Views

Users

Frequent Posters

goody2shoes thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

Originally posted by: Nakusha

hi naila

loved the ud...naku had terrible & sad past...thai brought dutta & naku together...atleast in a way their path crossed...dutta wants to do his own things instead of following his fore fathers step...contine soon...good story😊

Hello :)

Yes their paths will *KEEP* crossing. < that is at the heart of my story. These two idiots are connected by the red thread, yet whether they will be able to recognise that or not, is something to be seen. 

Dutta the ferociously independent...rings true of his LTL bhau personality doesn't it? ;)

thank you for reading. Aiming to have the next part up soon. :) 
jedy25 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
hi naila
superb ud...when tasha met...waiting to know further...ud soon😊
goody2shoes thumbnail

Originally posted by: jedy25

hi naila

superb ud...when tasha met...waiting to know further...ud soon😊

Hello :)

Aww thank you. Glad you liked it. Update coming soon, I promise :) 
tahera57 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
hi Naila thanks for ud enjoyed reading, Nakku very strong person despite theneglect of her parents she rose above to make a good life for herself, Dutta headstrong and unwilling to compromise on his goals... lets see how the first meeting with Dr Jain goes...
Hamlet53 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail

Naila  what I am most enjoying  so far  are the settings you chose. This time it's  my favourite destinations the far south east Asia.. their culture, sights, weather are all after my own heart and fascinates me .. the Phuket back drop highlighted in this chapter is graphic and contains descriptive passages that  let's the imagination go.. the catastrophe and doom could be felt poignantly .The swift assessment of the needy and execution of medical requirement.. put's Naku on a pedestal for me already. .and as for that Dutta.. who ends up doing his own thing..its  nothing new, the lion loves to dabbles in action sequences.. and heroism  that is so much him too.. methinks time is fast approaching where the two will meet..? doc/patient?

Naku has a traumatic past.. taking care of an alcoholic  mother.. so, she at a young age turned up mothering the woman who bore her.. loved the complete section, wherein  we see perhaps, that suffering has been seen and felt by her.. It may well be that she has a good stamina level of dealing with trauma cases..  but for herself  Naku  believes in making her own destiny..

Come to think of it. Dutta mr. rich boy too, is driven by the force, I  make my own life , my way.. so already these two people in question.. Dutta and  Naku! are meant to meet, in dangerous times ...  whether they gel together? is yet to be revealed..

Thanks naila.. for a very interesting chapter.. knowing their backgrounds is indeed helpful to gauge the makings of their personalities and how they will relate to each other in times to come..  please continue, looking forward to the next chapter. Much love hammie         

goody2shoes thumbnail

Originally posted by: tahera57

hi Naila thanks for ud enjoyed reading, Nakku very strong person despite theneglect of her parents she rose above to make a good life for herself, Dutta headstrong and unwilling to compromise on his goals... lets see how the first meeting with Dr Jain goes...

Aaah thank you Tahera. Indeed both Dutta and Naku are indeed headstrong. Their first meeting will be interesting to say the least...clash or the titans may be? Keep reading. 

Thank you once again :) 
goody2shoes thumbnail

Originally posted by: Hamlet53

Naila  what I am most enjoying  so far  are the settings you chose. This time it's  my favourite destinations the far south east Asia.. their culture, sights, weather are all after my own heart and fascinates me .. Me too :) 

the Phuket back drop highlighted in this chapter is graphic and contains descriptive passages that  let's the imagination go.. the catastrophe and doom could be felt poignantly . I always wanted meeting number one (there will be three-if you read the first chapter that is indicated) to be among a natural disaster. I thought hard about which one. I needed something which was a time ago (hence the 04,) but I didn't know whether it should be something else for example Hurricane Katrina or this. In the end I thought back to how heartbreaking the 2004 Tsunami had been. Thailand was only one small part of it. But truthfully even today I can recall where I was and what I was doing as the news came flooding (pun unintended) through. As a 12 year old, this was the first time I saw the whole of the South East Asian community come together-in fact the whole world did to help them through the carnage. 

