Debate Mansion

Discussion: Is "thin" IN??

insouciance thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
With waif like models being pulled off international catwalks, Indian teenagers too need to do a rethink, says Nona Walia

TIMES NEWS NETWORK

TODAY'S teenager has a new religion – being super thin. In fact, they weigh much less than what they weighed ten years ago. 

Recently, models with a Body Mass Index (BMI) lower than 18 were not allowed to participate in the Madrid and London Fashion Weeks as they were considered unhealthy role models. Not surprising, as studies reveal that while 25 years ago, the average model weighed eight per cent less than the average American woman, today's model weighs 23 per cent below the national average. This trend is true in India too, according to dietician Shikha Sharma, "The average weight of a teenage girl is much less than what it used to ten years ago. Today's teenage girls are much thinner. This is a cause of huge concern. You'd be surprised what girls are eating to be ultra-thin. They survive on one toast the whole day. They've started taking laxatives to be thin. In fact, I have many 19-year-olds coming to me and complaining that they are fat – this when they weigh all of 45 kg! They don't want to exercise, they only want to either starve or eat junk." 

Blame it on the slew of new goddesses – the list includes Kate Moss and Victoria Beckham. Two rail thin women who now epitomise global thinness. Just as they appear to shun extra flesh on their bones, the average Indian teen abhors every extra inch or flab. Being thin is their new obsession, and one that has experts and nutritionists worried. 

Says Vandana Luthra, who initiated the 'fit and thin' revolution, "Girls five years ago used to be healthier and fatter. There's an unhealthy obsession to be thin. Young girls are competing with each other to be the thinnest one. Today's teen has redefined thinness. Even thin girls are unhappy with their body. They want to look like supermodels. But it's unhealthy – these girls are starving themselves. Plus they are gorging on junk food, which doesn't give them the required energy or glow. As a result, they all look sickly. These girls are also undernourished and dehydrated as most of them don't even drink water!" 

The urban Indian teen is now perpetually starved, all in the quest of attaining that seemingly invisible level of thinness. In fact, this also is a global phenomenon – The Guardian reports how the mantra today is that being thin gets you noticed. It gets you a contract as a TV presenter or a model or a singer in a girl band. Thin fast-tracks you with far more alacrity than a degree in history. Clearly, thin and skinny sell like nothing else. 

Says Dr Shobha Kaul, of Personal Point, Delhi, "The glamour world has new standards of thinness. Recently, a 28-year-old mother of two came to me as she desperately wanted to weigh just 45 kg. She told me that she'd do anything to become a model. Such is the desperation to look ultra-thin." 

In fact, Marcia Cross, who plays Bree in Desperate Housewives, recently admitted that staying thin was "a living hell", and that she felt she had been banned from eating since joining the show. As you flip through glossy pages of a fashion magazine or feast on FTV, being ultra-thin is the message that'll be pounded into your head. Fashion magazines like Vogue also feature ultra-thin models. In fact, Vogue's editor, Alexandra Shulman, in an interview with The Guardian, says, "We are not saying you have to be like this." 

Right. However, do designers endorse the ultra-thin look? "No," says designer Puja Nayyar, "I don't think hyper thin models look good. I prefer models with a more sculpted and toned body. Sapna Kumar is quite thin, but she has a sculpted body. Meanwhile, Neha Kapur who is ultra-thin, fortunately doesn't look pale. But many of my clients, like young brides, are getting thinner than what the average bride was even five years ago. Yes, there's a new thinness revolution in India and no, it's not necessarily a healthy one."

1)So is thin really "In"....🤔

2)Do the filmstars and models set a bad example to the youth..🤔

3)Why is so much importance being given to the "Thinness" ...🤔

4)So is looking anorexic( a la Kate Moss) more important than looking "toned"(a la Bipasha)

Your views😊

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MNMS thumbnail
WOW.. A hit on the nail Buffie 👏

1)So is thin really "In"....Unfortunately YES! ...And seriously it shouldn't be.. my 10 yr old niece doesn't take proper meals becoz she doesn't wish to gain weight!!😲... and NO AMOUNT of maa ka pressure is working on her

2)Do the filmstars and models set a bad example to the youth.. No question.. it is a fact... wht they are saying..."Be ultra thin.. other wise u will suffer!!" .. i just don't get it.. why don't teenagers think that "BE URSELF" is the best funda ever!!

