RIP Robin Williams - An Actor Who Gave Us So Much!

Posted: 9 years ago
Monday, Aug 11, 2014 Updated at 10:34 PM EDT

Robin Williams, the Oscar-winning actor and comedian whose performances careened from dazzling pop-culture riffs to intense dramatic roles, died Monday at the age of 63, in an apparent suicide that marked the grim end of his recent battles with severe depression.

Williams was pronounced dead at his home in unincorporated Tiburon, California, north of San Francisco, after being found unconscious and not breathing around noon, the Marin County Sheriff's office said.

In Memoriam: Robin Williams

His death was suspected to have been due to suicide due to asphyxia. His spokeswoman said he had been struggling with severe depression recently.

"This morning, I lost my husband and my best friend, while the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings," his wife Susan Schneider said in a statement. "I am utterly heartbroken."

The sheriff's office is still investigating his death, and toxicology tests are forthcoming.

Williams spoke openly last month about pursuing 12-step treatment at a Minnesota facility. He was open about the challenges of maintaining sobriety. Williams sought treatment in 2006 when he relapsed and returned to drinking after 20 years.

"This morning, I lost my husband and my best friend, while the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings."Susan Schneider, wife of Robin Williams

From his breakthrough in the late 1970s as the alien in the hit TV show "Mork and Mindy," through his standup act and such films as "Good Morning, Vietnam," the short, barrel-chested Williams ranted and shouted as if just sprung from solitary confinement. Loud, fast, manic, he parodied everyone from John Wayne to Keith Richards, impersonating a Russian immigrant as easily as a pack of Nazi attack dogs.

He was a riot in drag in "Mrs. Doubtfire," or as a cartoon genie in "Aladdin." He won his Academy Award in a rare but equally intense dramatic role, as a teacher in the 1997 film "Good Will Hunting."

[NATL] Remembering Robin WilliamsRobin Williams: Life and Times

Like so many funnymen, he had serious ambitions, winning his Oscar for his portrayal of an empathetic therapist in "Good Will Hunting." He also played for tears in "Awakenings," ''Dead Poets Society" and "What Dreams May Come," something that led New York Times critic Stephen Holden to once say he dreaded seeing the actor's "Humpty Dumpty grin and crinkly moist eyes."

Williams also won three Golden Globes, for "Good Morning, Vietnam," ''Mrs. Doubtfire" and "The Fisher King."

His other film credits included Robert Altman's "Popeye" (a box office bomb), Paul Mazursky's "Moscow on the Hudson," Steven Spielberg's "Hook" and Woody Allen's "Deconstructing Harry." On stage, Williams joined fellow comedian Steve Martin in a 1988 Broadway revival of "Waiting for Godot."

President Barack Obama called Williams "one of a kind'' who shared his talent "freely and generously with those who needed it most.''

Obama said in a statement issued Monday night that Williams "arrived in our lives as an alien - but he ended up touching every element of the human spirit,'' referring to Williams' late 1970s role in the TV show "Mork and Mindy.''

The president said the actor was generous with his comic talents for those who needed it, including troops abroad.

The statement said: "The Obama family offers our condolences to Robin's family, his friends, and everyone who found their voice and their verse thanks to Robin Williams.''

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Copyright Associated Press / NBC4 Washington

---------------------------------------------------------

Very sad. He was relatively young. May his soul RIP. Shocking news. Just shows how unpredictable life can be. Deepest condolences to his family and loved ones. RIP to a wonderful soul.
Edited by Cutiepie Rani - 9 years ago
Actors tweets:

@channingtatum: A comedic genius who will inspire entertainers for many generations to come. You will be missed. #RIPRobinWilliams

@ParineetiChopra: Goodbye Mr. Williams. And thank you.

@FarOutAkhtar: Robin Williams. Thank you for the decades of entertainment. RIP.

@S1dharthM: Sad to hear abt Robin Williams-RIP n thank u for all the laughs

@ManishPaul03: RIP robin williams...

@karanjohar: This is just too sad...RIP Robin Williams...

@Riteishd: No amount of thank-yous are enough - yet thank you - Robin Williams -RIP

@juniorbachchan: Oh captain, my... terrible news about the passing of one of my favourite actors. Mr. Robin Williams.This is the 1st time he made anyone cry.

@udaychopra: #RIPRobinWilliams shocking to hear this...
Here is a scene to remember him by
http://t.co/SjA5O3qt78 #WhatWillYourVerseBe?

