Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

blacklambo thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
Originally posted by: NalayakShaitaan

Interestingly I was one of those misguided souls who believed Hindi was our National Language
I am pretty sure I was taught that in School

To think that I learn new things on IF ðŸ˜ƒ

edit: what do u think abt the topic?

Me too learning from people who deem others ignorant coz we don't know and judge (nm that they are judging themselves 😆 I hope u read that iv ðŸ˜‰).  Here, I go around explaining people that our national language is Hindi and why I speak English so fluently...😕 and I would not even need a school to tell me that fact.  For me, it is a matter of pride that I can converse in 3 languages (Hindi included), something Americans mostly marvel at coz most of them speak only 1 language.

Did u watch Haider this weekend?  How was it?  Where did u c Khoobsurat?

Edit - just out of curiosity, asked my son what ethnicity he was and his reply was Indian (he is born in USA). Next, I asked him, what was his native language, he replied Hindi ðŸ˜ƒ (he barely speaks Hindi  & converses in English).

Found this on the same thread (on page 11) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExKOYJvxTKk&feature=youtu.be

Edited by blacklambo - 9 years ago
blacklambo thumbnail

Dreamy as a whole character...he needs to put on a bit of weight that he lost but in general..but the whole set up and him as prince looks very nice in all..the movie is OK as such but then that's how chick flicks are..Battle for Bittora??won't that be an overkill with both working together again

http://www.fuzionproductions.com/fawad-khan-zain-altaf-next-titled-battle-bittora/
SoreThumb thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: blacklambo

Me too learning from people who deem others ignorant coz we don't know and judge (nm that they are judging themselves 😆 I hope u read that iv ðŸ˜‰).  Here, I go around explaining people that our national language is Hindi and why I speak English so fluently...😕 and I would not even need a school to tell me that fact.  For me, it is a matter of pride that I can converse in 3 languages (Hindi included), something Americans mostly marvel at coz most of them speak only 1 language.

Did u watch Haider this weekend?  How was it?  Where did u c Khoobsurat?

Edit - just out of curiosity, asked my son what ethnicity he was and his reply
as Indian (he is born in USA). Next, I asked him, what was his native language, he replied Hindi ðŸ˜ƒ (he barely speaks Hindi  & converses in English).

Found this on the same thread (on page 11) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExKOYJvxTKk&feature=youtu.be

I read the IV u mentioned..how judgmental of her to have said that we judge ðŸ¥±

But I got to learn that Hindi is indeed NOT pur national language and our textbooks were all wrong 
That changes my perspective so much

http://m.thehindu.com/news/national/hindi-not-a-national-language-court/article94695.ece/

http://m.timesofindia.com/india/Theres-no-national-language-in-India-Gujarat-High-Court/articleshow/5496231.cms

Hindi along with English is the official language of India..misconceptions I had so longlong

Language is a huge issue here..even today esp in states like maharastra, south India..people being opposed to English questions in UPSC exam and what not..sometimes the diversity we have in our country becomes such a huge issue standing in opposition to progress in general..and I am digressing

I was about to ask u but you answered before that..how is the reaction to knowing more than one language in US..did they have issues with your accent when you first went there?

@your son: for PIO born there I guess Hindi is the sole language except SIs who teach their kids their mother tongue and english
SoreThumb thumbnail

http://www.fuzionproductions.com/fawad-khan-zain-altaf-next-titled-battle-bittora/

Haven't been able to watch Haider..its jinxed I think..weekend plan didn't materialize and had to cancel today's plan too..have a holiday tomorrow due to elections..hopefully will be able to watch tomorrow but the rate at which I am canceling..one never know

Khoobsurat I saw through the sharing network we have here of the users with same internet provider..so any member who has a new movie uploads it on the shared network and we can download in 15-20 mins and watch..same goes for songs and few TV shows 
blacklambo thumbnail

But I got to learn that Hindi is indeed NOT pur national language and our textbooks were all wrong 
That changes my perspective so much

http://m.thehindu.com/news/national/hindi-not-a-national-language-court/article94695.ece/

http://m.timesofindia.com/india/Theres-no-national-language-in-India-Gujarat-High-Court/articleshow/5496231.cms

Hindi along with English is the official language of India..misconceptions I had so longlong

OMG...I hadn't kept abreast of this new development either.  Wikipedia confirms it too (unable to open the links above).  This must be a recent development coz we have been always told that Hindi is the national language.

Language is a huge issue here..even today esp in states like maharastra, south India..people being opposed to English questions in UPSC exam and what not..sometimes the diversity we have in our country becomes such a huge issue standing in opposition to progress in general..and I am digressing

True...

I was about to ask u but you answered before that..how is the reaction to knowing more than one language in US..did they have issues with your accent when you first went there?

