Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah

Daya's cookery skills and other's eating habits.

dey.bh thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

1. The Gadas: THey are GUjarati Jains. Jains are known for their rigorous eating restrictions. They cannot eat root vegetables. Yet they were shown eating Pau bhaji along with every member of GD society. One of the prominent ingredient of Pau bhaji is potato. How is that possible ?(Based on the fact that Jetha had said ,( " main Jain hun bhai, mere dukan ke samne kandha ka thela nahi lagena ka " to Bagha when he opened an onion shop near Gada electronics ")

2. The Mehtas: Mehtas are not only vegetarian but they are grass eaters in real sense. So, They can eat anything which says its vegatarian

3. The Sodhis: Parsis eat fish as far as I know. So, Mrs Roshan must be non- vegetarian. Similarly, Sardars are non-vegetarian to the best of my knowledge. 

4. Popatlal : Since he is Brahmin, I consider he is a vegatarian too. Besides, his diet must also exclude onion and garlic.  Edited: I dint know brahmins can eat onion and garlic. So, I apologise.😊

5.The Iyyers: Iyyer must be Tamiian Brahmin so no non-veg but he was eating garalic bread? Tamilian Brahmins eat onion and garlic????( Most brahmins exclude that. Edited: I m sorry my knowledge is pretty much restricted here. ) Babita's cult is difficult to judge because some Bengalis are strict vegetarians who follow a complete different routine to that of mine.

6. The Bhides: I cannot say much about it. Can someone please clarify

7. The Hathis: This surname doesn't exist. Its is difficult to judge to which clan they belong. They speak in Bhojpuri at times.  Edited: During the Colonel track ( Tapu finds a medal) HAthi says he is from N- India.

8. ABdul: He has to be a non-vegetarian. 

Overall, I dont understand how all of them dine together. Okay, fair enough they adjust for a day but please let me know how can all of them love Daya bhabis haath ka khana ? I think it has been overrated. People generally have peculiar habit of loving their own cuisine over others. Besides, Gujarati khana is typically sweet( As commented by Iyyer during Rann Utsav when he refused to eat in a dhaba) . How can all of them call her Annapurana?

P.S: The idea is neither to insult any culture or cuisine or characters in genral. All the ideas are either from basic knowledge or from the way it has been presented in the show. Only trying to understand how come people with different tastes turn up to say Daya's food is heavenly. Even the stars and the CID people could not resist themselves. 

India is a diverse country. Therefore what rule applies to one place doesn't apply to other places. Thus, mistakes are ought to happen. please feel free to put forward new information about these. Please understand the post is not suppose arouse regional feelings among the fellow members. Its about knowing your country better.

All the members are therefore requested to maintain the peace and discuss it maturely without getting personally hurt.

Edited by dey.bh - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

kedar575 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: dey.bh

6. The Bhides: I cannot say much about it. Can someone please clarify

he is Brahmin too and i think Konkanastha Brahmin so he is vegetarian. 
dey.bh thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: kedar575

he is Brahmin too and i think Konkanastha Brahmin so he is vegetarian. 

Okay😊 ThxEdited by dey.bh - 9 years ago
artifacts thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
She typically cooks Gujarati food. Once in a while it is nice to taste different cuisine. But don't know why she is called annapurna. By that definition even Madhavi, 
Komal or roshan should be aanapurnas, because they also must be cooking well too in their respective homes.

