skar1984 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
Hi Guys,
I'm a relatively silent member of this forum and I watch SSLK occasionally, I read the written update for today and the last part of the show caught my attention where the priest person said the time for engagement is over - what does that even mean?

I'm not religious nor do I participate in any rituals as such but Im curious to understand what does this even mean - an engagement is basically a promise that these 2 people are going to get married and are committed to one another. What is the need for a "proper" time for this? Similarly what is the logic behind a "proper" time to conduct the marriage ceremony? Here in the west you get married when you find a venue and set a date. 
Do people also find a proper time to file for a marriage licence which is when you are officially in the eyes of law married?

If the argument is that it ensures conjugal harmony then I'm sorry I fail to accept that as there are countless marriages that occur after matching horoscopes, picking auspicious times etc but the marriages dissolve or the couple is not happy - likewise countless people get married with out any of that and are happily married.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

crtkelly thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Don't have an answer, but  I am very interested in the reasoning behind this, as well. This entire engagement has been fraught with mishaps that appear to  be inauspicious:

Rachna ripping her skirt (Thanks for saving the day KT😳)

And today the flame on the prayer tray in danger of going out (Love to Daadi for the rescue😊)

Would love to have feedback on this as well.

Really Great topic.
Edited by crtkelly - 9 years ago
saravathi thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Nice post
As far I knew in south people wont see good time for engagement,If it was for marriage then its ok
It was really meaningless,I guess someone wi oppose it on monday
saravathi thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: crtkelly

Don't have an answer, but  I am very interested in the reasoning behind this, as well. This entire engagement has been fraught with mishaps that appear to  be inauspicious:

Rachna ripping her skirt (Thanks for saving the day KT😳)

And today the flame on the prayer tray in danger of going out (Love to Daadi for the rescue😊)

Would love to have feedback on this as well.

Really Great topic.

People say dress or anything should not be broken during any auspicious day,Its like some bad sign
n second one prayer tray,Thatz really considered too much in south,That light should never go off,else its like bad sign,for that matter even if there is power cut during marriage or engagement,the groom is gone,she would be named as unlucky,bcoz light is something more auspicious or godly for Indians
sidholic thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Hey, 
Don't knw much...but as far as I knw 
Its like u need to c the aupicious tym for both engagement as well as marriage...
Its like, if u get married or engaged not on the rite tym then u may have problems afterwards in lyf...
That's all wht I knw...
N its like if the engagement tym is kind of wrong then during marriage u gonna have lots of problems...
Phew, tht's all that I knw...
Sorry if I'm wrong :(
anjaanichudi thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
It is a very controversial topic. People have varied views on this, but most of the people in India do follow it.