Harry Potter

Doubts & Discussions about HP book Series - Page 2

ExpectoPatronum thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 9 years ago
@Akash
Hagrid mentions once that, he took Harry out safely before the muggles started swarming in! I assume that the muggles would've heard a blast or something when Voldy blew the house but how much time would it take people to gather round? was Hagrid present there right after Lily and James were killed?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

This content was originally posted by: ExpectoPatronum

@Akash
Hagrid mentions once that, he took Harry out safely before the muggles started swarming in! I assume that the muggles would've heard a blast or something when Voldy blew the house but how much time would it take people to gather round? was Hagrid present there right after Lily and James were killed?

Yes I had similar doubts when I read this part in the beginning of the first book..unfortunately everything has been left to assumptions...
I think since Godric's Hollow is supposed to be an out n out wizarding village I just assumed that the village has zero muggle population.. so that would mean it would be at least 15 to 30 mins or more before muggles started swarming in..and I think that much time would probably have been enough for Hagrid to come and fetch Harry..however this time gap can only be assumed since no information has been given about exactly how far the muggles r from Godric's Hollow? or does the village itself contains muggle population in small number or none at all ?..m not sure though, I think I vaguely remember Harry & Hermione seeing muggle population in the village ( or atleast some evidence of muggle presence in the village)when they visited it in last book..but even so, muggle presence in Godric's Hollow might have been a recent development, may be during baby Harry's time there simply weren't any muggle at all..but like I said, we can only assume..
@ Vibha
Also, I think I vaguely remember someone ( most probably Hermione) mentioning something like pure wizarding village were in decline as in more n more muggle population is settling in what once used to be purely magical village & there are only few pure wizarding village left..so even if Godric's hollow contains muggle population now , it may have been pure wizarding village in the past when Harry was just a year old..
Almas. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Nice post.. I like ur doubts..๐Ÿ˜ƒ

My doubts๐Ÿ˜†
Horcrux wasn't supposed to be discussed with evryone..till the end .. Right?

Trio didn't evn tell abt horcrux to Lupin
And wen they get back to Hogwarts in d end..they didn't tell anyone y dey r finding diadem..
Or y killing snake was important...

But suddenly while confronting voldy Harry says "there are no horcruxes left..just you and me"
WHY why why...
Why mention it in front of god knows how many ppl..
Why took so much trouble hiding abt it..their secret mission etc..
Dumbly didn't  tell abt horcrux  to anyone but Harry..and evn askd to keep it secret ..
Then wat was the need to mention it..
Didn't it meant that everything they did secretly was actu not needed.. I mean obviously LUpin..or the Wesleys wud hv bn as trustworthy as Ron hermoine.. They cud hv helped find horcrux ..
They cud hv mde things easy.. But it was secret mission assigned to trio

There r few more..I ll cm up wid tht later๐Ÿ˜ณ
This content was originally posted by: iluvOriginals

Nice post.. I like ur doubts..๐Ÿ˜ƒ

My doubts๐Ÿ˜†
Horcrux wasn't supposed to be discussed with evryone..till the end .. Right?

Trio didn't evn tell abt horcrux to Lupin
And wen they get back to Hogwarts in d end..they didn't tell anyone y dey r finding diadem..
Or y killing snake was important...

But suddenly while confronting voldy Harry says "there are no horcruxes left..just you and me"
WHY why why...
Why mention it in front of god knows how many ppl..
Why took so much trouble hiding abt it..their secret mission etc..
Dumbly didn't  tell abt horcrux  to anyone but Harry..and evn askd to keep it secret ..
Then wat was the need to mention it..
Didn't it meant that everything they did secretly was actu not needed.. I mean obviously LUpin..or the Wesleys wud hv bn as trustworthy as Ron hermoine.. They cud hv helped find horcrux ..
They cud hv mde things easy.. But it was secret mission assigned to trio

There r few more..I ll cm up wid tht later๐Ÿ˜ณ

First of all, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH for bringing this up..if i could 'like' ur post a hundred times, i would, but unfortunately i cant even "like" it once owing to my dumb slow network ..i cant believe i missed this in the topic post, but then again this was the whole point of this thread, i was hoping that you all will add ur doubts & we can participate in this discussion trying clear or contradict each other's doubts.. tell you what, as & when new doubts pop in, i ll edit the topic post to add the new ones, so far i have to add ur's & Vibha's in the topic post..will do it later.. anyways, the following is my take on this doubt :

