Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

zephyr29 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 9 years ago

Originally posted by: effinxn3k

That was a chilling movie. I would die of Claustrophobia if I was forced to spend my entire life inside a moving train.

I felt the same while reading about District 13 in the Hunger Games. Don't know if I'll be able to "live" out my days underground, especially with the threat of attacks and bombings. No saying when the earth will give way and it will all cave in πŸ˜³...Have read enough horror stories of bomb shelters during World War Two. 
effinxn3k thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: zephyr29

Haha... I guess I am becoming a Dystopian fanatic lately πŸ˜›πŸ˜†

A Handmaid's Tale was the the very first Dystopian movie I've watched after sealing the VCD from my cousin. I was barely in my teens. I found it very difficult to comprehend that there might be a possibility for us to lose our freedom in the future. Probably, I might find AHT is not as intense anymore after being exposed to so many other 'dystopian societies.'

I am not exactly dead against romance. I like it when romance is an integral part of the story. Like you said, without lust/love/affair, there would be no 1984. (This book always reminds me of The Truman Show and of course Big Brother/Bigg Boss) Even in Hunger Games, Katnis had two love interests, but I didn't feel it was forced. Their fake love angle gave people hope (apart from Katnis caring for Rue) and triggered a revolution.

I find the story is contrived when the characters fall in love at first sight and are ready to die/kill soon after. Not to mention under-aged teens getting married and living happily ever after (Lux Series).

Yup I agree... I don't complain if there is not an ounce of romance either.

Anyway, YA romance is alluring teens to spend more time reading books instead of TV/Internet, so I shouldn't be complaining and pick an appropriate book that suits my sensibilities... πŸ˜›

How's A Canticle for Leibowitz? Added to my TBR list.

effinxn3k thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

At least, in Snowpiercer, the train had windows. I can only imagine life underground.

QuietlyLoud thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
As for now it is the hunger games! ..
her_story thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
I have hardly read much in this genre, but I don't think any book has freaked me out as much as 1984 has!
zephyr29 thumbnail

Originally posted by: effinxn3k

I always felt in 1984 the romance part was secondary. The seeds of rebellion were already in place earlier and Winston would have been caught one or the other way trying to search for the resistance or maybe through some other revolutionary act. Only his affair with Julia ended up being the catalyst which finally led to his capture. In Hunger Games, yeah the relationships she had with both the guys seemed realistic.

Yeah so far of what I've read of The Handmaid's Tale it definitely is not as intense as, say, THG, of course the main reason being there are so many stories in this genre already.

Yup romance does seem to be a sure-fire way of getting teens to read these days, sad as it seems πŸ˜†

Here's a synopsis of A Canticle for Leibowitz on Wiki:

A Canticle for Leibowitz is a post-apocalyptic science fiction novel by American writer Walter M. Miller, Jr., first published in 1960. Set in a Catholic monastery in the desert of the Southwestern United States after a devastating nuclear war, the story spans thousands of years as civilization rebuilds itself. The monks of the fictional Albertian Order of Leibowitz take up the mission of preserving the surviving remnants of man's scientific knowledge until the day the outside world is again ready for it.

Till where I've reached it's been a delightful read, humourous and suspenseful so far. But I've got a few other books I'm currently reading so I've been on a break from this one for a while πŸ˜›. But the story is pretty good and it's one which I can actually imagine happening if at all there is an apocalypse given the religious undertones and how man has always sought the help of God in times of disaster through the ages. But the difference here is the "Saint Leibowitz" they are piously following happens to be a scientist of some sort who lived hundreds of years ago (i.e. the 20th century).

zephyr29 thumbnail

Originally posted by: miss_bennet

I have hardly read much in this genre, but I don't think any book has freaked me out as much as 1984 has!

I agree. Especially the last few chapters just leaves you with a very cold, sick feeling πŸ˜³. Maybe it's because of that kind of emotional impact I love that book so much, weird I know πŸ˜†
her_story thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5

I agree. Especially the last few chapters just leaves you with a very cold, sick feeling😳 . Maybe it's because of that kind of emotional impact I love that book so much, weird I know πŸ˜†

Oh, it is not weird. πŸ˜Š
As for me, I'm not sure if 'love' is the word I'd use to convey my feelings about the book, but I must agree that the book is very brilliant and impactful, and I do not regret reading it at all, as disturbing as it was.
zephyr29 thumbnail

Originally posted by: miss_bennet

Oh, it is not weird. πŸ˜Š
As for me, I'm not sure if 'love' is the word I'd use to convey my feelings about the book, but I must agree that the book is very brilliant and impactful, and I do not regret reading it at all, as disturbing as it was.

Same here, but would I revisit it again? Now that's an interesting question πŸ˜†
zephyr29 thumbnail

Interesting that you mentioned Lord of the Flies, was just thinking about this the other day. I've always wondered whether this would come under Dysptopians since no specific time period was given except that it was taking place during a war, the details of which led me to erroneously believe it was WW2. But I guess it does since  it's story is of a "society" which is formed on a desert island by a group of stranded school boys. This one was a truly terrifying read and fascinating in just how the human mind functions or deteriorates when put into such extreme circumstances. If there's any dystopian novel more true to life then this was it.