FF:: Waiting for a Reason :: OliCity

Nmyra thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 9 years ago

Waiting for a Reason

Summary:

Based off a tumbler prompt - by Jemma-Ward "Arrow AU; After Isobel is arrested for trying to kill Oliver and take over QC, the company is in desperate need for some good publicity. Per the PR department's suggestion that he settle down with someone, Oliver talks Felicity into being his fake fiance until the latest PR crisis is over. Little do they know that Thea, cupid in disguise, is going to do her best to get them together for real."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Chapter One - Boardroom Bride

Chapter Two - Smoak Screen

Chapter Three - Arrow Through Her Heart

Author's Note:

Hello Loves! It' been a long time since I've posted on IF, but I've recently started writing again under the pseudonym LadyofMisrule only to find out that IF apparently does have it's own Arrow Community. So here we go - maybe in time I'll shift permanently back to IF instead of splitting my time between AO3 and FF.net

For now - please do read and review! 

Edited by Nmyra - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Nmyra thumbnail

Chapter One - Boardroom Bride

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Oliver Queen, was not an easy man. Not when it came to surprises at least.

Standing where he was, after five years of torment on an island known as purgatory, it was hardly surprising that this billionaire playboy by day and a caped crusader by night didn't shock easy.

Which was why when Oliver Queen, CEO of Queen Consolidated, found himself repeating his Public Relation Department's Head of Staff, in front of his ex-step-father, his baby sister, his pseudo-driver and a very particular blonde IT girl from MIT - he managed to do so with very little grace.
"And just how," he asked scathingly, "- would you propose I do that? A mail order bride perhaps?"

Diggle roughly cleared his throat, his eyes fixed on a point deliberately above Oliver's own head, no doubt to avoid the self-same glare Oliver had shot him mere seconds earlier.

"Actually Sir," stammered the now slightly uncomfortable Head of Staff, looking to Walter for encouragement, who's sage nod seemed to be a saving grace, because the man now turned back to his very own over six feet of a not-very happy CEO and clarified, in a voice so low, that Oliver had surely misheard.

"Excuse you?" Oliver asked lethally, ignoring the soft gasp that had echoed through the room.

"...Well...Ms.Smoak, has a particular charm...and..."

"And?" repeated Oliver, his hands itching for his bow as he drew himself to his feet, to tower dangerously over the bespectacled old man, finding it particularly satisfying when he seemed to scuttle behind Walter like a scared rat.

Unfortunately, the man behind whom the rat had chosen to hide' was neither as easily intimidated nor as unconvinced as Oliver. His soft British brogue, "The man may have a point," he calmly pointed out, turning his gaze not to Oliver but to his favorite Queen Consolidated employee, "Ms. Smoak, I can understand how this may sound above and beyond the call of duty, but regrettably, I find myself forced to ask you if - "

"You don't have to answer him Felicity." Snapped Oliver, his temper now about to reach boiling point as he watched Felicity's face drain of all color, in ways it hadn't even when Count Vertigo had held a double syringe of Vertigo to her exposed throat. "Do you even hear yourself Walter?" he continued, with slamming his palm into the heavy wooden table with barely restrained force. "Felicity is one of us - and you are asking her to -"

"Actually Oliver, that is exactly why I'm asking her." Walter explained, his calmness making his claim seem almost reasonable, as he continued to explain, "Oliver, your image is that of a fickle, irresponsible playboy, who I add regrettably is practically a professional dropout - your competitors are going to have a field day with you. What the PR Team needs to do now is to be able to contrast you with someone who is the exact opposite, they need to show stability, responsibility and quite frankly someone who is smart enough to put most of the Board of Directors to shame , and most importantly is loyal to us, to you - "

"Walter, I appreciate what you are trying to do, I really do, but even if I did agree to any of that, it wouldn't make a difference, because for one thing me and Felicity aren't - "

"Felicity and I." mumbled the still shell-shocked blonde to his right, only to earn herself the look she generally was subject to only when she managed to step into a particularly uncomfortable double entendre.

"Felicity and I," he continued, not noticing the bright grin that began to spread across Thea's face, or Walter's partial grin, or even the way Diggle happened to quirk his brow ever so slightly. "-are not and have never been involved - which any PR team worth its salt would figure out in hours."

"Actually," piped up the Head of Staff yet again, "Rumors about Ms. Smoak and yourself Sir, have been making the rounds for over a year now, you have even been photographed together numerous times, even more so since you hired her as your secretary' which everyone-"

"Executive Assistant." Snapped Felicity pushing herself out of her chair and dragging a hand through her hair as she attempted to process everything that was being said.

