Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

..Kimi.. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
Yes,as you mentioned reservation is not only on basis of caste but also on so many other factors.Like a person can go in and avail a seat in a Gujarati linguistic minority or a sindi minority college even after scoring below average marks.
The whole concept after such minority quota's in colleges was to facilitate education in that community.And hence,i feel a 20% reservation is fine.I mean ,a Gujarati association  have formed the college..so obviously,they will give some benefit to their own people.But even such things are taken advantage of because the deserving candidate ia always left behind.
..Kimi.. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
And i agree that the whole concept of "merit" should have been more than just ONE EXAM.So you put in efforts the whole years,and then just ONE exam is the determining factors.A child is not evaluated on something other that mere exams.In the US,universities look into extra curricular activities,other interests.They want to know EVERYTHING about you.They aren't solely interested in your marks.Marks are just one factor amongst so many others.
I feel we need to bring in some change.Bring an end to reservation,have continuous evaluation policy..so that a child can be groomed in other areas too.Learning should be fun.It shouldn't be making the child slog,just coz he has to make it in the IIT
-Trishh- thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: ..kimaya..

And i agree that the whole concept of "merit" should have been more than just ONE EXAM.So you put in efforts the whole years,and then just ONE exam is the determining factors.A child is not evaluated on something other that mere exams.In the US,universities look into extra curricular activities,other interests.They want to know EVERYTHING about you.They aren't solely interested in your marks.Marks are just one factor amongst so many others.
I feel we need to bring in some change.Bring an end to reservation,have continuous evaluation policy..so that a child can be groomed in other areas too.Learning should be fun.It shouldn't be making the child slog,just coz he has to make it in the IIT

Exactly! I don't like how in India, one test determines your admission. Like marks aren't everything! And what if that you are otherwise a brilliant student and do excellent everywhere else, but didn't do good in that exam.

One solution for reservation that would work is the thing shown in Aarakshan. We could have supplemental education for people who are below the poverty line which could have a very minimal fee if any. Or atleast have reservation only for people making under a certain amount. Caste or what region you belong from(like if you are Gujurati, Marathi) shouldn't even be a factor. I don't think there is any valid reason from what I know
Angel-likeDevil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

This issue is really not worth debating. The reservation "criteria" is none... politics are heavily involved in this.

Edited by Angel-likeDevil - 9 years ago
ChanandlerBong thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
The reservation quota was introduced to bring in equality , which means all races and people are equal. Upliftment of one doesn't mean that you have to degrade the other . 
I find this reservation policy extremely disturbing . Deserving ones lose chances to undeserving ones. 

We should head towards a "no-caste" system . Only true talent / knowledge should be a measure , not the cast . 

This issue cannot be solved any sooner . There is too much of politics involved in this