The swift assessment of the needy and execution of medical requirement.. put's Naku on a pedestal for me already. .and as for that Dutta.. who ends up doing his own thing..its  nothing new, the lion loves to dabbles in action sequences.. and heroism  that is so much him too.. methinks time is fast approaching where the two will meet..? doc/patient? Again, you hit the nail on it's head 

Naku has a traumatic past.. taking care of an alcoholic  mother.. so, she at a young age turned up mothering the woman who bore her.. loved the complete section, wherein  we see perhaps, that suffering has been seen and felt by her.. It may well be that she has a good stamina level of dealing with trauma cases..  but for herself  Naku  believes in making her own destiny.. Honesty hour? I very nearly decided to drop the 'neglected' childhood plot for Naku. Very nearly. But in the end as much as it pained by heart to write it, I needed it to be there. < Hopefully that will become clearer as you read on. As to Dutta, this is only the tip of the iceberg. Only the tip.

Come to think of it. Dutta mr. rich boy too, is driven by the force, I  make my own life , my way.. so already these two people in question.. Dutta and  Naku! are meant to meet, in dangerous times ...  whether they gel together? is yet to be revealed..

Thanks naila.. for a very interesting chapter.. knowing their backgrounds is indeed helpful to gauge the makings of their personalities and how they will relate to each other in times to come..  please continue, looking forward to the next chapter. Much love hammie         

Once again thank you Hammie for reading and your lovely lovely observations. I'm smiling like a cat who got all the cream now ;) 

Next update soon hopefully. :) Thanks once again

goody2shoes thumbnail
*Hello. I hope you're all well. Thank you for the lovely feedback, forever warming my heart. Thank you. As promised here is the next update, it is slightly longer than the usual chapters. Please enjoy :)*

---------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Four: Roses are Red...but Bruises are Blue

Date: 28th December 2004 
Time: 6 p.m
Place: Phuket, medical tent
Mood: enigmatic 

Nakusha watched him for some time. He had collapsed on the floor, when he'd arrived, but the sling on his shoulder was enough to tell her what was wrong. After all hadn't she bandaged him up a few hours ago? He was dehydrated. (The irony.) But more than that, he'd pulled his shoulder, dislocating was an already a correction of a previous dislocation. She had injected him morphine to ease the pain. But it had been over an hour now, and he was still asleep. Normally she would wait for him to wake, but he was talking in his sleep.

"No, leave me"

At first she had thought he had woken up and so she began to reply back:

"Sir, you're being treated..." But stopped when he spoke again;

"Dad, please."

Nakusha stopped talking.

There was no one else in the tent, they were packing up to move to the east away from the damage, most people who needed a hospital had been taken, and others had been released. Only a few doctors had remained back. Nakusha being one of them. He spoke again:

"My life...live it."

Ok, it's time I woke this mister, before he starts needing counselling. Stitches I can do but counselling, no way hose did not sign up for that.' She thought to herself, as she approached him.

She called out first:

"Sir,"

But there was no response, she tried again, but yet again he remained oblivious sleeping like a log. She changed tack; she gently placed her hand on his left arm and shook him

"Sir,"

She saw him jerk, his eyes slowly opening.

"Sir, you're being treated, try and not move, you've dislocated your shoulder."

Dutta nodded slightly, while the doctor continued speaking;

"Sir I need you to take these:" She handed him two small pills

"They're painkillers, I need you to take them before I push your shoulder back in."

Dutta didn't move to take the medication from her.

"Sir."

"Dutta."

"Pardon."

"Dutta, my name is Dutta, not Sir. Dutta Patil, not Sir Patil. I haven't been knighted."

She gave him a queer look when he added:

"Yet" and smiled to himself.

Ok, this guy is clearly hopped up on pills, let's make this quick.' She thought to herself, as she put on her sterile gloves. She helped him sit up, and said:

"On the count of three, I'm going to push it back in."

