Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 9 years ago
@ Anjali
The following is quoted from the Half Blood Prince Book , it is part of conversation that happened between Slughorn & Tom Riddle regarding Horcruxes :

"Yes, sir," said Riddle. "What I don't understand, though " just out of curiosity " I mean, would one Horcrux be much use? Can you only split your soul once? Wouldn't it be better, make you stronger, to have your soul in more pieces, I mean, for instance, isn't seven the most powerfully magical number, wouldn't seven " ?"

The following conversation took place between Dumbledore & Harry after the above revelation :

"He made seven Horcruxes?" said Harry, horror-struck, while several of the portraits on the walls made similar noises of shock mid outrage. "But they could be anywhere in the world " hidden " buried or invisible ""
"I am glad to see you appreciate the magnitude of the problem," said Dumbledore calmly. "But firstly, no, Harry, not seven Hor-cruxes: six. The seventh part of his soul, however maimed, resides inside his regenerated body. That was the part of him that lived a spectral existence for so many years during his exile; without that, he has no self at all. That seventh piece of soul will be the last that anybody wishing to kill Voldemort must attack " the piece that lives in his body."

And then a year later, it was revealed that Harry was the unintended horcux bringing the total number of horcruxes to 7 & the number of fragments of Voldy's soul to 8...

But what isnt clear is, was Voldy after making "seven horcuxes" or just "splitting the soul into seven pieces in total & making only 6 horcruxes" ?.. going by the conversation between Slughorn & Tom , it seemed like Tom was talking about seven horcruxes but there is no assurity of that since Tom wasnt being very clear about his precise intentions for obvious reasons..and about the conversation between Dumbly & Harry , Dumbly wasnt being completely honest for obvious reasons ( Dumbly was very well aware of Harry's Horcux identity & had to be careful while answering & thus forced himself to be unusually calm during this conversation)..so the relationship between the "parts of soul" , "number of horcuxes" & "Voldy's actual intentions" still isnt clear..

And now there is still the second doubt regarding Horcruxes that is yet to be discussed, How did Harry return from afterlife unharmed defying all the logic applicable to other horcxuxes?
Edited by Quixotic5 - 9 years ago
QuietlyLoud thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
@Akash 
Here's my.take regarding your second doubt.
well Harry didn't have to return from after life 'cause he didn't die in the first place. When Voldemort cursed,only thing the it did destroy was the part of voldemort's soul embedded in Harry's body leaving his own soul and body unscathed .This happened because he used elder wand.When Voldemort used killing curse for the first time in the forest,Harry was not himself. He had a part inside his body that didn't belong to him -Voldemort's soul. Elder wand recognised this and when Voldemort struck,it let the curse hit Harry and just killed the part that didn't belong to his master. When he again used killing curse against  Harry later that night,Elder wand knew it's master was himself so the curse rebounded since it won't hit its master. 
Now destroying horcruxes that are beings is different from inanimate horcruxes.When Nagini was killed both Voldemort's and her own soul and body was destroyed along with it because she didn't have any protection against basilisk venom/sword unlike Harry had with elder wand.Had it not been for Elder wand,Harry too would have killed in the process.From Harry's case I'd assume horcruxes that are beings can be destroyed without harming the body but that is only possible if you have some kind of immunity like Harry had because you can't possibly harm a soul be it his own or somebody else's without harming the body. So Harry's is a special case😉

QuietlyLoud thumbnail
@ Akash 
Looks like you still didn't get horcruxes and split souls.
Tom Riddle told Slughhorn that he would like to split his soul into 7 parts (that would be 6 horcruxes) he didn't say anything about making 7 horcruxes.He just said he would like to split his soul into 7 parts.So that's pretty clear.
Dumbledore didn't reveal to Harry that he was a horcrux untill the last minute,so in HBP,he just told him there were only 6 horcruxes instead of 7 and corresponding number of split souls.That's all :)
Edited by QuietlyLoud - 9 years ago
Originally posted by: QuietlyLoud

@ Akash 

Looks like you still didn't get horcruxes and split souls.
Tom Riddle told Slughhorn that he would like to split his soul into 7 parts (that would be 6 horcruxes) he didn't say he wanted to make 7 horcruxes.So that's pretty clear.
Dumbledore didn't reveal to Harry that he was a horcrux untill the last minute,so in HBP,he just told him there were only 6 horcruxes instead of 7 and corresponding number of split souls.That's all.

No, Anjali, it isnt that simple.. lets take a look at Tom Riddle's conversation with Slughorn once again, shall we ?..