3)Why is so much importance being given to the "Thinness" ... Media 😡 Blame them.. and then blame the comparison makers around us.. 😡 peer pressure... who looks the best... we will have more oppotunities.. only good looks(body) gets every thing... even wht they show in commercials?? 🤢 .

4)So is looking anorexic( a la Kate Moss) more important than looking "toned"(a la Bipasha)... Tonned all the way! eat healthy.. and plz eat.. i beg.. plz eat HEALTHY food. STOP junk.. it leads u no where... even I am fat bhi😛... major reason is a medical treatment(for illness) earlier this year.. but still i eat healthy... raw veggies.. proper protein.. milk.. juices.. and PLZ water too... u will lose wt even if u walk only 30 min in the morning and 30min at night (that is wht my doctor told me)

Edited by MNMS - 17 years ago
Morgoth thumbnail

In the modeling industry, yes. Anorexia and Bulimia are the newest brand names.

The ones who say that being ultra-thin means being beautiful most definitely do.

I think initially, weight was not given too much of a concern and people ended up being overweight. This exposed them to various cardiovascular problems.

Hence, the idea of losing weight came into play. Unfortunately, thinness came to imply = good health and good looks, which was not necessarily the case.

Even a thin person can have high cholestrol; the fact that they are thin does not make them realize this until its too late!

4)So is looking anorexic( a la Kate Moss) more important than looking "toned"(a la Bipasha)

Absolutely Not. Actually, toned women look prettier and healthier than the anorexics.

As Maryam said, one needs to eat a balanced diet. Most people do not eat all of what is required of them or do proper exercise.

It takes a lot of will-power to follow a balanced diet + exercise routine. But, once you get used to it, you will be able to lose weight.

Brisk walking/cycling coupled with lesser fatty foods, sweets is the best way to start losing weight.
AishwaryaRathod thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Buffie

1)So is thin really "In"....🤔yes sadly thin is in; no one appreciates anyone who is "fat'; fat people have a load of health problems; BAD clothes; and the diet industry makes million of pounds and dollars due to the popularity of diets such as weight watchers, south beach; atkins; because yes thin is in

2)Do the filmstars and models set a bad example to the youth..🤔well these ppl do set the trends in fashion and looks and young girls and even women and men all over want to look good so indian girls want to be as thinnn as say riya sen and deepika padukone so they can wear the outfits that Ash does versus girls in the west who want to look like lindsay lohan or kate moss or tyra banks 

3)Why is so much importance being given to the "Thinness" ...🤔the media projects it as--thin is beautiful and thats what is believed; all the adverts/commercials show thin women; the movies have women struggle to be thin for their next role;its a trend..

4)So is looking anorexic( a la Kate Moss) more important than looking "toned"(a la Bipasha)looking toned is more important--eating fruits and vegetables and exercising regularly can ward off illness and make one look good; thats my opinion and i hope with ppl like Bips around and their much pblicized struggle with weight loss utp a toned body at least young girls of indian origin can realise that being toned is better than being anorexic(which can get so severe as to be a life-threatening illness)

Your views😊

insouciance thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: MNMS

Welcome back Tanaz 🤗

Yes,Welcome back😊...DM wasnt DM without Aparna di and you😊

usachick821 thumbnail
1)So is thin really "In"....

thin is definetely in. And i think the reason that its so in is because most people these days do weigh a lot more in the past because of our fast food craze. Thus, we immideately shun obesity because there are so many obese people, and make the skinny people the elite class. It sort of like discriminating against people who weigh more than normal.

Anorexia is also a physcological disorder, which needs to be dealt with, however many parents do not realise that their children have a weight problem, be it too much or too little. I had a weight problem when i was younger, and soon i started to starve myself. But even as you get skinnier, your brain still has a "fat" image of you, so even if you have lost a significant amount of weight by starving, your brain still makes you think that you're fat. (according to my doctor, who helped me out of anorexia)

People today confuse dieting with starving, when you diet, you naturally lose weight, however starving is unatural and people dont know when to stop, because they no longer know how to.. or that they cant.

2)Do the filmstars and models set a bad example to the youth..

People can do whatever they want to do in their private time, but if they are celebrities and influence a lot of youth then they have a moral obligation to not publicly announce their anorexia or bullemia and praise it. Examples are Nicole Richie and Lindsay lohan, whom many teens look up to, however due to their obbsession in becoming skinny, they dont realise that thousands of girls follow them, whether those celebrities want them to or not.

3)Why is so much importance being given to the "Thinness" ...