"Yes, well my point was that everyone already knows about the two of you Mr. Queen, the PR Department has been paying off tabloids to keep it under wraps, and if you don't mind my saying Sir, you could really use the positive press right now. Your investors need to see stability, security, and well ...that you've settled down."

Just as Oliver opened his mouth to deliver a particularly cutting setback to the idiot who happened to be Head of PR, Felicity's voice cut through, with a tellingly sharp quaver.

"Gentlemen? Mr. Queen and I are going to need the room for a minute." She nodded at Diggle, who immediately turned to usher the other two men out of the room, and turned back for Thea only to be told smugly that she was hardly a gentleman. Just as Oliver had been about to ask her to leave however, Thea rose graciously from her seat, and passed by her brother, her hand on his arm as she looked back at Felicity, "Ollie, I don't want to lose the company - it's all we have left of them." Her uncharacteristic plea, earning her a sharp nod of acknowledgement, before she left.

Their last memory of their parents, and all of it, he realized hung on one, very blonde, very inappropriate and currently very worried, young lady.

Nmyra thumbnail

Chapter Two - Smoak Screen

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Felicity Meghan Smoak, liked to believe that she was a pretty open minded person. Tracking down shipments of arrows, helping save masked vigilantes, titanium door ripping mega-humans, fleets of super scary assassins all of that and she still wasn't fazed.

Today however, Felicity was quite definitely fazed.

Initially, Felicity hadn't really given much of a damn about what Oliver's crazy PR Head had had to say. Which was hardly surprising since, this man was singularly responsible, for drowning her in epic levels of office contempt, every time she had so much as tried to get herself a cup of coffee since she'd become Oliver's glorified secretary.

The irony that his entire plan to salvage the company image for Queen Consolidated, now hinged on that self-same glorified secretary was not lost on her.

The man wasn't exactly dumb, she grudgingly admitted, as she reasoned through his logic, he basically wanted to get ahead of the gossip she and Oliver had become central talking points of, by taking the sleazy boss-secretary affair', and turning it into some sort of romance novel, the redeemed playboy, who fell for his Girl Friday', and having lost his family was now trying to save the company they had left behind. It wasn't a particularly great spin story, but it was definitely better than, the drop-out playboy, still lusting after the sister he'd cheated on with another sister, before God smote' them, which was probably what the other team was going to go with.

Her hands twisting nervously in her lap, Felicity, carefully began to smooth down her skirt, wondering for the umpteenth time, if her skirts really were too short, as Ms. Russian Roulette, had claimed, only to have her chin tipped up gently, her eyes meeting icy blue one's less than a foot away.

"You still don't have to do this Felicity."

"I can't not."

And just like that, the ragged catch in her voice, as she ended her sentence, tore at him. He never wanted to put her through this - never wanted to use her, not when she was so vulnerable, not when she was one of the few people who he knew really cared.

"I wish there was another way."

A vision of Laurel Lance, flashed before Felicity's eyes, "I'm sure you do."

"Feli...- "

"Let's just not," she cut in, looking at his shoulder instead of at him, "bother with a bunch of meaningless explanations. I'm pretty sure I've heard them already," she added, with another one of her self-deprecating smiles, thinking back to that mega-awkward Isabelle Rochev conversation, Post-Russia.

Just one look at Oliver's face and the grimace now firmly in place assured her that he knew exactly what she was talking about.

"Look," She said, pushing herself out of her chair as she carefully approached a jaw clenched Oliver, only to place her hand on his forearm, as she always did, " All I want is, for you to promise me, that when this farce ends, we do it on my terms, no going with what the PR Team suggests - cause let's face it we all know how that one's going to end and ...I'd really just rather be an amiable ex, instead of another notch in Oliver Queen's bedpost, who he got bored with and cheated on with an impossibly gorgeous leggy brunette, cause you do prefer brunettes right? Not to mention if, I continue to work for you, which I would really like to do if you don't mind, or at least go back to IT, I would totally get it if it was weird if I stayed on as your Executive Assistant booking your new dates and ...and...um..." she faltered painfully as Oliver closed the gap between them, curled his hand around hers and used his free hand to push her glasses back up her nose, as if he had done it a million times before, before bending down ever so slightly and pulling her into a crushing hug of what felt like intense relief, as he solemnly whispered, "I promise, Felicity."

For a second, Felicity let herself pretend that they were in very different circumstances.

Only to have Diggle, cough discreetly, as he came back in.

As if shocked by lightning, not that she was thinking of lighting which was actually something she associated more with Barry, who was hardly going to be on her mind while she ended up extracting herself from Oliver's arms, only to tug self consciously on her skirt as he cleared her voice and added in what still came out in a decidedly squeaky tone, "Right, then...um...let's get back to getting engaged?"