@WhiteHouse: He made us laugh. He made us cry. He ended up touching every element of the human spirit. #RIPRobinWilliams http://t.co/kbEq7OwPOf

@RyanSeacrest: RIP Robin Williams...he was an inspiration to all of us. He taught us that laughter fuels the soul over and over again

@TheFarahKhan: Oh god.. How do u tell Ur kids Mrs.Doubtfire has died!? RIP Robin Williams.. Thank u for the    laughter n the movies!

@ZacEfron: .@robinwilliams will always be my hero. We lost a beautiful soul today. RIP http://t.co/nbXlGbOYdU

@raghavworldwide: Robin Williams death reminds me of when celebrity was the outcome of great art.. Not the other way round as it is too often today..

@BarackObama: "Robin Williams was an airman, a doctor, a genie, a nanny ... and everything in between. But he was one of a kind." "President Obama

@kunalkohli: #RIPRobinWilliams
The darkness behind the silver screen is often left unseen
He took his life
why?
Let that be his secret
His last act

@taylorswift13: Heartbroken for Robin Williams and his family.

@ArshadWarsi: Robin Williams, one of my favourite & a great actor has passed away ... god bless you... RIP

@SunidhiChauhan5: It pains my heart to hear about Robin Williams..

more celebs tweet: 

Shabana Azmi: Robin Williams. What a loss! You leave behind a vaccum difficult to fill but your remarkable body of work will continue to inspire. RIP.

Anil Kapoor: Stunned and shocked, Mrs. Doubtfire, dead poets society, goodwill hunting... RIP Robin Williams. Original to the core!

Rakeysh Mehra: RIP Robin Williams. Thank you for giving us so much joy.

Ken Ghosh: A real life "Mera Naam Joker" Robin Williams reminds you that behind the laughing face is a person who could be crying.

Vishal Dadlani: To wake up to a world without Robin Williams, is to wake up to a bleaker world.

Nikhil Dwivedi: Woke up to the news of Robin Williams' death. He signified brilliance! Gone before his time.

Manoj Bajpayee: Today he left us crying after years of laughter. You will be missed by everyone who saw you changing faces on screen. #RIPRobinWilliams.

Ronit Roy: "It's never what it seems". This is so apt with the man who made the world laugh killing himself. RIP Robin Williams. We will love you forever.

Nargis Fakhri: RIP Robin Williams... makes me so sad to hear this news. My heart aches. Doesn't matter how successful u r. The mind is a strange place.

Richa Chadha: It is impossible to be a performer and not take this loss personally... #RIPRobinWilliams.

Bipasha Basu: Heartbroken and shocked! RIP Robin Williams.

Abhay Deol: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Zohra Sehgal, Robin Williams. The world's a better place because they lived. RIP.

Arjun Kapoor: RIP Robin Williams u will always remain in my memory as Mrs. Doubtfire...hope u find happiness up there u mad genius.

Ranvir Shorey: Such terrible news to start the day. Shocked and saddened with the passing of a childhood hero. RIP, Robin Williams.

Dia Mirza: He warmed the cockles of the heart, tickled the funny bone and made one feel so deeply...But above all he made us think. #RIPRobinWilliams. My childhood would have been incomplete without #MrsDoubtfire #Flubber #Jumanji and so many more of his films... #RobinWilliams.

Neil Nitin Mukesh: OMG!!! Robin Williams. He passed away. I am sooo upset. This is such sad news. RIP!

Nimrat Kaur: So much warmth and love in those eyes...grew up with them smiling. Too sad to accept this loss.

Thank you Shruti!

This is just so sad. :(
thanks cutiepie rani,

terrible  sad news  saw 1st last night got a shock , then 1st in the morning and it hit me like a brick  , it wasn't a nightmare , but  it is a nightmare this depression , that makes peoples life impossible to stay in this world... may his soul rest in peace now 😭 may god give strength to his fam.
His movies were there on every stage of my life.
The muggle who was more a magician than any. RIP Robin Williams.
Thanks for this post
RIP Robin Williams ðŸ˜­
ur movies were great
RIP Robin Williams. I will miss him surely. I loved him as Mrs.Doubtfire and Genie
It's unsettling to me that a man who created so much joy & happiness in others was, in the end, unable to create it for himself.
R.I.P. Robin Williams
I'm honestly finding it hard to believe that he is no more. There was no one else like him who could make you laugh as well as think at the same time. It is indeed sobering that someone who could bring so much joy & happiness was himself battling the worst kind of sadness, hope he is finally at peace now.

You have contributed one hell of an extraordinary verse, Mr. Williams, and it will never be forgotten. Thank you for all those memories. Rest In Peace, O Captain My Captain