Being a city-bred, there are not too many accent issues to begin with and the other reason being that USA can be at times a melting pot of different cultures with people speaking in different accents anyway.  Even in USA, southerners speak in a different accent than northerners.  Inhabitants of mid-west have a different accent anyway.
My son corrects my pronunciation more than anyone else...😆 and that is limited to certain words.

@your son: for PIO born there I guess Hindi is the sole language except SIs who teach their kids their mother tongue and English

He is exposed to Hindi at home, thru Indian movies (I insist on him watching these with subtitles just so he understands the language), family & friends.  Moreover, I am the one who might have told him that Hindi is the national language at some point.  So, this begs the question why were the cities names such as Bombay, Madras, Calcutta changed?  Only coz they were named by British?

blacklambo thumbnail
Swag (borrowing my son's language...anything cool is swag) -

There is no way all this is done by Ranbir and Alia all the way but still liked it 😃

Edit - just checked that there is no official language at federal level in the USA, only at state level 😲.  I do learn new things on IF ðŸ˜ƒ.

Accent - also went to school in USA, which might have factored into shaping my accent.
SoreThumb thumbnail

Swag (borrowing my son's language...anything cool is swag) -

There is no way all this is done by Ranbir and Alia all the way but still liked it 😃

Edit - just checked that there is no official language at federal level in the USA, only at state level 😲.  I do learn new things on IF ðŸ˜ƒ.

Accent - also went to school in USA, which might have factored into shaping my accent.

The Ad is a tad bit long but def cute..Ranbir loves playing football..so maybe he did the easier shots of just kicking but the hooded man with face not shown did the difficult ones
If ISL does help football in India..it will be good..hopefully it will be a success like Pro Kabaddi league was

I read a little more on it. Hindi was never Indian National language..apparently India never had one..so our textbooks were/are grossly wrong..and we learn that on IF..there were several states opposed to Hindi being imposed on them
So US doesn't have a national language too..I assumed it would have one..English

U did ur schooling in US..I dunno why I assumed u went there for higher studies or post marriage..maybe coz that's the norm..did u do complete schooling there or partly in India and partly there
blacklambo thumbnail

The Ad is a tad bit long but def cute..Ranbir loves playing football..so maybe he did the easier shots of just kicking but the hooded man with face not shown did the difficult ones
If ISL does help football in India..it will be good..hopefully it will be a success like Pro Kabaddi league was

Did not follow up with P-K league but knew that AB Jr. had a team (thx to Ice Bucket Challenge 😆).  Is that not recurring like IPL?  ISL would not only highlight the sport but bring forward some talent too.  I do want to see an Indian team playing in FIFA WC. 

I read a little more on it. Hindi was never Indian National language..apparently India never had one..so our textbooks were/are grossly wrong..and we learn that on IF..there were several states opposed to Hindi being imposed on them
So US doesn't have a national language too..I assumed it would have one..English

I thot the same too - some States in the USA do say that English is the official language but at the Federal level, no language has been adopted as the official language.  Learnt all this from that thread 😉.

U did ur schooling in US..I dunno why I assumed u went there for higher studies or post marriage..maybe coz that's the norm..did u do complete schooling there or partly in India and partly there

My bad...school and college at times can be inter-changeable in the USA.  Schooling and Bachelors is from India and MBA is from USA.  Sometimes colleges that offer MBA degrees are referred to as b-schools (b for business).  Did not come to USA to study but while waiting for my paperwork to be processed, decided to get an MBA degree in between.

I am watching Blacklist but losing interest in it.  Dunno how long I will keep up with it.  Might replace it with Gotham (which I have not been able to watch so far but hear it is pretty good).

I saw epi2 of Flash and while it was not as good as the first one, it was still good, so will continue with this show.

Saw epi3 of MLS and liked it 😃.  Give it try though have to warn you that the romance seems to be built with western sensibilities.  So far nothing much has happened except that they are both from diverse backgrounds and are trying to find a happy medium.  The connect between the two is there.

Watching the new season of Arrow and trying to catch up with s2.  Also, still watching MATH in Indian tv shows coz am liking SA's acting.
blacklambo thumbnail
Bahnni, here you go -
http://bgr.com/2014/10/15/google-nexus-player-release-date/

Seems like it will be called Google Player after all.  The new features were part of the rumors that circulated for some time now.  For that price, it will be well worth it ðŸ˜‰
blacklambo thumbnail
Quite a few changes taking place at Colors -

1. http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4195614
Manisha to head overall programming at Colors

In a surprising move, Manisha Sharma has been elevated from weekend programming head to programming head overall on Colors.

The channel's weekday programming head Prashan Bhatt has decided to exit the channel.

According to reports, the programming head position has been vacant since Ashvini Yardi left the channel in 2011. Sharma will continue to report to Colors CEO, Raj Nayak.

Sharma has been at Colors since April 2012, when she defected from Sony Entertainment Television Asia where she was responsible for non-fiction shows on the channel.

2. http://www.media247.co.uk/bizasia/vivek-srivastava-leaves-colors-defects-to-times-tv