Four Hours Later,
The Boardroom, Queen Consolidated.

"...Guys...guys...guys...GUYS!"

Surprised Thea looked up, as did the rest of the now damningly quiet boardroom, from where she was sitting perched on the corner of the table, in the middle of a heated argument with Walter about how big the engagement party should be, and which designer needed to be contacted for Felicity's engagement gown - she was leaning towards a classic bride-ish Vera Wang outfit, to tantalize the press with.

"I know I'm just the fianc here," Felicity quipped, her nervous laugh, echoing awkwardly through the room as she swiftly added, "...but...I think you guys are going about this all wrong. It's an engagement not a Ball - does it really need to be this elaborate?"

"You realize we are Queen's -" Thea pointed out, "... we don't really do not-elaborate."

"No you don't," agreed the blonde, only to put Thea uncomfortably on point as she added, "Flaunting your wealth has always been something you guys just - do, but aren't we working on changing that exact image?"

Walter leaned back, carefully turning towards Felicity's obviously strained voice, wondering they hadn't made a mistake and pushed the young lady too far. She wasn't Oliver's usual fare, and as such hardly suited to deal with the practical elements of the arrangement. Before, however, Walter could voice any of his doubts, the young blonde, with a swift apologetic look towards both him and Thea cut in -

"Look, we all want the same thing here - but, maybe we should try a different approach this time. I mean, I know, I'm not the social maven here," she admitted with a roll of her eyes, "- but if the entire point is to have a more relatable, stable Oliver Queen, who is as far removed from his party-playboy persona as can be - how does announcing he's engaged at a MET level Gala do that?"

"Go on." Encouraged Walter as he steepled his hands in front of him, the image Ms.Smoak's laid out before them, vividly in his mind.

Clearing her throat, Felicity distracted herself with the Queen Consolidated logo she was tracing with the nib of her ballpoint pen, and continued, with her babble-rant, careful to keep her eyes off Oliver and definitely far away from Diggle, who seemed to just know every time here feelings weren't entirely platonic in terms of their pseudo-Bossman.

"I just think...that...if we really want to make Oliver come off as a changed man, he needs to be seen acting like one. Like a regular citizen. No elaborate announcement, no Gala, just a simple diamond ring, nothing flashy, a stroll down to the pier and ...maybe a pint of mint-chocolate chip."

The second Felicity Smoak's mentioned the pier', Oliver realized with a flash of insight entirely uncharacteristic of him, exactly what she was up to. She didn't just want to make him come off as a regular guy, she wanted to contrast him with the man he had been, to revisit and basically rewrite the past - his past - the dock, the simple ring, the low profile - she wanted it to be the exact opposite of what his relationship with Laurel had been.

For the briefest of moments, Oliver found himself wondering what it would have been like if it was real - Felicity and him - what would it have been like, to be with a woman so oblivious not only to his name and wealth, but to social constraints and acceptability. How different would he have been - if he'd known her before?

His eyes taking everything from her stiff smile all the way down to her fidgety pink-panda faced flats, Oliver, shushed Thea's protest with a firm shake of his head, instead siding with Felicity, nodding at her as he said, "It sounds perfect. But - "

"But?" she intoned woodenly.

"But, if we really want this to work, we are going to have to take a few days and prepare before tipping the Press off,"

She nodded sagely, only to freeze seconds later as he added, " ...and we are going to have to move you into Queen Mansion - With me."

Nmyra thumbnail

Chapter Three - Arrow through her Heart [Part I]

Hours Later,
The Foundry, The Glades.

"You do know," Interjected a particularly brutal John, as he ducked one of Oliver's fancy martial arts moves with a simple boxing feint, "- what you are doing," only to insert a quick right jab of his own, "Right?"

Using his forearm to block the jab, Oliver stepped back shifting his weight to his left leg as he let Diggle advance on him, expecting to spar for another minute or two, only to fall flat on his bottom as Diggle in a shockingly unsportsmanlike move swept a foot under him and sent him crashing onto the mat.

Shocking - until he saw the look on Diggle's face, as the other man crouched down mere inches away and in a decided break from character point out succinctly -

"This is Felicity, Oliver. Not one of your crazy ex-girlfriends. Not some casual fling you do and walk away from. Not someone who knows how to play the game. This is Felicity. I don't care how many deals she agrees to or for that matter, what she volunteer's' for - hurt her and I will hurt you. And don't think for a second I'll need an arrow to do it."

For a moment, it was almost as if the Foundry walls echoed, with John's voice.

