading as soon I finish the current series.

I really liked The Hunger Games, Divergent (not sequels), and to some extent Razorland and The Giver. So I explored other YA Dystopian books. Honestly, I felt that the sole purpose of the dystopian society in a few books, is to keep the young lovers apart and/or making it difficult for the protagonist to choose between her two love interests. Or, maybe my brain is not wired for romance.

The Giver has a very good premise and actually explains in detail why/how their Dystopian society works. But I couldn't connect with any of the characters, including the protagonist.

The Maze Runner was good too, but the sequels sucked. I lost track of how many times protagonist fainted in the second (or third?) book.

Currently I am reading Crewel, and so far the story is interesting.
Edited by effinxn3k - 9 years ago

That was a chilling movie. I would die of Claustrophobia if I was forced to spend my entire life inside a moving train.

That was a chilling movie. I would die of Claustrophobia if I was forced to spend my entire life inside a moving train.

Seriously!!
I was wondering if it is based on a book, or is it just a movie.

Seriously!!
I was wondering if it is based on a book, or is it just a movie.

This movie is adopted from a French graphic novel. I wonder if it has been translated to English.

Edit: Yes... in 2014.
Edited by effinxn3k - 9 years ago

Wow, that's quite a list!

If you found The Handmaid's Tale chilling well not really sure how you'd find A Clockwork Orange because that deals with a society that's out of control where violence and rape is rampant and is the order of the day. Not to everyone's taste and while I was doubtful picking it up it is now surprisingly one of my favorite books. Again darkly satirical it is a brilliantly conceived story with even a special dialect of it's own. And since you aren't into romance that's another highlight.  

Yeah the Running Man was inspiration for the Hunger Games plus that also got turned into a movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger in the 80s.

I agree on the romance part, but I find it to be mainly a staple of the current crop of YA literature. It's like romance is mandatory no matter what the genre. A lot of the old dysptopian classics like A Clockwork Orange and this other book I'm reading, A Canticle for Leibowitz mostly don't have a romantic angle at all. 1984 touched upon it but I felt it was more to give an idea just how dangerously forbidden lust or an affair was. 
Edited by zephyr29 - 9 years ago