"Yes, sir," said Riddle. "What I don't understand, though " just out of curiosity " I mean, would one Horcrux be much use? Can you only split your soul once? Wouldn't it be better, make you stronger, to have your soul in more pieces, I mean, for instance, isn't seven the most powerfully magical number, wouldn't seven " ?"

The entire conversation is based upon Tom's apprehension about just having one horcrux & this conversation ends with him desiring to have his soul in 7 pieces..since the above quoted isnt particularly a long conversation, i dont think it will be far-fetched or a hyperventilation to assume that when Tom talked about "having his soul in 7 pieces" , he was talking about "creating 7 horcruxes".. however, i must say JKR takes the cake here for carefully framing the conversation between Voldy-Slughorn & Harry-Dumbledore..she just didnt make things clear enough..she carefully avoided what would have ended up as another loop hole..but that was a close call, really narrow escape i must say..       

@Akash 

Here's my.take regarding your second doubt.
well Harry didn't have to return from after life 'cause he didn't die in the first place. When Voldemort cursed,only thing the it did destroy was the part of voldemort's soul embedded in Harry's body leaving his own soul and body unscathed .This happened because he used elder wand.When Voldemort used killing curse for the first time in the forest,Harry was not himself. He had a part inside his body that didn't belong to him -Voldemort's soul. Elder wand recognised this and when Voldemort struck,it let the curse hit Harry and just killed the part that didn't belong to his master. When he again used killing curse against  Harry later that night,Elder wand knew it's master was himself so the curse rebounded since it won't hit its master. 
Now destroying horcruxes that are beings is different from inanimate horcruxes.When Nagini was killed both Voldemort's and her own soul and body was destroyed along with it because she didn't have any protection against basilisk venom/sword unlike Harry had with elder wand.Had it not been for Elder wand,Harry too would have killed in the process.From Harry's case I'd assume horcruxes that are beings can be destroyed without harming the body but that is only possible if you have some kind of immunity like Harry had because you can't possibly harm a soul be it his own or somebody else's without harming the body. So Harry's is a special case😉

So Harry's case was special since he was the true master of elder wand & the elder wand was able to defy all logic applicable to other six horcruxes & destroy the enemy's soul selectively without harming its master.. hmmm..i will agree that is the best possible explanation that could be provided but it still doesnt answer a LOT of the questions :

1. Firstly, the elder wand played no part in destruction or resurrection of Voldy's or Harry's soul in this case..it did not show any partiality towards its true master since its curse sent both Harry's & Voldy's soul into afterlife, the difference being Harry's soul was able to return but Voldy's remained stuck there in the form of that hideous creature.. (which i believe was attributed to the difference between Voldy's & Harry's karma & had nothing to do with the elder wand since the elder wand technically killed both of them as both Harry & Voldy were transported to afterlife )   

2. How come "Avada Kadavra" worked against a horcrux ?.. there was no such mention even a remote mention regarding this phenomenon prior to or even after Harry came back from the afterlife..and it is HIGHLY unlikely that Hermoine would have missed such an important detail while studying horcruxes since they were very well aware that Nagini too could be horcrux , so its very much possible that Hermoine could have gone through "being horcruxes" or something of that effect.. no explanation provided in the books, everything left to assumptions

3. If the death curse can work on "being horcruxes" , why wouldnt it work on "object horcruxes" ?.. as you rightly said, the elder wand only destroyed the part of Voldy's soul inside Harry's body , then the "object horcruxes" too have Voldy's soul inside them which could have been killed or transported to afterlife with the death curse since even the "object horcruxes" were technically beings due to the presence of a soul inside them.. but that wasnt the case since it was specifically mentioned that in order to destroy the soul hidden inside the horcrux, one has to destroy the "horcrux container" & the "death curse" doesnt destroy the container & neither the soul inside the container , it just separates the soul from the body , rendering the body lifeless but keeps the soul & the body intact..so its very very illogical that the death curse be used for destroying a horcrux, whether a being or an object..again, no explanations provided in the books , everything left to assumptions.