And in that moment, Oliver, was suddenly awash with thoughts of all the many ways this media ploy could possibly go wrong. For a second he almost decided to put a halt to it. Not because of Diggle's threats, but because of what he'd said - this was Felicity - and he knew very well why Diggle was so protective, why she was more vulnerable than most when it came to filling a faux fianc position with him.

She may have agreed, but D in tenth grade algebra or not, even Oliver wasn't dumb enough not to know that her agreement wasn't purely a show of friendly solidarity. With her it had always been more. Walter had mentioned this was above and beyond, but the truth was she had always gone above and beyond when it came to him. And he knew why. Just as he knew he didn't deserve it - not from her, not when he had nothing to give back.

Did he know what he was doing? He raked a hand through his hand, as he looked over at her empty seat, God he hoped so.

Meanwhile,
Oliver's Room, Queen Mansion.

Without Oliver in it, there was something about Oliver's room that made Felicity feel very uncomfortable.

Her eyes sweeping from brocade curtains of dark green, to the white half-pillar-ish things looming in each corner of the room. The dull blue walls somehow making the heavy wooden bed stand out prominently, and all of a sudden, Felicity felt oddly dwarfed in the massive suite. Somehow she realized, even though the opulent surroundings seemed to fit in with the Oliver Queen image, it didn't seem to fit him. Not the him she knew.

Fidgeting with the black elastic hair band on her wrist, Felicity, found herself turning in a slow circle thrice before she felt like she'd actually finished taking in the room. It was singularly unremarkable - she'd realized with a jolt of disappointment.

Nothing in it was personal - a few globes, a couple of priceless paintings, some of the strangest lamps she had ever seen and a few photo frames and books - but nothing truly personal. Nothing that would make you think it was Oliver's room as opposed to any other billionaire scion, or so she thought, given that she hadn't actually been in any other billionaire scion's room. And now, for some strange reason, she felt herself clutching her coat a little tighter around herself in the already centrally heated room.

Her hands tracing the white stone carved fireplace, she let her thoughts wander back to a particular conversation from the boardroom earlier that day.

It hadn't been news to Felicity that Oliver Queen could be particularly persuasive when he wanted to be. But even so it hadn't taken him very long in that boardroom to convince her and every other person there that there was no way anyone was going to buy into their whirlwind' courtship, if they were living halfway across the city from each other. Oliver Queen would never, not have already moved in with the woman he was in love with. Plus, he'd added to her in a hushed undertone, if they couldn't speak at the office about their nights' they had to have some other place to do it.

Well not do it. He hadn't said do it. Oh for the love of God wasn't it bad enough she did the double entendre's aloud?

Just then, her eyes fell atop the luggage that had been brought up to the room for her, and she reached out and lugged it over to the massive wooden wardrobe. It was the oddest feeling she realized as she opened his wardrobe and pushed his hangers to a side to be making way for her own additions to it. It was such a couple-y thing to be doing, she realized with a jolt, her fingers skimming down the lines of one of his perfectly starched white dress shirts.

She was being stupid she knew. But there was something about his room that she did not like and it was more than just the fact that it didn't feel like it was his. It wasn't as if she didn't understand why the room was so absent of any trace of his alter-ego, but even so, the real Oliver, the Oliver that had returned from Lian Yu, was so much more than just the Arrow, or this playboy persona and this room seemed to deny all of that and more.

Hours Later, 

Queen Mansion

Thea Queen was about as far from nave as it was possible to be as a Queen.

Which she admitted, having seen her mother murdered in front of her eyes, and Malcom Merlyn as a father wasn't saying much. This wasn't about her though. This was about her though. It was about Ollie.

And Ollie despite everything he'd done and been through - was good and Felicity Smoak made him better.

She hadn't been the only one to see how she constantly built him up. How she'd been there for him, crying for him when he couldn't cry for himself, believing in him when the no one else did, when they had only seen him defined by his past or his bank accounts.

Somehow, Felicity always seemed to be there for Ollie, in all the ways she tried to be there for Roy. In ways her father, her real father, Robert Queen had been there for his family and Walter after him. Oliver needed that. Even if he couldn't see it. Even if he was just doing it to save the company - he needed her.

Her eyes turning to the stairs her brother had just bounded up, Thea felt the shadow of a smile touch tilt her lips.

If nothing else - he needed the hope she embodied. They all did.

devildiva21 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
awesome...
oliver n felicity gonna fake as a couple... now that would be interesting...😉 n ofcourse there is Thea playing the cupid😉 cool
continue soon
rbb1 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 4
Really nice story it will be interesting to see how they act as a couple and what Thea does, I like how Diggles warned Oliver about not hurting Felicity
SingaporeFan thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 4
Nice one...please continue soon..