India forums needs to be more inclusive! *Admin's Reply PG-6*

atominis thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
I have been on IF since 2011 as a member and was a silent reader earlier. Without a doubt it is one of the most popular sites out there. But what is lacking is a more inclusive representation.
No offense but I find many users are largely NRIs or outside India. Ones actually based in India are comparatively less. Gender wise also it is heavily skewed towards female members. Male members are comparatively few. Age wise it seems either members are too young or middle aged. I mean broader cross section is less represented in age groups.

I see often members register but wean off because they are unable to find those with similar age group, region or gender. I personally know a few who found it hard to stay on.

I request IF to take some steps to make forum more inclusive and not mainly NRI or female dominated.

Just pointed out what I felt in my IF experience. No offense.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

vijay thumbnail
We appreciate your comment and observation and from my side I can just say that its not something that we aimed for such demographic.
We would like to hear to hear from our members their suggestions on how we can make our site to have more wider demography.

Cheers,

-Trishh- thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
IF is probably like this because the demographics of people who watch Indian serials is like IF. Indian serials are mostly directed to women and from my experience, mostly younger people watch serials or middle-aged to older people watch it.  
And I'm guessing that NRIs like me were looking for somewhere to discuss about their serials. And I didn't have much Indian friends. The Indian friends either didn't watch the serials I watched or didn't watch Indian serials at all. So I just stumbled across IF and I'm loving it😊 This is not really a good explanation, but this is what I think might have happened because I haven't seen IF directed to NRIs more than ones who live in India. Or maybe there is a lot of other countries and India is only one country...But I really don't know, I'm guessing on this. Sorry if I have offended anyone, and this is just my opinion
Edited by samarth300 - 9 years ago
Minionite thumbnail
I can tell you from my own experience that the reason I joined IF is because I like watching certain serials and I want to be able to discuss them somewhere. I feel that is a big reason behind why there are so many NRIs or Indians born in another country on IF. Because we all feel that this is a great place to be able to discuss something we all enjoy.

As for more females versus males - well I feel that females love talking or chatting about such things more. From personal experience, whenever my parents have a get-together of their family friends all the females will be talking about are Indian shows, while men are more prone to discuss business, money, cars, investments, etc. I guess that's why there is such a divide.
Edited by KhotaSikaShreya - 9 years ago
atominis thumbnail
I see many other forums where men dominate. That said gender difference is still explicable but why less people from India and way more NRIs?
Sorry but discussions are hard as an NRI has a different POV compared to ones who live in India and are more acquainted with ground reality or nitty gritties there. 

Life_Is_Dutiful thumbnail
The only problem with NRIs here are some of the NRIs hardly have any idea about India yet they insult India and the Indians.This happens mostly in Bollywood forum. That forum is filled with NRIs. I remember one of that forum members had called India a s***hole country. I reported that post but the mod didn't take any action against that member. And the strange part is the one who called India a s***hole country has no idea where's Lucknow and where's Hyderabad in India. πŸ˜• πŸ˜†
vijay thumbnail

Originally posted by: subha2601

The only problem with NRIs here are some of the NRIs hardly have any idea about India yet they insult India and the Indians.This happens mostly in Bollywood forum. That forum is filled with NRIs. I remember one of that forum members had called India a s***hole country. I reported that post but the mod didn't take any action against that member. And the strange part is the one who called India a s***hole country has no idea where's Lucknow and where's Hyderabad in India. πŸ˜• πŸ˜†

Hey,

Please send the link to me I will get it re-checked and we will take necessary action.

Regards
Minionite thumbnail

Originally posted by: subha2601

I guess the Bollywood forum is different then because the forums I'm on all of us NRIs ask questions if we don't know something. I'm forever mentioning how things work in my country and asking if it's different in India even though I visit India on a regular basis. Because visiting and living there are completely different things.
atominis thumbnail
Subha is right.
I have seen people bash India even at any rape case news. OMG how do people live there? What a horrible place!  Or bash laws without knowing about Indian legal system or social basis of why it is the way it is. Bollywood forum is surely an example where country gets bashed often even mocking taste of all Indians in movies based on box office reports or actors and filmmakers get bashed on basis of their ancestry and origins in racist topics.

I am sorry to admit but once I did wonder is it India forums or NRI forums when I read some comments.πŸ˜•
ChannaMereya thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: atominis

Subha is right.

I have seen people bash India even at any rape case news. OMG how do people live there? What a horrible place!  Or bash laws without knowing about Indian legal system or social basis of why it is the way it is. Bollywood forum is surely an example where country gets bashed often even mocking taste of all Indians in movies based on box office reports or actors and filmmakers get bashed on basis of their ancestry and origins in racist topics.

I am sorry to admit but once I did wonder is it India forums or NRI forums when I read some comments.πŸ˜•

Well i agree that IF is most dominated by NRI but that is how it is because lets be honest how many people in India still access net and if they do to access it for forum like IF is not possible that is why their is so much difference . India in terms of net connectivity and people accessing is way behind, I remember how i made my first account after my 12th πŸ˜†
Forums like IF will be dominated by teenagers or middle aged and both places Indians wont be their . because middle aged people their are still who dont know how to use internet in major cities too
and teenagers are still not given access unlike in west and people insulting India and Indians is what is annoying and bollywood forum is known for that 
And male members will not be interested n discussing Indian shows because mostly they think it is pathetic to do even if they watch shows