"Ok." He replied.

"It's going to hurt."

"Ok." He responded.

"A lot."

"Are you trying to scare me..." Dutta began before screaming loudly and adding;

"ARGHHH, Teri maa ki...ARGHH"

It was done, the shoulder popped back into position. Nakusha stepped back, removing her gloves, moving towards the small table, she picked up some tablets. Dutta who was now breathing deeply in complete bliss sighed heavily. He was feeling much better. Nakusha approached him, handing him the bottle;

"Painkillers, take no more than two, when and if needed. Space the doses evenly."

Dutta took the bottle from her, having realised what he said in pain, his ears reddened in embarrassment. All he could hope for was that she didn't understand what he had said.

"Sorry about the pain. I find it's easier when the patient is distracted. I had to throw you off base. It wasn't my intention to scare you."

Nakusha had deliberately attempted to distract Dutta, she didn't want him to count down with her and anticipate the agony that he would be facing, it was better throw him off guard, even if that meant he turned suddenly very Bollywood-villain like and swore.

Dutta whose ears were now a deep scarlet muttered;

"Yeah about that, I should probably apologise too."

"Probably?" Nakusha amused

Blimey he really is arrogant,' she thought to herself

Dutta blinked at her, his mouth slightly open,

Crap, she understands' he thought.

"It's not every day a patient decides to attack my mother from beyond the grave, than the more simple and easier F-you that I get a lot of."

Now Dutta was really taken aback. Perhaps his shame was festered all over his face, or perhaps she wanted to end this conversation quickly but before Dutta could respond she spoke yet again:

"It's ok. Part and parcel of being a doctor." She smiled.

Dutta was still lost for words, when a familiar face poked her head round the tent;

"There you are, why is it every time I go looking around for you, you're on a gurney?"

"Hi Rosie, nice to see you too." Dutta mocked.

For some unknown reason, as soon as Dutta had said Rosie's name, he could have sworn he saw Dr Jain, double take, as though he had called her.

"Hi." Rosie sarcastically responded, before breaking into a grin;

"Bus is ready, leaving in 5, how about you?" she enquired.

"Complete bliss now that Dr Jain here has fixed me up."

Nakusha waved her efforts off, whispering quietly something about her job, but no one was really paying any attention. Rosie had begun fussing over Dutta, helping him with his shirt.

"Purple elephants" she added in her normal voice, deliberately assuming no one was listening.

"Excuse me?" Dutta questioned, curious.

Now Nakusha turned a shade red.

"Nnnothing, I was just thinking aloud." She replied back, moving towards the mobile sink, washing her hands, clearly embarrassed.

"Ok, so in 5, we're not going to wait for you." Rosie warned Dutta as she left, curtly nodding in Nakusha's direction before leaving.

Nakusha deliberately took her time washing her hands, she wanted him to leave. But for some odd reason he was stalling. The silence in the room growing awkward so Nakusha decided to speak:

"You should keep your arm in the sling for a week, take it out only to wash and try and keep it on when you sleep."

"Ok." He responded observing her closely

"But really there shouldn't be a problem now, by the sounds of it, it's as good as new. Probably better." She finished, as she threw the used paper towel into the bin.

"Rainy book." Dutta responded back;

"Pardon" Nakusha added confused.

"Oh, nothing I was just thinking aloud" Dutta winked.

Nakusha half smiled at him,

The guy's clearly a lunatic' she thought to herself, as she saw him smile widely as he swung his legs around and got up from the gurney;

"Well thank you," he began as he steadied himself, but either it was the effect of the pills or may be something else, but he felt his legs give in, stumbling he fell back into bed, with Nakusha by his side.

"Try and not get up too quickly, you still have a lot of painkillers in your system and the dehydration is still there. Sorry," she added as she looked at his cannula

"I get it, supplies are low, and besides the dehydration was my own stupidity." Dutta began as he scanned the room for a wheelchair.

