Book Talk

Books about books?

her_story thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 9 years ago

I just finished reading an ever-so-charming and delightful book called The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Schaffer. For those who don't know about the book, here is the goodreads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2728527-the-guernsey-literary-and-potato-peel-pie-society
This novel is, to tell in plain words, a book about book. Being a self-proclaimed bibliophile, I love discussing and talking and above all, reading about books and this one was an absolutely satisfying read. Other books about books that I have read are 84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff and If On A Winter's Night a Traveller by Italo Calvino. I enjoyed both. 

I wonder whether anyone else here loves reading books that are about books? If so, which are your favourites?😊
Edited by miss_bennet - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Revolution2020 thumbnail
Sounds very interesting
Let me try it
SeasonOfLeaves thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Hello! My first post on this forum.. πŸ˜ƒJust like u I too love reading books about books.. My favourites have to be "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield.. It's a book I still haven't been able to forget... And up till now haven't found anything like it! It's a must read and it will keep you thinking for days ;)
Second one would be "Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon... A historical mystery! It's originally a Spanish book but I read the English translation πŸ˜ƒ
her_story thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: SeasonOfLeaves

Hello! My first post on this forum.. πŸ˜ƒJust like u I too love reading books about books.. My favourites have to be "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield.. It's a book I still haven't been able to forget... And up till now haven't found anything like it! It's a must read and it will keep you thinking for days ;)

Second one would be "Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon... A historical mystery! It's originally a Spanish book but I read the English translation πŸ˜ƒ

Oh wow nice to know! Thanks for the reply.πŸ˜ƒ

I haven't read the ones you mentioned, but they go in my never-ending to-read list. 😳

Edit: Just checked out your index and found you were in the Arjun forum! I used to be a member there too! Funny how we didn't really meet  there lol.πŸ˜†

SeasonOfLeaves thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: miss_bennet

Oh wow nice to know! Thanks for the reply.πŸ˜ƒ

I haven't read the ones you mentioned, but they go in my never-ending to-read list. 😳

Edit: Just checked out your index and found you were in the Arjun forum! I used to be a member there too! Funny how we didn't really meet  there lol.πŸ˜†

Haha guess what, I know youπŸ˜‰
Through Sakshi and Bharatee actually... You're Harsha right?πŸ˜ƒ I'm Ritu btw...sound familiar?πŸ˜›
I joined AF a bit late..and so must have missed you hehe.. 
Yeah I have a neverending to-read list tooπŸ˜†
And yes you should deffo read those books...trust me they both left me spellbound! If you like historical mysteries that isπŸ˜ƒ
her_story thumbnail

Haha guess what, I know youπŸ˜‰
Through Sakshi and Bharatee actually... You're Harsha right?πŸ˜ƒ I'm Ritu btw...sound familiar?πŸ˜›
I joined AF a bit late..and so must have missed you hehe.. 
Yeah I have a neverending to-read list tooπŸ˜†
And yes you should deffo read those books...trust me they both left me spellbound! If you like historical mysteries that isπŸ˜ƒ

Oh you stalker😲!!! Just kidding πŸ˜‰πŸ˜†hehe

Oh, right Ritu! I think I have seen you on FB lol, on Sakshi's profile, I guess even recently on her book list wala status hehe. And haha yes I'll definitely give those books a try. I do like historical mysteries as a matter of fact. πŸ˜ƒ
SeasonOfLeaves thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: miss_bennet

Oh, right Ritu! I think I have seen you on FB lol, on Sakshi's profile, I guess even recently on her book list wala status hehe. And haha yes I'll definitely give those books a try. I do like historical mysteries as a matter of fact. πŸ˜ƒ

Hahahaha I recognised your username πŸ˜‰
Yep that's me... hehe yes she made me do a book listπŸ˜ƒ
I think you'll like those booksπŸ˜ƒ
her_story thumbnail

Hahahaha I recognised your username πŸ˜‰
Yep that's me... hehe yes she made me do a book listπŸ˜ƒ
I think you'll like those booksπŸ˜ƒ
[/QUOTE]
Hehe I made her do the list πŸ˜†

I'll check out your list too then I guess πŸ˜ƒ
zephyr29 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Oh I totally forgot that one! I was under the impression it had to be about existing books 😳. I absolutely LOVED The Thirteenth Tale and it's one of my top recommendations. You are right, it's a haunting tale and difficult to forget. I was so affected by it I dedicated half my twitter handle to Vida Winter πŸ˜†
zephyr29 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Another book about a book would be The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. It may technically not be all about the book but the whole story arises from the discovery of an ancient book and its contents. That was a great read too, a bit far fetched maybe but engaging nevertheless.