ashdgr8 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 9 years ago

Will see them again in 3 days time 😃

ashdgr8 thumbnail

Guardiola wants Messi reunion with Argentina - Menotti

The former Albiceleste trainer, who guided the nation to World Cup glory in 1978, claims that the Bayern Munich boss would have jumped ship to take over the team this summer

Pep Guardiola wants to be reunited with Lionel Messi by taking the Argentina job, according to World Cup-winning coach Cesar Luis Menotti.

Guardiola's tenure as Barcelona boss coincided with Messi's ascent to being one of the best players in the world and the pair won every trophy possible during the trainer's four-year stint at Camp Nou.

Menotti, who coached the Albiceleste to World Cup glory in 1978, claims that the current Bayern Munich boss would have taken charge of Messi and Co. if the job had been offered to him this summer.

"I think he would have come," the coaching great said in his column for DPA. "He told me that he would like the Argentina job."

Instead of Guardiola taking charge of this summer's World Cup runners up, however, Gerardo Martino was hired as Alejandro Sabella's successor as Argentina's head coach and Menotti is not overly pleased with the selection.

"To me, what concerns me is that those in charge [of the Argentina football association] do not care what style of football he will play," he added.

Martino filled Guardiola's boots after the late Tito Vilanova - who was initially chosen to take over at Barca - fell ill during his opening season in charge.

He will now attempt to lead Argentina to Copa America glory for the first time since 1993 in next summer's tournament.

ashdgr8 thumbnail

Marcos Rojo reveals Juan Sebastian Veron convinced him to join Man Utd

MARCOS ROJO has revealed how former Manchester United star Juan Sebastian Veron backed his move to Old Trafford.

Sporting Lisbon star Rojo admitted he is close to joining United last night and is preparing to fly to Manchester today.

Express Sport understands a player-plus-cash exchange involving Nani or Anderson is on the cards.

And Rojo told in an interview with Argentinian station Radio Continental how a discussion with ex-United midfielder Veron helped sealed the deal.

"It's a dream to play at Manchester United and I am very proud of having the chance of working with [Louis] van Gaal," Rojo said.

"I spoke with Juan Sebastian Veron about Manchester United when we were at Estudiantes. I have always liked English football, and I should adapt to this new playing style easily."

Rojo played with Veron at Estudiantes before leaving in 2011 for Spartak Moscow and moving on again 18 months later to Sporting.

The 24-year-old put in a transfer request and refused to train in a bid to force his move to United, with the deal held up by a row between Sporting and third-party ownership group Doyen Sports, who own 75 per cent of his registration rights.

But Rojo has since apologised for his behaviour and while United's initial 16million bid was rejected a fee is close to being agreed.

"There was a misunderstanding, I never wanted to do something wrong at Sporting as I have always been very thankful to that team that gave me many chances for playing in Europe," Rojo added.

"If I made a mistake, I have already apologised because I didn't want to hurt the feelings of anyone at the club."

ashdgr8 thumbnail

Marcos Rojo (right) and Juan Veron (left) played together at Estudiantes.

SenpaiNOTICEME thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Ab baas kar Bhukkat ðŸ¤£
ashdgr8 thumbnail

Argentina without Messi and three others for Germany game

Lionel Messi is one of four injured Argentina World Cup players who will miss Wednesday's friendly against world champions Germany, the Argentine FA said on Monday.

Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Erik Lamela and Benfica winger Nicolas Gaitan have been drafted in to coach Gerardo Martino's squad for the match in Duesseldorf, the AFA said in a statement.

"(Messi) is suffering from muscle fatigue in his right hamstring. He is ruled out as a precaution," said the statement posted on the AFA website (www.afa.org.ar).

The AFA listed forwards Maximiliano Rodriguez and Rodrigo Palacio and central defender Ezequiel Garay as also unavailable through injury.

It added that winger Ezequiel Lavezzi was under observation after missing Paris St Germain's Ligue 1 match at the weekend with back trouble but he was included in a revised squad.

Lamella and Gaitan, who have a handful of caps between them, join a 20-man squad now captained by Javier Mascherano.

The teams meet again in their first international since Germany beat Argentina 1-0 after extra time in the World Cup final in Brazil on July 13.

ashdgr8 thumbnail

Revised squad:

Goalkeepers: Sergio Romero (Sampdoria), Mariano Andujar (Napoli)

Defenders: Pablo Zabaleta (Manchester City), Federico Fernandez (Swansea), Marcos Rojo (Manchester United), Hugo Campagnaro (Inter Milan), Martin Demichelis (Manchester City), Jose Basanta (Fiorentina)

Midfielders: Javier Mascherano (Barcelona), Fernando Gago (Boca Juniors), Lucas Biglia (Lazio), Ricardo Alvarez (Inter Milan), Augusto Fernandez (Celta Vigo), Angel Di Maria (Manchester United), Enzo Perez (Benfica), Erik Lamela (Tottenham Hotspur)

Forwards: Gonzalo Higuain (Napoli), Sergio Aguero (Manchester City), Nicolas Gaitan (Benfica), Ezequiel Lavezzi (Paris St-Germain)

ashdgr8 thumbnail

Lionel Messi to miss out on World Cup final rematch as Barcelona confirm groin injury

• Barcelona superstar injured his groin on Sunday during match at Villarreal
  • Friendly sees world champions Germany take on Argentina in a repeat of the final in Rio in July, where Mario Gotze scored an extra-time winner
  • Germany and Argentina keep majority of players from their final squads 
  • Tottenham's Erik Lamela called up to replace the Barcelona striker
ashdgr8 thumbnail

Argentina talisman Lionel Messi is set to miss the much anticipated friendly against world champions Germany on Wednesday due to a groin injury.

His club side Barcelona have confirmed the Argentina captain will miss the contest having picked up the injury in their 1-0 away won at Villarreal on Sunday and will also miss a charity match in Rome on Monday.

Leo Messi will remain in Barcelona as a precaution due to a strain in his right adductor,' Barcelona said in a statement on their website. Bara No10 will miss the match for peace in Rome on Monday and will also not be able to participate in the match between Germany and Argentina.'

The friendly in Dusseldorf on Wednesday offers Argentina an immediate chance for revenge for the World Cup final.

It's the first match for both sides since the dramatic final at Maracana in July, when Mario Gotze scored in extra time to give Germany their fourth World Cup title.

Tottenham's Erik Lamela and Benfica's Nicolas Gaitan have been drafted into the squad. 

Germany meanwhile have recalled 18 of its World Cup-winning players whilst Argentina, under the guidance of new manager Gerardo Martino, kept predecessor Alejandro Sabella's World Cup players.

The World Cup champions will be without Miroslav Klose, former captain Philipp Lahm and Per Mertesacker, who have retired from international duty.

Germany starts their Euro 2016 qualifying campaign against Scotland in Dortmund on Saturday four days after the friendly.

ashdgr8 thumbnail
Injured: Lionel Messi picked up a groin injury during Barcelona's 1-0 win over Villarreal on Sunday

Injured: Lionel Messi picked up a groin injury during Barcelona's 1-0 win over Villarreal on Sunday