Nakusha sensed what he was looking for and spoke quickly;

"Don't have it, nor do we have crutches or zimmer frames. We're all packed to go, leaving this evening."

Dutta nodded. It made sense; the camp was virtually empty now, with a handful of people left behind, including himself and Nakusha.

"I'm clearly going to miss my ride." He amused to himself, recalling his wish from a couple of days ago before the Tsunami when he had wished to stay here longer.

"And that thought leaves you happy?" Nakusha queried watching his smile.

"Well if you had to work with my team you'd agree. Slave drivers." He added mockingly.

Nakusha rolled her eyes;

"I'm just kidding."

"Yeah I figured." Nakusha responded and added;

"But don't fret; you can come along with us. I take it your stuff has already gone. I'm sure we can spare some room for you...up on the roof." She winked.

Dutta narrowed his eyes at her before he began to smile again, as Nakusha, began to empty the small table near her, packing the last of the medical kit. Dutta had been watching her closely, for some reason she fascinated him. He couldn't quite put his finger on what. Yes she was pretty, heck scratch that, credit where credit is due, she was beautiful. No two ways about it. She was clearly working those scrubs that she was wearing too. But Dutta had, had his fair share of beauties in the past. It was something else. Clearly she was smart, not just book smart but street smart. Her nonchalance had given that away. But again it wasn't that. It both bugged and intrigued him, but this Dr Jain was proving to be quite the puzzle.

Dhoom Machle, Dhoom Machle Dhoom. Dhoom...' Dutta's phone rang; Dutta didn't even need to read the caller Id to know who it was;

---------------------------------------------

Nakusha had to control herself; she had nearly doubled over laughing at the sudden song that erupted in the tent. It was Dutta's phone;

Really dude, that's your ringtone, just when I thought you were cool.' She humoured herself.

Indeed there was something captivating about this rather tall insane person. Ok so he was cute. No scratch that, if it's an apple, let's call it an apple,' Nakusha thought-he was hot, so let's call him hot. He clearly had the intense broody thing going for him, despite the fact that beneath it all he was really just a joker. Now broody wasn't Nakusha's type, nor was lovable idiot' as Dutta was appearing to come across as. In fact as this point Nakusha amused herself, what was her type? For the life of her she couldn't pin it down. Upon such realisation Nakusha didn't know whether to rejoice at being so open minded or depressed that she was in the prime of her life and she still didn't know what type of guy would win her over. She guessed she had better things to think about. Like being a doctor for one.

But yes, this Dutta Patil fellow-not Sir Patil, as he had reminded her-was proving to be quite enigmatic. Something about him was leaving an impact. From the short period they had interacted, it was clear that he was smart, perhaps obnoxious at times-but Nakusha mainly-unapologetically-put that down to his gender, rather than his own fault, but either way there was something there. That something which at this point, Nakusha couldn't quite understand.

Dutta was on the phone for a while, despite not being able to get a phrase in edgeways. Whoever was on the phone wasn't giving him a chance to speak, this Nakusha noted was irritating Dutta, though ever once in a while, he'd break into a smile, which he tried to conceal over the phone.

"Hello...yes...haan...par...but...lis..listen...ok...No...I'm FINE...Baji...wait...BA...ok, ok. Bye."

From the snippets, Nakusha had deduced it must have been a loved one, but what had peaked her interest was how she had heard the word Bhau' several times from the other side.

Now Nakusha wasn't Maharashtian, but Leela was. More often than not, she had heard Leela refer to her older brother as Bhau, in fact on the couple of occasions that he'd come down to visit Leela at university, Leela had insisted that Nakusha call him that too...well until Leela realised that Nakusha had been harbouring a major crush on her bhau.

"Ghaddha" Dutta spoke aloud.

"Must be some intelligent ghaddha if he can phone you." Nakusha responded back.

Dutta had forgotten he wasn't alone in the room, hearing Nakusha speak, he shook his head adding;

"No Bajirao is definitely a ghaddha."