Media hype has a lot to do with it, when they show celebs with anorexic problems they make it seem cool to the younger generation. Also, photoshopping model pictures so that they look better and skinnier in pictures is also a very big issue. Even the models themselves do not look like their pictures!

4)So is looking anorexic( a la Kate Moss) more important than looking "toned"(a la Bipasha)

Oh my, well after reading my explaination i believe you have my views on it. I would rather have be a chubby healthy kid, than a skinny unhealthy child anytime.

Your views
realitybites thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
[quote=buffie]

Yes its in, Indian models& actresses are also aping the west and models are starving themselves and looking for impossible figures THis is further bostered by the International fashion & other magazines launched in India.

Def yes they are the celebrities and everywhere celebrities are looked upon. There is nothing wrong in liking a star. But its imp for parents to take up responsibility and counsel their child abt good health and nutrition. ALso how to cope up with peer pressure and other teenage problems.

>
I think it started with the super models being wafer thin which became a cult. This obsession spread to US and if something catches up there how can India be far behd?

4)So is looking anorexic( a la Kate Moss) more important than looking "toned"(a la Bipasha)

There was another report along with the article you posted.

A research study conducted by 3 Univ of Florida advertising Professors, seductive models bore and make women disinterested.   In fact the study revealed that hotter the models look the colder is women's reaction . The research revealed that sexy and Wholesome beauty was most desirable.

The study said men still drool over wafer thin models!

Any day a healthy body looks more beautiful and these super thin models look ghastly!

[/quote]
Edited by realitybites - 17 years ago
kaira11 thumbnail
yes in todays world being thin is definately in
2)Do the filmstars and models set a bad example to the youth
ya the actors/models do influence r youth as pple idolise thm n luk up 2 thm
3)Why is so much importance being given to the Thinness
in todays world gr8 impotance is being given 2 being thin coz of so mch exposue media,films n the whole dieting thing becoming popular
definately a toned bips.And i feel all should remember tht health is wealth n 1 shud never compromise wid it n shud eat healthy n exercise rather than starving oneself 2 death.
insouciance thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Buffie

So finally ,My answers

Yes,Thin is In..This a ka T_O_N_E_D....The flabby look was OUT along with Raveena Tandon......😛

Contrary to what everyone feel,I dont think they are setting any example...They have to be thin for their profession,and they have to be thin,so that when they don clothes(and since offlate,the hemlines have been contracting,Girls with thunder thighs would surely look pathetic🤢),they wouldnt look Vulgar....Now idolizing them is the people's idiocy👎🏼,thinking that they are the best,and everyone who dont look like them arent all that is ludicrous,there's no need to ape the stars....😊

But the biggest biggest delusion is that girls today consider the filmstars as the yardstick of beauty😕....Every girl wants to look atleast like an Esha Deol(who toned up to make up for the lack of everything else)....Which I find preposterous....Esha Deol,Ayesha Takia etc are just plain glamourous,they arent beautiful from any angle(My personal opinion)...Thus any girl,can be made to look as good as esha with the help of a stylist,a nutritionist etc..There's no need to get obsessed over these girls' washboard abs,and then stave yourself into anorexia🤢..and what everyone forgets is that Esha didnt stave,she worked out...Working out and eating healthy is the best way to lose weight,and in this way,even the face wouldnt lose its glow😛

MAinly because people today consider the bollywood girls as the yardstick of beauty .....

I am totally against being Fat and flabby....being TONED is the best gift one can give to oneself😳...Not for beauty,but for basic health,its good to be toned......

Especially girls could sufer from many weight related problems later in life if they dont keep a check on their weight....Thus exercising regularly is cardianl.Period!.....

But wanting to look like the emaciated Kate Moss or Keira is stupidity👎🏼...The healthy look is anyday better than the wafer thin skin and bones look.......being toned is the best😃

Your views😊

This content was originally posted by: legallyblonde21

well these ppl do set the trends in fashion and looks and young girls and even women and men all over want to look good so indian girls want to be as thinnn as say riya sen and deepika padukone so they can wear the outfits that Ash does versus girls in the west who want to look like lindsay lohan or kate moss or tyra banks 

Well,having seen Deepika from close quarters,I can vouch for the fact that she isnt anorexic,She's got an athletic body(she was an athlete in school😛)....

Tyra Banks is one of the very few western models who isnt stick thin...She's voluptuous,and thankfully,doesnt look anorexic😊...

Edited by Buffie - 17 years ago
IdeaQueen thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Yes!!!

No

Becoz thin people last long 😆

i will update this post later.as I have somuch to write about this.