4. Most importantly, as per the horcrux logic, the container of horcrux & the part of the soul hidden inside it , have no independent existence unlike "human body & soul" , meaning if the container survives, the part of the soul hidden inside it too survives..so if Harry returned, Voldy's part too should have returned.. yet again, no explanations, everything left to assumptions..
QuietlyLoud thumbnail
^that's such a long post even to read😆looks like you've got endless time to spent on the topic!
well I think i have already explained all those new questions so it'd be just a waste of time to repeat it again.
So I'd love to discuss any new doubts 😊

Surya_krsnbhakt thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
My answer in purple.
Originally posted by: Quixotic5

1. Firstly, the elder wand played no part in destruction or resurrection of Voldy's or Harry's soul in this case..it did not show any partiality towards its true master since its curse sent both Harry's & Voldy's soul into afterlife, the difference being Harry's soul was able to return but Voldy's remained stuck there in the form of that hideous creature.. (which i believe was attributed to the difference between Voldy's & Harry's karma & had nothing to do with the elder wand since the elder wand technically killed both of them as both Harry & Voldy were transported to afterlife )  
I think what happened is this: (my interpretation)
The Elder Wand's True Master is Harry. The elder Wand never hurts its True Master...
But who lives inside Harry? A fragment of Voldemort's soul...
So, while it did no damage to Hary, it attacked Voldemort's soul which was still living inside him.. So the Elder Wand had a major role in the destruction of Voldemort!

2. How come "Avada Kadavra" worked against a horcrux ?.. there was no such mention even a remote mention regarding this phenomenon prior to or even after Harry came back from the afterlife..and it is HIGHLY unlikely that Hermoine would have missed such an important detail while studying horcruxes since they were very well aware that Nagini too could be horcrux , so its very much possible that Hermoine could have gone through "being horcruxes" or something of that effect.. no explanation provided in the books, everything left to assumptions
As a continuation of the above answer.. The Elder Wand attacked Voldemort's Soul which is present inside Harry... in effect, it was destroying the essence of Voldemort which was inside Harry. Harry is also a special case, being a living creature inhabited by a soul. More importantly, Harry allowed himself to be killed. And that makes all the difference in the world, as Dumbledore put it in King's Cross.
When Harry, the owner of the horcrux, accepted the destruction of his body, it left no room for the soul to stay. Because, the Killing Curse, in destroying the essence of Voldemort's soul, destroyed its connection with Harry, and once it did that, the soul had no place to go, and it was destroyed.

3. If the death curse can work on "being horcruxes" , why wouldnt it work on "object horcruxes" ?.. as you rightly said, the elder wand only destroyed the part of Voldy's soul inside Harry's body , then the "object horcruxes" too have Voldy's soul inside them which could have been killed or transported to afterlife with the death curse since even the "object horcruxes" were technically beings due to the presence of a soul inside them.. but that wasnt the case since it was specifically mentioned that in order to destroy the soul hidden inside the horcrux, one has to destroy the "horcrux container" & the "death curse" doesnt destroy the container & neither the soul inside the container , it just separates the soul from the body , rendering the body lifeless but keeps the soul & the body intact..so its very very illogical that the death curse be used for destroying a horcrux, whether a being or an object..again, no explanations provided in the books , everything left to assumptions.
Refer the above answer.

4. Most importantly, as per the horcrux logic, the container of horcrux & the part of the soul hidden inside it , have no independent existence unlike "human body & soul" , meaning if the container survives, the part of the soul hidden inside it too survives..so if Harry returned, Voldy's part too should have returned.. yet again, no explanations, everything left to assumptions..
Again refer the 2nd answer...
And the answer lies in your question itself -  the container of horcrux & the part of the soul hidden inside it , have no independent existence unlike "human body & soul".
So when the killing curse destroyed Voldemort's Ansh Ka Sthaan 😛 Viddhimaan inside Harry's shareer, naturally, the Ansh-aatma had nowhere else to go, and it was destroyed.

^that's such a long post even to read😆looks like you've got endless time to spent on the topic!

well I think i have already explained all those new questions so it'd be just a waste of time to repeat it again.
So I'd love to discuss any new doubts 😊

Well since it doesnt intrest you anymore & DUE RESPECT TO YOUR PRECIOUS TIME, i suggest u have a go at "Felix Felicis" & " Dumbledore's useless puzzles pertaining to the Hallows "...
@ Surya
Glad to have you here..😃..none of my doubts reach its culmination without you participating in it ! ⭐️ 

With regards to ur clarifications, i need some time to grasp & get back on it..😆
Surya_krsnbhakt thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Quixotic5

Well since it doesnt intrest you anymore & DUE RESPECT TO YOUR PRECIOUS TIME, i suggest u have a go at "Felix Felicis" & " Dumbledore's useless puzzles pertaining to the Hallows "...

Now now Draco, play nicely...