"Vah, naam ho toh aisa" Nakusha replied.

Dutta couldn't help but laugh;

"Let's just say, Maushi is a huge Bollywood fan." Dutta added, suppressing laughter.

Nakusha furrowed her eyebrows at him and added;

"Still it's better than yours." She winked, she resumed back to rolling up the opened unused bandages and placing them in a box.

Dutta was taken aback,

"Is that so?" He queried,

Nakusha didn't verbally respond but nodded her head in an exaggerated motion to deliberately mock him;

"Ok then..." Dutta began before adding slyly;

"...Rosie."

The bandage that Nakusha had wound fell from her hand, rolling slightly before landing near his gurney.

How did he?' 

She was shocked, how had he figured it out. No it was pure coincidence, maybe she had flushed a little, and after all it was pretty hot and humid.

She heard him laughing;

"Rosie" he said again, his laughter and mockery increasing with each repetition.

Nakusha rolled her eyes, she realised she was never going to live this down.

"Rosie" he said yet again, as he laughed more, before holding his side that now ached from all the laughter.

Nakusha who had picked up her bandage and was aggressively winding it back up, spoke;

"Achaji!" she placed the bandage in the box and snapped at him;

"Well at least my folks bothered giving me a forename AND a nick-name..." she paused noting that he had stopped guffawing. She now had his attention so she continued slyly;

"Dutta Patil. Dutta. Patil. Two surnames, no forenames."

He narrowed his eyes at her;

"Is that so?"

She now smirked. Yes she had definitely hit the right spot. She was unapologetic, if he could dish it, then he should be able to take it too.

"So what is your forename, Dr Jain." He asked deadpan.

Nakusha smiled before replying back unapologetically;

"Nakusha"

She could have sworn she saw his pupils dilate slightly-being a doctor meant that she noticed these things-more than most people.

"Do you even know what Nakusha means? If you did, it'd wipe that smirk off your face." He added coolly

"I do."

He'd barely managed to complete what he was saying before she responded. Her response or rather the speed of it shocked him. As far as he could tell-and he prided himself in knowing that he could read people well-there was no malice, hatred, anger or even regret in her answer. It was quite passive. It emitted indifference. This intrigued him.

"You do?" he saw she wore a poker face;

"Yes, as do my folks, especially mummy dearest" she responded back.

There, right there, at mummy' he had detected something. It made him think back to what she had said earlier;

It's not every day a patient decides to attack my mother from beyond the grave...'

He was sure he had sensed some pain. It was suppressed but there was some pain there. But even if there was it was gone as quick as it came. She had resumed packing her things. But Dutta was not ready to let this go.

"And they still named you Nakusha?" he asked more curious than ever.

"Not they, she." Folding the sheets on the nearby gurney, she added;

"I had'..." she gestured speech marks with her hands before carrying on;

"...a father...well if you can call him that, till I was about four. But I don't remember him. Don't even know what he looks like. Or even his name for that matter."

Again he detected nothing, as if she was apathetic.

"Mum never wanted kids, lest of all a girl." Stacking the sheets neatly she added;

"She was always like that."

"Was?" Dutta enquired.

Of course he knew, he'd put the pieces together, beyond the grave' she had said, but Dutta wanted to be sure that the slight fragments of pain he had detected had not been a figment of his own imagination. That really there had been something there.

Nakusha nodded, turning to face him;

"She died in September"

"I'm sorry to hear that,"

"Then someone is" she half amused.

That made Dutta feel uncomfortable. He was more than aware that his own relationship with his mom was patchy-at best but even so the idea that this girl felt completely numb towards the person who had brought her into this world made him slightly queasy-well it was either that or the painkillers taking their effect.

"Ok, so it's not my place to pry..." he began but was cut off;

"Then don't"

But Dutta continued, throwing caution to the wind;

"...but she was still your mother, despite however your relationship may have been. She was your mother."

Nakusha laughed a little;

"Being a mother doesn't just mean giving birth."