Yes, i too have wondered the same while reading the last book.. why , all this unnecessary "secrecy" ?.. "Lies & Secrets"- thats Dumbledore- "the mystery man"& he made sure to pass on this habit to his loyal student/follower.. I have been able to justify this secrecy pertaining to horcruxes but only to certain extent.. the way i see it, this secrecy was indeed important at least during the beginning of the horcrux mission, the reason being simply that, the more people know about it, the more chances there are of this crucial information reaching Voldermort & it was VERY IMPORTANT that Voldy be kept in the dark regarding this mission for as long as possible..STEALTH was crucial in this task, otherwise Voldy could have moved Horcruxes or tightened its security to the point that destroying them could have become an impossible task..its some what similar to "The Fedilus Charm" , the more "secret-keepers", the more diluted is the protection provided by the charm..So I believe Dumbly owing to his secretive nature & a little bit of logic made Harry promise that he wouldnt tell anyone except Ron & Hermoine since according to Dumbly, Ron & Hermy had proved their loyalty enough to be trusted with this secret , which indirectly proves that Dumbly never trusted anyone completely ( a trait similar to that of Voldy , in fact Dumbly was very similar to Voldy in some ways but that can be saved for another discussion ).. Dumbly knew that only Harry could complete this mission , the prophecy being one among many other reasons for this belief.. 
Ok, now so far so good..but i havnt been able to find a proper excuse or justification for this "secrecy" once Voldy came to know about the horcrux mission after the Gringotts fiasco..the ONE person from whom the secret was to be protected knew about it , so what was the point in continuing with this useless, unnecessary "secret"?!.. honestly, it really got on my nerves when the trio returned to Hogwarts to search for the Diadem but were still holding on to this "all so important secret" !.๐Ÿคข.didnt they know that the "secret's" validity was over once Voldy came to know about it ?.. the only excuse i have been able to form here is, they were just three 17 year olds afterall , so may be such things didnt cross their minds ( not even Hermoine's ๐Ÿ˜• ) when they were so much preoccupied with the mission ?.. or may be it was the matter of remaining loyal to Dumbledore & standing by the promise they made?.. may be it would have been clearer for the trio if Dumbly had given clear instructions- " Look here now, you are to keep this mission a secret as long as The Dark Lord doesnt suspect it , but if he comes to know about it, then there is no point in continuing with the secret,should that be the case, you are to immediately reveal the mission to the Order & get help every which way you can, & if you still continue with the "secret"- You are just being STUPID !, UNDERSTAND?!"   .. 
@ Almas, Vibha,Chandni & Everyone else, - Looking forward to more doubts & discussions !.. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Cutecj thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Okay I have small doubt, if Dumbledore knows everything and is aware of his environment then why did it take him a whole year, Cedric's death and Voldy's resurrection to find out that the moody in Hogwarts was an imposter when he actually was a dear frien of his.
I normally don't question J.K.R.'s work coz I love her writing and she is my inspiration when it comes to me writing my story anytime but this little thing just bugged me coz If Dbledore knew Voldy wouldn't have come back and it would be easier to rid him of this world .
This content was originally posted by: Cutecj

Okay I have small doubt, if Dumbledore knows everything and is aware of his environment then why did it take him a whole year, Cedric's death and Voldy's resurrection to find out that the moody in Hogwarts was an imposter when he actually was a dear frien of his.
I normally don't question J.K.R.'s work coz I love her writing and she is my inspiration when it comes to me writing my story anytime but this little thing just bugged me coz If Dbledore knew Voldy wouldn't have come back and it would be easier to rid him of this world .

Good one Chandni !..and yes we all love JKR for giving us HP, from which we all have come to learn & understand many many things, you may want to visit & participate in HP Classroom: Real-life Lessons when get time.. however, as true potterheads i think its only befitting that we acknowledge the things that didnt quite make perfect sense as opposed to everything else in the HP world.. there is no need to gloss over certain things in this otherwise perfect masterpiece..and i think even JKR would appreciate it..๐Ÿ˜Š
Now, coming to ur doubt- yes, its true & i think it bears a resemblance to another doubt put forth by me- "Why did Dumbly hire a Fraud like Lockhart for his students?"..but of course, this one is even more serious in that the concerned imposter was a skilled & dangerous death eater roaming around the castle full of students all year long..hmm..well, sometimes i think may be we take Dumbly too much for granted..i mean he too can make mistakes,moreover, JKR did bring forth this side of Dumbly as well ( Grindlewalt & the hallows stuff)..however, things doesnt still quite add up here..its true that Dumbly did some stupid things in the past but he learned from those mistakes & grew into an extremely wise wizard ( the fact Dumbly was skilled,talented & powerful goes without saying).. so its hard to digest the fact that the older Dumbly could be hoodwinked/fooled by the imposter or the fraud..about Barty Crouch Jr., it is even more so doubtful since Dumbly knew the real Mad-Eye Moody well & the imposter was practically working with Dumbly the whole year & managed to succeed right under Dumbly's nose !.. what makes it even more laughable is the fact that Dumbly finally realized the imposter bcoz " he took away Harry from Dumbly's sight after the last task,, which the real Moody would have never done"!.. i mean ,come on !..if Dumbly can be such a Sherlock & has a peculiar knack to see-through a person , then this was just a blooper committed for the sake of maintaining the plot of the book  !.. i can think of no other explanation , may be other members would be able to shed some light on it..
Cutecj thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I too thought it was more of a needed action as for voldy to come back hence be killed again ๐Ÿ˜• But still almost everyone in the book is all praises and idol to Dumbledore then how such a blunder???
Maybe it's what J.K.R. thought necessary, hmmm...
I have one more to add.. though JKR tried really hard to clear this out inch by inch by framing a conversation between Bellatrix & Snape, i still wasnt convinced ( and neither was Bellatrix ๐Ÿ˜†)- How come Voldy trusted Snape after returning in 4th book?.. Snape offered a lot of explanation & it all came to down to just one main reason- Snape offered valuable information & so Voldy was able to trust him..i feel it makes sense that someone like Voldy values service ( in this case inside information on Dumbly) & the fact that Voldy was soo thick that the fact that Snape might have been in love with Lily was of little importance to him, so yes that way this insane "trust" can be justified, moreover, its really not mentioned anywhere that Voldy actually "trusted" Snape, things like "trust" are so beneath Voldy that he never really cared for it as long as his servants prove useful to him(again it is a Dumbledore-like quality but for all the wrong reasons ofcourse) ..however, i still feel that someone like Voldy should have been a little more cautious & concerned while Snape was reintroduced among death eaters since after Voldy's first fall, Dumbly personally vouched for clearing out Snape's name from the death eaters list, Voldy should have known that Dumbly obviously had an iron-clad reason to trust Snape..so I just felt like Voldy should have tried a little harder to uncover the truth..but may be that is too far fetched after all.. 
This doubt was a minor one as compared to others that have been raised so far in this thread, but i thought i ll post it anyways..