Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah

Does the show lose much in translation to English?

mehtafan thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
Hi everyone!

I was channel hopping a couple of months back, and started watching the show a little bit before the storyline where Iyer got his promotion. I completely fell in love with the show and have watched every episode since then. I love how positive the show is, and enjoy it immensely.

The only language I speak is English, so I watch the show with English subtitles. Can anyone tell me if I'm missing any "subtle" jokes involving language etc.?

EDIT: Tonight's episode was missing subtitles on my recording :(
Edited by mehtafan - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

dey.bh thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Translation always makes you lose something or other. Everything cannot be translated. Some of the jokes and even some dialogues have a background. If you know the background you will find it way more funnier and logical than the English translation.

For example:  If one says, " Ghar ka bhedi Lanka Dhaye" it would be translated like ," Lanka was burnt because of a traitor" (  Meaning :WHo needs enemy when we have a friend like you). 

One won't be able to enjoy the scene if he has no idea about the Hindu epic Ramayana.

terenaam_ahm thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
@ mehtafan

Welcome for TMKOC forum family...

well u only speak English...but do u understand Hindi? i mean if u partially understand it then you will enjoy the show...now that u are watching hindi shows surely your hindi going improve and u will understand lot more...

as far as Taarak Mehta show is concerned...last few months this show has lost its charm...if u wanna really see...watch the earlier episodes of this show online...they were simply the best...
Edited by terenaam_ahm - 9 years ago
dey.bh thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Ahmad is right actually. Hindi is a very sweet language. Once you understand it there is nothing like it.😊