Upon hearing those words, suddenly Dutta thought back to the last time he had spoken to his own mother-

----------------------------------------

"It is your birth right" she had shrugged, while Dutta had stood rooted on the spot completely aghast at the nonsense his mother was spewing;

"Birth right...are you out of your mind, are you even hearing yourself?" He had asked in complete disgust.

"It would appear that it is you, Dutta, who is out of his mind." She had responded the coldness in her eyes glaringly obvious now. Dutta did not know what to say, he knew his parents had always been classist but this was another level. A whole new level of ignorance;

"I will not be attending." Dutta had managed.

"I expect to see you at..."

"Did you not hear me, I won't..."

"7.30, Don will pick you up, and that is final." She had warned, completely ignoring Dutta;

Dutta had opened to his mouth to speak but had been silenced yet again but this time rather than just words, it had felt as though his mother had taken an icicle and pushed it through his heart;

"Do not forget I gave birth to you."

But of course that had been the problem since day one; he had been born a Patil which in every sense of the word had been a curse for Dutta.

---------------------------------------

Dutta was pulled out of his thoughts suddenly as he noted Nakusha stiffen somewhat. Yet somehow, despite Nakusha being a complete stranger for him, he just couldn't stop talking. Nor for that matter, for some reason, could Nakusha stop telling him about her story either.

"You must feel something."

It was her next response that bowled him.

"Oh I do, it wasn't me that felt nothing. It was her." She folded her arms gently and leaned against the gurney that she had placed the folded sheets on.

"DO you know what she said to me on her deathbed?" she paused as though she was recalling the moment before she mocked rather loudly;

"I wish you were never born."

Dutta could sense there was something there. Years of repression, pain and regret. He wanted to reach over to her and to take her in his arms and tell her that it was ok. That she had him, that she was safe.

But how could he? Who was he to her? A patient? A stranger? Who she had met today. Heck why was Dutta even thinking like that? Never before had he felt so touched by someone, or felt such a deep connection that he did now in this surreal moment. What was happening? Who was she?

Nonetheless Dutta couldn't remain silent, he had to say something. Anything. Something. For some unknown reason he felt as though she was seeking some sort of response, perhaps a reason, perhaps an excuse for her mother's behaviour. Something anything. And that something or anything only he could give her.

He said the first thing that came to him:

"She couldn't have meant it."

Nakusha laughed. An actual laugh, the one where your lungs open up and the oxygen around you feels like elixir, that type of laugh; but even so he could sense that it was a mere mask for pain.

"I tried to comfort myself with the same thought, until I realised that was probably the one and only time I saw her sober." She sighed before continuing;

"The one and only time when her senses were about her."

She now looked directly at Dutta, as though she could peer into his soul;

"Make no mistake, Patil Saab, she knew exactly what she was saying."

For that instant, Dutta couldn't help but think back to his own family. His own picture perfect family.

She spoke again; but this time as though she was repeating some mantra. A chant that perhaps she would say each morning after waking up and each night before sleeping, as though it was her personal strength.

"That is why you should live your life alone, be not dependent on anyone. Have no expectations. Que Sera Sera as they say." She commented.

Her tone now completely changed, as though she had recharged herself.  As though Nakusha had left the building, Dr Jain had returned in full swagger.

Nakusha had straightened herself up, when she misheard him.

Or so she thought;

"You're lying."

"Pardon?"

"You're lying" he repeated.

Dutta got up off the gurney, his wooziness having worn off, he felt energised; he made his way over to her;

"You're lying. You want it all."

There was barely any space between them as he began counting off;

"A suburban house, kids-and plenty of them, a pet or two, and a husband. A partner, your soul mate. A face that you will wake up to every morning, and fall asleep looking at every night. You want to fall in love everyday with him. You want routine. You want comfort, you want to be able to fall back with belief that someone will catch you. Someone will always catch you. That it doesn't matter how dark or low you stoop there will always be that one person you can depend on. Nakusha, you want a home. You want everything you missed out on."