Although I don't think anyone but Gujarati would like to eat fafda so often. 
terenaam_ahm thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I guess she is called Anapurna because she is always ready to cook...😆, & always invites everyone...mai fatafat khana bana deti hoo..khana khaa ke jaana...😆

about food preferences unless & until u r strict with your caste and religion...now-a-days public has become liberal over their eating preferences...so i think it does not matter unless and until someone is comfortable eating whatever he likes..😊
dey.bh thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: terenaam_ahm

I guess she is called Anapurna because she is always ready to cook...😆, & always invites everyone...mai fatafat khana bana deti hoo..khana khaa ke jaana...😆

about food preferences unless & until u r strict with your caste and religion...now-a-days public has become liberal over their eating preferences...so i think it does not matter unless and until someone is comfortable eating whatever he likes..😊

Firstly they sell sanskaro ka achar. Secondly, India me ek hi chiz hia jo rigid hai wo hai caste. Remember Jetha's reaction to onions wehn Bagha started his business ? 
terenaam_ahm thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
@ Debby
agree with you...some people are very strict with their eating habits according to their caste..which i don't think is wrong...its personal preference..

but i have few friends who in family does not eat egg...cake or non veg...but when with friends they do, so its their  personal choice...one must not force anyone to fallow something...
Life_Is_Dutiful thumbnail
Daya is the heroine of the show so no matter what she does, she's always great for GD wasis. Tomorrow if she farts also then everybody will say,"daya bhabhi,kitni achhi khushbu aa rahi hai.Hamari daya bhabhi itna achha khana banati hai,khushbu toh aayega hi." 🤣
Kyahikahoon thumbnail
IPL 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 15 Thumbnail + 3
hey..no offence..but I get damn irritated when people with their half baked knowledge say that Gujarati cuisine is sweet.
IT IS NOT. At most it is a pinch of sugar with all other masalas..which doesn't taste essentially sweet..its savoury.
also..not all dishes contain sugar..it actually depends on personal preference too..i like sugar only in sweets.

Next, haathi is a surname in Gujarat.

Then, I have more than a dozen Jain friends..both from Gujarat n Rajasthan..who eat potatoes,onion,garlic n even eggs..they follow the restrictions in their holy period of paryushan...this is TRUE for my Brahmin friends too.

I live in Bangalore n all my non gujju friends love my food..mainly coz they R amazed by the variety of veg food items..and all of them like fafda..which is available at selected places in Bangalore.

Hope I added a few points to ur knowledge base. 
Edited by niyati13 - 9 years ago
dey.bh thumbnail
First of all thanks for being a microwave to me to full bake my knowledge.

Secondly, I am sorry you found my post offensive. Dear we are only discussing how come Daya's food is said to be the best of all. Every cuisine has its own merits and demerits and accordingly people have different tastes.. As for Gujarati food being sweet ,it came out of my own personal experience. Unfortunately, my cuisine doesnt use jaggery in the quantity that is used in Gujarati cuisine. Therefore I find it sweeter than others. 

If you have any grievance over why people say so, you must direct the anger to the makers because they too showed the same thing during the Ran utsav where Iyyer says the same thing. Secondly, another cookery show commented the same ( I cannot name as it is against the IF rules)

I never heard a surname called Hathi and here Hathi is not Gujrati for a simple reason that  he and his family speaks Bhojpuri. So, no point discussing it any further. If you have any information about Hathis from N- India, please do enlighten me.

As you have friends in Bangalore, I personally come to know some Jains here in Guwahati and yes they essentially don't eat anything that grows under the soil. As for your justification, Ahmad has already explained that cosmopolitan life has a different dimension altogether. But handful of people only make exceptions while I am talking about the community as a whole. Logically, even Jetha once reacted likewise when Bagha opened an onion shop near  Gada electronics.

My idea was neither to insult any person, community or culture. My idea ws to promote the ffact that each woman in GD society has their own cooking skills which the makers don't explore at all. Its like Daya has to be the champion as far as cooking skills are concerned. Anything she cooks is delicious. Accordingly, trying to understand why is it so.

I equally find it irritating when people try to understand people around them with the half-baked ideas they themselves have. I will  personally want people here to restrict their personal likes and dislikes and judge the characters of the show alone.

P.S: I really had no idea about Hathi being a surname anywhere in India. No offense intended. I have discussed it before but no body prior to you has turned up with the information

Edited by dey.bh - 9 years ago