Debate Mansion

The deterioration in Indian TV serials???

meme_ma thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
I have been watching serials for a very long time and have come to the conclusion that somwhere something went wrong and they became totally inane and pointless.Sure there are some good ones but they are rare that its almost finding a pearl in an oyster.
I remember when you had serials like Buniyaad, Humlog etc which were long but they made some sense unlike KGGK which seems to show no signs of ending and get more and more meaningless as time passes.
Then there are those shows that started out brilliantly and then they got extensions and started going downhill like Tumhari Disha.Its almost like people have forgotten than serials can be short and sweet like Fauji.It lasted for thirteen weeks and that was it.
I think somewhere something went wrong.A part me thinks its the american serials like the bold and the beautiful that probably influenced our serials.They have characters who marry so many times and have children from half a dozen different husbands/lovers.
It works in the US but it always suprises me when something like that happens in Indian TV shows and people accept it.It makes me wonder if we have become so americanised that all this nonsense seems acceptable to us?
Some of these shows dont even have a storyline and that is the most tragic thing.Beautiful stories seems to be passe.It almost seems like if you wrtie somethng nice you may be excommunicated from the writers community.
Is it only me who feels like this or are there people who share my sentiments??

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Pavitra2005 thumbnail

I completely agree with you.  TV Serials hit the mass more than the movies these days.  Junoon was another mEga like the B&B which draged beyond toleration and disappeared without notice.  B&B may have kicked off the idea of mEgas but, it fails to be a success till the last episode when it is strechted for too long right ? I have read in few magazines, where the directors are asked to bring the story to an end and the story ends just abruptly.

nali thumbnail
Pakistani Serials usually last for certain number of episodes. They don't drag on stretching the story.
charu_81 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

I totally agree with u mema_ma.Remember serials like Nukkad,Circus,Buniyaad.There are so many old serials which are still on my mind.😛

I think Shanti was the first serial which was stretched like a rubber band.It continued for three years.I think it was the first Indian TV Soap.Some serials in recent times like Hum Pardesi Ho Gaye,Alpaviram were good and they ended well.

Serials should be short and sweet.I think serials like Kyunki Saa Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi,Kahaani Ghar Ghar ki,Kkusum,Kasauti Zindagi Kay should end and something new and fresh serials should be started.It will be also a refreshment for audiences.

Iam really bored of dramas,plastic surgeries,memory loss,polygamy😡.I stopped watching these serials.Iam in search of fresh serials different from K series and other rubber band soaps.

It is just my opinion.Not intending to offend any one.

Edited by charu_81 - 18 years ago
icy_devil thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
ekta shows never end and i find KGGk really boring and pointless it has no story to it................she never ends her shows and they get annoying
Sydney_Princess thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

"the viewers are more to blame for the degradation"

I must applaud you for such a hard-hitting letter.  It is we the viewers who are contributing to the corruption of our mind.  Look at the ardent worship in this very forum!!!

arkee lover thumbnail
Hi, guys what do you think will kavya come back in KavyAnjal.I hope he comes otherwise the serial is gonna to be so boring. 😭
arkee lover thumbnail
Will Sujal and Kashish be together again.I hope everybody comes to know what Charu did. 😡
~LiL*PrInCeZ~ thumbnail

thanks for bringing back this really good but not as debated topic arkee lover....your questions are living examples of the effect these mindless, overly stretched and illogical soaps have on the people...kavya died in KA?...its ok eijaz khan will come back as either kavya's look-alike, long lost brother, "bhatakti aatma" or whatever else ekta the "genius" can think of next. Or maybe he didnt really die and his death was fake.
As for sujal and kashish..yes they will get together but then sujal will find out about kashish's illegimate child and they will separate and then kashish will hate sujal because of some misunderstanding then sujal will be in a relationship with someone else and then sujal and kashish will finally get back together only to have sujal's other woman come and sujal is "shared" by the two women. all this while kashish is constantly fighting for her child's custod from her old boyfriend who wanted a child with her to use as bait to get what he wants.

ok these stories are bizzare...mind you i have never watched a single episode of either of the two serials mentioned but as it is an indian soap, the story isnt too unpredictable (especially with ekta who repeats the same story line in her dramas) reading what i wrote you all think im crazy and just a little girl with a wild imagination. but every one of the instances i mentioned can be found in more than one drama and there are many other example i missed out on.

the story lines, plots, and logic..rather lack of logic make these shows total waste of time shows. Indian serials are overly stretched, pointless, not connected to society and just plain garbage. saas bahu sagas, dishonest relationships, evil bhabhis, everyone stealing one and anothers bf/gf or husband/wife, i mean come on most of these scenarios are too far fetched to be connected to reality. and to top it all of the unwanted pregnancies, the illegimate children, the plastic surgeries and whatever other nonsense we see in indian serials.

indian soaps are not worth the time people investigate watching them. women all over india and abroad cry while they are cutting onions in the kitchen..not because of the onion but because of something stupid like...kavya died, sujal kashish are separated, or nausheen quit kkusum and wont go back. i mean seriously people take these serials too seriousy and get too emotional with it..and ive seen it on the forum on a daily basis.

when it comes to dramas pakistan is faar ahead of india. and i DONT i repeat DONT WANT TO START ANOTHER INDIA/PAKISTAN FIGHT. im not saying this only because my family is from pakistan none of what is critisized in indian dramas is found in pakistani dramas. Pakistanai dramas are short, they are connected to reality and people can actually relate to the characters. most importantly they are not stretched and every serial is a unique concept.     

Edited by ~LiL*PrInCeZ~ - 18 years ago
Munise thumbnail
I agree to an extent 😊 there are still some serials that I enjoy watching (K Street) but others which I think are a waste of them.

You're right in saying that American serials have influenced Indian Tv serials, but to see stuff like rape, etc happening in a Indian tv serial just doesnt seem right 😕 my whole family tends to sit and watch some serials together, but after the Nandini rape thing, my mum doesnt allow my younger brother and sister to watch them.

I know theres no room for ignorance in todays society, but even i felt uncomfortable watching it. 🤢