He narrowed the gap between them, she could feel his breath on her, but more than that and what both scared and intrigued her was that it was as though he was peering into the window of her soul. As though he was walking hand in hand with her thoughts. As though he was there playing with her inner most desires. Ones she was so certain she had buried a long time ago. Ones even she thought she had long forgotten.

He spoke again;

"FYI, I totally get why you're Rosie now." He amused, noting how deeply she had flushed. Indeed she did have the rosiest cheeks ever.

Dutta wasn't so innocent he knew the effect he'd just had on Nakusha. He made a lot of girls weak in the knees and blush beetroot. It was one of his traits, one that his best friend Bajirao often amused about;

"What with your broody intense gazes and my boy next door dimples, we have the whole gender eating out of our palms." Baji would often remind Dutta.

Nakusha suddenly became aware to the lack of personal space between herself and Dutta, she moved away from him, perching on the end of the gurney behind her, while Dutta made his way back to his own, when Nakusha spoke:

"Ok, so Dr Phil, now that you supposedly know me inside out, it's time for your back story. Let me guess, spoilt brat seeks bride? Well that's the kinda vibe I'm getting." She mocked.

Nakusha had tried to be subtle, she hadn't seen a ring on his finger, but then again he was Indian, even if he were married it wasn't necessary that his hands would voluntarily delve that information. More so, wife aside, did he have a girlfriend? Even just thinking that, Nakusha wanted to kick herself. Why was she even thinking like that? Didn't she find this guy obnoxious?

"Yes because volunteering in a natural disaster screams eligible bachelor doesn't it?"

Dutta mocked as Nakusha laughed.

"Alrightly then, at least inform me about Mr and Mrs pretentious whom I assume you take after. So which is it that has the dimpled chin? Or is it neither. Because if not, I've got news for you my friend, you're adopted." She winked.

"If I should be so lucky" Dutta replied;

"Ok then Kylie Minogue, which is it?"

"Ok, so as much as Mr and Mrs pretentious is their name on their passport. I prefer to call them Mom and Dad, and if you must know. The dimple comes from dad. Probably the only thing he gave me that I am actually grateful for."

"What having a butt-chin?" Nakusha mocked

"Butt..." Dutta exhaled, clearly he was shocked, the one thing Dutta had come to learn quite early-and much to his pleasure-was how his chin was quite the talking point with the ladies. But this was the first time he heard someone speak ill of it.

Collecting himself Dutta decided to ignore Nakusha's comment who quite clearly had enjoyed having a dig at him:

"I come from a picture perfect family"

Nakusha scoffed, while Dutta continued;

"Honestly, you know when you buy a photo frame and they usually already have photographs of cute kids, or pets or couples or families in them?"

"Yeah." Nakusha responded, unsure where Dutta was headed with this:

"Well if my family portrait, that hangs in our hallway was taken up, toh hum sab ki chutti karadey"

"Yeah right. Pride before fall."

"Seriously," Dutta replied back as he continued:

"Mom and Dad were the ultimate marriage, the only children of two leading stock brokers, it was a match made on Wall Street."

Nakusha couldn't help but laugh;

"In fact, I remember in the 6th grade we had to draw a family tree, and after asking Mom, I realised going back six generations not a single girl had been born in my dad's family. That was until my little sister came along. I was two."

"So you're the eldest?"

"Yeah and the Patil heir."

"Jee, could you sound anymore depressed to be sitting on such a kazana you sona dayney wala murga?" It was Dutta's turn to laugh now:

"You make it sound so wonderful."

Nakusha detected something there. Was he bitter?

"Sometimes I wish Roop was older."

"She could've have been, you know there is a 50/50 chance right?" she mocked him

"Not in my family."

Nakusha pulled a face to which Dutta added;

"The Patil's only ever produce first born sons."

"Seriously I get you're a journo, writing is your thing, but this is basic science dude, or did you never have the talk as a child."

Dutta squinted at Nakusha while saying;

"HA HA" before he continued

"Like I said, it is not an option in my family."

Nakusha groaned,

"SO what about you, tomorrow you'll have kids, what if your first born is a girl?"

"Not going to happen"

"Ok you're really testing my patience..."

He cut across her:

"Not going to happen, because mom needs to find me the perfect girl first and so far no such luck. And so I decided to Carpe Diem."

"Haan, voh to hoga, jab potential dulhan ki traits, shopping list jaisa lambey ho." Nakusha laughed. She noted Dutta had merely politely smiled. As though she was touching some nerve, it is for that reason she asked;

"Does it bother you?"

"What? The sexism, the money or the marriage? I need you to be more specific." He mocked

"That your life is dictated." She responded.

"It would be, if I allowed it to be."

Nakusha looked confused.

"I just told you, that I'm pretty much a billionaire and an only heir..."

"Again with the modesty" Nakusha interrupted, while Dutta continued, ignoring Nakusha

"...yet here I am mid a disaster supporting a heroic wound..."

"It's not a heroic wound..."

But again Dutta ignored her and continued

"...supporting a heroic wound, reporting from the other side of the world, are you seriously telling me Doctor Sahiba that you don't see the missing link?"

He now raised his eyebrow at her;

"They cut you out." Nakusha replied, Dutta smirked in response;

"Bingo," he began, but Nakusha wasn't quite finished;

"They cut you out, so you could live your life, enjoy your days until the inevitable."

"The inevitable?" he queried

"The inevitable" she repeated then added;

"Enjoy your days, while Mummyji seeks the bakhri that will produce a bakhra with you."

"Beautiful and smart, two for two Rosie" Dutta smirked.

"But that still doesn't answer my question" she continued

"What?" he asked

"Your life is planned out for you, dare I say it since you were in the womb, and maybe even before then, Mummyji and Daddyji might have unchained your leash-temporarily-so that you can rebel. You know, get it out of our system and all that, but sooner rather than later you're going to have to become Mr Patil. The Patil Saab, with a trophy wife, who parades his first born son, to fat cats in stripped suits before his very own family portrait hung on your very own hallway of your home. SO really, who are you running away from? Not them. So yourself? To rebel, to not take a wife and perhaps raise a baby girl, all while travelling till you're on your deathbed? Because as much as you like to believe you're a stud, you my friend don't do lonely. You can't do lonely."

Nakusha paused before she continued:

"You're going to fall in love someday and then what? What if she isn't qualified per the list? What if she doesn't fit into the family portrait? Who loses? Your family or her? Because from where I'm stood, the only one who seems to be missing out is you. You will lose, if you already haven't lost."

It was as though she could see into his soul, as though she knew exactly what he had locked away a long time ago. Wasn't Dutta aware of this? Didn't he know someday he is going to be stood at a cross road, where one path will follow his heart and the other his brain. Did he not know that the day when that comes, he may not be alone that another life may be attached to his, then what? Hasta la vista baby?

He knew she was right. That had been his fear. That had been his deepest anguish, that it didn't matter how well he tried to paint his life, when it came down to it, he wasn't free. He may never be. What was he but a mere branch on the Patil tree that had stood strong for so many generations. Roots always came before branches. And that is what killed him, what ate away at him, what pained him. And it was that that he had thought he had buried very well. That he thought no-one but he knew about.

But of course he had been wrong. Nakusha could see it too. 

--------------------------------------

*And there you go folks, meeting number one between our Dutta and Nakusha. Hopefully it lived up to your expectations. Please do let me know what you thought but above all, once again thank you for reading :) *

dilse14 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

hi naila

wonderful ud

dutta & naku convo ...every emotion could feel it...you are too good

continue soon...plsss😊

uwith thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
hi naila
awesome ud...i felt like i 'm watching the characters...such well written story...enjoying every bit...dutta & naku convo...too good...waiting for next😊